Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

That's literally the dude I mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a happy one:

http://www.businessinsider.com/lottery-winners-who-lost-everything-2013-12?op=1

quote:

Billy Bob Harrell Jr. had his prayers answered, but his luck ran out after he couldn't say no.

Thomas Hawk

A Pentecostal preacher working as a stockboy at Home Depot got his prayers answered when he hit the $31 million jackpot in 1997, Business Pundit reports.

At first, life was good with Billy Bob buying a ranch, six other homes, and some new cars.

But like many others who win the lottery, he just couldn't say "NO!" when people asked for a handout.

Later in life he divorced and eventually committed suicide.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Why, in the wild blue gently caress of all fucks upon this gay Earth, would you be carrying 800,000 in loving cash?

There isn't a hooker on Earth worth that amount of money.

What, do you buy your blow by the "fuckton"?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

lol gj giving it all away. Seriously though I would probably take the annuity option despite it being trivial to make more in interest on the lump sum, since I have no self control, so at least I would just hit rock-bottom until next year's payment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The answer to that is people that aren't used to having money are terrible with money. If you're used to living check to check and spend your checking account to single digits every month, you're gonna do the same thing even if takes much longer to accomplish it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Taxes? What are taxes?

http://www.businessinsider.com/lottery-winners-who-lost-everything-2013-12?op=1

quote:

Rhoda and Alex Toth both landed in court for tax evasion.

Alex and Rhoda Toth hit the $13 million jackpot in Florida in 1990. Within 15 years they were destitute.

According to the Tampa Bay Times, the couple declared bankruptcy and were eventually accused of tax evasion by the IRS.

Alex passed away before his case went to trial and Rhoda eventually served two years in prison.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So the lottery preys upon the stupid and weak willed. Then, once the stupid and weak willed win said lottery, they just pump the money pack into the....

Oh god, it's a perfect loving circle.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
What I'm getting from this thread is that a lot of complete idiots win the lottery.

So that means a dummy like me has the greatest chance of winning.

Therefore I'll just go ahead and start pre-spending all my winnings on the San Francisco housing market, and start investing in every business that has an app. :downs:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Solice Kirsk posted:

Scrub tier lotto winning plans here. Maybe you should invest in a fleet of taco trucks that only serve mashed potatoes. Be sure to correct anyone who calls them "potato trucks."

that sounds fun and cool

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MrChupon posted:

lol gj giving it all away. Seriously though I would probably take the annuity option despite it being trivial to make more in interest on the lump sum, since I have no self control, so at least I would just hit rock-bottom until next year's payment.

Trusts exist

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Trusts exist

Cool hopefully the lawyer who fleeces my retard rear end will advise me of such

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

im gonna play so nobody else buy a ticket because im really good at the lottery

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a real jerk posted:

im gonna play so nobody else buy a ticket because im really good at the lottery

When you lose it just means the lottery will only progress by like :10bux:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
have any of you won yet?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I won once and now I spend every day posting on Something Awful Dot Com and being fanned by my servant, Abernathy.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

VendaGoat posted:

Why, in the wild blue gently caress of all fucks upon this gay Earth, would you be carrying 800,000 in loving cash?

Need some walking around money man

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

If you're ever considering playing one of these dumb lotteries, play one of your smaller state lotteries instead of powerball/mega millions. The odds of winning the big prize and a prize at all are much better.

In my state, the lottery starting at $500k has odds of 1:2,517,200. That's still a life changing amount of money for most people. Even winning just the one million prize in powerball and mega millions is 1:11,688,054 and 1:18,492,204. Also that state lottery gives you two sets of numbers for $1, powerball and mega millions only give you one set of numbers for $2 and $1.

El Duderino
Mar 28, 2003

If you're not into that whole brevity thing..

MrChupon posted:

On one of those show specials where they see what these fucks did with the money, i remember them covering some poor schmuck who had the same idea. But he blew through his payments so fast, and was always counting the days till his next payment, he resorted to loan shark type dealers who would give him his payout now in exchange for his next 3 or some absurd amount. Do that a few times and you're hosed ultra fast...

As for myself. I would love to buy a lake front property with my own dock, drink myself stupid on my boat and fish all day long. What's that, you say I don't have to be a mega millionaire to do that? Well I would be bringing harems of hookers along with me on my boat, so...poo poo adds up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Black Baby Goku posted:

I'll be playing and if I win I'll give a million to the funniest poster in the thread

Good thing you won't be keeping that million

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I would be terrified to turn in a winning ticket. It's like putting a huge target on your back for every scumbag out there to come try to take your money from you. I would probably wait until the last possible day it was valid and hope that most people had forgotten how big the jackpot was.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Pawn 17 posted:

I would be terrified to turn in a winning ticket. It's like putting a huge target on your back for every scumbag out there to come try to take your money from you. I would probably wait until the last possible day it was valid and hope that most people had forgotten how big the jackpot was.

I think you'd probably want to turn it in halfway through the valid period to allow the press to cool down about the jackpot story. Wait until the last day and they'll ramp up again with 'unclaimed giant jackpot' type stories.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

MrChupon posted:

I think you'd probably want to turn it in halfway through the valid period to allow the press to cool down about the jackpot story. Wait until the last day and they'll ramp up again with 'unclaimed giant jackpot' type stories.

True, true. Lotto winner problems!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You have to pay taxes on lottery winnings?
What sort of communist country are you people living in?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

If nothing else, there are still a handful of states where you can remain anonymous when claiming your lottery winnings. I live in one :smug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

You have to pay taxes on lottery winnings?
What sort of communist country are you people living in?

Well, it was developed as another way to tax the poor soooooooo......

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
My ultra consuming coworkers are in a lottery pool. Of which I am part.

I am part of it because I need to hedge against the chance of them winning. If they win and I don't, I won't be able to stand watching them blow all the money on trips, cars and hot tubs. And then end up worse off after a few years.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

My ultra consuming coworkers are in a lottery pool. Of which I am part.

I am part of it because I need to hedge against the chance of them winning. If they win and I don't, I won't be able to stand watching them blow all the money on trips, cars and hot tubs. And then end up worse off after a few years.

Peer pressure works kids!

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

VendaGoat posted:

Peer pressure works kids!

Sure does. 4 bucks every two weeks is worth the peace of mind. I'm expecting to retire early in 10-15 years, so worst case I end up $2000-2500 poorer by the time I call it quits from here.

edit: I'm still a tragic clown for following along.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 4, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am going to invest in the Big Green industry until they are profitable enough to exist without the subsidies keeping them in business.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Losers get out!
($1.43 on return)

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Here in IL I just multiply any advertised winnings by 38% because that's pretty much what you get every time after all the taxes (including the full 35% federal tax). Hell, I'll probably not buy a ticket unless nobody wins this Wednesday. It'll probably hit $450M. So like... ~$171M.

Also after watching High Profits on Netflix I feel like I'd try out my own grow out there. Although I'll probably end up doing it anyways considering I've been wanting to move there after graduation for several years now.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 4, 2016

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

TheReverend posted:

Losers get out!
($1.43 on return)

nice. i was running at something like 0.6

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I forgot to simulate my lotto ticket for this week but next week... for sure

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

El Duderino posted:

As for myself. I would love to buy a lake front property with my own dock, drink myself stupid on my boat and fish all day long. What's that, you say I don't have to be a mega millionaire to do that? Well I would be bringing harems of hookers along with me on my boat, so...poo poo adds up.

tbh I would not give a poo poo about the money

is there a lottery where you can win the love of a woman

i'ma be scratchin all day for that poo poo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
lotto just seems to be a tax on poor folks who are also not super bright

or maybe it's also like a buy a bit of hope in number-guessing-game form so you can continue on one more day thing; I guess I can't judge

one of my coworkers won like 3,000 bucks or something and had to wait a few months to get paid because IL had not hammered out a budget appropriation for paying lotto winners or some poo poo lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MiracleWhale posted:

Yes, it's called "Powerball." If you can't find a woman with $171 million in your pocket then you are not looking for a woman.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yes, it's called "Powerball." If you can't find a woman with $171 million in your pocket then you are not looking for a woman.

that sounds like a great way to end up with a gold digger

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MiracleWhale posted:

Women dont understand supreme gentlemen
If you have money they will have to love you
drat the alphas
I try to push womans off balconies to prove im a supreme gentleman

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MrChupon posted:

I'd put it all in some VERY low yield stock. Just watch it get eaten away by inflation, little by little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

Women dont understand supreme gentlemen
If you have money they will have to love you
drat the alphas
I try to push womans off balconies to prove im a supreme gentleman

I just want a woman that will talk poo poo to me and give me a bj and vomit all over my dick

• Locked thread