Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GloomMouse posted:

I wouldn't mind if there was a "promote to next tier" option, and until you did it your guys wouldn't gain more xp.

This is the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
being level 2 is still a trivial way to smash low level dungeons

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lol if you want to take over leveled characters into low level dungeons. just cheat in some free xp or something if you want to play Extra Easy mode instead of modding in a pointless and mind numbing grind. the entire idea of wanting to run through dungeons with no challenge at all boggles my mind, why are you even playing this game at that point?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The main reason why you'd want to bring higher-level guys into apprentice-level dungeons is for the relatively guaranteed money, I think

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

wanting to run trivial dungeons over and over one shotting everything along the way for the tiny amount of gold you get is even worse than doing it for xp

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's not that crazy. Sometimes there's a boss you missed or a trinket you want, but you don't have enough people in the tier, or the ones you do have make a garbage combo. It'd be nice if the game had a mechanism to deal with that

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I remember that I had one more boss to do but all my teams had outlevelled it and my roster was full.

Would have been nice to not have had to fire a couple dudes and train more up from scratch to handle it. It just adds grind.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

So out of curiosity I checked around to see what people think about game's EA progress and difficulty elsewhere. Then I remembered why that's usually not a good idea.

quote:

It's a question of critical thinking. If you have no critical thinking ability you will think the game is great, which is why it has the self selected community it does. If you do you won't know how it was, but you'll know how it is now isn't right. PS: Hellions are still god tier, the nerf is 100% meaningless.

If the devs had stuck with their vision of a hardcore game and fixed the balance instead of lying so that they could retain their casual audience the game would be solid and noncontentious, but less profitable. Money at any price is what these people want.

As for mods fixing it... I've already tried that. It failed. The other guy made a grind/tedium mod and got hired because that's what the dev's "vision" is.

As far as I'm concerned this game is getting review bombed on release by returning Feburary sorts, and the only way it won't is if Apathy Simulator works its magic and makes no one care anymore.

quote:

So what were the design decisions that were bad?
All of them honestly, but non facetiously they design everything in a vacuum while ignoring what anyone thinks or provides feedback on. This effect became pronounced on July 15th, which is also the point the game exploded. So they do this random poo poo, it comes from nowhere and is based on nothing. The developers don't understand their own game and are really bad at it so not only are they blind, they are poor judges of difficulty. If you want examples find any feature added July 15th or later and let them explain their reasoning behind it. It will be incoherent bullshit and will also be false. Often they won't explain their reasoning behind it because they know their logic is weak.

Corpses are both the most blatant example and their strawman that they hide all the other problems. They claim it counters meat grinding and makes more abilities useful and makes the game harder. Of course enemies with no attacks can't make the game harder, any feature that slows the game down is countered by speed which means damage spam so that is LESS abilities useful (especially since the same patch nerfed all non direct damage), and meat grinding was always poo poo because every formation is a front row that does nothing and a back row that does something so why would anyone attack the enemies who do nothing first (aside from streamers not watching their screen)? They are far from the only example though. The result is a tedious grind fest mismarketed as a difficult game in which you can watch idiots prattle about how hardcore they are then make them run right the gently caress away from any actual hardcore feature.

quote:

They don't think through anything from the player perspective at all. Just ask them about afflictions, they'll say some poo poo like them being an interesting choice... um no? If for whatever reason a character gets afflicted you immediately leave the quest, as you will lose control of them and by extension tactics. There's no penalty for failing a quest, whereas there's a minor one for regrinding a dead character. They design everything in their vacuum and well yeah. This.

quote:

And no, it can't be saved. It is however being falsely advertised even more aggressively than before and I won't sit back and just let that happen because about the only thing this game succeeds at is bringing out the negative emotions in people. The developers became delusional, egocentric, and completely disconnected from logic and reality.

quote:

So can we discuss the biggest Early Access scam of all time again or will it be more shitposts?
TL, DR: game's gone to poo poo since July 15th update and is now a tedious grind, if you still like it you're an idiot with no critical thinking ability. Someone's felt strongly enough about it to produce ten pages of this.

I just thought it's a little game with neat aesthetics and found making up random parties that surprisingly work and creating little stories about my stressed out characters fun, but it turns out I've been buying into the greatest EA scam of all time. :shrug:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Corpses were a great inclusion and I'm always baffled when people try to pinpoint that as the patch where Darkest Dungeon started to go "Downhill" as it were. The corpse concept benefits the balance of the game in a lot of ways, though admittedly a few of them are somewhat invisible to the casual player.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This guy is such a control freak that he drops out of mission when someone gets afflicted, not because he doesn't want to get the whole team stressed out until it collapses upon itself, but because it "will lose control of them and by extension tactics". I get that it messes with your tactics but can't you seriously work around this?

...I do agree that the fact that Hellions have still such a great advantage over other melee classes is kind of bullshit.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 4, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Who backs out when people get afflicted? That's where all of the cool flavour text is!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

This guy is such a control freak that he drops out of mission when someone gets afflicted, not because he doesn't want to get the whole team stressed out until it collapses upon itself, but because it "will lose control of them and by extension tactics". I get that it messes with your tactics but can't you seriously work around this?

...I do agree that the fact that Hellions have still such a great advantage over other melee classes is kind of bullshit.

Mental illness is a hell of a thing :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

paradoxGentleman posted:

Some people think they like this game because it looks, superficially, like other RPG's they like, and they don't realize that it really isn't intended for them at all, because this isn't a game for perfectionists. Fundamentally it's a game about chaos and madness and managing horrible things, perfection is not supposed to be achievable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at dropping out when one of your characters gets an affliction. whoever wrote all that has some serious stockholm syndrome aspergers poo poo, just don't play a loving game you don't like instead of treating it like a loving family member that betrayed your trust, crusading against it for months.

I haven't actually had any Hellions besides just one right now in my 25-man roster, what makes them overpowered? Mine just seems as good as any other frontline scrapper i.e. crusader, leper, whatever. Maybe I just haven't seen it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I haven't actually had any Hellions besides just one right now in my 25-man roster, what makes them overpowered? Mine just seems as good as any other frontline scrapper i.e. crusader, leper, whatever. Maybe I just haven't seen it.

I wouldn't necessarily say they're OP, that guy is mostly insane. But they are definitely one of the top-tier classes in the game. Good damage against every position without moving, sick camp self-buffs and a 100% base damage bleed gives them a ton of damage. Being a dodge tank is also Cool and Good; dodge in this game is an excellent form of mitigation. They also bring great utility with Adrenaline Rush and Barbaric Yawp.

Their two "downsides" also wind up usually not mattering. The self-debuffs don't mean poo poo if you can mop up the enemy in a round; if you DO find yourself in a position where the debuffs are endanging you, just clear them with a herb. Their terrible, terrible movement is also basically irrelevant unless you do dark runs, though the increase in camping ambushes does make it more of a factor.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The main thing is they can hit literally anywhere from the front rank.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think it's fair to say Hellion is a liiiittle OP. She's the best DPS class in the game outside of the Abomination (who is unquestionably straight up broken), which is fine, because someone has to be... except that she doesn't really have any downside over other damage dealers. She's got great positioning/targeting flexibility, average speed (which makes her faster than most heavy damage classes), and solid utility. Discounting the Abomination, every other high damage class is missing one or more of these elements and they all do less damage than her to begin with. (Lepers have higher raw damage, but this is offset by lower crit and accuracy, and outside of the Ruins she straight up does more damage anyhow due to bleed.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 4, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Don't get me wrong, she's definitely the best character in the game as far as I'm concerned (hilariously broken weregoatmonsters excepted). That guy's over the top crusade is just ridiculous, she's in need of slight adjustments at most. If It Bleeds could probably stand to have a slight damage penalty. The fact that it does full damage and that sweet bleed is dumb. The crit penalty isn't enough. I also think her self-debuff (and the Jester's) shouldn't be removable with herbs, as it totally negates what's supposed to be a defining class element.

One thing I do like about the way her kit's balanced is that she has to more or less take the same(ish) power three times to get full coverage on her positional attacks, which reduces her utility. I find myself running without Iron Swan lately so I can bring Yawp

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
loving casuals ruined my fuckawful game where i take four hellions and mash on the skeleton in the front row until he dies and then do that again three more times. biggest scam ever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think it's fair to say Hellion is a liiiittle OP.

What's her standard set with trinkets like these days? I quit using her way back when her trinkets got nerfed and it soured me on her (not that she's terrible just more me being dumb).

Unrelated, but I think the only change I don't like is the rationed goods from the provisioner, and then it's just the food limitation that bugs me. Not being able to buy enough food to make through a long adventure is pretty annoying, manageable, but annoying still.

Been running a Vestal, Occultist/Plague Doctor, Crusader, Man-at-Arms team for most dungeons with great success! I like the huge amount of trinket changes since I last played constantly. I swap trinkets way more than before.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Mental illness is a hell of a thing :shrug:

He probably picked up Abusive after a dark run. Dude needs to spend a week in the bar or the abbey to chill out. Although if he's still level one and has all those negative quirks, I'd probably just fire him and pick someone fresh.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

What's her standard set with trinkets like these days? I quit using her way back when her trinkets got nerfed and it soured me on her (not that she's terrible just more me being dumb).

Unrelated, but I think the only change I don't like is the rationed goods from the provisioner, and then it's just the food limitation that bugs me. Not being able to buy enough food to make through a long adventure is pretty annoying, manageable, but annoying still.

Been running a Vestal, Occultist/Plague Doctor, Crusader, Man-at-Arms team for most dungeons with great success! I like the huge amount of trinket changes since I last played constantly. I swap trinkets way more than before.

I usually run her with pen + feather crystal, her class trinkets are not very good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I usually run her with pen + feather crystal, her class trinkets are not very good

Yeah I miss the days of Hellion's Hairpin and the Blood Pendant. I use a lot of the non class trinkets these days.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

sullat posted:

He probably picked up Abusive after a dark run. Dude needs to spend a week in the bar or the abbey to chill out. Although if he's still level one and has all those negative quirks, I'd probably just fire him and pick someone fresh.
:vince:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Hellion is my go to front line fighter right now. Three high damage attacks and a double stun, plus the camp buffs. Can't ask for more than that. It's especially nice to be able to hit back rank from the front.

I haven't had much success with abomination, although I haven't played around with him very much. The stress and the party exclusions are annoying. Any tips on how to use him?

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZypherIM posted:

Warrens - Pile of scrolls - apply torch
Cove - Eerie coral - apply medicinal herbs
All - Eldrich altar - apply holy water

I tried burning some books. It gave my guy ~90 Stress, now he's Fearful. don't burn books kids

E:

Devonaut posted:

I haven't had much success with abomination, although I haven't played around with him very much. The stress and the party exclusions are annoying. Any tips on how to use him?

Get a Jester and make him a back-rower with the Stress healing song. Occultist should be your healer in the third row. Abo should be your second-rower, and you can put someone else on front - MaA, Hellion or (gonna sound funny, but I've had good experiences with him) Hound Master. Have fun!

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 4, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't played in the way back and never really that much but I picked it up again over the weekend. I've gotten my first few level 3 guys and I'm slowly leveling the rest of them now and purchasing upgrades for my buildings and heroes, there's a real big cost jump from the first and second tier gear upgrade though.

Question: Is it worth keeping around guys with a ton of afflictions, even if they have a lot of positive ones too? A guy has a full set of reds and some nastier ones locked in and it's 4500g to get rid of it so I'm leaning towards just firing him and leveling a new one up.

Also it's super fun to build a party for maximum bullshit. I did the necromancer with Hellion, Crusader, Crusader, Arbalist and we tore through the poor guy. Might take those guys to do the crone too though I think it's more dangerous since if the Hellion goes into the pot the front Crusader is useless without the lance ability. I already lost 3 guys to her.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

If you've already invested significant money in them through gear, skills and lockins or they have a couple good quirks you'd really want to keep long-term, it's probably worth keeping them around. Start looking for the curios mentioned a few posts ago (Coral, Scrolls, Idol) and use those to burn off their locked-in quirks.

If you haven't invested much and they don't have great positive quirks, fire their asses

Once you have 8-9 decent guys in the rotation, get in the habit of only hiring dudes off the coach if they come with at least 1 great quirk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have yet to try an Abomination after my startling lack of success with any team that isn't Vestal / Plague Doctor / Highwayman or Hellion / Crusader (or Man at Arms, I used him instead for the Pig boss to guard Squeal targets, worked fantastically). Never even tried a Jester, Graverobber just plays like a somewhat worse Plague Doctor to me, and I just plain couldn't make Hound Master, Arbalest or Bounty Hunter work (or Leper if RNG is unkind) :(

Still thinking about if I want to keep playing this now or wait for release, do we know if we'll be able to keep our saves or if we'll have/want to start over?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I have yet to try an Abomination after my startling lack of success with any team that isn't Vestal / Plague Doctor / Highwayman / Crusader (or Man at Arms, I used him instead for the Pig boss to guard Squeal targets, worked fantastically)

Still thinking about if I want to keep playing this now or wait for release, do we know if we'll be able to keep our saves or if we'll have/want to start over?

They confirmed we can keep our saves.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sweet.

While I'm in here, how much do you all prioritize SPD, especially when it comes to -SPD on trinkets? What about dodge? (That one at least is more obvious; -dodge on a Crusader or MaA is bad news bears, less so for others, but I don't really get SPD's value.)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I really want to play this game, but I currently am running a Linux shitbox with no ability to change it. I bought it during the Steam Sale because I read there's a Linux version planned. It looks like their timeline for this was late last year, but I can't find any other mention of it. Does anyone know if it's relatively soon?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say they're OP, that guy is mostly insane. But they are definitely one of the top-tier classes in the game. Good damage against every position without moving, sick camp self-buffs and a 100% base damage bleed gives them a ton of damage. Being a dodge tank is also Cool and Good; dodge in this game is an excellent form of mitigation. They also bring great utility with Adrenaline Rush and Barbaric Yawp.

Their two "downsides" also wind up usually not mattering. The self-debuffs don't mean poo poo if you can mop up the enemy in a round; if you DO find yourself in a position where the debuffs are endanging you, just clear them with a herb. Their terrible, terrible movement is also basically irrelevant unless you do dark runs, though the increase in camping ambushes does make it more of a factor.

I would say Hellions are OP in the sense of being the bar-none best class in the game to do no-light runs with

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I have yet to try an Abomination after my startling lack of success with any team that isn't Vestal / Plague Doctor / Highwayman or Hellion / Crusader (or Man at Arms, I used him instead for the Pig boss to guard Squeal targets, worked fantastically). Never even tried a Jester, Graverobber just plays like a somewhat worse Plague Doctor to me, and I just plain couldn't make Hound Master, Arbalest or Bounty Hunter work (or Leper if RNG is unkind) :(

Definitely try out Houndmaster and Arbalest. Both great damage dealers with nice marking utility, heals, and secondary poo poo. I haven't used a Bounty Hunter in ages, though---I remember he was considered the OP character long, long ago and now I never hear anything about using them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Sweet.

While I'm in here, how much do you all prioritize SPD, especially when it comes to -SPD on trinkets? What about dodge? (That one at least is more obvious; -dodge on a Crusader or MaA is bad news bears, less so for others, but I don't really get SPD's value.)

speed is the best stat. go first to kill them first.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Grave Robbers aren't really anything like Plague Doctors, btw

they're high-dps classes, probably the closest thing the game has to a "rogue" type that relies on heavy movement abilities

Grave Robbers are...interesting. I like using them, and they're fun, and their Lunge is a great battle-ending attack, but they're kind of impractical to use unless you have a team that relies on movers

Also abominations are so loving OP. like, just run two of them on a team and don't even transform them, that's how op they are. You get two high-damage stuns that hit almost anywhere, two double blights (which both stack and give a blight res debuff), and two self- and stress-heals. That's without the transforming

They're so goddamn ludicrously ridiculously broken

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Actually i realized what Grave Robbers are: they're Jesters, but not loving poo poo

That's what Grave Robbers are

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

they're high-dps classes, probably the closest thing the game has to a "rogue" type that relies on heavy movement abilities

Grave Robbers are...interesting. I like using them, and they're fun, and their Lunge is a great battle-ending attack, but they're kind of impractical to use unless you have a team that relies on movers

Also abominations are so loving OP. like, just run two of them on a team and don't even transform them, that's how op they are. You get two high-damage stuns that hit almost anywhere, two double blights (which both stack and give a blight res debuff), and two self- and stress-heals. That's without the transforming

Abom sounds fancy, I believe I shall give one or two a go if I decide to play some more

I only made the GR/PD quip because the only move I could reliably use when I had mine was the plague darts to stack blight on stuff with PROT, which worked, but ehn

It's probably mostly my fault, I'm not a fan of taking skills that force you to move, never quite know when to use them (this is probably part of why I haven't tried Jester, too)

(edit) I think I've got a handle on this one but I'll ask anyway: when do you use stuns, instead of trying to go for a kill sooner (e.g. a PD using stun gas instead of poo gas)?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I did an Occultist, PD, Abom, Abom team and it was fantastic on a short dungeon. The third position enemy died so quickly every time. Quick question, if a hero like Occultist gains one of the religious perks will they refuse to travel with the Abom? I know Vestal, Leper, Crusader avoid Aboms on principle, but was curious about heroes that find religion.

Edit: PDs are also one of the better classes after they got rebalanced. Her moveset is really unique and fun to utilize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

no, only lepers, vestals, and crusaders cannot work with the abomination under any circumstances

everyone else no matter what can and will

ofc, it sucks that you lose access to the best healer and the arguably best front-liner, and a really strong position 2, but you know. whatever.