Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GoutPatrol posted:

I guess making all new counterspells rare now is going to be the standard from now on, instead of common like they loving should be.

~*Special*~ counterspells at rare is nothing new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Brownhat posted:

Except that wasn't what I was saying. It requires high skill AND high variance, and it's taken two years for it to win something serious. Turn two and three kills are incredibly inconsistent. Shoal is more consistent, especially on turn two. And if we're banning decks because they aren't fun to play against, they should burn Lantern Control to the ground first.

Decks that can regularly (not necessarily reliably) pull off turn 2 kills shouldn't exist in a format without cards like Force of Will. There isn't enough interaction available to decks that might die before their second land drop, and as we saw today, a deck like Bloom going off can just brute force though removal or counters anyways.

I respect what it took to put the deck together and play it successfully, but playing a harder deck than your opponent doesn't mean you get to break the format.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bugsy posted:

Did it make a bunch of mana then tooth and nail for patron of the moon and Ob?

I don't remember if it played Tooth and Nail. It probably played Patron of the Moon, because I remember there being Kamigawa cards I had never heard of outside of Azusa.

It's been three years, so I don't remember the deck list.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Skyl3lazer posted:

If this translation is correct, wowzers.

As a Japanese speaker, can confirm translation is accurate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cernunnos posted:

So black potus has to post with proper punctuation from now on?

And also pilot a deck of your choosing at a tourney, I think?

I believe it has to make 2 more top 8s for me to win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess I just don't see the scenario where either of the upsides are worth it costing 2UU baseline.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Only really useful in a counter war, so I guess it's a potential sideboard option?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Counterflux was barely played in standard and this is much worse.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess I just don't see the scenario where either of the upsides are worth it costing 2UU baseline.

2UU Counter has been playable in the past. That upside makes it pretty tantalizing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Strictly better than this guy.

Also, this card is one color, not two, so entirely different from Counterflux.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Ramos posted:

Strictly better than this guy.

Also, this card is one color, not two, so entirely different from Counterflux.

And no one played Last Word. Last Word that's better once in a blue moon isn't much of an improvement.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Uncounterability isn't very likely to be relevant very often and saving one mana over Scatter isn't that great if you already have the mana to do something else that turn that's relevant.

Control decks right now aren't playing 12 counterspells to begin with and Scorn is dramatically superior. Even if you're not playing Dragons I don't know why you would pick this over Scorn or Clash of Wills. This seems like a one-of sideboard card, if that.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Playing two spells in a turn isn't a once in a blue moon occurrence.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

whydirt posted:

Saving one mana on a spell when you can afford two doesn't seem great when you have to spend 1 extra every other time you want to use the spell

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

It is when it's on your opponent's turn, which is generally where you want to be for a counterspell.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What possibly could the 4 of "NOT YET REVEALED ENCHANTMENT" in Stoddard's FFL blue red control deck be!?

Chandra's Oath?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/role-finishers-2016-01-01

Worth noting that there doesn't seem to be a good reason to be playing Crumbling Vestige in that deck, considering the known cards

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Overwhelming denial seems pretty good when played along with other blue instant speed effects on turn 4 or later.

Slaughter Pact and some NPH instants could also be a reasonable enabler for it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The main issue with that is that Legacy has better counterspells (literally, counterspell), Modern has yet to find any kind of counterspell oriented deck, and Standard doesn't have any good enablers.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 4, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Reprint mental misstep imo

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It'd be poo poo useless in this meta.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

GeneX posted:

Reprint mental misstep imo

Do people even play anything with CMC 1 these days in Standard outside of burn spells?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ramos posted:

It'd be poo poo useless in this meta.

I mean, it was more an example of the type of environment that card would need to even see any play whatsoever, but yeah

standard is pretty much all at CMC 2 or higher right now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did Rosewater or anyone ever explain why prowess was absent from BFZ?

(Hope it's in gatewatch)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Madmarker posted:

I highly doubt, and truly hope this isn't the case.

My hope is that Ensnaring bridge gets the ax as well.

They should just remove 8th edition from Modern, it makes no sense that the first Modern set is entirely reprints from older sets. The frame argument doesn't really hold when they print new-border sets which are not Modern-legal every year, plus 8th looks terrible so everyone uses the old versions anyway. You'd also lose Boil, Hibernation, Merchant Scroll and City of Brass but I don't think any of those are great losses

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is when it's on your opponent's turn, which is generally where you want to be for a counterspell.

It seems like a protective counterspell. This is like the third "control mirror" card we've seen, did WOTC think control would somehow be dominating?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't know. I don't like the idea of spending another card expressly in order to trigger Surge. I guess it's best use is on enemy instants at the end of your turn? Not crazy about it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

it's best use is in a control mirror, because while surge is theoretically useful, the actual important part of it is "can't be countered".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems weird. I would have thought the advantage of an uncounterable counter is that you don't have to fight a war over some spell. I guess you could use it to protect your own stuff but that makes the uncounterable part less relevant.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You can serum visions on your t3 then counter their clique or exarch/pestermite or w/e and be okay. I guess mana leak works the same there with less color requirements but this has better late game applicability compared to leak.

I don't think it'll shake any format to its core or anything but I like it and I'll pick up a playset.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

and

Embodiment of Insight
4G
Creature - Elemental
Vigilance

Land creatures you control have vigilance.

Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target land you control become a 3/3 Elemental creature with haste until end of turn. It's still a land.
4/4

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Frozen_flame posted:

and

Embodiment of Insight
4G
Creature - Elemental
Vigilance

Land creatures you control have vigilance.

Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target land you control become a 3/3 Elemental creature with haste until end of turn. It's still a land.
4/4

The first one is a less interesting vile redeemer which I did a double take of because I thought it was the same card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sifter of Skulls looks great, a nice upgrade on Pawn of Ulamog that I'm sure will find a home in Aristocrat builds.

Embodiment I'm not sure, probably a great limited card, not sure about constructed, it might be good to be able to keep the mana open like that. Probably works best with hefty awakened lands. Looks like Gx awaken might work in the new limited?

Edit: "Vile Redeemer" returns nothing on a search, could you check the name?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: "Vile Redeemer" returns nothing on a search, could you check the name?

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-spoiler/vile-redeemer/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ah, thought they were talking about an older card.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wonder if that will make the mono black devoid modern deck that I don't understand yet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This is getting loving ridiculous.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Why did serra's sanctum spike I wonder? 1 more sanctum is the last card i need to finish enchantress :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Seems to only be Antiquities Gargant Triskelion, the 4th ed and Modern frame version are all still 20 cents.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You see, this is actually good for the game because value is good and we shouldn't have needed cards reprinted as commons the way YGO does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The fact that a website like http://mtgstocks.com/ exists is just embarrassing. I especially like the part where they have a ticker at the top, you know, to give you that stock trader "feel".

• Locked thread