Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I just want to know how you ended up in that channel engaging DD's at close range expecting that would end well. I'm surprised you weren't torped sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

demonR6 posted:

I just want to know how you ended up in that channel engaging DD's at close range expecting that would end well. I'm surprised you weren't torped sooner.

Trying to get a 16 knot whale with 15km range scatterguns somewhere useful sometimes means cutting corners. I gambled there wouldn't be a destroyer, there was one, poo poo happens. Not really relevant to how bullshit the game is with the RNG when it wants to be.

The New Mexico is a sidegrade from the New York, it has a better gun layout, but the hull is worse, and you're up a tier. Disappointed in it after how much people talked it up as the Cleveland-killer.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

I kept going because I assumed one salvo would surely finish him off at that range, and I needed to keep going that way if I was going to have any chance of getting that overrated pile of a ship anywhere near where it could change the battle, not to mention that I didn't know the Destroyer was there until he was, and when I first committed, two of the ships you see loitering in the middle of the map were supposedly coming with me.
So you kept going because you assumed that if you killed the taco the destroyers that was right there next to it for the entire length of the video would break and run without shooting you. And I use "kept going" in the loosest sense of the word because: you were pretty much stationary when you got torped.

NTRabbit posted:

I like when people pretend it's actually possible to pinpoint modules/small citadels with battleship guns in battleship turrets on battleship hulls. Hard enough to do with the better US Destroyer guns.
At that range, yes, you very much can, especially if you actually use the aiming camera and are shooting at a ship with very little lateral movement compared to you like say, here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Asehujiko posted:

So you kept going because you assumed that if you killed the taco the destroyers that was right there next to it for the entire length of the video would break and run without shooting you. And I use "kept going" in the loosest sense of the word because: you were pretty much stationary when you got torped.

I dropped speed to dodge an earlier brace of torpedoes, I thought from the Furutaka but in retrospect it would have been the first salvo from the Destroyer, and between turning and the glacial engine response I simply hadn't returned to any speed yet. I kept going because by the time the destroyer was actually spotted, there wasn't actually any choice. Like all the low tier American battleships you don't really get much of a chance to change your mind and go elsewhere while still retaining impact on the battle. Just too slow.

e: Also I think one of the mods in Aslains broke torpedo icons, they're not getting their red triangle icons until they're at point blank, no matter how early they're spotted, and the wave mod from it I use to make me feel like I'm actually on an ocean rather than a lake makes the bubble lines hard to spot :downs:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 4, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

The New Mexico is a sidegrade from the New York, it has a better gun layout, but the hull is worse, and you're up a tier. Disappointed in it after how much people talked it up as the Cleveland-killer.

The New Mexico is glorious if you use it to hammer ships on their beam instead of doing suicide runs down Torpedo Alley. No battleship is going to perform how you want in that situation.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MrKatharsis posted:

The New Mexico is glorious if you use it to hammer ships on their beam instead of doing suicide runs down Torpedo Alley. No battleship is going to perform how you want in that situation.

New York does, but that can actually turn well enough to dodge most torpedo attacks.

I've been trying the New Mexico the "proper" way, ignoring the games where it gets utterly trashed by North Carolinas and Nagatos, there's really nothing standout about it. Not very fast, not very strong, decent AA, and the guns have poor range and ordinary accuracy. The Fuso is all round the better battleship, just as flimsy and scattershot, but it has the range to go with volume of fire to be useful, especially those early game 23km shots, when you aim one of those right and get 1, or if you're lucky 2 hits on a battleship or heavy cruiser sailing in a straight line it feels good.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 4, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Running up to melee range of destroyers and torp carrying cruisers is not the proper way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MrKatharsis posted:

Running up to melee range of destroyers and torp carrying cruisers is not the proper way.

Didn't say it was. Try it the proper way and you'll be consistently outshot by Clevelands, and even worse loving Nurnbergs, and you can't really do anything to them in reply, while a Fuso (and a Kongo for that matter) gets to take several stabs at you before you even get into range to stab back - and that's just when top tier.

It's just not a great ship, certainly not in the current meta. Take out the vastly superior cruiser class and it still doesn't stand up to a Fuso, because it doesn't have the speed to close the range. Maybe if it did 25 knots, or could shoot out to 18-19km, but without that no.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Asehujiko posted:

At that range, yes, you very much can, especially if you actually use the aiming camera

The what now?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Phanatic posted:

The what now?

Hitting shift to go into zoom mode, which didn't show up on the replay because I switched to the observer camera for the recording

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The battleship experience:

Keep firing assholes!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Poil posted:

The battleship experience:

Keep firing assholes!

That's definitely true for the Kawachi. I'd shoot someone's broadsides at 6km and miss all but one shell. That ship sucked.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

NTRabbit posted:

a bunch of poorly thought out words about how the new mexico is a bad ship

hooo boy you're just full of bad opinions aren't you :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

hooo boy you're just full of bad opinions aren't you :allears:

Correct, documented, and well supported ones actually, just because you don't like them doesn't make them wrong. Some people still refuse to accept what's now obvious to everyone, about how overwhelmingly good cruisers - especially 155mm cruisers - were, and to a slightly leser degree still are, when I've been saying as such for quite a while, in spite of eerily similar protests to the contrary.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 4, 2016

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

Correct, documented, and well supported ones actually, just because you don't like them doesn't make them wrong. Some people still refuse to accept what's now obvious to everyone, about how overwhelmingly good cruisers - especially 155mm cruisers - were, and to a slightly leser degree still are, when I've been saying as such for quite a while, in spite of eerily similar protests to the contrary.

"Documented" by someone who thinks 4000 and 10000 are the same number and intentionally fires at a cruiser at an 85 degree angle instead of waiting five seconds to citadel hit it, yes.

There is literally no evidence for your stupid claims. The Cleveland you keep pushing as the strongest ship in the game has a lower win rate than the Kawachi. You are consistently losing to cruisers in your battleship because you are a lovely player.

edit: "eerily similar protests to the contrary?" Are you really claiming that the people disagreeing with you are shills? :lol:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
He's making the same kind of protests you can find over on the Wargaming forum. He's bad, and attributes that to the game instead of the player. Stop feeding him and he'll go back the Wargaming forums where he belongs.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NTRabbit posted:

I am an awful player and wargaming is responsible for my condition.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Ugh, last night I accidentally bought $20 worth of secret santa for World of Tanks instead of WoWs. Here's hoping I can get that fixed with customer service.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

Drive the Cleveland, I need to see your reaction to the hang time on those shells at 17 km. Also please tell me you aren't bitching about the short range of the New Mexico two tiers after US BBs get a range boost module that going by the 15 km comment you haven't fitted.

Incidentally, the game changed for better players in a big way since launch. Even I'm getting a ton of citadels on cruisers in my BBs, and after a week or so I'm still not shooting great. Lobbing shells that an enemy can literally turn a battleship to avoid at long range is anything but overpowered, what's overpowered is trying to get to the right range for your relative guns and maneuverability and idiots letting you do it.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Drive the Cleveland, I need to see your reaction to the hang time on those shells at 17 km. Also please tell me you aren't bitching about the short range of the New Mexico two tiers after US BBs get a range boost module that going by the 15 km comment you haven't fitted.

Incidentally, the game changed for better players in a big way since launch. Even I'm getting a ton of citadels on cruisers in my BBs, and after a week or so I'm still not shooting great. Lobbing shells that an enemy can literally turn a battleship to avoid at long range is anything but overpowered, what's overpowered is trying to get to the right range for your relative guns and maneuverability and idiots letting you do it.

Brains OP, nerf stupid players.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Drive the Cleveland..

Dedicated Cleveland drivers deal with the high arc and long shell travel time adjusting their play style. I love my Cleveland even after WG removed the ship and I lost the commander with all the skills during that mess trying to fix the clan.

I'm surprised at how many people stay on a fixed, straight line course even when shells are raining down hell in them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

demonR6 posted:

Dedicated Cleveland drivers deal with the high arc and long shell travel time adjusting their play style. I love my Cleveland even after WG removed the ship and I lost the commander with all the skills during that mess trying to fix the clan.

I'm surprised at how many people stay on a fixed, straight line course even when shells are raining down hell in them.

Yes it is quite good against the sort of player who would drive somewhere without any thought of where dangers are. And that explains a bunch. I'm just sad NTR doesn't drive cruisers, I love easy citadels.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I outdueled a Cleveland from full health in my stock Omaha the other day. Don't see what the big deal is :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

On my dedicated Cleveland captain, I went for demolition expert instead of AFT. I'd rather set even more fires than softball shells out to 17km.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

NTRabbit posted:

Correct, documented, and well supported ones actually, just because you don't like them doesn't make them wrong.

lol

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

TheDemon posted:

I outdueled a Cleveland from full health in my stock Omaha the other day. Don't see what the big deal is :v:

Rudder is OP, needs nerf.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheDemon posted:

That, uh, is a very shameful Cleveland captain, god drat. That thing absolutely obliterates other cruisers with AP. I've actually gotten an 8x citadel one shot against an Omaha (or might have been a Murmansk) in the Cleveland, it's so good.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't think the guy thought I was a serious threat until he was at about 60% and by then I had perfect positioning on him. Also he was pretty loving bad. Shooting HE and presenting me his non-dodging broadside as I alternated between straight towards and straight away. He did knock out my steering twice but that was to his detriment as while I was doing circles he couldn't hit me at all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheDemon posted:

while I was doing circles he couldn't hit me at all.

That happens to me so often. Kinda makes me frustrated when I get nailed while making unpredictable turns and I'm invincible while making a consistent smooth circle.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That happens to me so often. Kinda makes me frustrated when I get nailed while making unpredictable turns and I'm invincible while making a consistent smooth circle.

The problem with the circle isn't the turn (I find it really hard to hit someone doing a 180), it's that there's a huge part of the circle where you're flat broadside and get nailed. Some players can take advantage of that. I presume that for the rest, it never occurs to them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think part of that is that you spend a lot of time with the rudder at low deflections, so it's harder to turn enough to get out from under a full salvo. Then again you get somebody with timing when you do circles and they drop a salvo in your ship's coin slot and get a jackpot.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's a lot of people who are drat good at dropping coins on me. I wonder if the aim assist is that good making people land those unpredictable shots with more frequency.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That, uh, is a very shameful Cleveland captain, god drat. That thing absolutely obliterates other cruisers with AP. I've actually gotten an 8x citadel one shot against an Omaha (or might have been a Murmansk) in the Cleveland, it's so good.

Meh, if you catch them broadside Omahas have paper armor. The real fun is when you obliterate something that actually has armor with those 155s so many people think are only good for HE. Caught a mostly full health Mogami coming out of the middle channel in Two Brothers the other day in my own Mogami, and vaporized him in a single broadside. Then killed the Hatsuharu coming up behind him with the next salvo for a cool Double Strike. :smug:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

I don't know why youtube turned the quality to poo poo but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbeFSHnF7Eg

You can see the barrage from the front turrets hit the Taco and do absolutely nothing sorry it does 1 no damage incapacitation. On the other hand, playing live my rear turrets also hit the Taco in the side, but on the replay they show as firing straight over my rear, so gently caress that noise.

Still proves my point, this game is completely full of poo poo.

what the gently caress is this video? Your rear guns aren't even facing when they fire (did they even fire at the Furutaka? What were you shooting at? I can't see jack poo poo here), and your guns don't register as loaded until you've fired. I don't want your lovely video, I want your .wowsreplay file so I can see for myself. You could have shown us first person cam so we could see exactly where you were aiming, too.

Judging on the angle at which you fired on the Furutaka (assuming the Furutaka was indeed where it was when you fired, since your video is clearly showing a bugged out interface), your initial salvo hit near the rear of the ship, at an angle. All hits were likely ricochets. No idea why you decided to aim at the rear end of a ship angled away at you when you've got a nice clean frontal hitbox to shoot at, but now I'm splitting hairs on just how bad this clip is.

You really should post the .wowsreplay. Uploading a low quality video with bugged interface is very unhelpful, because what I see shows me virtually nothing. No idea where you aimed, no idea where the shells impacted (there are clear visual signs of a ricochet, penetration, and failure to penetrate, which are all impossible to see here), where your guns were even aimed, etc.

demonR6 posted:

Well everyone else he called the bullshit flag and it was impossible there is the video to prove it now go eat a bucket of hot dicks. That is all. ;)
:rolleyes: yeah, a low quality video with buggy interface and turrets facing the wrong way when they fire. I'm definitely going to take that at face value.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

what the gently caress is this video? Your rear guns aren't even facing when they fire (did they even fire at the Furutaka? What were you shooting at? I can't see jack poo poo here), and your guns don't register as loaded until you've fired. I don't want your lovely video, I want your .wowsreplay file so I can see for myself. You could have shown us first person cam so we could see exactly where you were aiming, too.

Judging on the angle at which you fired on the Furutaka (assuming the Furutaka was indeed where it was when you fired, since your video is clearly showing a bugged out interface), your initial salvo hit near the rear of the ship, at an angle. All hits were likely ricochets. No idea why you decided to aim at the rear end of a ship angled away at you when you've got a nice clean frontal hitbox to shoot at, but now I'm splitting hairs on just how bad this clip is.

You really should post the .wowsreplay. Uploading a low quality video with bugged interface is very unhelpful, because what I see shows me virtually nothing. No idea where you aimed, no idea where the shells impacted (there are clear visual signs of a ricochet, penetration, and failure to penetrate, which are all impossible to see here), where your guns were even aimed, etc.

:rolleyes: yeah, a low quality video with buggy interface and turrets facing the wrong way when they fire. I'm definitely going to take that at face value.

Warships replays are pretty poo poo; though it's tempting I don't blame NTRabbit for that.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

James Garfield posted:

Warships replays are pretty poo poo; though it's tempting I don't blame NTRabbit for that.
Thats interesting, because in all of the videos I've ever made, I've yet to encounter a buggy replay. And this still doesn't excuse not using first person view to identify where he was aiming.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
who cares. we already established that the dude is a shitlord who not only blames the game for his own poor play, but also confuses his own opinions with facts. let's talk about couch forts anime boats

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
hello, my name is hazdoc, and I HAVE VERY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT BOATS

DELETE CVS poi

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

DELETE CVS poi

You don't want to delete CVS, then Walgreens will take over the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

DELETE CVS poi

A good player would pay attention to his minimap and keep an eye out for bombers. :smug: