Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Angepain posted:

The trick is to wander off before they can even ask the question, rookie mistake

Or repeatedly refuse to answer the question and then claim that you have answered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khGa49rM6iM

A less favourable media would have spun this interview as Cameron admitting that he was blackmailed by a Saudi government that was threatening to blow up bombs over the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...lking-away.html

I really wish he'd stop shooting himself in the foot in front of the media.

What he actually said to the Telegraph reporter was

quote:

I'm talking about railways this morning... I'm talking about railways this morning. I'll come to you in a moment on that, ok? I’ll do a separate [answer] on that, if you wish

http://i100.independent.co.uk/artic...m_campaign=i100

Which the reporter has decided to interpret as Corbyn "ignoring" it.

It just shows, yet again, that it doesn't matter what he does (or doesn't) do, he will not get fair treatment from most of the press, and I'm frankly surprised that otherwise sensible people here are still falling for it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
can someone confirm or deny with authority whether it is possible to pancake flip saudi arabia with underground nukes?

quite possibly a better foreign policy idea that the current government

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

Are these the British Values I've been hearing so much about?
Murder, sectarianism, execution, and Asian expansionism have been British values for far longer than tolerance, respect, and the Beatles or whatever poo poo is on the current curriculum sheet.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

dispatch_async posted:

Or repeatedly refuse to answer the question and then claim that you have answered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khGa49rM6iM

A less favourable media would have spun this interview as Cameron admitting that he was blackmailed by a Saudi government that was threatening to blow up bombs over the UK.

David Cameron:If we weren't friends with Saudi Arabia THIS MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbYm2MHLw0

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The main sticking point at the moment is pay progression. At the moment you get a pay increment for every year you've served. That means if you fail exams and have to extended training or switch specialities you can be paid more then someone more senior to you. The government want that to be changed so you are paid at your grade of responsibility. At the moment though the automatic increment makes up for the fact that there hasn't been a real terms pay rise for years so LTFT trainees and those on maternity leave who've had a pretty good deal under the current system are obviously very anti change

Personally I think this isn't one of the major points to be fighting and is probably the most reasonable demand . I think pay for seniority is fine if it means there's rises with inflation and we get stuff like mandatory minimum periods before rotas come out, requirement that with a certain period of notice we have to get given time off etc

Basically first strike is going ahead Jan 13th though I'm on holiday so won't be taking part.

Loss of automatic pay progression absolutely is something worth fighting for, if for no other reason than it massively disadvantages women doctors. Having kids essentially requires you to take time out of training and losing the progression would massively widen the gender pay gap.

It's also not the case that the government wants 'pay by seniority'. They want 'pay by position'. That means that if you are an ST6 and your trust decides to rotate you into a position where they only need an ST3 to fill the rota, they only have to pay you as an ST3. Ditto if you decide you want to change career paths. If this comes into force you are almost certain to see rotas being changed so that senior doctors are forced to take up a more 'junior' position so that the trust can pay them less. It's all part of a plan to reduce the overall pay envelope even more than it has been already.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Ken Livingstone was on the World at One earlier saying Benn/Burnham is probably happening.

If he can keep the cabinet largely together, try to minimise any moves that could be spun as punitive and come out with something that will at least make him less likely to be disagreeing with shadow ministers on their briefs quite so publicly in future then... it will still be a brutal Stalinist purge by a weak and ineffective leader who, despite being a limp-wristed pacifist vegetarian, will sweep to power and destroy Britain and all its Traditional Values given half a chance, according to our beloved Free Press.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Instead of saying that it was against the will of the leadership, they'll probably portray is as being against the will of the party membership, which was consulted and came out strongly against the war decision. It's harder to argue that you blatantly voted against the will of your party when you infact did blatantly vote against the will of your party as far as members go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Ken Livingstone was on the World at One earlier saying Benn/Burnham is probably happening.
I hope they get reshuffled to Bran/Hennbum.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I hope the Labour Party find a willing black market surgeon to remove the vocal chords of Ken Livingstone so he can no longer go on the radio or TV & say things.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

:yayclod:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

forkboy84 posted:

"I know it's only been 4 months but Burnham has looked quite good at Home, he's not come out with anything vaguely totalitarian & that seems quite long time for a Home Secretary judging by the past 20 years, Shadow or not".

Except for supporting the Snooper's Charter. :smith:

Burnham also once alleged Shami Chakrabarti and David Davis were sleeping with each other because they both opposed 90 days detention.

Spangly A posted:

He has a professional expectation not to abuse a position of authority, he did so. Rochdale just had a major, major paedophile scandal and Danzcuk is sexting teenagers. He's done.

e; hang on am I confusing it with Rotherham

They both did. Except in Rochdale white men were also at it, so, you know, the media paid less attention.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Renfield posted:

i thought the exchange started after she applied for a job in the consistency office, so he was in a position of power/trust at the time, regardless of the responsibilities of an MP

The legal framework regarding consent refers to a 'position of trust', not a position of power. Being in a position to grant or not grant someone a job does not equal a position of trust, and as such Danczuk did nothing illegal. What went on with his ex-wife definitely does sound illegal however, but I doubt he would ever be convicted of anything.

Best case scenario I can see happening is that he's kicked out of Labour and clings to his position as an independent generally hated by everyone until 2020, before instantly disappearing into obscurity to be replaced by a glorious Corbynite.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jabby posted:

The legal framework regarding consent refers to a 'position of trust', not a position of power

It'd be worth a laugh if someone pressed charges and he had to go public arguing that an MP is not a position of trust

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Guavanaut posted:

I hope they get reshuffled to Bran/Hennbum.
Parliament would at least be more entertaining if it was more like Game of Thrones, Tories lying slain on the field of battle, Blairite heads on spikes etc etc

might need to tone down the gratuitous sex scenes given their proclivities, though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

Except for supporting the Snooper's Charter. :smith:

Burnham also once alleged Shami Chakrabarti and David Davis were sleeping with each other because they both opposed 90 days detention.

All that is still pretty good for Home in fairness, though that's more a reflection of how loving dreadful Home seems to be. Who was the last Home Secretary that wasn't repellent? Ken Clarke during the Major years? Or do you have to go back to Roy Jenkins? I can never tell if it attracts arseholes or if it's just the atmosphere of the department which leads people to thinking civil liberties are a extravagance at times of *insert war, threat of war, existential threat, or anything else you need here*.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

forkboy84 posted:

All that is still pretty good for Home in fairness, though that's more a reflection of how loving dreadful Home seems to be. Who was the last Home Secretary that wasn't repellent? Ken Clarke during the Major years? Or do you have to go back to Roy Jenkins? I can never tell if it attracts arseholes or if it's just the atmosphere of the department which leads people to thinking civil liberties are a extravagance at times of *insert war, threat of war, existential threat, or anything else you need here*.

Probably Clarke or Jenkins, yeah.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Oh aye, mind how Nigel Farage had an attempt on his life?

Well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...d-a6796071.html

TL;DR The Glorious free market made an attempt on the Non Racist Libertarian party leader's life.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Think the biggest revelation is that our Nige drives a European car. No wonder it tried to kill him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jabby posted:

The legal framework regarding consent refers to a 'position of trust', not a position of power. Being in a position to grant or not grant someone a job does not equal a position of trust, and as such Danczuk did nothing illegal.

Mind you, isn't this a textbook case of sexual harassment? She played along but as she said in the original story she was looking to get into politics and was in awe of the man.

*puts on lab coat and raises clipboard* we need to get to the bottom of this, internet law experts

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"It's just EU Elf and Safety nonsense" He was heard screaming as his car drifted off the cliff side.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Think the biggest revelation is that our Nige drives a European car. No wonder it tried to kill him.
There are no mass manufactured British cars left though. :britain: He could drive a Morgan or something. Or a vintage Morris Minor but those are pretty good and I don't want him associated with them.

Tesseraction posted:

*puts on lab coat and raises clipboard* we need to get to the bottom of this, internet law experts
Hypothesis: He's a perv, OP.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh aye, mind how Nigel Farage had an attempt on his life?

Well.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...d-a6796071.html

TL;DR The Glorious free market made an attempt on the Non Racist Libertarian party leader's life.

Thanks for the reminder because this was hilarious, but a goon beat him to that discovery.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You'd think given the week he's had Simon Danzcuk would take a break from blaming Corbyn for everything and of course you'd be wrong.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/simon-danczuk-labour-mp-sonia-rossington-will-contact-police-claims-drink-fuelled-bullying

quote:

Simon Danczuk has accused “Corbynites” and other political opponents of fuelling a protest outside his constituency office in Rochdale in an attempt to gain political capital.

Speaking after his first wife Sonia Rossington told the Guardian on Monday that she would contact police over allegations of drug- and drink-fuelled bullying, the Labour MP insisted the demonstration was driven by political “extremists” on the far left and did not represent the view of his constituents.

I'd say you have to admit the mans commitment but that's clearly not one of his good qualities.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Guavanaut posted:

There are no mass manufactured British cars left though.
Lots of cars are made in Britain, just for foreign-owned companies. GJ our Tony.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fans posted:

You'd think given the week he's had Simon Danzcuk would take a break from blaming Corbyn for everything and of course you'd be wrong.
Corbyn Dressed As Sexy Teen To Message Me :qq:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Baron Corbyn posted:

This is so painful, he might well be the least dignified MP we have. A normal person would have had the good sense to resign and at the very least not word this like he was being hounded out of his position by bitter, vindictive exes.

EDIT: Hahaha, he's blaming Corbynites for his problems because of course he loving is.

Fans posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/simon-danczuk-labour-mp-sonia-rossington-will-contact-police-claims-drink-fuelled-bullying

I'd say you have to admit the mans commitment but that's clearly not one of his good qualities.

Beaten like a 49 year old MP with a ball gag.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

There aren't many people in this country for whom I feel genuine, unrelieved hatred. One is Kelvin Mackenzie.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Guavanaut posted:

There are no mass manufactured British cars left though. :britain: He could drive a Morgan or something. Or a vintage Morris Minor but those are pretty good and I don't want him associated with them.

Landrovers and Jaguars are mass produced in Britain or at least it looks that's what's happening in the big factory five minutes walk from me. Fair enough JLR is a subsidiary of an Indian company but the subsidiary itself is headquartered in Britain, so its about as close as you get.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Thanks for the reminder because this was hilarious, but a goon beat him to that discovery.

That's what I get for rolling over posts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Is he not an Atlanticist? Figured he'd drive some horribly fuel-inefficient Yank SUV or one of those cars that's very powerful in a straight line but handles like David Cameron handling a pig.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Corbyn Dressed As Sexy Teen To Message Me :qq:

to be fair, who could say no to Jeremy Corbyn dressed as a sexy teen

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

TACD posted:

Ha, that happened after I posted in (or started, not sure which) a thread arguing about whether 0.9 recurring is equal to 1 (spoiler: it is). It devolved into a complete frothing cesspool of nerd rage on both sides and I think it was actually bannable to bring it up for a while. A real life friend of mine who's also a goon bought me this so I could always remember <3
Edit: I think this was about the same time or maybe the same thread as the 'airplane on a treadmill' thing. Truly the glory days of goondom.
Why is this him 'shooting himself in the foot'? Seems to me he's just not letting the media distract him from today's message, which as he pointed out is the railways.

How did arguing if 0.999999... = 1 even become a thread? The airplane-treadmill thing at least has some complex engineering in it, but the proof for why 0.99999... = 1 is so simple we were taught it in year 8, and I'm pretty sure its in IGCSE maths, if not GCSE.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Metaphorical acts of war, the worst kind of acts of war.

Unlike the actual acts of war that Hilary Benn pushed for, which were good.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gonzo McFee posted:

Metaphorical acts of war, the worst kind of acts of war.

Unlike the actual acts of war that Hilary Benn pushed for, which were good.

so uh has it actually been confirmed that he's been demoted or are they just getting pre-emptively outraged over something they've just imagined happening

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

so uh has it actually been confirmed that he's been demoted or are they just getting pre-emptively outraged over something they've just imagined happening

A man from The Sun on Twitter is claiming that Benn might not be demoted at all. "Instead" Lord Falconer will go? Which seems like a non-sequiter.

This is an example of the reshuffle being a shambles & not the media being idiots listening to people who don't actually have the leader's ear.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Angepain posted:

I don't think anyone finds out until tomorrow, but setting the narrative is all part of the game

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The horse penis guy is "only" getting deported.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35220941

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hitler B. Natural posted:

There aren't many people in this country for whom I feel genuine, unrelieved hatred. One is Kelvin Mackenzie.

Holy loving poo poo. How is this not outright racism. Like not hidden at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Who likes polls? We like polls!

quote:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 27 secs28 seconds ago
On who would make best Prime Minister:
George Osborne: 39%
Jeremy Corbyn: 27%

On who would make best Prime Minister: