Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
There's "two" comics that follow slightly different timelines, ie 9.5 does not necessarily follow 9.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

last few shoujo i read

Kyuukyoku Venus: was okay, shoujo corporate politics and a great grandma but she chose the wrong guy in the harem so a 6

Missile Happy! incredibly awful translations, but a decent enough plot even if it hits every shoujo cliché (mean father in law and mother in law, a kid to take care of shows up, an envious little bro, can't let the school find out about our relationship etc etc) so a 6

Sylph Anthology: Bungaku Kareshi: this ones good, lots of stories, tales and myths adapted to little (rom)coms. an 8

r-18: stopped reading this incredibly quickly, rape and blackmail fantasies ahoy, i liked the artstyle though so a 4

Atashi Hitori de Daijoubu: girl who doesn't like useless boys, ugly artstyle but okay otherwise, a 7

Hitsuji wo Kazoete Dokomademo: okay tomboy fare, a 7

Sureta Hoshi to Raspberry, good shoujo protag, very badass gal who is into gravure lol, a 7

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

Sylph Anthology: Bungaku Kareshi: this ones good, lots of stories, tales and myths adapted to little (rom)coms. an 8

This one is cute, did more come out or was it complete? I read it a while back and can't remember if it was finished or not.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they uploaded the whole thing on batoto

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I probably read it on mangago, will have to check later to see if there were any chapters I missed there that made it to batoto then...or hell I'll just read it again, it was good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I would like Takane no Hana Nara Ochitekoi!! a lot more if it updated more frequently than once every two months. :argh:

(new chapter by the way)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How is Inubaka? I just read the first chapter and it seems cute and pretty funny, and the dogs...look like dogs, which is more than can be said for a lot of manga.

edit: don't need specifics, but is it an enjoyable read, does it turn to poo poo garbage arbitrarily, I see it's complete after a whopping 22 volumes which seems good, as long as it doesn't go for the ridiculous drama drag-outs that some series do.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 3, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There's a new chapter of Koisuru Harinezumi, and this unfortunately looks like it's going down the same path as other romance manga (*cough*Kimi ni Todoke*cough*) where once two people get together there are lots of ~*~MISUNDERSTANDINGS~*~ conspiring to push them apart. I hope it doesn't come to that, honestly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So far it's been good about wrapping up misunderstandings really quickly -- just in this latest chapter a miscommunication came up and was resolved within the chapter, where something paced like KnT would have stretched it into an entire arc. I'm sure whatever is up with this girl will come out quickly and get resolved without overstaying, and hopefully we'll get another fantastic scene like with the other rival girl (although I kinda hope Kii ends up laying the smack down this time).

Basically I don't care if it retreads the same tired old shoujo tropes as long as it keeps doing it at light speed :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dang, before I knew it I was on chapter 11 of Inubaka, seems like a really cute, lighthearted series about a dog-focused petshop. Almost no fanservice for a seinen series, too. I'd never heard of it before but it came up in kissmanga's random series rotation at the top of their site and looked cute, so I gave it a try, seems like a real solid and heartwarming manga so far.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
If anyone else has been enjoying Dame na Watashi ni Koi Shitekudasai, you might like to know there's a jdrama adaptation starting next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEKW7tzJYI

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

If anyone else has been enjoying Dame na Watashi ni Koi Shitekudasai, you might like to know there's a jdrama adaptation starting next week:

Cool! I really want an anime tho.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Ah wow, it's Kyouko Fukada! It's neat that she's still acting in dramas; I remember watching her in Strawberry on the Shortcake back in the early 2000s (which, by the way, is the most angsty jdrama I've ever seen and has a soundtrack with a bunch of ABBA songs, though still worth watching because it has Yousuke Kubozuka, who owns and is one of my favorite jdrama actors).

Speaking of older j-dramas with Kubozuka in them, Ikebukuro West Gate Park is cool and good and has a neat OP song by SADS. I was doing this academic program thing the summer after my junior year in high school (2003) and hung out with this Japanese exchange student who was a big fan of SADS.

Davincie posted:

r-18: stopped reading this incredibly quickly, rape and blackmail fantasies ahoy, i liked the artstyle though so a 4

Haha, I also read some of this. It has most of the worst shoujo tropes that probably only make sense if you're a literal 14 year old girl and have no relationship experience (namely the "it's romantic when boys act like they want to own/control you" thing).

I skipped to the end, and in the last chapter she replaces her sex advice column thingy with a bunch of selfies of her and her boyfriend, and everyone - including all the adults and her parents - find this incredibly moving because "pictures are worth 1000 words." Only a teenager would think that phone selfies are something super deep and important and that other people would be emotionally moved by seeing a random couple.

The only good thing about that series is that the protagonist is at least actively interested in sex, even though it's usually just played for laughs. Most other shoujo manga just use sex as a plot device to indicate the culmination of a relationship.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 4, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Come to Kiss at 0:00 AM got an update from some random person who got tired of waiting on Chibi for another chapter. It's pretty cute so far, I like how down to earth Nana is and Kaede has a pretty strong gap moe thing going. I hope this one keeps being fun, because there's plenty of fertile ground for conflict and challenges with their status difference without having to stretch too far into needless drama.

I really like her art, and have read a little bit of the manga she wrote before this one, Today's Kira-kun, but it was kind of depressing and I've been waiting for it to get fully translated so I can read to the end instead of waiting on chapters, and have also spoiled the ending for myself because (ending spoiler) if he died in the end I wasn't going to read it but he does apparently survive lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I missed the post about Re-LIFE. I also wasn't expecting this development, and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. The most obvious interpretation of that scene is that Hishiro is also a Re-LIFE subject, but there are a few reasons I don't think that's the case (or wouldn't work well if it was the case):

1. All the stuff where she was emotionally stunted due to moving a bunch as a kid doesn't make much sense if she is actually a 27/28 year old, especially since we were shown her inner thoughts on the subject. While they could always say "well, we DIDN'T show you her thoughts about a bunch of stuff that happened in her twenties", that would be really lame and dumb.

2. On a practical level, it doesn't make any sense that she would be acing all her tests and stuff, since they've made it pretty clear that suddenly returning to your third year of high school results in you not knowing a bunch of stuff. While they could always say "well she's a genius or for some weird reason cares a lot about her grades despite being a Re-LIFE", that would be dumb.

3. A lot of her personality that was kind of quirky/cute as a teenager would just be really strange and off-putting as someone in their mid-late twenties.

I'm not sure I'm really happy with the other possible outcome, though - where she is actually a teenager but finds out Kaizaki is an adult. While Kaizaki-turned-teenager having a relationship with her is also kind of creepy/weird, having a romance with her being aware that he's older adds an extra dimension of inappropriate. Part of what makes big age-gap relationships - particularly those where one person is an adult and another is still in high school - a problem is that the younger person's awareness of the older person's age and (implied or real) authority factors into the equation. If she falls in love with Kaizaki without this knowledge, at least one side of the relationship isn't weird.

Another thing that seems like it won't make much sense regardless of what happens is why she only now began to think he was a Re-LIFE subject. If she was aware of the program, the "living alone and smoking" stuff would definitely be a way bigger red flag, rather than the strange way he behaved after the fireworks. Not to mention the fact that she seems like the last person to correctly interpret that behavior.

Even though it would be kind of lame given the cliffhanger, it seems like the best option might be for Ryo to go "nope he's not" and her to go "oh okay", with the reveal just being that she has some connection to the Re-Life program (for example a family member is an employee or subject). Such a reveal would also give the story an excuse for her to keep her memories.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been really resistant to the Kaizaki/Hishiro ship, at least as far as them getting together while they're both in high school because it's just too weird and unequal. I thought the point that it finally addressed a few chapters ago about how hosed up it would be to have a bunch of firsts with someone only for all that to get erased was also a point against them getting together. What I thought maybe it was going to do was let them meet again at the end, after Kaizaki was out of the program and Hishiro graduated, but even that would be weird because he'd remember her and she wouldn't remember him. It just doesn't work any way you approach it unless she keeps her memories so whether or not she's in the ReLife program or just connected to it somehow it does seem like this is setting up some way for her not to get memory-wiped and thus make it more OK to go out with Kaizaki.

The other thing is what a big deal the manga has made about the age gap and it just not being appropriate to Kaizaki for him to date a real high schooler despite his handlers kinda pushing him in that direction, so whatever the details of the reveal it's probably going to be something that (once he knows about it) makes it easier for him to get past the age thing.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
onoya is way cuter imo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

onoya is way cuter imo.

:agreed:

The final truth moment about ReLife from the last chapter felt somewhat random when I look back at what happened.

IIRC didn't they say it's against the rules for him meet his prior friends/family or the experiment would end? Is this the end of ReLife? It had a good run then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe she's just aware about the program because the previous subject spilled the beans and the whole memory losing thing is a lie. That way it might be less silly. Maybe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Poil posted:

Maybe she's just aware about the program because the previous subject spilled the beans and the whole memory losing thing is a lie. That way it might be less silly. Maybe.

I've always thought that the memory losing thing must be a lie, since there's a bunch of super obvious problems with it being real (primarily it completely loving up everyone the subject closely interacted with).

The series keeps mentioning how it would be cruel to Hishiro if he gets close to her and she loses her memories, but you know who else it would be arguably even worse for? Ouga. By all appearances, the MC is Ouga's best friend and possibly his *only* male friend. That poor guy would be so confused if his memories of the MC were removed. At least Hishiro, thanks to the actions of the MC, now has several other close friends.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
yo I don't know how many of you are reading Kengai Princess but if it's anything less than 100% of you that's a loving crime because it 100% rules. Plus it just got a bunch of updates recently so get on it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dordreff posted:

yo I don't know how many of you are reading Kengai Princess but if it's anything less than 100% of you that's a loving crime because it 100% rules. Plus it just got a bunch of updates recently so get on it.

The part where she mentions the spots on her upper arm is interesting, because I remember noticing those on a bunch of the girls (though only Asian ones seemed to have them) I went to high school and college with. I never really associated it with whether someone was attractive or not, though. That being said, they weren't dark like freckles or something, and it's kind of hard to tell how the protagonist's arms would translate to reality.

This comic is interesting because it is the first shoujo I've read where the main character is actually a somewhat unattractive dweeb; most just sort of tell you the protagonist is supposed to be bad looking, while drawing her in an attractive manner.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

dordreff posted:

It's like Watamote but with less autism and even more crushing social anxiety. Pro find.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the love interest guy, he is also a dweeb. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of so far is that the rival girl is terrible to the point where she feels more like a plot device than a human being, but that's a pretty minor complain (many shoujo manga seem to have this weird "most girls other than me and my friends are bitches and whores" thing going on). Overall it is very cute and funny.

edit: Ah, looks like terrible girl randomly became less terrible because the protagonist showed her some common human decency.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 6, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dordreff posted:

Does the translation for this ever get less unbearably bad? It's pretty painful. :(

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Pavlov posted:

It's like Watamote but with less autism and even more crushing social anxiety. Pro find.

Wait, no, nevermind, now it's just lobbing around drama bombs.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Gotta say that this is the first comic I've read that has used LINE a lot as opposed to e-mails or texts.

e: I caught up :tviv:

Pastrymancy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 7, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pastrymancy posted:

Gotta say that this is the first comic I've read that has used LINE a lot as opposed to e-mails or texts.

e: I caught up :tviv:

The Japanese web comic reLIFE also has characters that use LINE a bunch. I actually did not know that LINE is a real thing until seeing your post and googling it. I've also seen it mentioned a ton in Korean Naver webtoons (and apparently it was created by a subsidiary of Naver, so this makes sense).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Always fun, checking out the new manga chapter releases in the morning rather than doing work.

New Yona!

New Tamen de Gushi, with what I think are some out-of-order pages.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Nate RFB posted:

New Tamen de Gushi, with what I think are some out-of-order pages.

gonna interpret (what should be) the last panel as her thinking "oh no, I do like her" because it makes me happy and no one can stop me :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

abraham linksys posted:

gonna interpret (what should be) the last panel as her thinking "oh no, I do like her" because it makes me happy and no one can stop me :colbert:

She's getting there, don't worry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PUTONG

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Is PUTONG a Chinese version of "doki doki" or something?

Pavlov posted:

Wait, no, nevermind, now it's just lobbing around drama bombs.

Oh jeez, I just got to the part where Maru-chan is getting jealous about her buddies hanging out with other people and expanding their interests. I really hope this doesn't turn into A Thing. Teenagers being insecure about stuff like this is normal, but (at least in my experience) they don't normally act on it. I mean, they've been inviting her with them to do this stuff, so it's not like she's being left out.

edit: lol, now she is freaking out because her friends didn't play some DLC for their otome game before school

bitch is gonna stab someone, jesus

This translation is terrible. It seems like the translator is occasionally just putting "blah blah blah blah" for parts they deem unimportant.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Is PUTONG a Chinese version of "doki doki" or something?

It's a heartbeat onomatopoeia, like "ba-boom" or whatever: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linguistic_onomatopoeias#Heart_beating

It's not listed as a Chinese one but it also sounds like a heart beating so w/e.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It sounds like something takes off like a coiled spring to me. That can't be good for your heart.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Kengai Princess is a bit like Kuragehime but not as good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how in Kengai Princess the guy ended up not being interested in her. It was an interesting departure from the norm in these sorts of stories.

It says the series is ongoing; does it continue to follow her into high school? I sort of got the impression that it was in the process of ending and might only have a chapter or two left.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I think this is the right thread for this?

I just read Prunus Girl, which was very sweet. Is there anything like that, but maybe a bit older/less high school focused?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Chas McGill posted:

Kengai Princess is a bit like Kuragehime but not as good.

I like the nerdy characters group in this series more than I do the ones in Kuragehime. They're less obnoxious, despite being a lot younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Kylra posted:

I think this is the right thread for this?

I just read Prunus Girl, which was very sweet. Is there anything like that, but maybe a bit older/less high school focused?

There was this post earlier in the thread about some trans comics:

Sakurazuka posted:

On my phone so linking is a pain in the arse, I don't think they're going to be anything anyone who follows this thread regularly is going to be unaware of either, but anyway:

Prunus Girl - guy meets girl at the entrance exams results only when they start school the cute girl announced to everyone that she's actually a guy! Hijinx ensue. Also has a really good lesbian couple too.

Sazanami Cherry - very similar to the above only not really as good, the main difference is that the main character actually identifies as a girl rather than just dressing like one. Only one volume.

Kyon Kara Yonshimai - no idea, I've only read the first chapter so far, seems okay but if it's terrible, not my fault! Brother returns to family after two years at college where he didn't see any of them and surprises everyone by telling them he's actually a girl now.

Claudine - the only serious one, written in the 70's where there was zero chance of this sort of story ending happily, or indeed having anything happy happen ever.