Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Thel posted:

I don't know if my sphincter will ever unclench. :ohdear:

You know, I noticed this; this game really makes me tense up when playing. It's all fun until I'm done with a track and suddenly I'm unclenching muscles I wasn't aware I had tensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
finally got my g27 optical encoder replacement. Now to try and not break everything when i install it.

And also hope that it is actually what is wrong with my wheel.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
just requested to join as fricky weaver please approve me!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I broke out my wheel and gave this game a spin for the first time in a long time, and man, playing with a wheel in the mini cooper is like one long prolonged heart attack, and it's amazing. It's just a pain to set up my wheel with limited desk space. Also I'm a baby and use the wheel shifters rather than the actual stick.

I'm assuming later cars are less squirrely than the cooper?

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm assuming later cars are less squirrely than the cooper?

You assume incorrectly. You're in for some white knuckle rides until you hit Group A. Then they tame way down, assuming you're following the career "timeline". But maybe that's my preference speaking here.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Renounced posted:

You assume incorrectly. You're in for some white knuckle rides until you hit Group A. Then they tame way down, assuming you're following the career "timeline". But maybe that's my preference speaking here.

My first experience with the wheel was missing my very first turn and flying off of a cliff into the sunset. It's all uphill from here.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

CascadeBeta posted:

My first experience with the wheel was missing my very first turn and flying off of a cliff into the sunset. It's all uphill from here.

Could be a symptom having your steering saturation too high? Or maybe you cranked it too hard and the front traction gave out. Either way, it takes some getting use to but you'll figure it out. I recommend just doing Single Stage events against the community delta in custom rally to get the settings and new feel figured out.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Skwee posted:

finally got my g27 optical encoder replacement. Now to try and not break everything when i install it.

And also hope that it is actually what is wrong with my wheel.

the wheel seems to be working (installed the thing correctly)

Now we just wait and see if it loses calibration.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Renounced posted:

Could be a symptom having your steering saturation too high? Or maybe you cranked it too hard and the front traction gave out. Either way, it takes some getting use to but you'll figure it out. I recommend just doing Single Stage events against the community delta in custom rally to get the settings and new feel figured out.

Yeah it was just an unfamiliarity thing. I took it way too fast. By the second stage I was doing much better.

Granted, I ended the event on my front left rim and two flats, but I finished it, drat it. :colbert:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

3hrs into first steering wheel trip report:

not as fast as gamepad yet but everyone is so right when they say its more fun. I miss how strongly a gamepad rumbles with tyre slip and I think that is the main culprit as far as time goes because I am MUCH MUCH cleaner with the wheel, just never quite on the limit of acceleration... yet.

What is the situation with logitech wheel FFB profiles? Is there a clearly superior option around yet ?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Qmass posted:

not as fast as gamepad yet but everyone is so right when they say its more fun. I miss how strongly a gamepad rumbles with tyre slip and I think that is the main culprit as far as time goes because I am MUCH MUCH cleaner with the wheel, just never quite on the limit of acceleration... yet.

What is the situation with logitech wheel FFB profiles? Is there a clearly superior option around yet ?

There's 2 major profiles on the workshop, G27 Custom and G27 Real Rally Driver. The former is easier but still gives a great feeling FFB, while the second will rip your god drat arms off.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

If anyone's trying to do the daily today (Peugeot 205 through Kontinjarvi at night) - it's like ice skating with a rocket engine on your back. At night. And the ice has jumps as well. (I made it halfway through the stage before forcibly introducing the engine block to a tree...)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Qmass posted:

Get Real Rally Driver and don't look back: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581210146

Note the changes you make in the Logitech Profiler for Dirt Rally, along with the in-game profile.

As just mentioned, it's much more brutal than most other profiles, but in a very good way IMO and I drive much better with it than with the other one I was using.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

gently caress
It all went so well before

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

It's not necessary for this game at all. But this game does look good.
Let me tell you, my game goes from 220 FPS in Wales to 30 FPS in Greece all because of putting Trees on Medium.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Got the real rally driver FFB (which kicks arse btw), got my monitor up on some books so its in a position that roughly approximates the scale of the game with real life and I can almost forget im playing a game. Its made judging distances and speed so much easier. Before, with a gamepad, I was never sure if the amount of input was what I was going to want, now I feel like I know when I turn in how far to turn the wheel. I can't quite manage exactly what I want each time yet but for two days in and the first time using the s4 I am SO loving HYPED for this game all of a sudden.

This is the 3rd stage in wales after doing 3 in finland. (quick round the world to get used to the car) I smashed real good earlier and understeered into a couple of those cresting 2s in the woods and after repairing a popped tyre around half way I ended up just 1:35 off first place in master. What is the tyre penalty anyway? About 1:25?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4Ek0_J_Mw

tl;dr if you don't have a wheel yet, skip a few meals and get one.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The penalty is 1:30, I believe.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A friend of mine has a Logitech G25 lying around that I can probably convince him to sell to me. From what I've seen around the thread most of you have the G27; is there a huge difference between the two? As in "no, the G25 had a defect that will blow your arms off, get the G27"? Well, maybe not that much, but you get my meaning.

Cheers.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Edmond Dantes posted:

A friend of mine has a Logitech G25 lying around that I can probably convince him to sell to me. From what I've seen around the thread most of you have the G27; is there a huge difference between the two? As in "no, the G25 had a defect that will blow your arms off, get the G27"? Well, maybe not that much, but you get my meaning.

Cheers.

g27 has more buttons on the wheel, and the H-shifter can't be turned into sequential

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Daily reminder that the Delta S4 is twincharged :unsmigghh:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I cant believe how much easier this game is with a drat wheel. First time on a Finnish stage in a 3/5 focus rs 2001. As always, I cant drive for poo poo at high speed and its a little shaky at first but I end up nearly 4 seconds in front on master and top 800 globally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzQ5EaCsMpQ

Ill stop spamming poo poo now... None of my friends play racing games so I have nobody else to gush to :(

edit:

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 4, 2016

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Never not post.

I just reinstalled, but can't get my wheel rotation settings to feel right on my g27. 900 feels awful and doesn't sync up with the ingame wheel/hands, and it completely throws me off. Any suggestions?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

tehsid posted:

Never not post.

I just reinstalled, but can't get my wheel rotation settings to feel right on my g27. 900 feels awful and doesn't sync up with the ingame wheel/hands, and it completely throws me off. Any suggestions?

I go for 220, and I've seen people saying that's what Codemasters' testers use.

EDIT: Also, technically my IRL Polo is twincharged :smug:

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 4, 2016

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i use 345
also just turn off the wheel in-game. you already have a wheel in front of you, why do you need another

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

How exactly does soft lock work? Before I read about it I thought it was just letting you change how hard the lock (that you set in the profiler) was so you didn't break your wrists quite as much when you hit it but it sounds more like it automatically changes the rotation car to car? I gotta imagine modern rally cars are setup so they can essentially go lock to lock by letting go with one hand to get the last bit... Something around 540? Is there any way to check them so I can get a better idea of what rotation I actually want to try and set in the profiler?

Qmass fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 4, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

This game is fantastic. Bought it last night and disabled all assists as soon as I started playing (here in Finland it should be illegal to play racing games with assists on), and even though it's balls hard it's also immensely satisfying when you get the car to the end of a stage in one piece and maybe get a decent result (at this point I'm mostly getting 2nds and 3rds unless I gently caress up horribly). It's giving me the same vibes as Grand Prix Legends, and that is a good thing because I love that game.

Now I just need to play this with a wheel, the Xbone controller works well enough but it's just not the same. I have a Driving Force GT lying around, but found out I need to get a new ring wrench to be able to set up my wheel stand. :downs:

edit: aw, I found a realistic damage mod but it apparently doesn't work with the current version.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 4, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Qmass posted:

How exactly does soft lock work? Before I read about it I thought it was just letting you change how hard the lock (that you set in the profiler) was so you didn't break your wrists quite as much when you hit it but it sounds more like it automatically changes the rotation car to car? I gotta imagine modern rally cars are setup so they can essentially go lock to lock by letting go with one hand to get the last bit... Something around 540? Is there any way to check them so I can get a better idea of what rotation I actually want to try and set in the profiler?

It doesn't change rotation, just the steering lock in each car so they all feel right depending on your rotation. I don't think the Ego engine can do auto-rotation else they would've at least tried to put it in. Before they added it I was using 540 rotation but I just use 900 now and it's fine.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Skwee posted:

i use 345
also just turn off the wheel in-game. you already have a wheel in front of you, why do you need another

I was never a fan of having the wheel off in game, for some reason.

I'll give the lower settings a go though. Thanks lads.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you turn the hands off and just have the wheel animating by itself it'll match your wheel, another point where the Ego engine's limitations poke through.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

If you turn the hands off and just have the wheel animating by itself it'll match your wheel, another point where the Ego engine's limitations poke through.

I did not know that was possible. There you go, that'll help a heap. Thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the best way to make about 100k? I'm only on the second difficulty and just don't think I can do another round in my group B Audi. I need to get to Group A dammit!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Red_Fred posted:

What's the best way to make about 100k? I'm only on the second difficulty and just don't think I can do another round in my group B Audi. I need to get to Group A dammit!

dailies help a lot... I hear the custom events used to be great for earning $$ but that may have changed

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Now that I've got my wheel set up again, is there a recommended FFB profile for us poors with Driving Force GTs?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

:getin:

Ignore the slipper. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm pretty good at this rally thing, check out that split time :smug: (the actual gap to the community delta was only about 22 seconds) Also, reaching out to the keyboard next to me and taking my eyes off the road might not have been the best idea, but I didn't crash! Well, not there at least. I did have a brief meeting with a rock a bit later, which caused my exhaust to almost fall off but whatever.

By the way, if you like Dirt Rally and don't have a racing wheel, stop what you're doing and go buy a racing wheel. Playing this game on a wheel (even a cheaper one like the DFGT), instead of a gamepad elevates it from "really loving intense" to "the scariest game ever made", and I haven't even touched the Group B cars yet. :stonklol: I love it.

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Red_Fred posted:

I don't know about how to get 100k quickly, but you might want to skip Group A. I feel like something is bugged with the AI cars in it as they seem to set incredibly fast times (specifically the Ford Cosworth), but I haven't been able to confirm this. Or maybe I'm just terrible.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hm, after sampling the Group B cars and spending more time in the woods and upside down than on the course, I'm finding the Lancia Stratos quite pleasant by comparison. I mean, it still occasionally tries to murder me by veering into the nearest roadside object, but it doesn't seem to consistently hate me like the Group B cars. I've played my share of Sega Rally, so I was expecting far worse from the Stratos.

I also turned the HUD off because I kept getting distracted by the split times and the progress meter. ("Oh poo poo, I'm so far behind and the stage is almost over, gotta go faster" *goes way too fast and wraps car around a tree*) Actually listening to the pace notes will take some getting used to, but I'm not doing that much worse than I was before.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I do much better with the HUD off. Even the pacenote HUD distracts me from looking at the road itself, so I turned that off and just listen to the co-driver. Even then I'll momentarily think man this is cool, I gotta show my dad and miss a "crest and immediate square right" call :downs:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah I have a lot more fun without the hud. Only downside is sometimes I'll get a flat and not sure if I should just continue or restart since I don't know how far it is to the end of the stage, so I always just keep going.

• Locked thread