Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

The attacks on Cruz begin! Rick Santorum is running this ad in Iowa and on Vimeo for some reason.

https://vimeo.com/150546514

"all jihadists are muslims!"

huge if true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Magical realism is an underappreciated genre. I'm glad Carson is trying out new writing styles and storylines. Neil Gaiman, watch out!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They could improve the primary by playing the Hunger Game theme and projecting the face of candidate who just dropped out on the washington monument.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

etalian posted:

not exactly, it was due to the troll wall between Hitler and Stalin, both parties thought war was inevitable

At the risk of a derail (well given the Trumpenreich references and talk of shaking down Mexico for wall pesos, not really much of one) the entire concept of lebensraum is that the Russian lands to Germany's east were rich and fertile and would be great German land if not for the annoying people who lived there.

Ideology did play a role but Stalin was quite happy to let Hitler and the West fight each other to a draw and then knife whomever won years later. Hitler just attacked too soon.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm talking about how he will eventually spin his plan when properly challenged on the details. Trump won't be elected, so actual logistics are immaterial.

Who is going to do that? Not the media, and any theoretical debates won't be in a format to allow "proper" challenging on details of any policy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

mike12345 posted:

at least you'll be rich for the split-second the golden bullet travels through your skull

Love it. New Trump slogan: "Every American dies rich!"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm talking about how he will eventually spin his plan when properly challenged on the details. Trump won't be elected, so actual logistics are immaterial.

You assume Trump has an actual plan when by all available evidence he is literally just saying whatever pops in his head that make people cheer him, because he is a textbook classic narcissist masquerading as a strongman.

Plan for foreign policy: Kill ISIS! (why has no one thought of this before) Steal Iraq's oil! (Iraq's oil output still hasn't recovered from the 2004 attempt) STOP MUSLIMS! (yes, by all means validate ISIS' primary ideology that they represent the world's 1.4 billion Muslims in a death jihad against the world, that will work)

Plan for economy: Cut taxes! End Obamacare! Stop being Obama! (to be fair this is the default GOP position, Trump just uses loud hooting noises)

Plan for legacy: Build a big, beautiful wall! With a door! Mexico will totally pay for it! (this alone is so unbelievably stupid that I almost literally shudder with rage that the media does not spend every time Trump is on TV explaining to their viewers that the nice man saying things is in fantasyland)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

They could improve the primary by playing the Hunger Game theme and projecting the face of candidate who just dropped out on the washington monument.

Colbert does this on late show and calls it the hungry for power games :haw:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Lum_ posted:

Plan for legacy: Build a big, beautiful wall! With a door! Mexico will totally pay for it!

Personally I think it would be easier to relocate 170 million Central Americans to South America, then fill the Panama Canal with electric eels.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Wait... A hair clip? Why a loving hair clip. Did they not have a single knife or pair of scissors in the house.

Did he mean he clamped the umbilical cord as that at least sounds semi plausible. I know Carsons stuff is deep in fiction but he has been confirmed as an actual surgeon so you would think he would be able to at least make the medical stuff sound plausible.

Also with the ISIS stuff what will the pro-lets bomb ISIS candidates do if ISIS is pretty much finished off before the next election. While they still hold some major towns and cities they've lost a hell of a lot of territory in the last few month and are in a pretty serious retreat at the moment. If ISIS isn't holding any territory who are they going to threaten to bomb to make people feel safe, Suadi? Iran? Canada?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
King Corn is now stalking Ted Cruz in Iowa:

quote:

DES MOINES, Iowa — Ted Cruz arrives Monday for his first Iowa trip of 2016, but he won't just be battling Marco Rubio and Donald Trump. He'll been fending off the state's influential corn lobby.

As Cruz kicks off a six-day bus tour across the state, his critics in the state's ethanol industry will be trailing close behind in a RV. They're hoping to highlight the Texas senator's opposition to a federal mandate that ethanol be mixed into gasoline at each of Cruz's planned 28 stops.

"We're going to be turning out all of our allies," said Eric Branstad, the son of longtime Iowa Republican Gov. Terry Branstad and the state director for America's Renewable Future. The group supports the so-called the Renewable Fuel Standard, which Cruz has vocally opposed. “Iowans can’t trust him and we have a duty to let them know why.”

In addition to trailing Cruz's bus, the group is buying newspaper, radio and digital ads to shadow Cruz, and launching robo-calls to Iowans a month before the caucuses. At one point the group considered having someone dressed in a giant corn-on-the-cob costume stalk Cruz across the state. The idea was ultimately scrapped.

"We thought about bringing 'Captain Cornelius' but ultimately that's not something that we're doing," said spokeswoman Majda Sarkic of the mascot the corn-growing industry has used previously.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/ted-cruz-iowa-corn-pro-ethanol-group-217313#ixzz3wIOWgjM8

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I'm convinced Iowa is trolling everybody each election cycle when people start caring about them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

dr_rat posted:

Wait... A hair clip? Why a loving hair clip. Did they not have a single knife or pair of scissors in the house.
That's what I love about these Carson stories. They're so absurd on their face. Like, "he showed up just in time to catch the kid with one hand and the afterbirth with the other" is funny enough but then "he had to cut the umbilical chord with a hair clip" is just absurd. Its your bathroom, not a foxhole in a warzone, buddy. I'm surprised he didn't chew it with his teeth.

Ben Carson is a crazy person and its great. Because he'll never, ever, ever be president.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz says that nobody should use or threaten force to protest the government.

:rip:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That seems like a very GOP establishment thing to say.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I hope if Cruz becomes the GoP nominee he shits all over the Corn Lobby. gently caress corn ethanol.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm sure the Oathkeepers caught a wink and a nod from that custard-faced shitter.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I wonder if Trump's "masterstroke" on "making Mexico pay for it" will be a Wall Tariff on Mexican goods.

Didn't he at one point explicitly say that this was his plan?

STAC Goat posted:

That's what I love about these Carson stories. They're so absurd on their face. Like, "he showed up just in time to catch the kid with one hand and the afterbirth with the other" is funny enough but then "he had to cut the umbilical chord with a hair clip" is just absurd. Its your bathroom, not a foxhole in a warzone, buddy. I'm surprised he didn't chew it with his teeth.

The thing I love about these Carson stories is that they don't actually make him look good. His wife was in labor and couldn't wake him until literally the baby was halfway out?

Lum_ posted:

Plan for foreign policy: Kill ISIS! (why has no one thought of this before) Steal Iraq's oil! (Iraq's oil output still hasn't recovered from the 2004 attempt) STOP MUSLIMS! (yes, by all means validate ISIS' primary ideology that they represent the world's 1.4 billion Muslims in a death jihad against the world, that will work)

To be fair, I think he's espousing stealing Syria's oil as well.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ben Carson: the Tucker Max of the Republican primaries.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

a poor conservative mans bill murray

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

The thing I love about these Carson stories is that they don't actually make him look good. His wife was in labor and couldn't wake him until literally the baby was halfway out?

Ben Carson being in an ambien-level coma is actually what I find most believable.

But like every other Carson story, you give it a little scrutiny and you end up with more unanswered questions. If your husband was non-responsive when you were having an emergency, why not call 911? Most people would, because having a non-responsive spouse is a very scary and bad thing, and might indicate that they too are in the middle of a different medical emergency.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

That "new" Jeb! ad was uploaded to YouTube on December 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-elGMD1a0tQ

what is this reverb thing going on, the little "i approved this message" thing even has it

is this a real ad or am i being punked

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dr_rat posted:

What if it was the only sterile blade in the house? Do you want bacteria and tetanus-laden items near your newborn? :colbert:

Do you still beat your wife What was the last vaccination you refused to get your child?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Montasque posted:

So the top political news this morning was "Donald Trump releases an ad"
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/news-networks-donate-millions-to-donald-trump-by-racing-to-air-first-tv-ad/

His ad has already been played numerous times over at CNN, MSNBC, and FOXNEWS.

All for free!

This is why Trump hasn't really needed to spend as much money as the other candidates and most of it has gone into hats and shirts.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Who is going to do that? Not the media, and any theoretical debates won't be in a format to allow "proper" challenging on details of any policy.

If he manages to win the primary (still unlikely, but increasingly possible) he's going to see pretty much every one of his proposals challenged. Right now he's skating by on his right-populism and the media is as spineless as ever, but you can bet that the Dem nominee/party will step up come the general election.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

TALK RADIO UPDATE:

Rush - first hour fairly boring, but he's now getting into the Trump terror video, and how the media is covering for Hillary's lie. And on this he's correct: Hillary's statement was that there was a video, not that there would be a video, and Al-Shebab is not ISIS... Regardless I know Hillary was right in spirit, but ISIS actually has recruitment videos that feature Bill and Obama so it's really not that much of a stretch to think Trump would show up in one of these eventually.

This entire video-flap serves Trump since it keeps his name in the headlines, I'm sure he's happy he's the first, second, and third political story today.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Canadians aren't big on violence outside of the hockey rink

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mister Macys posted:

What if it was the only sterile blade in the house? Do you want bacteria and tetanus-laden items near your newborn? :colbert:

A surgery cutting tool should not have a none zero chance of giving the surgery area nits! Also still not a cutting tool! Also if you have no sterile blades do your dishes more!

Mister Macys posted:

What was the last vaccination you refused to get your child?

All of them! As I do not believe in vaccinating children who do not exist and forcing tax payers to pay for it, unlike some other candidates I could mention! (*looks directly at Mister Macys*)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

Eh, I know that the Jeb! Iraq War quote was great and hilarious and hosed him up for a bit, but what was the impact on the people that actually matter (Republican primary voters)? I mean, these are the same voters that are currently supporting "nuke their rear end and take their gas" Trump.

Gaffes are as effective as the underlying fault of a candidate. The Howard Dean scream didn't sink Howard Dean. A lack of belief about his electoral chances against Bush did, the scream only acted as a focus of the antipathy of the electorate and establishment towards his candidacy. Same with Bush, focus groups pre-Trump (PT) show that there was an underlying antipathy to electing another Bush.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Rush is now claiming that the Clinton Foundation donors made the TRUMP terror video... Hahaha of course.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do It Once Right posted:

Ben Carson being in an ambien-level coma is actually what I find most believable.

But like every other Carson story, you give it a little scrutiny and you end up with more unanswered questions. If your husband was non-responsive when you were having an emergency, why not call 911? Most people would, because having a non-responsive spouse is a very scary and bad thing, and might indicate that they too are in the middle of a different medical emergency.

I don't know why people are focusing on the birth story. He's claiming that he stopped a car jacking. I'm guessing with three other agile citizens, waiving implements, born from the ooze.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

If he manages to win the primary (still unlikely, but increasingly possible) he's going to see pretty much every one of his proposals challenged. Right now he's skating by on his right-populism and the media is as spineless as ever, but you can bet that the Dem nominee/party will step up come the general election.

We'll see. I have about as much faith in the DNC as I do in Trump seriously trying to implement any of his policies.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I misread Ben Carson college foosball champion as football. I'm not sure which is less believable.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I don't know why people are focusing on the birth story. He's claiming that he stopped a car jacking. I'm guessing with three other agile citizens, waiving implements, born from the ooze.

And Friend Bear. Don't forget Friend Bear's contribution.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

nachos posted:

I misread Ben Carson college foosball champion as football. I'm not sure which is less believable.

He has Gifted Hands so I buy it.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

It's 4th and 10 with 2 seconds left on the clock and 34 long yards to victory. This one's for all the marbles. There's the snap and Carson is off like a rocket. He dodges coverage like only a brilliant pediatric neurosurgeon could. He breaks left, and suddenly he's wide open in the end zone. With two staccato pings, his QB launches her payload. The entire stadium holds its breath...

With his left hand only, Carson gently palms his premature baby son, and with his right he deftly catches the afterbirth. Fans of both teams explode with the force of a bomb. Carson uses his laser vision to cut the umbilical cord, and his amazing endzone dance is widely regarded as the most beautiful dance ever seen.

Carson refuses the MVP award for his miraculous performance, citing that Jesus Christ is the only true most valuable player we need. The NFL isn't having it, though. They insist he at least accept $10 for his amazing game.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Grifting Hands

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

That's a legit good ad for the purposes of winning a Republican primary.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

Gaffes are as effective as the underlying fault of a candidate. The Howard Dean scream didn't sink Howard Dean. A lack of belief about his electoral chances against Bush did, the scream only acted as a focus of the antipathy of the electorate and establishment towards his candidacy. Same with Bush, focus groups pre-Trump (PT) show that there was an underlying antipathy to electing another Bush.

This is good, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

dr_rat posted:

A surgery cutting tool should not have a none zero chance of giving the surgery area nits! Also still not a cutting tool! Also if you have no sterile blades do your dishes more!

Facetious humor and all that ( :hfive: ), but this only sanitizes, it does not render the items sterile.

quote:

All of them! As I do not believe in vaccinating children who do not exist and forcing tax payers to pay for it, unlike some other candidates I could mention! (*looks directly at Mister Macys*)

I'm not a candidate, I'm the Fox News moderator! :tipshat:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread