Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rudatron posted:

Absolutely not - the threat of lethal force is the appropriate response to non-compliance, and in fact is what police officers are supposed to do. If you resist arrest or attempt to escape custody (in cases where you are armed and violent) for example, you're not technically using lethal force, but the use of lethal force against you is still acceptable.

Uuh, no? That's not actually the law?

quote:

Under U.S. law the fleeing felon rule was limited in 1985 to non-lethal force in most cases by Tennessee v. Garner, 471 U.S. 1. The justices held that deadly force "may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others."[2]

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force.

— Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]
Fleeing felons may be followed into places not open to the public without a warrant if the officer is in "hot pursuit.[4] Deadly force that is executed by a co-defendant against an accomplice is not justified by the fleeing felon rule.

Officers can only "escalate" to deadly force where the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, which is not the case for most criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lycus posted:

What sort of wildlife are currently at the refuge? Just so I know what they'll be eating until they run out of ammo.

It's all brush and grass land, so maybe some birds.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GreenNight posted:

It's all brush and grass land, so maybe some birds.

supposedly some deer around since thats what the assholes they are there claming to represent were poaching, but actually shooting them just adds to the laundry list of charges they have started building for themselves.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Spaceman Future! posted:

supposedly some deer around since thats what the assholes they are there claming to represent were poaching, but actually shooting them just adds to the laundry list of charges they have started building for themselves.

They'd deer to kill the President's dare?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They would double dog dare too with this one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What if Trump attempts to mediate the situation, to appear even more presidential?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

:hfive:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Nonsense posted:

What if Trump attempts to mediate the situation, to appear even more presidential?

I don't think anyone can appear presidential by taking these chucklefucks seriously but it's definitely the sort of headline grab that would tempt the Trump.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gravel Gravy posted:

I deersay, this pun is too deerly needed for this thread, my dear.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cythereal posted:

See the militia's rhetoric in this case. They like and support sheriffs so long as the sheriffs support the militia, and will turn on them without hesitation or regret if the local law enforcement opposes the militia.

Typically they like and support sheriffs because the sheriffs support whatever issues they're all on about (or can easily be induced to do so). It's easy for, say, a rich well-connected major local landowner to influence local authorities into favoring them, whereas federal authorities require much bigger connections. It's a lot easier to go to the same yacht club as a local police chief or town councilman than it is to go to the same yacht club as the director of the FBI or a US senator. Their "good old boys" network simply doesn't extend to federal authorities, so while they can easily convince local authorities to look the other way or convert all punishments to gentle wrist-slapping, they don't get jack poo poo from the feds - and it infuriates them, because they're so used to being untouchable feudal lords around town and hate being reduced to normal people who have to follow the same rules as everyone else. Hell, that's exactly what they're pissed about in this case in particular - a local judge and jury outright ignored mandatory sentencing requirements written into the law and gave them a slap on the wrist because "well, they're pillars of the community and didn't actually kill anyone", but higher courts overturned that verdict as illegal.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe we're thinking of this the wrong way.

After all, Occupy Wall Street also got violently shut down, and that was a pretty white movement.

The government does shut down actual protest movements. They aren't shutting this one down (in part) because it isn't an actual protest movement; it's a bunch of conspiracy whackjobs who have driven themselves crazy by spending too much time listening to each other, and they aren't actually protesting anything of any significance beyond their own delusions.

If they were protesting actual grievances they'd be shut down harder than Occupy was (though, admittedly, they'd still not get the treatment the Panthers got).

Did it? I know many Occupy groups were left alone until it petered out on its own a year or so later. Several Occupy movements in major metropolitan areas were busted, like the ones in NYC and Chicago, but there's an important distinction there - those were typically in major areas of the city and busted by local police. The incentives there are different - mayors don't generally have the patience to watch protest marches through the middle of downtown every day for months on end, and local police departments are generally reluctant to be seen as sitting on their thumbs and ignoring something that's annoying rich white people who work in the area. The federal government, on the other hand, doesn't really care - they're more than happy to close the place for a couple months and sue the ranchers later for any losses. In the meantime, they can just blame the ranchers for the place being closed, which will erode their support in the local area.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Cross post from the pic thread

Supposedly found on the Bundy Ranch FB page

The Daniel Brewer in question DO NOT LINK TO PEOPLE'S FACEBOOK PROFILES THANK YOU --- MGMT

Look at that thug flashing his crazy gang signals! What a deplorable culture of violence that produced him

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Scratch Monkey posted:

The Daniel Brewer in question ...

Look at that thug flashing his crazy gang signals! What a deplorable culture of violence that produced him

He's got this on his Facebook page, I don't think he's such a bad guy.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 5, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Scratch Monkey posted:

The Daniel Brewer in question ...

Hell, that's believable. I've known a fundy republican in the past that bitched about moochers on government funding while his whole household was kept up by his dad's government funding checks and blamed Obama for taking away his job as a paper delivery man because people were being forced to get their news from the internet. Clods like these are simply too stupid to survive on their own. That's why they herd together for stupid poo poo like this

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 5, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SocketWrench posted:

Hell, that's believable. I've known a fundy republican in the past that bitched about moochers on government funding while his whole household was kept up by his dad's government funding checks and blamed Obama for taking away his job as a paper delivery man because people were being forced to get their news from the internet. Clods like these are simply too stupid to survive on their own. That's why they herd together for stupid poo poo like this

They're people who want things to go back to The Time When Things Were Good And Made Sense. They've been left behind in a rapidly changing world - culturally, technologically, economically - and are trying to reassert some measure of control and power over their lives in the only way they feel is open to them. Someone must be to blame, to them, and this group has chosen the US federal government. This is a large part of what leads men to abuse their families. Remove the technological bit and I think you've also got the fundamental animus behind most mass shooters and the like.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I just want to say I love this so much because it's basically the old seaseading/citadel/Reddit-isle fiction threads come true.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

rudatron posted:

An officer is expected to use the appropriate level of force to overcome resistance - that means they have a 'right' to escalate, something normal citizens don't have. That's why they're the police. That's obviously not justifying pointless killing, or using more force that is appropriate, but you are dead wrong if you think that lethal force can only be used in response to lethal force. That's not how it works.

edit: Though I'll admit your response is technically understandable - I didn't but should have qualified the terms about overcoming resistance. That's my mistake.

Interesting. Am an American whos been overseas for a long time and it didnt feel like that many places, that whole right to escalate thing. Seems kinda brutish

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rubber Tucky posted:

He's got this on his Facebook page, I don't think he's such a bad guy.

i sorta agree with that one. less terrible rich assholes with dumb problems shows, and more henry winkler.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Scratch Monkey posted:

The Daniel Brewer in question [a url was here, it's gone now]

Maybe you should not post people's personal Facebook pages in this thread?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Maybe you should not post people's personal Facebook pages in this thread?

Yeah, let's not shame these guys publicly attaching their names to statements on open facebook pages. That would be rude.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Astrofig posted:

All hail the y'allQueda yeehaw'dists!
Jihadi Jimbob

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Jesus loving christ, some of you people itt are just as bad as the people you so vehemently hate. Dont post peoples facebooks.

AnemicChipmunk
Oct 23, 2012

The federal government will probably do nothing about this, and in a couple of months Vanilla ISIS will set fire to the place and surrounding area and flee. They'll then blame the government for another Waco-like incident and the conspiracy theories will fly.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah, let's not shame these guys publicly attaching their names to statements on open facebook pages. That would be rude.

Unless something's changed I'm pretty sure harassing people IRL via the forums, even indirectly through Facebook, isn't kosher. And it's probably best not to give some idiot here the temptation. But, eh, whatever, I'm not gonna hound you on this or anything.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Jesus loving christ, some of you people itt are just as bad as the people you so vehemently hate. Dont post peoples facebooks.

How is it goons fault people post stupid poo poo on their public facebook page.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shaming idiots who want to kill people in the name of retarded libertarian 3%er/Oathkeeper bullshit is cool and good.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty funny watching some of the same people who gasp in horror at every single police shooting in the cop thread crying for the death of these guys.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It seems like the Oregon building seizure has been a top news story even here on the local news. The "overthrow the county and federal government and hope to spark a movement nationwide" has been getting a lot of play too.

So, tell me again: how is this not treason? They are literally declaring overthrow of the government.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

-Troika- posted:

It's pretty funny watching some of the same people who gasp in horror at every single police shooting in the cop thread crying for the death of these guys.

Just so people understand what you are saying very clearly. You are equating people getting angry over unarmed and sometimes completely innocent people getting killed by cops to a group of armed militia men who have threatened to kill any cops who try to stop them from breaking the law. Just want to make sure everyone sees your post for what it is.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Troika- posted:

Being wrongly killed for no reason =/= Being killed for threatening government workers with guns

I have family in the BLM and if this poo poo actually got hot I would absolutely want these idiot revolutionaries drone striked because it would be nice if my relatives didn't get shot by some hillfolk.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It seems like the Oregon building seizure has been a top news story even here on the local news. The "overthrow the county and federal government and hope to spark a movement nationwide" has been getting a lot of play too.

So, tell me again: how is this not treason? They are literally declaring overthrow of the government.

On Fox News some lady tried to argue that its not terrorism/treason/whatever because they "just happen to have guns" so they're just doing the same thing as Occupy Wallstreet, or the unions in Wisconsin, or #BLM. Just, you know, they have guns surgically attached to their hips so they "happen" to be there.

It was absurd but she was debating Alan Colmes, so you know.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Treason in the US is specifically:

quote:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort

This is better described as sedition.

quote:

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 4, 2016

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

-Troika- posted:

some of the same people

Who are these people, specifically? Can you even link to anything at all to back that claim up?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

-Troika- posted:

I ejaculate euphorically at every single police shooting and I will ejaculate euphorically when these terrorists get theirs too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

yeah who would ever post people's dumb statements from across the internet on something awful, of all places

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

Treason in the US is specifically:

This is better described as sedition.

Alrighty, thanks for the clarification, my bad.

But the premise still stands: how is this not sedition?

E: actually, now that I think about it, could you be tried for treason under the "giving Aid and Comfort" clause, if, say, you were a doctor with Doctor Without Borders and gave medical aid to a member of the Taliban/al-Qaeda/ISIS/etc? This is an actual question, not a rhetorical one.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

-Troika- posted:

One would think the whole threatening to KILL anyone who tries to stop them thing would be a pretty important detail in changing people's opinions on the two matters.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Alrighty, thanks for the clarification, my bad.

But the premise still stands: how is this not sedition?

It is!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:laffo: look at this moron.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

For the record, I would prefer if no one got killed and everyone involved gets lots of jail time.

However, IF some of these mouth breathers happened to get killed, well I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

One would think the whole threatening to KILL anyone who tries to stop them thing would be a pretty important detail in changing people's opinions on the two matters.

white people don't mean it when they say theyre going to kill you, you know theyre going to kill you when they tell you to drop the hairbrush. DUH.

Personally Im glad we have these brave renegades securing our federal land, just as I am now much more secure in movie theaters and schools now that the scum has been scared away from them.

• Locked thread