Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Blackula69 posted:

yeah, with VR being a big deal this week prepare for normies talking about computer hardware.

are you thinking preorders go up by thurs? my wager would be either this week or the end of the month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
they're going up on Wednesday at 8am PST

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

they're going up on Wednesday at 8am PST

cool, I've decided that there's definitely a little money to be made snatching up one or two of the preorders and reselling them even if the oculus is too rich for my blood

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

cool shout out to people like you crashing the servers buying eight of them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im going to build a new compy when the new NVidia gpus come out and i'll buy an occulus then

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

cool shout out to people like you crashing the servers buying eight of them

maybe they could pay for cloud hosting instead with their b-b-b-billions

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah i just found out my contract is ending so i can't buy completely unnecessary consumer technology, it's a real disappointment

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

im going to build a new compy when the new NVidia gpus come out and i'll buy an occulus then

same

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it's weird that they have a preorder date but will not announce the price. it's seeming like it might even be tougher than predicted if they're playing their cards this close

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

If you’re looking to get in on virtual reality’s ground floor, get ready. Oculus has announced that Rift pre-orders open in just two days.

Before you ask, no. The company still has not revealed how much you can expect to spend on the display. We do know that the Rift includes a tracking camera, Xbox One controller, and Xbox One wireless adapter. 

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

woops beaten. was busy laughing

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
its going to be like 420 dollars haha, weed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
oculus splift

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i'm the 60+ dollars added to the purchase price for a competitor's controller

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i'm the 60+ dollars added to the purchase price for a competitor's controller

THE EARLY ADOPTERS WILL SAVE US

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if it's under $700, i'm buying it, i set an actual alarm so i remember, in case they sell out of preorders

kinda poo poo that it comes with a controller i don't need, but welp i'm a sucker

it'll probably be restricted to one per CC# so good luck buying 8 at a time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a low price is literally the only thing that will get VR going, if every company ends up wanting 800 bucks for theirs we won't be having the VR conversation in 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i think sony is targeting $300 for their ps4 thing, there's no way they will sell a peripheral at a higher cost than the system itself, that idea's DOA

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

first-gen VR is going to be for nerds no matter what they do. they'll be selling it at a loss. I'm guessing $400 USD

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

you know what gamers who have whatever $1000 pc is required to use this thing don't have? a controller.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

most people don't have an xbox one controller, no. and this ensures that they have the appropriate input device on hand. how is that the issue

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

as long as the dongle works with pcs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blackula69 posted:

most people don't have an xbox one controller, no. and this ensures that they have the appropriate input device on hand. how is that the issue
calling xbox one controller appropriate may very well be an issue to a surprisingly large fraction of users

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

if the goal is to not price themselves out of the market, i don't see why they're adding $60 to the price for no reason when an old 360 pad or a DS4 or whatever people already own will do just fine

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
because they didn't pay $60 retail, how much do you think those controllers actually cost to source directly from MS as a partner buying a cool million of them I'd be surprised if it was more than $20

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

i think sony is targeting $300 for their ps4 thing, there's no way they will sell a peripheral at a higher cost than the system itself, that idea's DOA

Sony is going to have a presser shortly after Oculus preorder mania has died down where they out price it because they're the only company poised to sell the thing as a loss and it will be amazing

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

if it included those wonky occulus handcuff controllers, fine, but it doesn't. it's literally an off the shelf Xbox controller

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
aaaaaand i'm no longer interested if they're going to shove the cost of an xbone controller + receiver into it

i have a hotas, and it's not like the rift's going to be acceptable for anything other than vehicle sims. why do i need to pay for an inferior controller that i don't want or need?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yes i'm sure depending on people (especially those new to VR) to have a bunch of different input devices is better than having one standardized brand-new controller that's included in the package

yeah and i bet it totally added a full sixty american dollars to the final price, that's surely the agreement microsoft came to with facebook to have its hardware included as the standard on the first consumer VR headset. i bet it costs microsoft at least $55 to make them!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

kalstrams posted:

calling xbox one controller appropriate may very well be an issue to a surprisingly large fraction of users

xinput is currently the gold standard for PC games because it Just Works. it is still a painful process, in tyool 2015 to get a ps4 controller working on and even then games will never recognize it properly because there is no PlayStation input standard for Windows

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Al! posted:

Sony is going to have a presser shortly after Oculus preorder mania has died down where they out price it because they're the only company poised to sell the thing as a loss and it will be amazing

are you seriously suggesting sony has more money than facebook

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Space-Pope posted:

aaaaaand i'm no longer interested if they're going to shove the cost of an xbone controller + receiver into it

i have a hotas, and it's not like the rift's going to be acceptable for anything other than vehicle sims. why do i need to pay for an inferior controller that i don't want or need?

its the best controller there is

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah I was prepared to buy a consumer VR headset for $390 but $400 WITH the best PC controller there is? no thanks.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

yes i'm sure depending on people (especially those new to VR) to have a bunch of different input devices is better than having one standardized brand-new controller that's included in the package

yeah and i bet it totally added a full sixty american dollars to the final price, that's surely the agreement microsoft came to with facebook to have its hardware included as the standard on the first consumer VR headset. i bet it costs microsoft at least $55 to make them!

i'm sure the developer of the Microsoft HoloLens product would make a deal amenable to Facebook's own VR system

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
dragons dogma port is looking pretty good. capcom is hilariously inconsistent with their port quality.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Al! posted:

xinput is currently the gold standard for PC games because it Just Works. it is still a painful process, in tyool 2015 to get a ps4 controller working on and even then games will never recognize it properly because there is no PlayStation input standard for Windows
it works, sure thing. not all people need one/another one/new one or want microsoft layout

Valeyard posted:

its the best controller there is
'tis a good bait

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

are you seriously suggesting sony has more money than facebook

Sony is a profitable company (in large part due to the games business). Facebook has a lot of capital behind it but is not structured in a way so that they could tell shareholders well we're out 400 mil on these things but at least we got them into people's hands which is a major part of our 5 and 10 year plans with the PlayStation 4 and not get strung up

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yes surely microsoft would drive a hard bargain on the hundreds of thousands if not millions of controllers it will sell as the standard for VR based on a non-consumer prototype that it has shown off all of twice and that microsoft itself has said won't be on the market for years

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
hololens has lol in the name in case anybody missed it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

leftist heap posted:

dragons dogma port is looking pretty good. capcom is hilariously inconsistent with their port quality.

does capcom have businesses outside of games & games merchandise because they've quietly been pulling a konami for years

• Locked thread