Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

mike12345 posted:

seriously? so if I show up in my ghetto gear, I just get kicked?

Note that ascended armor isn't super important, just the weapon, trinkets, and appropriate food buffs. Armor is an almost negligible contribution to overall survival/damage, but the weapon alone increases your damage by a ton. Not all ascended gear is created equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Character slots are on sale today for 25% off.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

mike12345 posted:

seriously? so if I show up in my ghetto gear, I just get kicked?

The entire raid has been cleared with everyone wearing exotics, but requires everyone to have perfect play. The weapons and trinkets let people have leeway with some of the mechanics if you can dps high enough to get the bosses to enter phases ( ie dps fast enough to avoid adds spawning).

E: also most of the dps loss comes from not dealing with the mechanics, avoiding blue circles on VG, avoiding Gorse's knockdown and eggs, Sab's bombs/cannons. I'd rather take someone in full exotics that can deal with the mechanics over someone in full rear end gear that can't.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 2, 2016

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
link your gearscore and ahead of the curve chieve or kick

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
So if i wanted to gear someone for raids or high level fractals who would be the best choice? berserker rev?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

So if i wanted to gear someone for raids or high level fractals who would be the best choice? berserker rev?

yeah its good

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

All you need for high level fractals is AR, with all the cheese that happens, class means very little.

You can't go wrong with zerker rev, but I think each class has a viable spec that does well in the raids.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lyer posted:

I think each class has a viable spec that does well in the raids.

reported for trolling

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

reported for trolling

Venomshare thief is viable, you just don't want it gear up in vipers. (I don't blame you)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Lyer posted:

Venomshare thief is viable, you just don't want it gear up in vipers. (I don't blame you)

I just did this with my condi engi a couple weeks ago.

Never again...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Does anybody actually take venom share thief, though? Serious question. It seems like another case of 'well thief can do x, but y class does it better.'

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
I've seen people play venom share on Gorseval/Sabetha and it seemed alright.

e: somebody already said it but knowing the mechanics is the most important part.

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 2, 2016

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Speaking of mechanics, I made a new engi! also four other new alts, saving all those gems finally paid off and now I have three of each class for what seemed like a good reason at the time

But I made it look old, and tired, and miserable, and now I feel bad

Look at how sad it looks

Look at how full of joy and enthusiasm it doesn't look like

"Should I go run another meta train, or slit my wrists"

"ehhhhhhhhhhhhh"

(on the plus side I'd been waiting to use the name Flamethrowrug for months)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ApeHawk posted:

I just did this with my condi engi a couple weeks ago.

Never again...

I have been slowly convincing myself to build a set for my warrior, ranger and necro. I think it'll be easier if I grind my fractal up to a high enough level to start getting ascended boxes at this rate. I should do that for the chance at weapons alone.

Then again in GW1 I ran like 8 alts through their entire story + EotN + war in kryta in a row just to get enough of those weapons and royal gifts to sell to complete my HoM. Gunning through the HoT story is no where near as bad in retrospect. I have enough alts for 1.5 viper sets so I'll have to start saving up gold for the rest.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

I think it'll be easier if I grind my fractal up to a high enough level to start getting ascended boxes at this rate.

To quote Captain Jack Sparrow, not impossible just improbable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have exotic gear + ascended trinkets on my engineer w/ rabid stats and i dunno if that would be good enough for tanking in the raid, but one day i'd like to maybe try.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Illuyankas posted:

The saddest Char

I want you to know. I laughed hard at this post.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i have exotic gear + ascended trinkets on my engineer w/ rabid stats and i dunno if that would be good enough for tanking in the raid, but one day i'd like to maybe try.

Yes it's good enough

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of raiding check the pve forum on sfd thanks!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Anyone else in GOON playing a character in their late 40s? At the rate I'm going I'll see 80 in under a month. Meantime, if anyone else is leveling up give Enigmatic Shmee a whisper if you see me online, generally late afternoons EST.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lordshmee posted:

Anyone else in GOON playing a character in their late 40s? At the rate I'm going I'll see 80 in under a month. Meantime, if anyone else is leveling up give Enigmatic Shmee a whisper if you see me online, generally late afternoons EST.

My Revenant is 30 now I also have 12x level tome boosters but I'm trying to save those till the bitter end. I'll try to catch you if I'm online Tyrunell (Tellysavalas.7049).

Libertine fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Libertine posted:

My Revenant is 30 now I also have 12x level tome boosters but I'm trying to save those till the bitter end. I'll try to catch you if I'm online Tyrunell (Tellysavalas.7089).

I actually like to use them early because the first few levels are just painful with the New Player Experience, AKA "Wait forever to actually get your buttons".

Just personal preference though, I suppose. I've also seen the starting zones just way too much.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Lordshmee posted:

Did you notice the level scaling? High level characters can participate and earn rewards anywhere, so there's no need for partners to be lowbies.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3z1znz/legendary_bugs_some_things_ive_done/

quote:

Hello all!
I've been working out a few bugs for the legendary collections, and just wanted to let you all know how things stand.

Assuming everything goes as scheduled, when Wintersday turns off (1/12) the following things will be in:
Dwarven Spell Trap: if you have collected all of the magics, but it hasn't "charged" you can double-click it to charge it
Temple of Dwayna: there are 2 collectibles for capturing the temple of Dwayna, Malchor's Notes (Bolt I) and Malchor's Demise (Twilight I). Defending the temple will also grant these items.
Magnificent Lens: Defending the "Gates of Arah" will also grant this collectible
Any collectible where you need to charge something at a place of power will now give priority to that over charging quartz. This wasn't really a blocker, but it was pretty annoying.

Here are some things that I'm working on, but didn't feel comfortable with my changes until I can get someone else to look at them. It has been a few years since I worked on events, so in the spirit of not messing up other people's work, I'd like to get another set of eyes. There is a chance that can happen on Monday, and if so we could see these as soon as 1/12, otherwise it will take a little longer:
Branded Siege Devourer: it will take me much longer to untangle this event chain and figure out why it is stalling, but what I'd like to do in the mean time is add the drop to the Giant Branded Devourer in Fields of Ruin. Unfortunately, as I was getting that worked out I noticed that event only starts on another event failing. I'm reworking the chain slightly, but I need someone else to double-check and make sure I'm not breaking something else.
Hope IV: Risen Crystalline Phial: what I'm trying to do is make the wraith spawn more reliably, and without having to stall the event for a long time. Again, I just need a second set of eyes to make sure I'm not introducing new bugs.

As always, please let me know if you have other issues you've found that are blocking your progress. Happy New Year!

and no, it isn't on the official forums

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Im worried that the remainder of my Wintersday cheevos are going to require me to either spend a poo poo load of gold on consumables or beat the jumping puzzle 15 times once. :saddowns:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can't you just repeat the bell choir or Toypocalypse ones?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I found the jumping puzzle easy once I beat it a couple times and got the system down. Bonus that it is good money if you can do it fast.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

whydirt posted:

Can't you just repeat the bell choir or Toypocalypse ones?

Do they count at all? I counted all of the ones that are listed as 'Complete' and got 16, unless some of those ones aren't counting toward the total.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

do the jp 3 times then bell choir until you're done

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The infinite ones count toward the meta now (but only the first time you complete them).

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Getting back into this game and I even got a character slot for that new class. And put a Blood Legion Charr into it because I did that poo poo so long ago I forgot I did.

What's the new hotness right now for general PvE content?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

TheNabster posted:

Getting back into this game and I even got a character slot for that new class. And put a Blood Legion Charr into it because I did that poo poo so long ago I forgot I did.

Pretty much all of the new premium DLC specs are overpowered so that's a good place to start. A lot of the new mobs have CC, and using CC yourself is also useful in a lot of situations, so that is something to consider.

For revenant, you can't go wrong with Herald. Check metabattle.com for specific builds though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

TheNabster posted:

Shiro with Sword/Axe, all Berserker gear. Hammer for ranged and Staff for utility.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm getting the very distinct impression that hunters may suck and no one plays them end game, which is a bummer because I'm one of life's mmo hunters.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I'm getting the very distinct impression that hunters may suck and no one plays them end game, which is a bummer because I'm one of life's mmo hunters.

You mean rangers? The druid elite spec is arguably the best healer/support spec in the game. Haven't heard anything about DPS specs though.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Good rangers are fine, it's just that 99% of rangers just stand in the back shooting bow while a fat bear tanks for them

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Rangers are fun and good and you can do a lot with them.

That being said ranger 1h sword is really wonky. So if that puts you off the class use greatsword instead.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Rangers do not suck at all, just the many people who treat them like hunters suck.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I went for ranger because I played druid healer for years in wow and my hunter PvP battleground tactic was beastmaster with various spirit beasts - raining arrows on people who were clearly googling what the hell my pet was was a great source of joy in my life along with my BG warlock and I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

learnincurve posted:

Ranger is great. It's super easy to not die as a Ranger, even without Druid. Plus, you can use a greatsword like your on Ritalin.
For generic PvE, I use greatsword / axe+warhorn. I swap out with longbow when I want to stand far away and still kill things.
I use Devourers as my pets because I like my pets to stay out of melee.

• Locked thread