Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

reagan posted:

Great. I've tried the referral link in the OP but the site tells me that my account is not eligible.

Are you either -

a) A subscriber
b) Free to play/Preferred with a confirmed email address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

Are you either -

a) A subscriber
b) Free to play/Preferred with a confirmed email address?

B for now. I input my e-mail and checked the boxes for the marketing e-mails. I just made my account today, so perhaps that is the problem.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
We're around two short for tonight's operation (HM Dread Fortress), should anyone have forgotten that we're running tonight.

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure

Mercurius posted:

If you don't have any of the expansions I think you're basically stuck at 50 (might be higher by default now but you can't level past 60 without KOTFE) but if that's the case I'd recommend throwing $15 at the game for a one month sub (or doing the $20 for 2 months and some cash shop currency thing if it's still happening on Origin) since it'll permanently unlock all of the currently available expansions when your sub runs out. If you pick up the Origin deal now you'll also get Chapter 10 of the newest expansion when it's available in February.

I'm in the same boat, I just decided to pick this up again after getting bored with raiding at launch. Are you saying the two old expansions and the new one are permanently unlocked with a one month subscription? I'm trying to find this stuff on the account site, it looks like I have to purchase Shadow of Revan, but would get KOTFE with the subscription? Is the Hutt Cartel free?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanatos Mazus posted:

I'm in the same boat, I just decided to pick this up again after getting bored with raiding at launch. Are you saying the two old expansions and the new one are permanently unlocked with a one month subscription? I'm trying to find this stuff on the account site, it looks like I have to purchase Shadow of Revan, but would get KOTFE with the subscription? Is the Hutt Cartel free?

You get everything released up until now for free when you sub for a month, and keep it. When new chapters are released starting in February, you have to sub to get those.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If you plan to Sub tho Sub Now to get the HK companion back or whatever.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I think the refer-a-friend thing might be disabled right now? I remember seeing some griping on the official forums about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

I think the refer-a-friend thing might be disabled right now? I remember seeing some griping on the official forums about it.

It's back up. The theory (though BW never said officially) is that people were using it to help launder credits with the crystal exploit.

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure

Medullah posted:

You get everything released up until now for free when you sub for a month, and keep it. When new chapters are released starting in February, you have to sub to get those.

Dexo posted:

If you plan to Sub tho Sub Now to get the HK companion back or whatever.

Thanks guys :) I got a one month sub, and I used the referral link in first post. Time to figure out what I want to do~

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanatos Mazus posted:

Thanks guys :) I got a one month sub, and I used the referral link in first post. Time to figure out what I want to do~

If you enjoy the game, stay a sub. I really don't think it's a playable game as free to play. MAYBE if you just want to see the 8 original storylines. But if you want to do anything MMO f2p sucks.

If you go on Amazon there's a bundle deal, search KOTFE bundle, $40 for 3 months sub and a handful of cartel coins. That'll get you the next two or three KOTFE chapters and you can go from there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
For a friend who doesn't want to sub, what exactly are the things you are missing that you can and can't get with cartel coins? I'm trying to figure where the break even point is for this guy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You can't do KotFE without Subbing so if you want something to do outside of like 50 then yeah.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

If you enjoy the game, stay a sub. I really don't think it's a playable game as free to play. MAYBE if you just want to see the 8 original storylines. But if you want to do anything MMO f2p sucks.

If you go on Amazon there's a bundle deal, search KOTFE bundle, $40 for 3 months sub and a handful of cartel coins. That'll get you the next two or three KOTFE chapters and you can go from there.

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased the Amazon package, should help to keep me entertained for a few weeks. The referral link worked after I subscribed.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Will subbing for a month to do KotFE be worth 15 dollars of entertainment? Also do I get a 2nd free lvl 60 token for subbing if I used the free one they gave out to lure people back in?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Kuai posted:

Will subbing for a month to do KotFE be worth 15 dollars of entertainment? Also do I get a 2nd free lvl 60 token for subbing if I used the free one they gave out to lure people back in?

You do not get another 60 token. They can be bought for 2000 cartel coins ingame however.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kuai posted:

You're asking a thread of people who regularly play the game, so yeah, it's worth it.

If you're only looking to play KOTFE and none of the other content, you may want to wait until it's completed in August if you only plan on subbing for one month, since you won't get any of the February-August content as Preferred.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Quick newbie class selection question:

I'd like to play a healer as it is the role i enjoy the most in more traditional MMOs (e.g. WoW), because in those games a healer is actually needed when doing group content. Not enjoyment in the "haha i am the primadonna healer that will quit the group if i don't get things my way" type of enjoyment but more of a "constantly busy keeping people alive and if i screw up they die" thing

I have done a few groups (flashpoints) in SWTOR, as a healer and it doesn't really seem that my healing is all that necessary. It seems like if i had just done damage instead enemies would have died faster thus the group not needing healing.
I have also read that for singleplayer healing from companions is more than sufficient.
Is it fair to say that healers are not really required in SWTOR? (disregarding raids or pvp as i have zero interest in those)
If i am going to keep feeling as "useless" as i have been in the groups so far i will pick another archetype to play before i invest more time into this game.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 4, 2016

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

I'd like to play a healer as it is the role i enjoy the most in more traditional MMOs (e.g. WoW), because in those games a healer is actually needed when doing group content. Not enjoyment in the "haha i am the primadonna healer that will quit the group if i don't get things my way" type of enjoyment but more of a "constantly busy keeping people alive and if i screw up they die" thing

I have done a few groups (flashpoints) in SWTOR, as a healer and it doesn't really seem that my healing is all that necessary. It seems like if i had just done damage instead enemies would have died faster thus the group not needing healing.
I have also read that for singleplayer healing from companions is more than sufficient.
Is it fair to say that healers are not really required in SWTOR? (disregarding raids or pvp as i have zero interest in those)
If i am going to keep feeling as "useless" as i have been in the groups so far i will pick another archetype to play before i invest more time into this game.

Healers are not required for singleplayer and/or Tactical flashpoints, though I'd argue are often supremely useful in the latter. "Proper" PvE doesn't really begin in this game until Hard mode flashpoints at the earliest, by my understanding. I know I haven't experienced any of it yet, anyway, and I've completed the 1-50 story and done a few tacticals.

Saying that, it really is a cointoss going healer for tacticals because some of the DPS are loving awful and just mash 1 until someone else kills the boss or whatever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, as the game switched to more of a singleplayer focused game they made the normal Flashpoints tactical flashpoints and those are doable with 4 dps.

Don't really have to heal til level 50 and you unlock the HMs

Even then HM Flashpoints are useless so you probably won't be healing til you get to Story mode raids.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don't think you're exactly weighing your group down as a healer either, though. You can still do decent damage in heal spec and just toss out the occasional heal where it's needed. The point of the tactical flashpoints is to make it easier to play whatever the hell you want!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I don't think you're exactly weighing your group down as a healer either, though. You can still do decent damage in heal spec and just toss out the occasional heal where it's needed. The point of the tactical flashpoints is to make it easier to play whatever the hell you want!

I love when a healer is in a tactical group because you don't have to recharge after every single fight. Sure ones not needed, but it makes things a lot easier. There are some fights that even with the healing stations are a challenge (desert boss in Core Meltdown, Mandolrian couple in Blood Hunt)

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
Hooray back in TNG! Hopefully we can get some group content going as it's been a year or more since I last traipsed through the galaxy with Sith-goons!

I should probably get a Stronghold at some point too. I've never even bothered to completed the Intro to Strongholds tutorial mission :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DJDace posted:

Hooray back in TNG! Hopefully we can get some group content going as it's been a year or more since I last traipsed through the galaxy with Sith-goons!

I should probably get a Stronghold at some point too. I've never even bothered to completed the Intro to Strongholds tutorial mission :)

Doing the intro-to-strongholds mission can get you two levels if you're in the teens.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone know if we got in the top 10? We slipped from 5th to 9th last night, and I forgot to check this morning.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Does anyone know if we got in the top 10? We slipped from 5th to 9th last night, and I forgot to check this morning.

Finished at #7.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Iron Tusk posted:

Finished at #7.

Whew. I'm actually out of town the next few days unexpectedly, Arsit or Oedzi, can one of you set an nvasion tomorrow? Make sure it has a warzone bonus since a lot of our conquest people are doing a lot of PvP.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Good job on getting top 10 last week, guys. Let's do it again.

Related, I've noticed more than a few goons in-game not knowing what conquest is. Any chance we could have one of you more veteran players do a small write-up/how-to on the subject?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Good job on getting top 10 last week, guys. Let's do it again.

Related, I've noticed more than a few goons in-game not knowing what conquest is. Any chance we could have one of you more veteran players do a small write-up/how-to on the subject?

Conquest is really simple. Every week there is a new conquest target set (you can see them here as well as a detailed write up: http://dulfy.net/2014/08/07/swtor-planetary-conquests-guide/ )

Each player has a personal goal for each week to get rewards. (Jawa junk to exchange for crafting mats, XP, credits and a high level crafting mat used in near end game crafting). That goal usually is 20k conquest points.

You get conquest point by participating in conquest activities. To see what is available as conquest activities, go into your quest log (default L) and then the conquest tab. It's a mix of doing flashpoints, PVP, crafting specific things, killing mobs on some planets, doing Operations, etc. You'll see that there are some activities that say things like "Alderann x2" under them. This means that, for that week, having our guild ship targeting a specific planet gets you a bonus to conquest points for that acitvity.

You also get a bonus to your conquest points by having multiple, highly decorated, strongholds - they don't have to look nice, they just have to be as full of crap as possible.

All conquest points accumulated by build members get added to the guild's total. IF the guild places in the top 10 of total points (across our server) then you'll also get some more XP, credits and an item that can them be given to the guild and will be used to improve the guild ship. These are called encryptions. It takes 50 encryptions to get anywhere, so the more people that do conquest, the faster we potentially (if we place top 10) improve the guild ship.

It's a good source of credits and XP and crafting mats so it's worthwile to do even if you don't care about having a fancy guild ship.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 4, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Few corrections to what Hulk said, not quoting as it's a pain on mobile.

Planetary invasion doesn't require our ship to be in orbit of the invaded planet. Common misconception there. Our guild ship is at Ziost and has been for a while just for quick travel there.

Also, Conquest is by server. The server names it shows in the list are related to the server mergers when target servers had guild name conflicts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have a conquest-related question. There are things like "complete a random warzone 0/1" that show up on the conquest tab for me, but they continue to say 0/1 after I complete a random warzone. Am I doing it wrong?

One more question: are conquest points character-specific or legacy-specific? Am I going to be wasting my time if I do the appropriate set of heroics on two characters?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

I have a conquest-related question. There are things like "complete a random warzone 0/1" that show up on the conquest tab for me, but they continue to say 0/1 after I complete a random warzone. Am I doing it wrong?

One more question: are conquest points character-specific or legacy-specific? Am I going to be wasting my time if I do the appropriate set of heroics on two characters?

Some are repeatable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Points are character wide and some events are repeatable (which is why they show 0/1). Look at the list of consist targets and it will tell you if it's repeatable. If it's not, you can only get those points on one character in your legacy.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

I love when a healer is in a tactical group because you don't have to recharge after every single fight. Sure ones not needed, but it makes things a lot easier. There are some fights that even with the healing stations are a challenge (desert boss in Core Meltdown, Mandolrian couple in Blood Hunt)

I'm one of those assholes that does not accept a queue for a tactical without a healer in it.

They just aren't fun, and rolling the dice on whether or not your group is going to take forever to finish because they're idiots isn't fun.

I'd much rather see a 3-man tactical mode with a forced healing companion if anything instead of forcing 4 DPS to run through a thing.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Few corrections to what Hulk said, not quoting as it's a pain on mobile.

Planetary invasion doesn't require our ship to be in orbit of the invaded planet. Common misconception there. Our guild ship is at Ziost and has been for a while just for quick travel there.

Also, Conquest is by server. The server names it shows in the list are related to the server mergers when target servers had guild name conflicts.

Thanks, edited my post.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
Last night we had a group of 4 people doing heroics/PvP for 6k+ guild conquest per quest/won match. It is real efficient and Real Fun!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Whew. I'm actually out of town the next few days unexpectedly, Arsit or Oedzi, can one of you set an nvasion tomorrow? Make sure it has a warzone bonus since a lot of our conquest people are doing a lot of PvP.

I'll try to set something before work tomorrow. I also need to check on our framework situation. We're bound to have enough for another ship unlock or two.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Last night we had a group of 4 people doing heroics/PvP for 6k+ guild conquest per quest/won match. It is real efficient and Real Fun!

Seconded. Shooting jerks with lightning for fun and profit!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I'll try to set something before work tomorrow. I also need to check on our framework situation. We're bound to have enough for another ship unlock or two.

Last week over 20 people hit conquest so as long as people deposit the encryption were should have a bunch more.

Also, since we're not being successful in putting together raid groups you should put major back down to 10k limit on repairs. We have people using guild funds for repair that I've never seen raid once

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Last week over 20 people hit conquest so as long as people deposit the encryption were should have a bunch more.

Also, since we're not being successful in putting together raid groups you should put major back down to 10k limit on repairs. We have people using guild funds for repair that I've never seen raid once

E: Nevermind. Can't count weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm down for any story mode dungeon runs. I ran Black Talon twice last night. Weird how you can't run it past level 15.

One quick question. Are the starting planet heroics on the weekly rotation list?

• Locked thread