Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deftest posted:

Couldn't they at least have been gates? It's oath of the GATEwatch, isn't it?

All I'm saying is, I have an awful lot of promo Maze's Ends

Why isn't Sea Gate Wreckage a gate honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Lol those new lands are loving garbage

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean they're just functional reprints of lands that were played a long time ago. Not sure what they're doing here though, guess they just wanted some more fixing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean they're just functional reprints of lands that were played a long time ago. Not sure what they're doing here though, guess they just wanted some more fixing.

The article says that they couldn't reprint Shivan Volcano anymore, so they decided to make functional reprints with generic names that they plan to insert at uncommon/common in a ton of different sets for limited fixing.

What I don't really understand is why they couldn't use the life-gain fixing cycle from Khans of Tarkir (that all have generic names) to make it more palatable that these are uncommon (I mean the KTK ones were commons to begin with and strictly better).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

The article says that they couldn't reprint Shivan Volcano anymore, so they decided to make functional reprints with generic names that they plan to insert at uncommon/common in a ton of different sets for limited fixing.

Urborg Volcano, yeah.

And Elfhame Palace would be a mild flavor miss too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fixing for drafting

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

People are bound to notice that Dark Petition can instantly get you and cast rear end in a top hat 1-of sideboard options like Drown in Exile, Virulent Plague, Infinite Obliteration, Ruinous Path, etc.

Drown in Exile isn't nearly as bad as Kozilek's Return is for tokens, I'd think. Instant speed Pyroclasm is playable even if the second clause is never relevant.

Obviously they're really bad for the tokens deck, but I wonder how much Drown/Kozilek's Return can be played around when you have Gideon surviving an an immediate ultimate and Nissa or Retreat+fetchland pumping your dudes.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The tokens deck seems pretty reasonable in the face of board wipes as long as Secure the Wastes is in standard.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

What I don't really understand is why they couldn't use the life-gain fixing cycle from Khans of Tarkir (that all have generic names) to make it more palatable that these are uncommon (I mean the KTK ones were commons to begin with and strictly better).

They could have used the original Life-gain lands from Zendikar too

These lands were gonna get printed eventually, just wish it hadn't been at uncommon, thats my only real gripe about them

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zendikar had a lot of really good spell lands and life gain lands kicking around for limited and they really should have considered bringing some back

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think it's just a limited consideration, it's not a wedge set like Khans so doesn't need the level of fixing that was there, so uncommon seems right in that sense IMO. The Khans ones at uncommon would have been fine though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

They could have used the original Life-gain lands from Zendikar too

These lands were gonna get printed eventually, just wish it hadn't been at uncommon, thats my only real gripe about them

Look creative made that impossible because everyone knows that Akoum, Jwar Isle, et al can't have Refuges up any more :shepface:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Lol those new lands are loving garbage

The funny part is that with the KTK block Fetches and life gain lands rotating out, these garbage lands will almost definitely be played in standard.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it's just a limited consideration, it's not a wedge set like Khans so doesn't need the level of fixing that was there, so uncommon seems right in that sense IMO. The Khans ones at uncommon would have been fine though.

Yeah, uncommon makes sense for a small set which doesn't want to empower that much fixing. They may have also decided on not using the lifegain ones due it maybe interacting poorly in testing with draft decisions for the WB lifegain deck (if that still even ends up being a thing).

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
When Oath drops in a couple weeks what leaves?

Just Khans or does Fate and Dragons go w/it?

Or nothing?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Didn't see this here, the Reddit exclusive spoiler:

http://imgur.com/uVcdchJ

{2}{W}
Creature — Eldrazi (Rare)
Devoid (this card has no color.)
{2}{C}: Exile another target creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control. ({C} represents colorless mana.)
3/3

So a white Eldrazi. Interesting effectm to nip it in the bud, stuff like Ulamog and the processors don't have ETBs, but triggers on casting.

Edit: Nothing rotates for Oath, next rotation is Shadows over Innistrad.

Edit again: This interferes with flip walkers, kills tokens and bounces Rhino for the next 3 months.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

The funny part is that with the KTK block Fetches and life gain lands rotating out, these garbage lands will almost definitely be played in standard.

The original cycle was played in standard (Salt Marsh as a 4 of in 'tog in 2002) so they'd come from a strong pedigree.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

{2}{W}
{2}{C}: Exile another target creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control. ({C} represents colorless mana.)
3/3

So a white Eldrazi. Interesting effectm to nip it in the bud, stuff like Ulamog and the processors don't have ETBs, but triggers on casting.

Edit again: This interferes with flip walkers, kills tokens and bounces Rhino for the next 3 months.

Thats a really cool and versatile card

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's a white eldrazi! I never thought I would see the day!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

{2}{W}
3/3

Too bad it doesn't exile until end of turn, would have hilarious synergy with processors.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

dragon enthusiast posted:

Too bad it doesn't exile until end of turn, would have hilarious synergy with processors.

Something I spotted that's cute is that it can be fetched by Sun Titan, who the Displacer can then bounce to grab more freebies.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Rosewater's response was to get confused and claim he thought it was in the set. What you are saying seems like the actual answer.

But Scry is in.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Thats a really cool and versatile card

It's loving broken. Bye bye hangarbacks forever and hello seige rhinos bouncing 3 times a turn late game. It also allows you to check spot removal by bouncing your guys.

I'm buying all of them.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

When Oath drops in a couple weeks what leaves?

Just Khans or does Fate and Dragons go w/it?

Or nothing?

No changes with Oath. When Shadows over Innistrad comes out, Khans and Fate Reforged leave. When the next large set comes out, Dragons and Origins rotates out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's loving broken. Bye bye hangarbacks forever and hello seige rhinos bouncing 3 times a turn late game. It also allows you to check spot removal by bouncing your guys.

I'm buying all of them.

6 mana for the first time you use that effect is a ton... It also doesn't protect itself. I don't think it gets there in standard.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Give us another aggressive 2-drop Eldrazi, wizards! :argh:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

BizarroAzrael posted:

{2}{W}
3/3

This is a good card. I don't think it quite works in the Modern BW Eldrazi deck (no etb effect, 3 toughness) but it's an option to run over lingering souls. Without Lingering Souls you have the freedom to run Rest in Peace main.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

Look creative made that impossible because everyone knows that Akoum, Jwar Isle, et al can't have Refuges up any more :shepface:

actually I legit think some of those places got overrun by eldrazi hordes

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sick combo with Brood Monitor

mcmagic posted:

There will still be painlands, manlands and BFZ lands, and probably some new ones in SoI.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

It's a white eldrazi! I never thought I would see the day!

actually its colorless :smugwizard:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Zoness posted:

Why isn't Sea Gate Wreckage a gate honestly.

Because it's wrecked, duh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

6 mana for the first time you use that effect is a ton... It also doesn't protect itself. I don't think it gets there in standard.

It kills hangarback walkers though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Zendikar had a lot of really good spell lands and life gain lands kicking around for limited and they really should have considered bringing some back
They did a bunch of spell lands in BFZ.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm hoping for some sort of Abzan CoCo deck with the Displacer.

Strangler seems good in it. (Yes I realize you can't process in the middle of Displacer's ability)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

You are out of your mind. Abzan will jam 4 of these day 1. 6 mana is nothing in this standard.

Bouncing Nissa every turn
Bouncing seige rhino
Bouncing other people's counter creatures and tokens
Bouncing your Jace for multiple draw triggers

It's an easily abused card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It kills hangarback walkers though

It's not that widely played anymore (and not a good enough reason regardless, I think)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They did a bunch of spell lands in BFZ.

I think you're underestimating how much I like to draft lands

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Bouncing your Jace for multiple draw triggers

It's an easily abused card.
That doesn't work at all

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

odiv posted:

I'm hoping for some sort of Abzan CoCo deck with the Displacer.

Strangler seems good in it. (Yes I realize you can't process in the middle of Displacer's ability)

Huh. I wonder why Stranger gets an ETB when the big processors have "on cast"? Just a power level thing?

Also embarrassed to not notice that after playing BW Eldrazi online all weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

That doesn't work at all

Yeah I didn't see the tapped line. It doesn't work. The other ones are valid.

• Locked thread