Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Since I got my PS4 a couple months back, I've been trying to catch up on the backlog of games I missed since it was released.

For those who have played both, which game is shorter: Witcher 3 or Fallout 4? I'm trying to decide which to play next, will probably pick whatever's shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

qbert posted:

Since I got my PS4 a couple months back, I've been trying to catch up on the backlog of games I missed since it was released.

For those who have played both, which game is shorter: Witcher 3 or Fallout 4? I'm trying to decide which to play next, will probably pick whatever's shorter.

Shorter is hard to quantify with these games. If you bumrush the main plot? Probably Fallout.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think I spent less time in fallout 4 than I did the witcher

the world map is certainly smaller at the very least

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fallout 4 has a pretty densely packed map but as far as actual quests go it's probably shorter than the Witcher 3. Fallout 4 had a dumb story I didn't care about so most of my play time was wandering around the map hoarding trash and trying to find cool locations. The Witcher 3 has so many loving side quests and main quests but I think you can actually finish in like 15-20 hours if you just want to stick to the main quest.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
PSN picks the worst time to do maintenance

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

grrarg posted:

Wait for a sale. I was dumb and bought into the hype around the Rebel Galaxy PC release. It is shallow and repetitive. No skill is required. Fights all play the same and come down to whether you have grinded enough to properly upgrade your ship. The only real choice is whether you grind randomly generated combat missions or randomly generated trade missions. If you choose to grind trade, you can cut some of the grind by breaking the economy by outfitting your ship to be as fast as possible and doing trade delivery missions in the hardest sector.
Thanks for posting your thoughts. It just looks so cool. I'm hoping it launches at $20 with the standard PS+ discount to drop it to like $16-17. I'd be okay with paying that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently the PC version of Rebel Galaxy lets you set custom music on various triggers like going in to hyperspace or entering a space-port or what have you. That's the only feature I've heard that actually sounds really cool to me and I highly doubt it'll be a thing on PS4 :/

Like drat if I can't set the theme to Cowboy Bebop to play whenever I get into a fight then what's even the point.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!

morallyobjected posted:

PSN picks the worst time to do maintenance

They're not doing maintenance, looks like this is a larger issue.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/631388/PSN-Down-PS4-offline-Sony-why-is-PSN-down-PlayStation-Network

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Shorter is hard to quantify with these games. If you bumrush the main plot? Probably Fallout.

I generally try to 100%/Platinum stuff, if that's any help. For instance, I just 100% Far Cry 4, which as it turns out, was pointless.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fallout is way easier to platinum because the trophies themselves are easier to get than the ones in the witcher

you will not legitimately 100% either game unless you are a crazy person with hundreds of hours to spare tho

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Witcher has one of those main stories where you think you must be near the end but there's still another 40 hours left. But somehow that's a good thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

qbert posted:

I generally try to 100%/Platinum stuff, if that's any help. For instance, I just 100% Far Cry 4, which as it turns out, was pointless.

I have platinums for both Fallout 4 and Witcher 3. Witcher 3 took me roughly 260 hours because I wanted to do everything in the game world, Fallout 4 took decidedly less. Witcher is a better game though so it might be better to do that one instead.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

qbert posted:

Those are pretty different measures. Platinuming Witcher 3 is relatively painless if you enjoy doing sidequests anyways, but 100%ing it involves sailing around Skellige for hours and hours diving for worthless items.

I'm playing through Dragon Age: Inquisition right now and it cured me of my "get everything" mentality really fast.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Platiniuming stuff is no way to go through life.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Those are pretty different measures. Platinuming Witcher 3 is relatively painless if you enjoy doing sidequests anyways, but 100%ing it involves sailing around Skellige for hours and hours diving for worthless items.

I'm playing through Dragon Age: Inquisition right now and it cured me of my "get everything" mentality really fast.

I should probably clarify. Often I'll go for the Platinum, but once I've done that, if 100% is close by, I might end up doing that too. Obviously, for Bethesda games like Skyrim/Fallout, I have no desire to get everything. And although I believe I did end up getting all the achievements in Witcher 2 (played it on the 360), I most likely didn't 100% it (not that I even remember what that would entail).

That said, thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably play Fallout next, then Witcher. Or maybe I'll play one of the Telltale games I also have on backlog, since I could bang those out quick.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

qbert posted:

I should probably clarify. Often I'll go for the Platinum, but once I've done that, if 100% is close by, I might end up doing that too. Obviously, for Bethesda games like Skyrim/Fallout, I have no desire to get everything. And although I believe I did end up getting all the achievements in Witcher 2 (played it on the 360), I most likely didn't 100% it (not that I even remember what that would entail).

That said, thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably play Fallout next, then Witcher. Or maybe I'll play one of the Telltale games I also have on backlog, since I could bang those out quick.

Someone in this thread earlier was saying that the Telltale Borderlands games were the best Telltale episodes outside Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us so that might be a good place to start.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm most of the way through it and it is very good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's hard to reconcile the two opposing concepts of borderlands and good story in my mind

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Someone in this thread earlier was saying that the Telltale Borderlands games were the best Telltale episodes outside Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us so that might be a good place to start.

Nice. I've played TWD and TWAU already and picked up Borderlands and Game of Thrones recently because they were on sale on PSN for dirt cheap.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's hard to reconcile the two opposing concepts of borderlands and good story in my mind

A Borderlands story not written by Gearbox.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

katkillad2 posted:

Ziggurat is a ton of fun, are there secret doors or anything like that? I've been playing on easy because normal is a kick in the dick.

Yeah there are. I had one revealed to me after finding one of the god offering rooms. It took about 5 seconds of shooting the wall to break it open so they'll be hard to find randomly.

WiiFitForWindows8
Oct 14, 2013
This image has so much detail, and a lot of it is subtle enough that I have to appreciate shitposting this good:

Warning: offensive to anyone actually invested in being a console warrior

My favorite parts are Cerny's creepy as gently caress face, and the fact that the PC Master Race has "gamergate" written on his hat. You can bet it caused a shrieking temper tantrum in the thread it was originally posted.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PantsBandit posted:

Apparently the PC version of Rebel Galaxy lets you set custom music on various triggers like going in to hyperspace or entering a space-port or what have you. That's the only feature I've heard that actually sounds really cool to me and I highly doubt it'll be a thing on PS4 :/

Like drat if I can't set the theme to Cowboy Bebop to play whenever I get into a fight then what's even the point.

Not exactly on triggers, it has like 4 categories (title screen, in space, in port, in battle) and you can assign a custom folder of mp3s for each of those categories to override (or append to) the default song list for those 4 categories. Technically there'd be no reason that couldn't exist on the ps4 I wouldn't think. I've got no music on my ps4 atm, but I seem to recall being able to make folders of songs on the ps3 and play them in gran turismo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Azhais posted:

Not exactly on triggers, it has like 4 categories (title screen, in space, in port, in battle) and you can assign a custom folder of mp3s for each of those categories to override (or append to) the default song list for those 4 categories. Technically there'd be no reason that couldn't exist on the ps4 I wouldn't think. I've got no music on my ps4 atm, but I seem to recall being able to make folders of songs on the ps3 and play them in gran turismo.

I make that assumption based on the fact that custom soundtracks in MGSV were PC only. Who knows though.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
sony wants you to pay for spotify probably

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Spotify was like 99 cents for 3 months or something for Black Friday... totally worth it since you can apparently just keep renewing at that rate, haha.

Sucks for anyone paying full price, though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I may be retarded, but I got the Seagate 2tb hard drive that everyone was raving about and it does fit inside the playstation but the connectors are wrong. Am I supposed to remove the outer cover of the hard drive and just put in the board, or am I missing something?

E. Found a different guide, apparently I do need to crack it open, disregard cocks all that

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 4, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fuzz posted:

Spotify was like 99 cents for 3 months or something for Black Friday... totally worth it since you can apparently just keep renewing at that rate, haha.

Sucks for anyone paying full price, though.

That sale happens really frequently actually.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What are the percentages listed next to trophies you have?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

hot sauce posted:

What are the percentages listed next to trophies you have?

Rarity, they signify the percentage of how many people who played the game got that trophy.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am not a borderlands fan nor am i a telltale games fan but let me tell you all that Tales from the Borderlands is god drat amazing.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
If I want to pick up Witcher 3, is there any reason to wait for a possible GOTY edition that includes some of the DLC? Or is that not a thing that is likely to happen

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

scribe jones posted:

If I want to pick up Witcher 3, is there any reason to wait for a possible GOTY edition that includes some of the DLC? Or is that not a thing that is likely to happen
Going by experience, it's pretty well inevitable at some point, to kickstart sales after the game stales. You may be waiting a while, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

scribe jones posted:

they already have the first one of those for heart of stone and they are going to do another after the new dlc this year i think i've seen the boxart already somewhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

scribe jones posted:

I would be shocked if there weren't one, tho you'll be waiting a while since the second piece of dlc isn't due for a while. it's an incredible game, but I do find it hard going back to it for the dlc after a long break, so you might be best off to at least wait until all the dlc is out

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm probably among the poorest and thrifty minded people on this forum and even I say just buy Witcher 3. It's so good and so huge that by the time some other GOTY edition rolls around you'll still have literally hundreds of hours of good, entertaining content in the base game alone. There isn't a single singleplayer game I can think of that has that much good, varied, effort filled content.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
My flatmate got the new Need For Speed game a few days ago, and insisted I try it out. Turns out that it doesn't believe in offline gaming, so if the servers are down you're poo poo out of luck. It's nice that they included an error that says "You must be connected to the Internet to use the online features of this game" which apparently includes everything. Thanks EA.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OxMan posted:

I'm probably among the poorest and thrifty minded people on this forum and even I say just buy Witcher 3. It's so good and so huge that by the time some other GOTY edition rolls around you'll still have literally hundreds of hours of good, entertaining content in the base game alone. There isn't a single singleplayer game I can think of that has that much good, varied, effort filled content.

I love the witcher 3, but I could not get into the dlc at all. not because it's bad, but because it's a monolithic game and just dropping back into end game level content is rough and feels weird

honestly I think it's better to wait for the final piece of dlc so you can play it all together at the same time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

I love the witcher 3, but I could not get into the dlc at all. not because it's bad, but because it's a monolithic game and just dropping back into end game level content is rough and feels weird

honestly I think it's better to wait for the final piece of dlc so you can play it all together at the same time

I did heart of stone as a stand alone campaign and it was good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't recall saying it was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I would be shocked if there weren't one, tho you'll be waiting a while since the second piece of dlc isn't due for a while. it's an incredible game, but I do find it hard going back to it for the dlc after a long break, so you might be best off to at least wait until all the dlc is out

Thanks. I'll probably wait because I still have a million goddamn hours of Fallout left to get through anyway

• Locked thread