Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah that's february too isn't it? february is going to be a good month for gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

RedMagus posted:

Go look up the blargSNES 1.3b version, I had to toss that on and completely delete the old one before it would load into my system. I suspect that most the emulators will be receiving updates in a month or two since the exploit is available again.

Yep found that, still not showing in home brew where did you put your folders?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

With the reliability of these recent "hax" that have been released, I'd strongly (strongly) caution anyone interested in getting into firmware modification within the next couple of weeks. I've had the various injection-based hacks fail as many times as they've succeeded, and if that's any indication of the quality of any new downgrade method(s), then you're really rolling the dice.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dang i need to play bravely default like soon

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 18, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

McFunkerson posted:

This made me excited as well until a Google search told me this was that only true for Europe and North America only had a generic "2016" date... Wtf is up with that?

wait what the hell

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

lets hang out posted:

wait what the hell

It's the price for getting Fire Emblem first and frankly, I'm glad.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
If this ends out working, as a result opening the door to easy backups on the 3DS let's just hope it doesn't kill sales like the DS or the PSP.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will the proper ending in BS require buying a cash shop potion?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Do I need to play Default before Second?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Olivil posted:

If this ends out working, as a result opening the door to easy backups on the 3DS let's just hope it doesn't kill sales like the DS or the PSP.

It won't. Unless you buy a Gateway actually getting :filez: is a complete pain in the dick. With Nu3DS it is even worse because games that require >9.5 FW have to be patched and even then installing game updates sucks unless you can get the emunand to run the latest os.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Olivil posted:

I think poor game library and umds being poo poo is what killed the psp

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do I need to play Default before Second?

In order to properly finish Second, you need to play Default from start to finish in its entirety four times over probably.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Bravely Second doesn't do the whole replay the game 4 times thing, so you don't have to worry about that there.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If they're doing some sort of save carry over from the first and expect me to suffer the loop nonsense I'm already irritated at the game. What does the data transfer grant?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Stats Chat is better than Homebrew Chat

Total Steps:

Play Time:
41 Titles / 237:15

1. Bravely Default - 38:13
2. Picross e - 24:59
3. Devil Survivor: Overclocked - 22:12
4. Super Mario 3D Land - 20:36
5. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies - 15:20
6. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 14:26
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy - 13:45
8. Streetpass Mii Plaza - 12:57
9. 999 - 12:28
10. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box - 10:53

I think Bravely Default is the only one of those games which I've actually finished. :( Mario 3D Land I just need to finish the final course. I had been working on DS:O, but then got distracted by Persona 3. I need to just pick a game and beat it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

flyboi posted:

If they're doing some sort of save carry over from the first and expect me to suffer the loop nonsense I'm already irritated at the game. What does the data transfer grant?

Just costumes. Nothing super vital to the game.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

Bravely Second doesn't do the whole replay the game 4 times thing, so you don't have to worry about that there.

That is good to hear. Bravely Default is actually a pretty decent game outside of that one major irritant.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't even have to downgrade to install CIA's right now, as long as they're legit. There's a program that will "inject" the CIA into any firmware now, no downgrade at all. Granted the success rate is 1%, but there's no bricking chance or anything from what we can see.

I tried it last night for four hours but couldn't get it to work, but people have had luck getting it to work instantly or after a few tries. I am dead fuckin set on getting a backup of my animal crossing though, ive been crying about it for months now so I will keep trying, but it's there if people own a legit version of the game and want to insert it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ernie. posted:

this is fixed now. i'm on a downgraded o3DS with a CFW installed. took a few attempts (4) to get going at first, but then no hiccups at all.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/ for full guide

Can anyone verify this on an n3ds?

I have a the Animal Crossing n3ds o. 9.8 and want to do this, but not if I am going to be on some gimped version of 9.2.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few n3DS have bricked from that, not worth it yet

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

A few n3DS have bricked from that, not worth it yet

I'm only jumpy because I can't tell if I'm supposed to be purchasing Ironfall asap or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Melmac posted:

I'm only jumpy because I can't tell if I'm supposed to be purchasing Ironfall asap or something.

You can get ironfall from the old shop downloader just using the regular hax, no need to worry about legit CIAs/downgrading yet.

Use browserhax to get into homebrew and install menuhax from there. If you want you can also get inronfall as an alternate entry point in the future.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andrast posted:

You can get ironfall from the old shop downloader just using the regular hax, no need to worry about legit CIAs/downgrading yet.

Explain to me the benefit of getting ironfall to to the ironhax?

Also explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

It's just an alternate entry point into homebrew if/when Nintendo fucks with the other methods at some point. You don't really need it if you already a hax installed and don't plan on updating the firmware of your 3DS but downloading it is free and it never hurts to have other options. Nintendo will also probably patch the ability to get ironfall away at some point so you should probably get it while you still can.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

The ship isn't real, it's just plywood sets.

Sorry.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The ship isn't real, it's just plywood sets.

Sorry.

Truly an excellent reference.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lemon Curdistan posted:

A bunch of people posted guides a few pages back, look for the bit where the new browserhax was first brought up last week.

I've got the homebrew running but I'm not sure which is the best SNES emulator... no guide for that. Any suggestions from people? I mainly wanna just play poo poo like Metal Warriors and Secret of Mana... maybe LttP for the billionth time. I'm on a Nu3DS, I'm told blargSNES is the way to go?

EDIT: I'd also worry about CFW since Nintendo may go scorched earth and ban Nintendo IDs and poo poo from the eShop, which is bad if you've ever bought anything off of there. (I have)

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

Use browserhax to get into homebrew and install menuhax from there. If you want you can also get inronfall as an alternate entry point in the future.

Thanks but how do I get it without updating? I'm on 9.8 and adding an NNID or accessing the eshop makes me update my n3ds,right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Melmac posted:

Thanks but how do I get it without updating? I'm on 9.8 and adding an NNID or accessing the eshop makes me update my n3ds,right?

If you aren't on the latest firmware you can't get it. That said, it probably isn't worth updating the firmware to get it.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The homebrew lets you access the eshop without updating.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I've got the homebrew running but I'm not sure which is the best SNES emulator... no guide for that. Any suggestions from people? I mainly wanna just play poo poo like Metal Warriors and Secret of Mana... maybe LttP for the billionth time. I'm on a Nu3DS, I'm told blargSNES is the way to go?

BlargSNES/CatSFC are the recommended ones last I heard, just pick the one with the best compatibility for the games you want.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, just get the current Retroarch nightlies here: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/

This is assuming that the current nightlies aren't broken (I haven't been keeping up with the current goings-on, the nightlies do occasionally break things). Use CatSFC for most SNES games, and PocketSNES or BlargSNES for things that aren't fast enough on CatSFC.

I think I've mentioned it in here but one big draw of emulation on the n3ds if you are a Sega fan is that Genesis games work perfectly in Genesis Plus DX, and the screen is the perfect size for 1:1 emulation. I've been playing Shadowrun off and on with my n3DS for the last month or so and it's been great.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played a game on the 3DS once

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I played a game on the 3DS once

Yeah but what emulator were you using/what version firmware/what hax

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Thank you to all the goons that recommended Steamworld Heist, I've been having a lot of fun with it and likely would have skipped it entirely were it not for all the goon praise.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fuzz posted:

EDIT: I'd also worry about CFW since Nintendo may go scorched earth and ban Nintendo IDs and poo poo from the eShop, which is bad if you've ever bought anything off of there. (I have)

that's really not how it works. Not only have they never done that, but a huge plus of CFW is that you can use emuNAND, which is basically a fancy way of saying you can run a virtual box of your 3DS. Separate NNIDs, separate purchase records, separate friend codes, et cetera.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't started yet, but why do you need to play four times? That's insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't started yet, but why do you need to play four times? That's insane.

If you mean Bravely Default:

you travel to alternate versions of the main world which have very very slightly different plots but the exact same dungeons and bosses with bigger stats. You can use your prior knowledge to skip plot things but still have to revisit the same 4 dungeons and bosses 4 times in a row. There are remixed versions of other bosses to fight if you're into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If you mean Bravely Default:

you travel to alternate versions of the main world which have very very slightly different plots but the exact same dungeons and bosses with bigger stats. You can use your prior knowledge to skip plot things but still have to revisit the same 4 dungeons and bosses 4 times in a row. There are remixed versions of other bosses to fight if you're into that.

Yeah, it's not as bad as "play the game four times" makes it sound but it's still a bunch of tedious bullshit, even if the boss battles are great.