Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Go in blind, if people give you poo poo for it, laugh at them. Fights are more fun if you figure poo poo out yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I use this personally for dungeon info.

My main hotbar for WAR is 1-2-3 for threat combo, 4-5-6 for Maim and its followups, 7 for Overpower, 8 for Tomahawk, 9 for Brutal Swing, 0 for Inner Beast, - for Mercy Stroke and = for Flash.

There's probably a more efficient one out there but it works for me.

Remember that you can add more hotbars to your UI. I have three hotbars setup on mine, so I can either Alt+X the abilities on bar 3 or quickly press it with my mouse if I need to.

You shouldn't NEED to use Provoke til endgame, so I personally have it on something like bar 3. There if I need to, but it won't get in my way otherwise.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 4, 2016

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

Is there a commonly accepted 'best' website for learning about dungeons?

I liked the FFXIV Wiki, basically I watched the Mizzteq guide conveniently linked on the page and had the page open when you're actually in the dungeon. Of course expect that if there's some kind of speed-up to be had by pulling more/ignoring mechanics it will now be done in 90% of the runs.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Stun as a extra hit generally works, depending on the mob/boss your facing. Most bosses can't be stunned so you'll be fine smacking them with a free hit.

I keep butchers combo on 1 2 3 and Maim / Eye / Path on Shift + 1 2 3 for easier button presses. Honestly just go with what works for you. I have most of my buffs on ALT + 1-0, with Defiance on F1, Infuriate on F2, Unchained on F3, and Deliverance on F4. It works for me and I see little reason to change it.

You'll get used to using cool downs when they come round. Just remember to try to keep Vengeance and Bloodbath together since it's free mitigation since every time a mob hits you, you'll be healed a little bit from it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

I just hit 49 on my WAR yesterday so I've got a few questions.

Is there a commonly accepted 'best' website for learning about dungeons? Pre-50 with goons or the occasional understand pug, I was able to have dungeons explained to me, but I'd like a heads up for future mechanics since I assume there's going to be some doozies coming my way. It wouldn't hurt to have some for the dungeons I've already done either, since I don't have everything memorized.

I'm torn between using my stun every time it comes up (FREE DPS) and waiting to use it for interrupts. I know the wisdom is in not saving cooldowns except in rare circumstances, but even some trash mobs have lovely AoEs. Plus my stun isn't a spectacular use of TP for the damage.

Lastly, can any older/wiser WARs share their hotbar setup? I'm on keyboard/mouse, and I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, but I'd rather not get into building more muscle memory for my haphazard setup. I'm not in the habit of using my cooldowns as often as I should as it is, and seeing how others have their buttons laid out would be helpful even for my GCD skills. My main threat combo is 1-2-3 but my maim combo is 1-6-9 which is probably not ideal to begin with, and I know the next 10 levels are going to throw some nice poo poo my way. I have to pick up provoke from GLA today or tomorrow and I'm not sure where to put it, since I hopefully won't need it often but I better know where it is when I DO need it.

For 4-player dungeons, you can honestly go in blind with a "hey, I'm new to this dungeon, give me a heads-up if there's anything I should know". There may be boss mechanics or trash pulling techniques you won't immediately figure out on your own, but if you say that up-front and then nobody bothers actually telling you about them, they lose any justification for bitching at you afterward for not knowing it.

Throw in basic skills like "get out of bad" and "pick up the adds" (and the latter may sometimes be optional if it turns out they die in like 2 hits) and other usual things like "keep everything pissed at you", "face things away from the group", "keep mobs in a pile in front-ish of you rather than 360-degrees surrounding you", and "don't wiggle any more than you have to".

For anything classified by the game as a "trial" or "raid", it may not be a bad idea to do a bit of homework in advance though (though still say you're new, just add that you've also watched a video). MTQCapture's guides on YouTube are pretty good, though bear in mind that as time goes on, some mechanics can just be ignored through overgearing.

As for your stun, on warrior bear in mind it's a. off-GCD and b. TP-free. It's valid to save it if there's something you really want to stun (knowing when this is, comes with experience with the particular encounter), and you don't want it to be on cooldown or the mob to be stun immune at the time. Otherwise though, it's free damage which costs neither a GCD nor any TP, and you should be using it on cooldown. For other tanks, DRK stun is similarly off-GCD and TP-free. PLD stun, however, is on-GCD and costs a bunch of TP, with the tradeoff that it has no cooldown so it can be useful in rare situations for extended stun-locking (but outside those situations it's much more garbage and is generally less useful between the TP drain and the fact that on-GCD means slower reaction time from you).

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies, guys :) I like the idea of binding my second combo to ctrl-1-2-3 and I just added a third bar so I need to assign keybinds there. I'm not sure how I missed that the stun is TP-free, aside from being an idiot, so I'll keep spamming it. I already do on bosses since they are assholes and can't be stunned but I liked not having to worry about playing ping-pong with myself at every danger zone from trash mobs. Maybe I'll just face-tank and piss off my healers :grin:

I agree that it can be more fun to go in blind but as a tank I am basically defacto Team Leader and I'd like to be good at game. A lovely DPS probably won't get me killed but as a poo poo tank I could gently caress everyone over.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

Maybe I'll just face-tank and piss off my healers :grin:

i'm sure this is at least partially sarcastic, but this is a real bad habit to get into because at some point aoes are just going to start loving executing you instead of tickling

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, ping-ponging out of AoEs before the marker/castbar go away, then back into place afterwards to keep the mobs as stationary as possible, are something you'll want to get used to continuing to do. (NB: it's worth sitting in any ground marker at least once, without any cooldowns up, to see how painful it is. Preferably when the healer's a friend of yours. Some are "OW MY FACE" and some are "that's an annoying status" and some are "oh, is that all?". For the last one in particular, go right ahead and sit in it to keep the mobs even more still.)

If anything, relying on a stun to get you out of having to move may sometimes backfire if you've got melee DPS going ham and the mob is stun immune but you didn't realize it yet. By the time you realize the stun didn't do anything, you may not have enough time to move.

Besides, assuming you dodge the mob's not hitting you during the windup or the animation for that anyway. Stunning it may just get it back to meleeing you faster. :v: Stun can still be useful for mitigation otherwise. You'll cut down on more incoming damage by stunning something that can't be manually dodged by you, such as a party-wide AoE, an AoE targeted at the squishies, or even just a mob that's in normal smacking-the-tank-in-melee mode.

Vil fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 4, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only time I can think of where stunning a boss in storymode dungeons is worthwhile is in Qarn. You want to stun the last boss out of Paralyze, and I'm not sure but I think Teratosaur can be stunned out of Mortal Ray.

Qarn's probably the least DF-friendly pre-50 dungeon though. So many elements that can mess up an uneducated group.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I don't think Mortal Ray can be stunned, but his bee buddies' Final Sting may be stunnable if your DPS can't be hosed to kill them fast enough (or at all).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Coincounter can be stunned as well.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

ApplesandOranges posted:

The only time I can think of where stunning a boss in storymode dungeons is worthwhile is in Qarn. You want to stun the last boss out of Paralyze, and I'm not sure but I think Teratosaur can be stunned out of Mortal Ray.

Qarn's probably the least DF-friendly pre-50 dungeon though. So many elements that can mess up an uneducated group.

The final boss in Qarn HM can be stunned out of the beam that mummifies a party member, and it helps to stun the Eruptions in the plume-plume-eruptions-plume cycle on Ifrit HM if newbies are having trouble staying alive.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

I don't think Mortal Ray can be stunned, but his bee buddies' Final Sting may be stunnable if your DPS can't be hosed to kill them fast enough (or at all).

It can, but the cast time is like half a second so it's pretty much never going to happen except by accident.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's also a pre-level 40 dungeon, so newbie PLDs don't have shield oath to mitigate being a bad tank.

Considering WARs and DRKs get Defiance and Grit respectively at 30, it's weird that PLDs get screwed out of this.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Qarn is what made me not quit this game.

If you can't hold threat on GLD before shield oath you're gonna have a bad time with this game at end game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Belzac posted:

Qarn is what made me not quit this game.

If you can't hold threat on GLD before shield oath you're gonna have a bad time with this game at end game.

It's not about me playing PLD in Qarn, it's about others playing it. It's entirely possible to hold threat as a PLD in Qarn, but when you get put into it in DF with a bad tank that doesn't know how to tab through enemies, then it makes for a very unpleasant experience.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

seiferguy posted:

It's not about me playing PLD in Qarn, it's about others playing it. It's entirely possible to hold threat as a PLD in Qarn, but when you get put into it in DF with a bad tank that doesn't know how to tab through enemies, then it makes for a very unpleasant experience.

As annoying as it is in Qarn, it's even more annoying to get that from a level 60 tank. I'm totally forgiving of poor AoE threat in baby dungeons and somewhat understanding in the 30s (though they really ought to be getting the idea by then), but it's downright ridiculous to be level 60 and still not know how to keep everything pissed at you.

For some reason they really want to be edgelord DPS I guess it very often seems to be DRKs who have this issue. Which is extra hilarious since DRK threat is so strong you basically never need to use your single-target threat combo in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Belzac posted:

You lose 90 potency from the blood positionals. You lose 80 from aoelian. DRG has 4 positionals while ninja has 3. The drg ones are used more. Ninja is the least reliant.

At launch didn't you have to move side to back over and over for even your BnB combo with DRG?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Aphrodite posted:

At launch didn't you have to move side to back over and over for even your BnB combo with DRG?

Not really. Heavy Thrust's damage buff would only apply if you landed it from the side. Impulse drive had a rear requirement for it to combo so if you missed the rear positional you couldn't continue the combo. At the time these were the only two positionals for DRG. Missing them was not an option so you had to hit them or keep restarting your rotation till you landed them. You would normally do them back to back so you had to land a side hit, then a back hit then your next 9 attacks you could do from wherever.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Vil posted:

As annoying as it is in Qarn, it's even more annoying to get that from a level 60 tank. I'm totally forgiving of poor AoE threat in baby dungeons and somewhat understanding in the 30s (though they really ought to be getting the idea by then), but it's downright ridiculous to be level 60 and still not know how to keep everything pissed at you.

For some reason they really want to be edgelord DPS I guess it very often seems to be DRKs who have this issue. Which is extra hilarious since DRK threat is so strong you basically never need to use your single-target threat combo in the first place.

I've met a surprising amount of 50+ tanks who I've pulled aggro from simply from dropping Bane and Shadow Flare. Which I guess is slightly better than pulling aggro on single targets through Energy Drain and Broil at least.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Attack my target please!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Vil posted:

I've set up a bare bones skinner box to teach my dog to press my overpower key to receive a treat and I think he's ready to takeover for my 50-60 content

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should change it so that tanks don't get tank stance until 50, to discourage them from being timid little weenies about it.

And healers should be forced to use cleric stance until 30.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They should change tank stance to CD rather than a toggle. Pop it at the start for some threat generation and then it's just another tank buster blocker.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

dromal phrenia posted:

I just hit 49 on my WAR yesterday so I've got a few questions.

Is there a commonly accepted 'best' website for learning about dungeons? Pre-50 with goons or the occasional understand pug, I was able to have dungeons explained to me, but I'd like a heads up for future mechanics since I assume there's going to be some doozies coming my way. It wouldn't hurt to have some for the dungeons I've already done either, since I don't have everything memorized.

I'm torn between using my stun every time it comes up (FREE DPS) and waiting to use it for interrupts. I know the wisdom is in not saving cooldowns except in rare circumstances, but even some trash mobs have lovely AoEs. Plus my stun isn't a spectacular use of TP for the damage.

Lastly, can any older/wiser WARs share their hotbar setup? I'm on keyboard/mouse, and I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, but I'd rather not get into building more muscle memory for my haphazard setup. I'm not in the habit of using my cooldowns as often as I should as it is, and seeing how others have their buttons laid out would be helpful even for my GCD skills. My main threat combo is 1-2-3 but my maim combo is 1-6-9 which is probably not ideal to begin with, and I know the next 10 levels are going to throw some nice poo poo my way. I have to pick up provoke from GLA today or tomorrow and I'm not sure where to put it, since I hopefully won't need it often but I better know where it is when I DO need it.

I keep the threat combo on 1-2-3, Maim/Storm's eye/Storm's Path on 4-5-6, Situational buttons and short cooldowns(overpower, stun, tomahawk, fracture, holmgang) mainly l live on the CTRL+number bar. Long/defensive cooldowns, cross class skills, and stances live on the shift bar. I don't like keeping a bunch of hotbars numbered past 7 for combat use (I keep sprint/mounts/ect over on that side though) because it's a pain to reach for those while also fighting and positioning yourself. I try to follow similar pattern on all my classes.

Granted my experience was primarily before the expansion. I'm looking to add a 4th ALT bar for the new skills showing up in the xpac. Have Bar one be core skills, 2 be tanking situationals, 3 be offense stance situationals, and bar 4 be stances and cooldowns.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm also new to this game, and looking into tanking as a warrior. I'm only in the 20s as a Maurader right now, and level 8 Gladiator, as well as 12 Pugilist and a few in Lancer. Also I immediately decided that every male Roegadyn needs a cheesy MST3K-style name, so I named mine Punch Rockgroin.

Anyway, I used to play a lot of WoW until my brother got me to make a guy on a european server (he lives in Germany). One of the big differences between this and WoW is how un-customizeable the UI is. Is there anyway to make tanking a little easier for myself with regards to seeing how much aggro I have on anything? Are there settings to display enmity on their nameplates or do I have to tab through a whole pack to see if everything is focused on me?

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Do people still only use the # keys for abilities with modifiers and not touch the letter keys around WASD (or ESDF you heathens)? So much more accessibility to more abilities without relying on ALT and CTL on top of Shift.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

This box tells you everything you've touched ever that is still alive. The symbol next to it represents how much it hates you. Red box means you're a tank good job. Orange upside down triangle means someone else just barely pulled it off you so you can probably just Overpower to get it back. Yellow triangle means you've hosed up big and you got to switch to that target to get it back. Grey circle means the healer healed you during a big pull and you're gonna have to type in chat not to Medica 2 while we're pulling.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tyberius posted:

Do people still only use the # keys for abilities with modifiers and not touch the letter keys around WASD (or ESDF you heathens)? So much more accessibility to more abilities without relying on ALT and CTL on top of Shift.

I do this, yeah. My most-used abilities are on 1-6 and S1-6. Then I use E, R, T, F, G, Q, R and Shift-variants thereof for the rest. My hands don't like hitting the ctrl key while WASDing, so I use ctrl 1-6 for infrequently used abilities.

It does mean I have to right click like a peasant if I ever want to focus target something, but it's worth it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tyberius posted:

I didn't even know you could rebind stuff to that until my static leader told me to do so when I showed him a picture of my hotbar and he was horrified. I was still clicking on everything other than 1-4 then :downs:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tyberius posted:

What is your pinky and thumb doing if not pressing CTL and ALT? I got a programmable mouse that adds another 24 keys to my right hand, I rarely need to go past 4 on my number keys using shift, alt and ctrl.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

A Moose posted:

I'm also new to this game, and looking into tanking as a warrior. I'm only in the 20s as a Maurader right now, and level 8 Gladiator, as well as 12 Pugilist and a few in Lancer. Also I immediately decided that every male Roegadyn needs a cheesy MST3K-style name, so I named mine Punch Rockgroin.

Welp I'm a Roe Warrior named Brawn Strongface so I'm pretty sure we either have to be noob friends or noob rivals

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only correct Maroeder name is Confused Botanist.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kitfox88 posted:

I didn't even know you could rebind stuff to that until my static leader told me to do so when I showed him a picture of my hotbar and he was horrified. I was still clicking on everything other than 1-4 then :downs:

It's perfectly fine to click your skills if that works well for you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Some days you just wanna die

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Gotta get light somehow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Triggered.

Also I had a healer bully a warrior into putting on fending in a a1n today.

Relic has really put a spot light on exactly how lovely the people who play this game are.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

Triggered.

Also I had a healer bully a warrior into putting on fending in a a1n today.

Relic has really put a spot light on exactly how lovely the people who play this game are.

Why didn't you defend him? I feel like you could shut down an idiot ffxiv healer quite easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Geeze, I'm getting vanilla WoW flashbacks here.

For those that are new, what's going on?

• Locked thread