Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I've loving loved plague doctors since I started playing again. Mine sit in rank 3, with both blight skills, the blight cure, and the damage buff for the front liners on long fights, and she is just a murderer

a science murderer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

no, only lepers, vestals, and crusaders cannot work with the abomination under any circumstances

everyone else no matter what can and will

ofc, it sucks that you lose access to the best healer and the arguably best front-liner, and a really strong position 2, but you know. whatever.

If they don't plan to do much rebalancing on Abom it's a perfectly acceptable tradeoff imo, and with his legendary trinket is probably amazing with dark run parties. I'm a pansy who never does dark runs though lol.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I've loving loved plague doctors since I started playing again. Mine sit in rank 3, with both blight skills, the blight cure, and the damage buff for the front liners on long fights, and she is just a murderer

a science murderer

She was so useless originally though. Blight used to suck so badly, and her heal didn't auto cure bleed/blight (it was like 75% at best iirc). Her backline AoEs were always cool and now they are useful! (well the stun was always useful, but there were other effective options).

Missed the "again" part of your sentence.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, it won't take long until Abominations get nerfed (and rightfully so). I just critted the Drowned Crew for 41 damage with my level 2 Abo - the DC has 100 HP : ) Granted, I did give him Dismas's head ( D: ), which I got after smashing the Collector. It boosts DMG immensely at the cost of some extra Stress damage - kinda like a better Berserker's Charm. The Collector's a swell guy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) I think I've got a handle on this one but I'll ask anyway: when do you use stuns, instead of trying to go for a kill sooner (e.g. a PD using stun gas instead of poo gas)?

you should stun basically whenever you don't think you can or don't need to kill the enemy that turn, imo

like, you should stun all enemies that have enough DOT that they'll die in 2 turns even if you don't deal damage to them any more, because that means that if the stun lands they're dead characters walking and thus literally completely ignorable

if you don't have enough damage to kill an enemy, stun it. unless it has crazy-high stun resist you mine as well because negating all damage they deal combined with a free round of damage on them is hugely powerful

realistically, just stun whenever you can. the only times i don't stun are when i can OTK them, they're gonna die from DOT their turn anyways, or they just got out of a stun since they get that massive stun res boost. but even then if they're the only enemy left I'll sometimes go for a stun because if it lands that's a free round of stress/healing and/or DOT landing

stuns. do it all the time

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Toxxupation posted:

Grave Robbers aren't really anything like Plague Doctors, btw

they're high-dps classes, probably the closest thing the game has to a "rogue" type that relies on heavy movement abilities

Grave Robbers are...interesting. I like using them, and they're fun, and their Lunge is a great battle-ending attack, but they're kind of impractical to use unless you have a team that relies on movers

You can get great mileage out of the GR by sticking her in the back and spamming throwing weapons (preferably Flashing Daggers), saving Lunge as an emergency nuke. She's a more offensively-focused alternative to the support classes that generally hang out in the back.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MacheteZombie posted:

She was so useless originally though. Blight used to suck so badly, and her heal didn't auto cure bleed/blight (it was like 75% at best iirc). Her backline AoEs were always cool and now they are useful! (well the stun was always useful, but there were other effective options).

Missed the "again" part of your sentence.

yeah i remember arguing that plague doctor was useless last year, mostly because DOT was so inconsistent and straight damage was so comparatively consistent that there was no point in running DOT comps. Now it's arguably reversed, with blight and bleed being super loving powerful

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

yeah i remember arguing that plague doctor was useless last year, mostly because DOT was so inconsistent and straight damage was so comparatively consistent that there was no point in running DOT comps. Now it's arguably reversed, with blight and bleed being super loving powerful

DOT has been instrumental for me in taking down dodgy asswipes like Necromancer and Prophet. Plague Doc and anyone with a Bleed stacker are absolutely fantastic for eating away at those 160+ HP titans.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

I would say Hellions are OP in the sense of being the bar-none best class in the game to do no-light runs with

How do you figure? No-light runs are the one place where her terrible, awful, no-good, very-bad movement becomes an actuall detriment (although she remains somewhat effective at rank 3). She's also a dodge tank and my experience has always been that she gets shredded at low light by the +acc.

Ciaphas posted:

Sweet.

While I'm in here, how much do you all prioritize SPD, especially when it comes to -SPD on trinkets? What about dodge? (That one at least is more obvious; -dodge on a Crusader or MaA is bad news bears, less so for others, but I don't really get SPD's value.)

Speed is one of the most important stats IMO, going first generally equals less damage taken. I do not ever use -spd trinkets unless I'm trying to game something (e.g. in my movement team, I need to make sure my crusader goes after my man at arms so I can ensure that the grave robber is back in rank 3 for the start of the second round).

Toxxupation posted:

Grave Robbers are...interesting. I like using them, and they're fun, and their Lunge is a great battle-ending attack, but they're kind of impractical to use unless you have a team that relies on movers
Yeah. GR's kind of in a weird place because she is a underwhelming in a normal team, to the point where half the userbase is begging for GR buffs, but she is hilariously strong in a movement-based team.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i forget if its Canon or just a joke that the PD has a ten pound maggot as a pet but its great regardless

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's nice about Blinding Gas is that it hits the last two rows - exactly where most Stress annoyomancers hang out.

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 4, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

paranoid randroid posted:

i forget if its Canon or just a joke that the PD has a ten pound maggot as a pet but its great regardless

I don't know but it reminded me of this post I found on Tumblr (who has a small, insular and RP focused DD community if that's your cup of tea) so it's great

vestal: The power of the LIGHT INDOMITABLE will ease your pain, brother. Now if you'll turn to page 342, recite psalms 3 through 19, and scourge yourself thoroughly with this length of chain, we can begin.

occultist:I've worked out an understanding with Thulgi Lenk'igur to dispatch a chittering swarm of his Winged Spawn to seal your wound with their mandibles and cauterize it with their burning blood. The experience may be somewhat traumatic, but no lasting harm usually results.

plague doctor:*holds up a fistful of maggots and leeches* i swear to god im fuckin licensed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soothing Vapors posted:

How do you figure? No-light runs are the one place where her terrible, awful, no-good, very-bad movement becomes an actuall detriment (although she remains somewhat effective at rank 3). She's also a dodge tank and my experience has always been that she gets shredded at low light by the +acc.

her hairpin is one of the best low-light trinkets in the game

Hellion's base accuracy is so high on all her moves that she benefits the most from crit procs, because all of her moves are near-guaranteed hits. when she's running hairpin and 0 light her breakthrough does ludicrous damage to 3 ranks all at once

yeah, her movement sucks but I've found if you spec your trinkets/camping skills (especially since with low-light teams you should be camping earlier) for + surprise, as long as you get the drop on dudes it really doesn't matter, and her crazy crit chance increase from both hairpin and 0 light means that she can just literally one-shot 3 ranks all at once

iunno, from my personal experience a hairpinned hellion is only really beaten by an abomination (because, well, abominations) and maybe houndmaster for damage utility on my no-light teams

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

speaking of this game needs a way to set and name teams, for loving reals

i'm tired of hunting for the dudes with the right trinkets and abilities and quirks that i run for no-light or movement teams, etc

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
ah gotcha, I forgot about her stupid hairpin because I always sell them immediately

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soothing Vapors posted:

ah gotcha, I forgot about her stupid hairpin because I always sell them immediately

soothing vapors...*shakes head sadly while fading away*

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Has anyone mentioned selling trinkets to the provisioner for more money than the trinket seller? I noticed last night the provisioner buys trinkets at twice the value the trinket lady sells them for.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

speaking of this game needs a way to set and name teams, for loving reals

i'm tired of hunting for the dudes with the right trinkets and abilities and quirks that i run for no-light or movement teams, etc

Yeah there's a few QoL things I'd love to see in the final game

A way to not jump back and forth between the Embark screen and the rest of town would be nice, I do that a lot while I'm working out who to take next and what improvements I should make to them / who to commit, hire, fire, etc (the shortcuts on the left are a good start, add Embark to that and remove the fade-out/in and we're fuckin set)

As you say, naming and saving teams would be baller

Being able to hover over enemy moves in their list to see what they do (perhaps after you've seen them a couple times) would be nice

Being able to more clearly see the targeting of friendly buffs/heals, i.e. which ones are aoe and which aren't (MaA buffs for example, I had no idea they were aoe)

Probably more I can't think of at the moment--really just small things that add up, but them not being there doesn't detract hugely from how good this game is

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

plague doctor:*holds up a fistful of maggots and leeches* i swear to god im fuckin licensed.

olde worlde medical "science" loving owns

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A button to save party positioning so you can instantly reset your marching order after a surprise fight or after a fight with a shuffling team would be nice.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know but it reminded me of this post I found on Tumblr (who has a small, insular and RP focused DD community if that's your cup of tea) so it's great

vestal: The power of the LIGHT INDOMITABLE will ease your pain, brother. Now if you'll turn to page 342, recite psalms 3 through 19, and scourge yourself thoroughly with this length of chain, we can begin.

occultist:I've worked out an understanding with Thulgi Lenk'igur to dispatch a chittering swarm of his Winged Spawn to seal your wound with their mandibles and cauterize it with their burning blood. The experience may be somewhat traumatic, but no lasting harm usually results.

This tumblr post might have sold me on the game. :swoon:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N. posted:

I tried burning some books. It gave my guy ~90 Stress, now he's Fearful. don't burn books kids

Yea I uh, specified a different thing to light on fire. I've considered figuring out how much +virtue poo poo I could get and if stacking that up and going to trigger one of those max stress curios would be an interesting build.

Hellions do just fine in low light runs, shuffle doesn't really effect them that bad (can still use if-it-bleeds out to rank 3), and while they'll take more damage than normal improved crit chance is always nice. In fact since monsters hit harder as well as more accurately it is really important to be able to kill poo poo fast, and that is the name of her game.

If you stack up both of plague doc's +stun trinkets you have a huge boost to your chance, enough to power through one level of stun resist, and probably have a decent chance at 2 levels of it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

soothing vapors...*shakes head sadly while fading away*

I wasn't being snotty I've just never really tried it!

Next time I get one I'll try it out. Then I'll be snotty and tell you how dumb your ideas are

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
One of the things that I really enjoy about this game is trying out weird party combos. Like, the other day, I ran Houndmaster/GR/Houndmater/Crusader through the Weald. GR could Lunge and Fade all around the team, letting Crusader Lance, and the Houndmasters just rolled with it and attacked from anywhere and stacked bleed on everyone. I'm thinking HM/PD/HM/Hellion could be a lot of fun too, blood and blight everywhere. Could even swap out Hellion for a Bounty Hunter for some Stun/Mark Synergy

edit: Kinda want to run Jester/GR/Jester/GR, with everyone just flipping around like Cirque du Soliel.

edit 2: Hopefully we get some additional classes to just to add to the crazy party possibilities.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I've been running a party of (front to back)

Abom
Abom
Occultist
Jester (only sings stress/battle buff)

So far up to level 3 dungeons they have been completely unstoppable and haven't had to go into stress treatment at all. Will this party break on some future boss fight or is the game just that easy with 2x abom and infinite stress removal?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

You should probably just hit Pass every turn with the Occ and Jester to make it slightly more fair to the innocent monsters

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fargom posted:

I've been running a party of (front to back)

Abom
Abom
Occultist
Jester (only sings stress/battle buff)

So far up to level 3 dungeons they have been completely unstoppable and haven't had to go into stress treatment at all. Will this party break on some future boss fight or is the game just that easy with 2x abom and infinite stress removal?
Do you usually leave one transformed and one normal to manage stress, or do you pop both of them and the Jester's stress heal is just that good

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Do you usually leave one transformed and one normal to manage stress, or do you pop both of them and the Jester's stress heal is just that good

I almost always transform the front row abomination, unless it's a stupid easy fight. The second abom is pretty good with the shackle stun attack, but for any challenging fight I go ahead and transform both. The jester can keep up with the stress pretty easy so far, but I'm wondering if that will continue into the level 5 stuff.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ciaphas posted:

olde worlde medical "science" loving owns

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lepers should be allowed to party with abominations. who are they to judge.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I started a new game and my crusader went virtuous. Next week i took him into another dungeon and he's still virtuous. is this intented?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
doesnt the party-wide stress heal for turning human get bigger as the abom levels? i think it would get easier

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Normal Adult Human posted:

I started a new game and my crusader went virtuous. Next week i took him into another dungeon and he's still virtuous. is this intented?

Nope, those are supposed to stop after you return to town at the end of the week.

Press that advantage.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Normal Adult Human posted:

Lepers should be allowed to party with abominations. who are they to judge.

It's kinda odd. Yeah, he's meant to be a walking reference to the Leper King Baldwin The Fourth, but this isn't clear from the game nor his words, nor any outside source other than the patch notes themselves. There's nothing that says in any sense 'this man would not party with the Abomination'. The Vestal and Crusader you might guess. Not so the Leper.

EDIT:Now I'm curious. What does he actually say when you try to put the two together?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 5, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I bought the game last summer and poked at it, then put it down to wait until the final release was closer - first of all, thank you thread for confirming that the devs said saves would work for the final release. Second, having run a few dungeons with a fresh game - Hellions are hugely overpowered, to the point that it feels like I'm cheating by bringing her along. She can hit three enemies even in the last row! She can do incredible amounts of damage when she's up front! She can heal her own bleeding/blight! Literally everything else is lackluster compared to her, and I'm really curious to find out if the devs will nerf her at all in the final release.

tl;dr Having a Hellion feels like I activated easy mode.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bought the game last summer and poked at it, then put it down to wait until the final release was closer - first of all, thank you thread for confirming that the devs said saves would work for the final release. Second, having run a few dungeons with a fresh game - Hellions are hugely overpowered, to the point that it feels like I'm cheating by bringing her along. She can hit three enemies even in the last row! She can do incredible amounts of damage when she's up front! She can heal her own bleeding/blight! Literally everything else is lackluster compared to her, and I'm really curious to find out if the devs will nerf her at all in the final release.

tl;dr Having a Hellion feels like I activated easy mode.
Hellions are great, right up until their dodge fails and they get crit-killed outta nowhere

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

JT Jag posted:

Hellions are great, right up until their dodge fails and they get crit-killed outta nowhere

This happens rarely enough not to constitute a serious balancing factor in my eyes. Now if If It Bleeds carried a debuff or had reduced damage (maybe even both) and the debuffs were serious enough to hinder her, it would be different. But as it is right now she's way OP.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Definitely a bug with the trinkets and provision merchant. If you sell him a trinket he'll pay you the price that it costs at the gypsy woman. Made 10k off a lovely cloak.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Demiurge4 posted:

Definitely a bug with the trinkets and provision merchant. If you sell him a trinket he'll pay you the price that it costs at the gypsy woman. Made 10k off a lovely cloak.

You say bug, I say "Finally, I can afford to give my stupid minions medical care at the Sanitarium."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Anal Surgery posted:

You say bug, I say "Finally, I can afford to give my stupid minions medical care at the Sanitarium."

You know, it occurs to me, why can't you let your actual medical professional party members try and fix any of the horrible diseases your people get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

NewMars posted:

You know, it occurs to me, why can't you let your actual medical professional party members try and fix any of the horrible diseases your people get?

you....can, that's a plague doctor camping skill

it's one of her best camping skills in the game