Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

He gets his big power-up with Whitebeard's fruit and talks a lot of poo poo about how great he is, then Shank's crew shows up and he fucks off like a bitch. He a buster.

He was more than willing to fight the World Government forces and the Whitebeard remnants right up until Shanks came in and tipped the scales. That's called being smart and not taking on more than can be reasonably handled, because as it is He would've had his hands full with what they were already facing.

He's in a better position now because he made that decision, doing it your way ends up with him dead and in prison and for what? Just to prove he's as strong as Shanks? He's already proved that he's a match from both his actions in the war and by scarring him in the first place to the point that Shanks feared what he was capable of. By being smart he took over most of Whitebeards territory and has hunted down more useful DF powers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Advice posted:

I don't know if we've got the evidence to support this. Oda has intentionally left Blackbeard's current doings outside of our "vision", and I hardly think a man as ambitious as he was is just resting on his laurels.

Well when you consider that as soon as he got the quake quake fruit he immediately launched in to a villain rant about he he'd finally done it, he was unstoppable and it was his age I think we see someone who thinks they've done all they need to do to achieve their dreams. You don't start crowing about poo poo like it being your age and no one being able to stop you if you're only half way there. We saw him grow his material resources all through Paradise and then in the New World? Nothing. It's just him getting some new fruits. Whooppee.

He may not be resting on his laurels and may think there's more he can do, but I don't think he'll actually achieve anything else of real significance.

Advice posted:

Re: Blackbeard and Sakazuki; I mean, I dunno man, Blackbeard was the one (with crew in tow) who actually killed Whitebeard, Sakazuki took his face and poo poo but he didn't really even slow him down. BB gets the point for that one for sure.

Blackbeard put the final shots in Whitebeard, but Whitebeard was obviously on his last legs at the time. Ace had just died, Sakazuki had just taken a huge chunk out of his head and while he continues fighting for a time afterwards, he almost immediately opens a rift between himself and his crew(s) which suggests he knows he's not going anywhere. Even after he flattens Blackbeard he doesn't actually move, just throws Blackbeard to the ground and then stands there for a panel or two before Blackbeard's crew opens fire, which again suggests he can't move and is on his last legs. He survives the gunshots just long enough to declare that Blackbeard is a fake and One Piece is real, but I don't think you can say that either Blackbeard or his crew really killed him, because he was on his way out and he knew it. He certainly gets the credit in universe, but I don't think he really deserves it. I don't think any one person deserves it to be clear, because it's very much a cumulative thing and the realization that he simply wasn't strong enough to protect his sons anymore probably helped too, but Sakazuki did more damage than just about anyone.

Advice posted:

And as far as Blackbeard's track record, he's fought just about every strongest person in the entire series. Yeah he lost to Magellan, everyone else does. Yeah he presumably failed to kill Shanks, but gently caress man, he's SHANKS. And it appears Shanks got the worse end of that deal anyway. Sakazuki, Whitebeard, Sengoku, Blackbeard has fought the loving titans of this world and come out on the other side each time. And for most of them he was wielding a fruit that increased the pain/damage he takes. He's definitely final boss material.

He came out alive, but he often came out the worse, at least in the eyes of the reader. He lost faster against Magellan than Luffy did for instance, even with more help (Luffy and Bon Clay fought him and lost before being imprisoned, but it took a short while - Blackbeard lost immediately even with his crew there). He lost immediately against Whitebeard where Sakazuki at least fought him on relatively even footing for a short period and managed to hurt him a few times. Sengoku was having no real trouble with him either, despite Blackbeard having two fruit powers when he fought him. He may have hurt Shanks in the past, but I highly suspect he did so in a less than straight fashion and Shanks feared what he could do because he realized how devious he was and that he would play the long game, not because of his skill in battle, since he's never demonstrated himself to be particularly dangerous in that regard. He flat out refused to fight Sakazuki when he saw him coming and instead just retreated. And I think that says something.

Advice posted:

Hell, your whole thing about growth is counterproductive to your argument. Sakazuki, for all intents and purposes, hasn't gotten a bit stronger since we saw him on Ohara. Blackbeard we watched, from just the Darkness fruit and cherry pies, to shichibukai, to Impel Down and crew gathering, to acquiring the Quake fruit, to Emperor status. We've watched him grow a poo poo-ton. And now you think he's just done, that he's just going to be another man Luffy punches before the REAL fight?

Sakazuki did grow though. He went from Vice Admiral to Admiral to Fleet Admiral and now is bristling under the control of the Gorosei and almost certainly going to come in conflict with them. He might also ascend to the position of Commander-in-Chief of the World Government, since that's the next highest rank up after Fleet Admiral and only one step removed from the Gorosei themselves. Or just bypass the rank system altogether since Kong seems more in line with the likes of Garp and Sengoku in terms of personality and morals. He also almost certainly gained his devil fruit after Ohara, given that he isn't shown using it during that flashback, just ordering the use of his ship's guns where Aokiji is being very free with his use of them and Sakazuki an't exactly restrained in general. He may have had them during that time, but it's doubtful.

Meanwhile, at that time Blackbeard was still hiding out on Whitebeard's crew and would be for a good few years more until he got the dark dark fruit. He only made his move then and gained a lot in short order, but he never actually grew as a person or a fighter in that time. He's still making the same mistakes against Whitebeard that he did against Ace for instance, and assuming that any fruit user will be rendered impotent by his dark dark fruit's cancellation of fruit powers. Ace proved him wrong immediately, and then months later Whitebeard did the same thing and easily trounced him before Blackbeard ordered his crew to open fire on Whitebeard.

Even his crew aren't being shown as all that strong, given that Jesus Burgess was having trouble with Sabo even before Sabo got the fire fire fuit and lost badly to him after he got it, to the point where he was nearly killed. You joke about Dragon beating Blackbeard, but I honestly find it more likely than Blackbeard killing Dragon or Sabo given the performance we've seen from him and his crew so far in the manga. They're really just not that impressive in a straight up fight so far. And the Revolutionaries simply aren't going to suffer any kind of catastrophic loss fighting Blackbeard because they've not actually done anything of consequence so far in the manga. Having them lose anyone of note now would basically render their build up kind of pointless.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

For my part, I think Blackbeard feels like a way more engaging final opponent than Akainu. Akainu is probably the most horrible person in the series, but ultimately he's just a part of the system; Blackbeard is an independent figure who's been running counter to Luffy for a long time. That said, I really think Luffy is going to defeat him and become the pirate king prior to taking down the World Government - it really feels like the story is heading in that direction. I used to absolutely think Akainu was going to be the final boss, but now that we know that he's not 100% loyal to the Celestial Dragons and their world order, I think someone else related to the government will take that spot.

I agree that Blackbeard is both a more entertaining and in many ways more interesting figure than Sakazuki, and would be especially great if we'd seen him mature as a fighter or a villain while the manga was showing us his progress - but I don't think that's relevant to whether he'll be the final villain or not. I think Sakazuki is about the biggest dick in the Marines or the World Government so he's a good contender for final Marine Luffy fights just on that ground alone, but given that he's also killed Ace and generally been shown as the most physically dangerous person in the Marines and hasn't lost on screen I think it's more likely he'll stay tip top of the Marines and not be taken out. There's no point having someone take him and become the really terrible Marine/World Government, because they'll still represent the same thing, just without the added bonus of being the guy who killed Ace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

A fight with Shanks then and there could well have ended up with Blackbeard facing not just him, but the really, really pissed off remnants of Whitebeard's crew and the entirety of the World Government, who are now pretty pissed off themselves that he played them.

It was a good deal smarter to break off then and fight some cleaner battles later than risk fighting half of the strongest people in the world at once, especially after Whitebeard just kicked his poo poo in.

This is all true, but at the same time at least a few months later after he's had a bit of time to start getting used to the quake quake fruit he still ran when he saw Sakazuki's ship coming. It wasn't a fleet or anything as far as I recall, and it's never suggested any other strong marines were on board. He doesn't even wait to find out. When he hears it's Sakazuki's ship he decides it's not worth it and runs. Now you can definitely view this as him being smart enough to know when he's in over his head and his main success has been as a somewhat underhanded villain that plays the system to get what he wants and not as a straight up fighter, but when he's unwilling to take on a single guy even with his entire crew and two fruits I think it somwhat undercuts him as a villain regardless.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TheKingofSprings posted:

A fight with Shanks then and there could well have ended up with Blackbeard facing not just him, but the really, really pissed off remnants of Whitebeard's crew and the entirety of the World Government, who are now pretty pissed off themselves that he played them.

It was a good deal smarter to break off then and fight some cleaner battles later than risk fighting half of the strongest people in the world at once, especially after Whitebeard just kicked his poo poo in.

Asuron posted:

He was more than willing to fight the World Government forces and the Whitebeard remnants right up until Shanks came in and tipped the scales. That's called being smart and not taking on more than can be reasonably handled, because as it is He would've had his hands full with what they were already facing.

He's in a better position now because he made that decision, doing it your way ends up with him dead and in prison and for what? Just to prove he's as strong as Shanks? He's already proved that he's a match from both his actions in the war and by scarring him in the first place to the point that Shanks feared what he was capable of. By being smart he took over most of Whitebeards territory and has hunted down more useful DF powers

Yeah, again, you are describing a Thai ladyboy and his team of professional dog walkers, not a stone crazy killer I should give a poo poo about. You backshot a man to steal a power that can level an island, you don't sit around worrying about what all the people on an island will do to fight you. You level the loving island and laugh on top of the new island that formed out of their drowned corpses. That's like villain 101. Giving a speech about how awesome and untouchable you are and then immediately backtracking when a dozen guys show up is just lame. It's hard to walk that back. Like it's hard to walk back getting instantly clowned by a giant poison man and having to have someone bail your rear end out of it. Your mouth is clearly writing checks your rear end can't cash.

More importantly, you aren't really someone I feel satisfied with being the end of a decades long story. "And after all that, they eventually ran down down some rando backshotting motherfucker that raised general havoc and ended him. Then they all had ice cream, the end!". Also his powers are boring. "My power is I make other powers not work right and also I can have multiple Devil Fruits!". I can't think of many stories where that sort of power stealing bullshit just doesn't come off as lazy. It works here because Blackbeard is just a terrible human being, but to make him the center of the final story? Yeah I don't see Oda pulling that one off.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Why does he need to be a stone crazy killer before you think he's worthy of being an endboss? He's never been portrayed as that, he's just basically the opposite of Luffy and that doesn't mean he goes around killing people for the fun of it, he has a very specific plan and that plan doesn't involve sticking around to fight three powerful forces at once before he's ready. Hell he was even gonna stick around to fight two of them until he thought better of it. No offense but you've got very boring ideas on what a final villain should be if you think they should succeed at literally everything they do and be able to take anyone on with ease.

That's not who Blackbeard is or ever has been, your version of him is infinitely more boring because you just want him to be a generic evil villain who everyone wants to stop, but he's got alot more going on than that. Also if you're going to complain about his Devil Fruit power being boring, I'm sorry but that's pretty much every Logia. His one is at least interesting in that it causes him incredible pain if he takes hits and it gives him the edge over any Devil Fruit user alive. Every other Logia user except maybe Caesar is really boring in what they do, his one at least changes the rules we've come to expect.

It basically sounds like you want him to be Madara Uchiha and man I can't think of anything more boring than that.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 3, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Asuron posted:

Why does he need to be a stone crazy killer before you think he's worthy of being an endboss?

Lacks all gravitas, ironically for a man with black hole powers.

quote:

That's not who Blackbeard is or ever has been, your version of him is infinitely more boring because you just want him to be a generic evil villain who every wants to stop

That's exactly what he is right now, minus the "everyone wants to stop". Nobody gives that much of a poo poo about him at this point, there's always someone more important for them to focus on. He's never really the one who does the major thing, he just happens to move around at the edge of the major event and takes advantage of the chaos. And all for the same end goal: Self-aggrandizement. He's a carrion feeder. Thematically interesting, but no ultimate meaning. He's a generically evil villain that just fucks around with the world because it makes his weenis tingle. His dream is....to make the age his in some nebulous way that involves running around wrecking face on chumps that can't defend themselves. And we know nothing else about him, because the narrative hasn't really cared to tell us. Can't get much more generically evil than that, can you? Sociopath wrecking face to be the big boss.

quote:

but he's got alot more going on than that.

He has nothing going for him, and is poo poo. It's why he's not in the story very much and half his appearances are comic relief. He works better as something we don't see than as an ongoing figure that we actually follow doing things. We are coming into the home stretch and the only thing less defined than him is "Not Japan". Even the Revolutionary Army has gotten more fleshing out since then, and we still know practically nothing about their plans in the macro sense.

I don't want him to always win, I don't want him to have ultimate power, I want him to actually attempt to do something to the narrative with any intensity. Which....he hasn't. He sells out Ace, but he was planning on selling out Luffy in the first place. And either way he didn't really care, it was just a convenient way to get what he wants. When Whitebeard is left open, he jumps him for power. When he gets it, he just....goes off and generically acts like a pirate lord off screen, and only against the lands left in chaos by Whitebeard. Of the 4 Emperors we've seen, he's the least interestingly defined. Considering the dude was introduced like 14 years ago at this point? That is just sad.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
There's no way they build up the importance and mystery of Dragon just to have him lose in his first fight. If anything he'll chump Blackbeard in an awe inspiring display to show why the world fears him. Blackbeard will limp away and come back later to do something dastardly in a big brawl while someone *cough*Shanks*cough* is distracted.

The only way I can see Dragon being taken out now is if Luffy was there to hear Dragons death bed speech about how no one can ever truly be free until the government has been taken apart, and Luffy seems pretty busy at the moment

Anyone else think that Whitebeards 'son' is being set up to kill Blackbeard? He seems to be an absolute tank, and his shrew of a mother doesn't want him to kill Blackbeard because of greed, which should pretty much guarantee that he ends up doing exactly that. He seems like too goofy of a character for The Strawhats to fight out of the blue, especially given the full plate of monsters already being served up

deep space nein fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 3, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

For my part, I think Blackbeard feels like a way more engaging final opponent than Akainu. Akainu is probably the most horrible person in the series, but ultimately he's just a part of the system; Blackbeard is an independent figure who's been running counter to Luffy for a long time. That said, I really think Luffy is going to defeat him and become the pirate king prior to taking down the World Government - it really feels like the story is heading in that direction. I used to absolutely think Akainu was going to be the final boss, but now that we know that he's not 100% loyal to the Celestial Dragons and their world order, I think someone else related to the government will take that spot.

But that's the thing the final fight in this instance wouldn't just be against Akainu it would be against the system itself.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I have a strong feeling that if Enel ever comes back from Fairy Vearth with his immortal moon army and a thorough understanding of all bases of Haki he would be a serious power player again.

Fucker might even be able to take on an entire Emperor's armada and hold his own for a good while depending on how smart he is with hit-and-run tactics. He was able to smite a couple of dudes from a dozen miles away ya?

Just fly that Maxim overhead and start raining electric death all over

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
The issue at play here is that the shear length of the story diminishes the effect these villains have on us emotionally. BB currently "lacks gravitas" because he hasn't been seen in what, a year or more of the manga's publication now? If he showed up out of the blue and got whacked nobody would care, but that isn't what is gonna happen. Calm yourselves, people. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

[After scrolling past 1 billion words of idle speculation] One piece must be on hiatus this week. Oda would never take us on such a boring adventure.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I followed this series for the first 10 years of its life (!), but stopped and haven't been back. I had a moment of nostalgia, though. Is one piece still a good and funny manga? I mean, you might all be hanging around for nostalgia's sake...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I feel like it's been dragging a bit since the timeskip (with the exception of Punk Hazard, which is largely peak One Piece), but it's still a good and funny comic book, just a bit bloated with characters that sometimes are mediocre and unfunny because they have tragic backstories.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The only boring character is Trafalgar pointless D Law.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The last arc dragged on too long but is probably a much better read when you aren't reading week to week and had plenty of stellar moments, and the current arc is looking to be one of the best, certainly the best post-timeskip arc. One Piece is in robust health.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Trafalgar D Water Law.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Bobfly posted:

I followed this series for the first 10 years of its life (!), but stopped and haven't been back. I had a moment of nostalgia, though. Is one piece still a good and funny manga? I mean, you might all be hanging around for nostalgia's sake...
It is in peak form. It has ups and down that are the same ups and downs it has always had. Some arcs are better than others, but all are good. It is still the same crazy adventure with mostly amazing characters, great comedy, mild misogyny, mysteries, captivating story, good battles and slightly-dragged-out arcs that it has always been.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Bisse posted:

It is in peak form. It has ups and down that are the same ups and downs it has always had. Some arcs are better than others, but all are good. It is still the same crazy adventure with mostly amazing characters, great comedy, mild misogyny, mysteries, captivating story, good battles and slightly-dragged-out arcs that it has always been.

the last arc especially was ~slightly longer~ than previous ones but yeah it doesn't feel much different.

i think this is why some people like skypiea, i didn't mind gunning through it serially but i'm sure it was actually awful to read on a week-by-week

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't the last arc the longest one with about 100 chapters?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't the last arc the longest one with about 100 chapters?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we were in Dressrosa for two years, or nearly that long. And a good chunk of that time was spent with only five Strawhats doing stuff, because the arc was already so bloated that we needed half the crew to gently caress off and start the next arc. I mean, when it's all said and done Dressrosa has enough good moments to be a good arc, but two years drags a bit with parts like Pica running away.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we were in Dressrosa for two years, or nearly that long. And a good chunk of that time was spent with only five Strawhats doing stuff, because the arc was already so bloated that we needed half the crew to gently caress off and start the next arc. I mean, when it's all said and done Dressrosa has enough good moments to be a good arc, but two years drags a bit with parts like Pica running away.

It was longer than 2 years because this is when Oda started taking breaks every 3 weeks or so...So it was closer to 2 1/2 - 3 years, tbh. It was the first Manga arc that felt like it had deliberate filler in it, and while I thinked it worked out as a whole, it definitely could have used an editor to condense it, especially the last 15 chapters or so.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Julias posted:

It was longer than 2 years because this is when Oda started taking breaks every 3 weeks or so...So it was closer to 2 1/2 - 3 years, tbh. It was the first Manga arc that felt like it had deliberate filler in it, and while I thinked it worked out as a whole, it definitely could have used an editor to condense it, especially the last 15 chapters or so.

I wouldn't exactly call it filler but the arc definitely needed pruning. We're going to see the various gladiators down the line so this arc was necessary to set them up (though we're probably going to forget all is their abilities sans Bart, maybe). The one thing that I think really needed to be cut out was the dumb countdown to Luffy recovering Gear Fourth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shoren posted:

I wouldn't exactly call it filler but the arc definitely needed pruning. We're going to see the various gladiators down the line so this arc was necessary to set them up (though we're probably going to forget all is their abilities sans Bart, maybe). The one thing that I think really needed to be cut out was the dumb countdown to Luffy recovering Gear Fourth.

wasn't that so the reveal was on chapter 800 or whatever. it definitely felt like it was being extended purely to make chapter 800 some major event

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Jose posted:

wasn't that so the reveal was on chapter 800 or whatever. it definitely felt like it was being extended purely to make chapter 800 some major event

Chapter 800 was the formation of the Strawhat Armada and I think Oda specifically wanted that to sync up that way. In that regard there was a lot he could have done with the pacing to get there, like shown more of the other fights (Franky v Senor Pink?) or did more with the Diamante fight rather than the Gear Fourth countdown so there'd be ~tension~ with Rebecca and the Parasite String. I need to read the arc again start to finish because I'm probably being a bit too harsh on the pacing from a weekly point of view.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

sharktamer posted:

What are you talking about, his reactions to the Strawhats' hijinks and their constant undermining of his attempts to be serious are priceless. We need more of that!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shoren posted:

Chapter 800 was the formation of the Strawhat Armada and I think Oda specifically wanted that to sync up that way. In that regard there was a lot he could have done with the pacing to get there, like shown more of the other fights (Franky v Senor Pink?) or did more with the Diamante fight rather than the Gear Fourth countdown so there'd be ~tension~ with Rebecca and the Parasite String. I need to read the arc again start to finish because I'm probably being a bit too harsh on the pacing from a weekly point of view.

Hell he could've done a "Meanwhile..." and show Sanji and Co.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Kild posted:

Hell he could've done a "Meanwhile..." and show Sanji and Co.

This happened!! We were shown a single chapter on Zou with the crew cleaning up the remnants of Kaidou's crew and saving the squirrel(?) mink-girl. Could've done with another chapter or two focusing on their escape from Big Mom.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

law owns and his flashback was the best part of derossa

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shoren posted:

There were lots of like things, like the guy with the jake-jake fruit who was working for Douflamingo and led Luffy into the water trap. That was pointless and stupid, and a waste of a cool ability.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oddium posted:

law owns and his flashback was the best part of derossa

Usopp was the best part between him becoming the fourth Haki user and him gaining his 10,000 followers only to lose them a second later to a huge bounty. Oh, and finally getting a significant bounty so all his friends back home can be proud of him. Law's flashback was good too through.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Last Celebration posted:

Usopp was the best part between him becoming the fourth Haki user and him gaining his 10,000 followers only to lose them a second later to a huge bounty. Oh, and finally getting a significant bounty so all his friends back home can be proud of him. Law's flashback was good too through.

Agreed. The arc was mainly about Luffy, Law, and Doffy, but Usopp totally stole the show. :allears:

When the crew finally gets to Elbaf, it's going to be epic. It'll probably be after Wano IMO.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Usopp's epic shot across the country was one amazing moment of haki and skill.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
One piece is a brilliant manga and great fun to read. Its one of my favourites and will be until it finishes.

The problem is its dragging on at this stage, to the point I could easily see it reaching 1500+ chapters before it finishes.

Its almost a pity One piece is so popular, its too good a money a spinner and I can see it being dragged to death like Naruto was.

At this stage I just can hope if I drop it for a few years and come back to it, It will be enjoyable enough to read back to back.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One Piece is popular enough that Oda can laugh at SJ trying to interfere with the story. It'll be as long as he decides it should be, with most of the expansion past the original plan coming from him expanding on ideas or coming up with new ideas for the adventure.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The problem is its dragging on at this stage, to the point I could easily see it reaching 1500+ chapters before it finishes.

The arc that just finished gave us God Usopp, in what insane alternate universe was that not loving amazing?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The more time spent in the world of One Piece, the better. You people who want it to end soon are crazy.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Boogaleeboo posted:

The arc that just finished gave us God Usopp, in what insane alternate universe was that not loving amazing?

Read my entire post, One piece is always amazing is what I initially said, but that does not mean it isnt being dragged out is im getting at.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Read my entire post, One piece is always amazing is what I initially said, but that does not mean it isnt being dragged out is im getting at.

And how is it being dragged out?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

No?

Just because something is long, doesn't mean it's dragged out. Bleach is long and dragged out because almost nothing happens in it and should've been to put sleep long ago, whereas in One Piece that's almost never the case. If the story is moving forward and always brings new and exciting developments that only improve the story while pushing it towards the end point, how on earth is that dragging things out?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Asuron posted:

No?

Just because something is long, doesn't mean it's dragged out. Bleach is long and dragged out because almost nothing happens in it and should've been to put sleep long ago, whereas in One Piece that's almost never the case. If the story is moving forward and always brings new and exciting developments that only improve the story while pushing it towards the end point, how on earth is that dragging things out?

Half the chapters in dressrosa did not bring new and exciting developments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Half the chapters in dressrosa did not bring new and exciting developments

This, pretty much. It felt insanely forced to have everyone wait for Luffy to recover from Gear 4 to beat Doflamingo when everyone but Zoro has no believable reason to just go for the kill, for instance. The entire arc is trying to do two important things at once; introduce the main members of Luffy's armada and tell the tragic story of Dressrosa's past, which means the entire thing took over two years at the same place, and for all the good moments like Bart and Toy Soldier's backstory, it wasn't exactly brisk getting there.

Punk Hazard dragged a bit too, but wasn't trying to do too much and was all the good parts of OP when it didn't drag so I'm hoping there aren't any important world politics to get in the way of Zoa being a cool fun adventure about animal people that have lighting kung-fu and treat Luffy and Brooke like chew toys.