Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

Most surprising about that list is that there were kinda legitimately 50 good animes this year.

Anime is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Twiddy posted:

a show for girls at all isn't going to do well on a site that is a holdout for old school otaku ppl

See also, lack of Yona and Haikyuu.

Not to mention lack of Snow White.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

no

but i will count your bad animes too
Thanks.
Remember that the votes in mine are unweighted

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
This was a good year for normie anime IMO

5. Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou Absolutely the surprise of the year, I half-expected it to be garbage just because of how out there the idea of an improv anime is, but this completely knocked it out of the park, I laughed harder at this than I did at even some really good scripted comedy anime.

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Chapter Jojo owns, now and forevermore. Too bad about all the off-model poo poo in the last few episodes though.

3. Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Garo's generally a pretty hit-or-miss series so I ended up approaching this very cautiously but it ended up being really solid; its primary missteps were generally minor stuff, like the garbage CGI.

2. My Love Story!! this show made me feel so good, every episode.

1. One-Punch Man Managed to be one of the rare things that actually lives up to the sizeable hype it had pre-airing. The animation was beyond excellent - Yoshimichi Kameda is a miracle worker, a surprise cut in the last episode by Yutaka Nakamura and a lot of really excellent scenes done by people I'd never heard of before (because I'm not really that deep into sakuga stuff) - but man, the story was the real prize for me. I love a good reflection on what it means to be a hero and this was one of the best I've seen.

Honorable mentions to Blood Blockade Battlefront (I didn't mind the anime original stuff because I love Rie Matsumoto), Parasyte and Wakakozake (pshuu~) And a special shoutout to all those shows I liked enough to watch most of, but never bothered to actually finish for whatever reason. Also sorta dishonorable mention to Death Parade for having the greatest OP of all time, but being kind of a poorly written mess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AlternateNu posted:

Is that a sequel? Or a remake? Last thing I saw of it was the OVA that came out like 5-7 years ago or something like that. I didn't even know they had a Fafner anime out this year until I saw the countdown lists, and I'm in kind of the same boat as you.

It's a legit sequel to the series.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Twiddy posted:

a show for girls at all isn't going to do well on a site that is a holdout for old school otaku ppl

See also, lack of Yona and Haikyuu.
Wow, no Blood Blockade Battlefront either, didn't it sell really well?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
A lot of people were mad about the BBB adaptation cause of all the anime original content

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Coaaab posted:

Wow, no Blood Blockade Battlefront either, didn't it sell really well?

Judging from some doujins I've caught sight of, it sold well to a different crowd.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm mad that they didn't adapt the story where the butler gets to do stuff because that chapter is amazing

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm mad they didn't adapt the story where Chain drinks some guy under the bar to win back Leo's lunch money while Zap wanders around town high as a kite looking for his girlfriend's cat.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Silver2195 posted:

Not to mention lack of Snow White.
So many good shows season it's hard to keep track of them all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Judging from some doujins I've caught sight of, it sold well to a different crowd.

part of a friend's haul at comiket...the cover looks pretty and i'm jealous

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Egypt Arc - Can't wait for Diamond is Unbreakable.

2. One-Punch Man - Anime adaptation does not disappoint.

I didn't watch anything else.

I'm also sad Hokuto no Ken: Ichigo Aji wasn't an anime series itself and was just the last 2 minutes for the DD Hokuto no Ken series, which is just awful.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm mad they didn't adapt the story where Chain drinks some guy under the bar to win back Leo's lunch money while Zap wanders around town high as a kite looking for his girlfriend's cat.

I wish it was as easy as saying "just go read the manga" because the first half was so freakin good. Rie Matsumoto is a brilliant director and I hope she gets a ton more projects in the coming years.

But yeah, I think we should all just go read the manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anime original stuff in BBB would've been better without Black/Blank as he was, because White was super likable and i enjoyed her addition/scenes with Leo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Graphs of the changes in MAL scores of the Winter season's' shows.
https://imgur.com/a/8BxXh

I dunno if it means a whole lot, but it's kinda fun looking at the drastic jumps some of them take.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

a kitten posted:

I dunno if it means a whole lot, but it's kinda fun looking at the drastic jumps some of them take.

lol :tem: Haikyuu is completely stable and awesome

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Those changes are so tiny (even what looks like a big jump is just 0.3) that I wouldn't read much into it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
4. One punch man: 3 episodes in. It's awesome. Not sure how the plot will turn out.

3.Shirobako: Started watching this because i saw quite a few people having this as their number 1. I'm a few episodes in. So far, i'm more interested in the red haired girl's voice acting plotline

2. My Love Story!!: Also Watched this because of this thread. Alot of you had this in the top 5. It did not disappoint. I couldn't stop watching. Easily the best. Wouldn't mind re watching this in a month or 2

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Chapter. I love JoJo. I watched this as it was running. The special opening blew me away.

That's all I have watched last year.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Devil Tesla posted:

Those changes are so tiny (even what looks like a big jump is just 0.3) that I wouldn't read much into it.

Oh, hahaha. Yeah i guess they are pretty small increments.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sefal posted:

3.Shirobako: Started watching this because i saw quite a few people having this as their number 1. I'm a few episodes in. So far, i'm more interested in the red haired girl's voice acting plotline

You're gonna have a good time

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Members of the My Anime List website community who had already placed votes before the end of a series (N = 100000; 0 women and 100000 men, age range = teens), were allocated to the retard group. Insufficient data was available to establish a control group.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm lazy as poo poo so here are my favourite animes from this season in no particular order.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Working!!!
Shirobako
Snow White with the Red Hair
SNAFU Too

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

a kitten posted:

Oh, hahaha. Yeah i guess they are pretty small increments.
The tip to check for someone pulling a fast one on you with graphs; look at the scales.

That said, they seem to have a kept of range of 1.4 so it's good for comparing eccentricities between shows.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 3, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Twiddy posted:

The tip to check for someone pulling a fast one on you with graphs; look at the scales.

Whatever do you mean?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I just finished watching One-Punch Man, and although I'm not going to change my list, it's definitely one of the best of this last year.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Perhaps a little late, but here's a selection of my favorite anime series from 2015:

1. Shirobako: It works both as a moderately idealized look into the actual production process for anime and as a good story in its own right.
2. Maria the Virgin Witch: Solid direction, good use of the historical setting and significantly better writing than whatever the name implies.
3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc: One of the most entertaining shows and a great adaptation of Part 3's highlights.
4. Fafner Exodus: This was a significant improvement over the original Fafner series. Very good character dynamics and awesome robot action.
5. Concrete Revolutio: A very weird yet fun series with an ambitious scope. I will remain cautiously optimistic about the eventual conclusion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

a kitten posted:

Iron Blood Orphans somehow getting back to the exact starting point twice is weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

okay but i need to see eupho's graph now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Iron Blood Orphans somehow getting back to the exact starting point twice is weird.

It's just a very, very solid, consistent show. So, an odd coincidence, but not all that surprising.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Endorph posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

"What the gently caress is this bull-- oh it's actually good, carry on."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There were a bunch of series I wanted to watch that I never got around to or only saw in part, so I'm gonna limit my selection to shows I've seen in full and finished.
    5. Punchline

I expected nothing from this show but was convinced to check it out and ended up enjoying it a lot. Thanks Srice.

4. Snow White with the Red Hair

A sweet and satisfying romance with charming characters that actually goes somewhere. Thanks Bones.

3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc

It's Jojo. Thanks Araki.

2. One-Punch Man

An exceptional commercial for ONE and Murata's One-Punch webserial collaboration. Thanks Madhouse.

1. Gatchaman Crowds Insight

Not as good as the first season, but almost. Thanks Obama.
I'd also like to take a moment to recognize Hunter x Hunter as my show of the year that I watched this year that didn't actually come out this year.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

1. Oregairu S2: This is probably the only anime I've ever seen that has made me think it would be worth reading the LN.

2. Shirobako: Everything about this is good.

3. Ore Monogatari!!: Adorable, a show where the couple actually gets together, and a good way to cheer up after Oregairu episodes.

4. Hibike! Euphonium: This would be number one if they kissed.

5. Knights of Sidonia S2: This could have been Parasyte, Fate/stay Night, or One Punch Man, but I really like Sidonia, and maybe I'm just getting used to it but I think the animation was a lot better this season.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

5. Punchline

I expected nothing from this show but was convinced to check it out and ended up enjoying it a lot. Thanks Srice.

Always glad to see folks checking out and enjoying something that got overlooked :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Top 10 Anime Of 2015
  1. One-Punch Man (70)
  2. Shirobako (64)
  3. Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) (43)
  4. Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!) (39)
  5. Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure s2 p2) (34)
  6. Gatchaman Crowds Insight (s2) (23)
  7. Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU s2) (20)
  8. Non Non Biyori Repeat (s2) (16)
  9. Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte) (13)
  10. Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair) (12)
(Unweighted votes, weights used as tie-breaker)

Top 10 Anime Of 2015 (weighted)
  1. Shirobako (259)
  2. One-Punch Man (237)
  3. Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) (142)
  4. Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure s2 p2) (108)
  5. Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!) (108)
  6. Gatchaman Crowds Insight (s2) (73)
  7. Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU s2) (68)
  8. Non Non Biyori Repeat (s2) (47)
  9. Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte) (39)
  10. Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair) (37)
(Weighted votes, #1 = 5 points ... #5 = 1 point, no ranks = 3 points for all votes)

Recommended by >10 people
  • Wakakozake (20)
  • Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] s2 (18)
  • Working!!! (s3) (17)
  • Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma) (16)
  • Owarimonogatari (15)
  • Himouto! Umaru-chan (14)
  • Death Parade (13)
  • Junketsu no Maria (Maria the Virgin Witch) (13)
  • YuruYuri SP+s3 (13)
  • Prison School (12)
  • Durarara!! x2 (s2 p1-2?) (12)
(Not in the top 10, sum of unweighted votes and honorable mentions)

Recommended by >5 people
  • Concrete Revolutio (9)
  • Symphogear GX (s3) (9)
  • Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live) (9)
  • Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist (9)
  • Akatsuki no Yona (9)
  • Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) (8)
  • Overlord (8)
  • Rokka no Yuusha (Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers) (8)
  • Idolmaster Cinderella Girls (8)
  • Noragami Aragoto (s2) (8)
  • Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) (7)
  • Rolling Girls (7)
  • Gundam Reconguista in G (6)
  • Garo: Honoo no Kokuin (6)
  • Koufuku Graffiti (Gourmet Girl Graffiti) (6)
  • Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan) (6)
(Not in the top 10, sum of unweighted votes and honorable mentions)

Full Ranking
  • One-Punch Man (70)
  • Shirobako (64)
  • Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) (43)
  • Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!) (39)
  • Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders- Egypt-hen (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure s2 p2) (34)
  • Gatchaman Crowds Insight (s2) (23)
  • Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru Zoku (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU s2) (20)
  • Non Non Biyori Repeat (s2) (16)
  • Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte) (13)
  • Akagami no Shirayukihime (Snow White with the Red Hair) (12)
  • Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] s2 (12)
  • Owarimonogatari (11)
  • Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma) (10)
  • Working!!! (s3) (10)
  • Prison School (9)
  • Himouto! Umaru-chan (9)
  • Wakakozake (8)
  • Death Parade (8)
  • Concrete Revolutio (8)
  • Junketsu no Maria (Maria the Virgin Witch) (7)
  • Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April) (7)
  • Symphogear GX (s3) (7)
  • Overlord (7)
  • Rokka no Yuusha (Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers) (7)
  • Gakkou Gurashi (School-Live) (5)
  • Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist (5)
  • Idolmaster Cinderella Girls (5)
  • Gundam Reconguista in G (5)
  • Akatsuki no Yona (5)
  • Durarara!! x2 (s2 p1-2?) (5)
  • Garo: Honoo no Kokuin (5)
  • YuruYuri SP+s3 (5)
  • Noragami Aragoto (s2) (5)
  • Yurikuma Arashi (4)
  • Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) (4)
  • Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider (3)
  • Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (3)
  • Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou (s3) (3)
  • Punchline (3)
  • RWBY (2)
  • Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! (Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!) (2)
  • Soukyuu no Fafner: Exodus (Fafner in the Azure) (2)
  • Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken s2 (2)
  • Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic (s2) (2)
  • Koufuku Graffiti (Gourmet Girl Graffiti) (2)
  • Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou (2)
  • Cross Ange (1)
  • Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry (Chivalry of a Failed Knight) (1)
  • Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend) (1)
  • Aldnoah Zero s2 (1)
  • Baby Steps s2 (1)
  • DanMachi (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) (1)
  • Etotama (1)
  • Grisaia no Meikyuu + Rakuen (The Fruit of Grisaia SP+s2) (1)
  • Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan) (1)
  • Nanatsu no Taizai (The Seven Deadly Sins) (1)
  • Ninja Slayer From Animation (1)
  • Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold (1)
  • Show By Rock!! (1)
  • Teekyuu s4+s5+s6+Takamiya spin-off (1)
  • Young Black Jack (1)
  • Kantai Collection -KanColle- (1)
  • Rolling Girls (1)
  • Tokyo Ghoul Root A (s2) (1)
  • Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan) (1)
  • Miss Monochrome the Animation s2+s3 (1)
  • Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru (Beautiful Bones: Sakurako's Investigation) (1)
  • Sidonia no Kishi s2 (Knights of Sidonia) (1)
  • Sore ga Seiyuu (Seiyu's Life) (1)
(Unweighted votes, weights used as tie-breaker)

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 6, 2016

• Locked thread