Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you can compare the rift to a smartphone at all, the S5 costs $256 in parts to make and sells for 3x that. The rift has two oled screens similar to the S5 which are undoubtedly the most expensive component, costing ~$150 in total. Anything below $4-500 is selling at a loss, but who knows what the actual price will be. I expect $499 myself

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

so ill have to switch to the mechanical keyboard instead of my chicklet wireless keyboard, drat thing near hooks your index fingers
i think the majority of goons sit at their computers long enough that muscle memory will keep their greasy fingers in place, tbh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I am just a small man with the small dream to play both amerotruck simulator and elite dangerous in vr this year

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

none of you pointed out that Microsoft released Windows 7 drivers for the Xbox One controller.

do I have to do all the work?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I expect $499 myself

the old three and a half figgies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ludwig van Halen posted:

and since the only good vr games are going to be 1st person, a mouse would be better than a controller wouldn't it?

it's true the only good vr games will be in first person but they will all put you in a cockpit or driver's seat of some kind so a controller is appropriate

Al! posted:

it comes with an external video card is my understanding lol

the external box seems to have something to do with frame interpolation and simultaneous tv/vr output

the way to do vr on ps4-class hardware is to back off on the effects, countless gigaflops are spent on modern rendering for stuff whose absence wouldn't detract from the game all that much like aberration or depth of field tricks (which we've learned from movies are really hard to integrate with stereoscopic 3d anyway) or parallax occlusion maps. leave the photorealism to monster pcs and make a fun game that leverages vr's strengths and no one will care that it looks ten years old

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blackula69 posted:

you are moving around constantly in VR, which fucks with your sense of space. it's not hard to type without looking, it's difficult to type without looking when the expected visual feedback isn't there and you're getting other inputs at the same time

so what you guys are saying is that oculus shouldn't have included a controller that probably cost them $10 because instead they should have depended on users having janky old busted 360 controllers or some motionjoy poo poo, or being able to use their keyboards without looking while in VR

this is why cjs don't make business decisions
point taken on sensory confusion

as to what i'm actually saying - there should be an option to opt out from bundled controller, that's it

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

just bury me in vr flight sims and leave me there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Al! posted:

xinput is currently the gold standard for PC games because it Just Works. it is still a painful process, in tyool 2015 to get a ps4 controller working on and even then games will never recognize it properly because there is no PlayStation input standard for Windows

dual shock is garbage for retards. use a 360 controller or maybe now an xbone controller if they've released the dongle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

one thing I've wondered about the oculus rift is when they say woah you've gotta have a good computer for this do they mean to be able to play the most graphically intense games at 120fps or are developers already adjusting the lod for the oculus as part of integrating support

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the xbone wireless controller w/ adapter is $75. lol just get a 360 wireless controller w/ adapter for like $40 instead

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Al! posted:

one thing I've wondered about the oculus rift is when they say woah you've gotta have a good computer for this do they mean to be able to play the most graphically intense games at 120fps or are developers already adjusting the lod for the oculus as part of integrating support

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

it's true the only good vr games will be in first person but they will all put you in a cockpit or driver's seat of some kind so a controller is appropriate

if i'm gonna play a vr driving game, i'd rather use a wheel and leave the controller in a drawer

kalstrams posted:

as to what i'm actually saying - there should be an option to opt out from bundled controller, that's it

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Liver Disaster posted:

yeah

cant wait to play ffxiv from the warm embrace of my vr headset
im already thiiiiiiis close to just not eating at all so ill be dead soon

3d catgirls :allears:

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

considering, for the price of the vr and peripherals you can get a little roadster or a vw beetle and have all the exhilaration of going really fast without actually going fast
also your not playing video games, which is a plus

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
the whole point of the bundled controller is to get everyone using a standardized input to allow devs to target that standardized input. if you want your bespoke artisanal vr experience, you can still do that. this will ensure that everyone who gets the headset gets the appropriate controller.

nerds complaining about $10, smdh

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kuvo posted:

3d catgirls :allears:

right? ill be so fuckin cute all the roes are gonna line up to pat my head

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Al! posted:

i don't know what you mean by adjusting the lod but like the rift is incredibly taxing on GPUs because of its latency demands and the need to maintain 90+ FPS, let alone the resolution and graphical detail

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is the rift or vive likely to be better because i just wanna play elite dangerous in vr. very horned

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

rear end creed's navigation control system was designed around the boxy environments of the first 2 games where consoles couldn't deal with object complexity. then in ac4 (and maybe ac3) they started adding more detail to the environments but forgot to disable certain things for navigation so you end up with your dude trying to run on a dock but then he randomly jumps sideways onto a decorative lobster trap and then off the dock onto random debris in the water.

eh, better than just randomly jumping into the water for no real reason, but its p accurate regardless

in ac3, they redid it so basically all the non-vertical freerunning was a lot more effortless and would autopath, rather than the player manually running

mostly so they could accommodate the wilderness frontier areas which were a first for the series

they did actually rework vertical controls to be better in unity to autopath as well, so you can just climb onto a wall, and arno will go up if you hold A, or go down if you hold B

in syndicate, you get a grappling hook, which even further simplifies things

Al! posted:

video games have a lot of scenes where you, the biggest single-handed murderer of human beings in history, condemn the bad guy for their violent and ruthless methods

I know this happens in action movies all the time but the heroes body count usually isn't in the high 1000s

far cry 4 has pagan condemn you for killing a ton of people, he's a good character

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why don't you clowns just say what you think in a normal non unfunny fuckwit way instead of doing quote edits also I eat cocks lol.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Blackula69 posted:

are you surprised? ill buy $800 gpu if i have money, but ill bleed to death before i do so without verifying that it's the cheapest of $800 gpus thatll do

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

triple sulk posted:

is the rift or vive likely to be better because i just wanna play elite dangerous in vr. very horned

:iiam: buy both

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

the whole point of the bundled controller is to get everyone using a standardized input to allow devs to target that standardized input. if you want your bespoke artisanal vr experience, you can still do that. this will ensure that everyone who gets the headset gets the appropriate controller.

microsoft already did this with the 360 controller and xinput

even insane people like me who use a ds4 on they pc map the buttons to the xbox standard
the point is, everyone interested in this already owns a xinput compatible controller

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the 360/xbone controller is already the standard input layout for windows controllers so including either controller would have been fine but using the xbone makes more sense cause just cause its newer.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Liver Disaster posted:

so ill have to switch to the mechanical keyboard instead of my chicklet wireless keyboard, drat thing near hooks your index fingers
i think the majority of goons sit at their computers long enough that muscle memory will keep their greasy fingers in place, tbh

rappoo makes wireless mechanical keyboards so does napoo iirc.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i just hate how they rotated the buttons 90 degrees, X is on the bottom you assholes

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dodoman posted:

rappoo makes wireless mechanical keyboards so does napoo iirc.

noice, but two is enough for one desk for now

e: comes with yellow switches which i dont believe ive ever used, quiet is good though since im at the point where im using my headset for poo poo

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 4, 2016

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

elite is already listed as steamVR compatible in my steam library, take that for what you will.

the rift has been out for longer so it might have better support right now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
elite devs have stated it'll be compatible with both on release

it'll be down to driver support rather than hardware improvements, the only substantial hardware difference between the vive and the rift are the motion tracking tech, and the differences are whether the sensor is on the device or around the room; it's more for future expansion and edge cases as they both work fine for you either sitting in a chair or within a 2x2 meter space

the screens are identical and probably sourced similarly

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 4, 2016

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dodoman posted:

elite is already listed as steamVR compatible in my steam library, take that for what you will.

SteamVR games work with any VR hardware, including the Oculus and Vive.

The only way to make a game that works with the Vive is to use SteamVR, and then the game will automatically work with the Oculus with no extra effort. All VR games will end up using SteamVR except the few that Facebook bribes to be Oculus exclusive.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the 360/xbone controller is already the standard input layout for windows controllers so including either controller would have been fine but using the xbone makes more sense cause just cause its newer.

its a good controller

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i just bought a new sony bravia that has integrated psnow functionality that i'll never ever use :toot:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

has there ever been a speedrun race that was a race and not just one dude winning and another dude slowly falling further and further behind

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

has there ever been a speedrun race that was a race and not just one dude winning and another dude slowly falling further and further behind

yeah the mario kart race yesterday was really close, within 1 second of each other finishing after a 32 minute run

also the super mario 64 run after it got really close when they started on rainbow ride

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Pinterest Mom posted:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

This is already an impressive setup. There is no way this thing will cost less than $700. I'm guessing $1000+.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

the vive sucks and won't be out until after the rift, HTC doesn't know what they're doing

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Solfrann posted:

This is already an impressive setup. There is no way this thing will cost less than $700. I'm guessing $1000+.

that is a list of the recommended requirements.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

the vive sucks and won't be out until after the rift, HTC doesn't know what they're doing

everyone wants to walk around their living room with a blindfold around their head, dont they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

i mean, room-scale vr is a cool idea and i hope it works. but HTC and Valve aren't the ones to bring it to market.

they delayed it because of what they said was a big breakthrough in the technology so we'll see what that is. but i'm real skeptical

• Locked thread