Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll go further and say I really don't see any problem with Jake Lloyd's performance. He comes across as a believable nine year old kid trying to please the adults around him.

And Amidala is fine in the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

With Force Awakens, it's like "hooray... um, when does the next one come out?" It just ends. It's already done.

The prequels are eternal, and invincible.

I will be specific:

The prequels are very well-made movies that say the Jedis are dumb. They're a dumb loving cult. And of course this is absolutely true: joining a stupid cult is the whole appeal. "Use the force," right? "Go to a swamp and let an old man hit you with sticks until you hallucinate."

Consequently, fans want these films to be bad. Nobody likes being made fun of, after all. But the prequels simply aren't bad. They are good movies, that are making fun of you.

Prequel-hate is a square peg for a round hole. Fans hate the content, but try to attack the form - when the form is unassailable. And that is why this argument will never go away.

I'm going to be honest, I almost fell for your trolling and was about to point out how this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on The Internet.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, Jake Lloyd isn't as good an actor as the kids in Game of Thrones or something, but he did fine. I don't really understand why people hated him in particular, I think all the problems people had with him would be present no matter who was cast, because people generally don't like precocious kids in movies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think the terrible acting was largely because of the director and the fact a huge portion of their environments were green-screened. It's one thing to act convincing when a single element is being added in via special effects. It's something else entirely when everything is computer generated. Didn't Ian McKellen lament about all the green-screens on the Hobbit (as opposed to the more practical effects in LOTR)?

Maybe actors have developed new tricks to looking convincing when everything is being added in later (i.e. Game of Thrones), but it was all still pretty new back then and it showed.

Beeez posted:

I think Natalie Portman is the only major actor whose performance seems heavily impacted by her contempt for the production....

She also hates being contractual bound to Marvel movies. You'd think after the prequels she'd know not to get stuck in another franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Yeah, Jake Lloyd isn't as good an actor as the kids in Game of Thrones or something, but he did fine. I don't really understand why people hated him in particular, I think all the problems people had with him would be present no matter who was cast, because people generally don't like precocious kids in movies.

Jake Lloyd was just a convenient target and I feel really awful for him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

She also hates being contractual bound to Marvel movies. You'd think after the prequels she'd know not to get stuck in another franchise.

Curious about this, what is she limited from taking part in aside from other super hero films/franchises? And why does she hate it, she has a minor role in a very successful franchise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think the terrible acting was largely because of the director and the fact a huge portion of their environments were green-screened. It's one thing to act convincing when a single element is being added in via special effects. It's something else entirely when everything is computer generated. Didn't Ian McKellen lament about all the green-screens on the Hobbit (as opposed to the more practical effects in LOTR)?

Maybe actors have developed new tricks to looking convincing when everything is being added in later (i.e. Game of Thrones), but it was all still pretty new back then and it showed.

Dear god these ideas never die. They have a life of their own!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm going to be honest, I almost fell for your trolling and was about to point out how this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on The Internet.

Actually, it's a well-written post that is making fun of you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually, it's a well-written post that is making fun of you.

It's hard to imagine anyone being particularly upset by being made fun of someone so desperate for attention they frantically post regurgitated Zizek quotes on a comedy website's movie subforum.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kiimo posted:

Unfortunate to see the same stupid arguments spill over into the spoiler thread, is nowhere safe?

You can try any other forum on the internet, I think even TBB is usually safe.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Goddamn, this thread now makes up 100% of my ignore list members. Well done nerds.

Watched the movie again last night and got a chuckle out of Rey's first interaction with BB-8 where she mocks his "classified" backstory by saying, "Oh yeah me too, big mystery." JJ is not subtle but he is clever. Also starting to doubt Luke being her father, though no other possibility makes any sense to me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder if Snoke was the origin of Vader's spirit "showing Ben the Dark Side". Easy enough to project that vision. You just have to create a Force Proxy.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I haven't heard of that one before but I agree that I really don't believe the real deal Vader showed himself to Kylo ever, he just wants it too badly.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why would Anakin decide to go Sith again as a force ghost? He was a Good Guy when he died. it doesn't make any sense for him to actually be coaching Kylo.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Many works of art/literature/film explore the nature of good and evil, and that exploration is at the heart of the Star Wars movies, trouble is they're really loving bad at it. That's mostly on Lucas with his poo poo story and writing. The best thing Lucas got right in RotJ was making sure Vader was dead at the end of it. At the last moment Vader had a revalation, or a reawakining or whatever the gently caress you want to call it, but did that one moment wash away all the bad poo poo he did? I mean the dude was a literal mass child murder. Adam Lanza with a lightsaber.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blistex posted:

Biggest gripe would have to be Captain Phasma. . . what was the point of that character except marketing? I'm wondering if we're going to find out that a lot of her scenes were left on the cutting room floor.

The prevailing theory is that she will be disgraced by her actions and spend the next movie or two on a personal mission to kill Finn. Which would be pretty interesting itt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why would Anakin decide to go Sith again as a force ghost? He was a Good Guy when he died. it doesn't make any sense for him to actually be coaching Kylo.

This is not anything 'canonical' but apparently the art book says that because he turned so close to death his ghost is trapped in some weird in-between state or something like that. There's concept art of a weird skull-like Vader face which is supposed to be Vader's ghost and didn't show up.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The helmet might be strong with the Dark Side the way that Dagobah cave is, or something like that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All of it is made up by Snoke. Han & Leia's acknowledgment of Snoke's role in turning Kylo amounts to this. All Snoke had to do, whenever he was a publicly known figure / not yet an official bad guy, was hand Kylo a Vader comic book & a copy of The Secret & a treasure map to the Endor funeral pyre. Done.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

It's hard to imagine anyone being particularly upset by being made fun of [by] someone so desperate for attention [that] they frantically post regurgitated Zizek quotes on a comedy website's movie subforum.

I agree; that is a strange fantasy.

The truth is even stranger.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Curious about this, what is she limited from taking part in aside from other super hero films/franchises? And why does she hate it, she has a minor role in a very successful franchise.

I think she just soured on it. Her choice for a director on Thor 2 got canned and she probably just didn't think the Marvel universe would be this big or go on this long.

Idris Elba reportedly hates his role in Thor as well, although he came back to 'clarify' his quotes and say how much he loved working for Marvel. It's all derivative of Alec Guinness hating his Obi-Wan character because it overshadowed his more serious work.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Has Idris Elba been overshadowed by his Marvel work? Most people seem to know him for being a sex symbol and shows like The Wire and Luther.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't even know Idris Elba was in Marvel movies. That's definitely not what he's known for.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thor was a pretty crappy movie, so I can understand why anyone who was in it would be grumpy about having to came back and do more of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they'll get Hayden Christensen back and he'll have to fight himself as Vader. All as force ghosts. And by maybe I mean no way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Maybe they'll get Hayden Christensen back and he'll have to fight himself as Vader. All as force ghosts. And by maybe I mean no way.

There's an ongoing rumor he's been in training for a cameo of some sort of Episode VIII.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

And Amidala is fine in the first one.

Princess Monotone?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I find it difficult to dislike child actors. The worse they are at acting, the more childlike (and natural) they come across. I only really dislike when a movie exploits the cuteness of a child, or makes terrible use of one, to score points with cunts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Red posted:

Princess Monotone?

Oh my god :golfclap:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sure, she's regal, detached, burdened, frustrated at her lack of agency, she's believable to me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

I find it difficult to dislike child actors. The worse they are at acting, the more childlike (and natural) they come across. I only really dislike when a movie exploits the cuteness of a child, or makes terrible use of one, to score points with cunts.

Force Awakens is kind of interesting for what it eliminates from its universe.

There are no children in the film.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Good. W.C Fields was right.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
2001 and Jurassic Park both have child characters.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

And they vaporized all the politicians lol the "emperor" literally dissolved the senate.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Are there children in the OT?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Ewoks.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

crowoutofcontext posted:

There is one on cloud city for a brief second.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

greatn posted:

Sure, she's regal, detached, burdened, frustrated at her lack of agency, she's believable to me.

She has no personality or actual character, or any real motivation or reasoning for her decisions or actions.

A.) If you watch Auralnauts' Jedi Party, the parody voice goes, in a perfect monotone match: "Thank you, magic trash can." to R2-D2. Her entire character is just being a princess, or a fake princess, depending on the situation.
B.) They ask people, in the Plinkett review, to describe her character. No one can come up with anything besides wearing tons of different outfits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

crowoutofcontext posted:

Not unless you count Ewoks. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

crowoutofcontext posted: