Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I am dual wielding claymores in ds2 and its loving awesome!

When I first played ds1 I fought the skeletons over and over like baby's first OoK until I murked those fuckers. It's weird how insane amounts of hours spent gaming doesn't prepare many people for these particular games, but they aren't that hard when you figure em out. Monster Hunter is similar, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I finally put in the time to learn the chikage and make a mostly bloodtinge, little bit of skill character, and it's a ton of fun. Really exhilarating to find spots for burst damage in the middle of Ludwig's crazy combos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah I am dual wielding claymores in ds2 and its loving awesome!

When I first played ds1 I fought the skeletons over and over like baby's first OoK until I murked those fuckers. It's weird how insane amounts of hours spent gaming doesn't prepare many people for these particular games, but they aren't that hard when you figure em out. Monster Hunter is similar, I guess.

It took me like 7 hours to beat 1-1 as a nublet, and I thought that level was gonna be like 1/3 of the game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

When I first got to firelunk I spent ages training myself on the skeletons until I decided to make my way into the catacombs and then noped the gently caress out of there and played normally.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i first tried to play ds1 like 5 years ago or whatever i got stuck on taurus demon and died probably ten times, and decided to come back to it later. like 4 months later i was hooked for life.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

when i first tried to play ds1 like 5 years ago or whatever i got stuck on taurus demon and died probably ten times, and decided to come back to it later. like 4 months later i was hooked for life.

This but I basically stopped right after the Undead Asylum. For some reason it just didn't click. Then I came back after getting bored with GW2 and ended up completely hooked, then later got a PS3 and played Demon's Souls and loved it even more

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I had the most trouble with ubdead burg because I did depraved first game, but I learned to be a rolling king there, somehow got the black knight sword and basically whomped all the way to the end of the game.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

shield users probably had a tough time, but id like to imagine that bloodborne has already turned them into superior gamers

I tried to go back to swording and boarding in DS2 after playing Bloodborne and I feel super sluggish and bad at the game now. Somebody posted in here that you have to level up ADP to really dodge anything which has been good to know

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played through the first part of DS1 again this past weekend to show it to a friend, and i blazed through the first part of burg up to the bonfire, and i was thinking back remembering how it felt impossible 5 years ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

In Training posted:

It took me like 7 hours to beat 1-1 as a nublet, and I thought that level was gonna be like 1/3 of the game.

in terms of how long it took me to beat, it almost was

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I had the most trouble with ubdead burg because I did depraved first game, but I learned to be a rolling king there, somehow got the black knight sword and basically whomped all the way to the end of the game.

I won the black knight sword lottery too and blindly swung that beast to victory. Eventually I just gave up on trying the other weapons

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

played demons first and my first memory of that game is being completely surprised by the tower knight boss fight and getting murdered with the billion souls i was carrying from 1-1

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I won the black knight sword lottery too and blindly swung that beast to victory. Eventually I just gave up on trying the other weapons

I actually got a halberd in the final dungeon and used that to kill gwynn.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
If you're dual wielding is it just a matter of rolling and dodging to avoid damage? I've been a good boy and not looked up hardly anything on my playthrougu of dark souls and I want to hear about new gaming styles.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

crunk dork posted:

If you're dual wielding is it just a matter of rolling and dodging to avoid damage? I've been a good boy and not looked up hardly anything on my playthrougu of dark souls and I want to hear about new gaming styles.

Rolling in dark souls is very strong.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Yeah. You put all your points into the main scaling stat of your bigass weapon of choice (likely strength) and endurance to max out your stamina, and then get really really good at dodging and obliterate everything without even being touched

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Ok so I'm doing levelling up rigt. I picked dex and its at like almost 30 and my str is at 15... Going to get it to 16 tonight and see how drake sword/bandit knife+10 combo suits me. Since it doesn't have stat scaling and I have a scimitar at +10 I wonder if it is even better at this point.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I have no idea why I never finished a playthrough of this game when I had it for PS3

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
what everyone else has said, and also make sure you can powerstance your weapons. i didn't even know it loving existed until my third playthrough, but if you hold stance change, and meet the requirements, you'll attack with both weapons at once and pump out a lot of damage alongside awesome movesets. you need to have two compatible weapons, and you need to meet 1.5x of the highest STR/DEX requirements for them. so if left hand is 10STR and 5DEX and right hand is 5STR and 10DEX, then your character would have to have 15 strength and 15 dex to power stance those particular items.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Are you trying to DW in dark souls 1? The only combination I remember for that are the gold/silver tracer dlc swords but you won't have power standing or anything

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

sector_corrector posted:

what everyone else has said, and also make sure you can powerstance your weapons. i didn't even know it loving existed until my third playthrough, but if you hold stance change, and meet the requirements, you'll attack with both weapons at once and pump out a lot of damage alongside awesome movesets. you need to have two compatible weapons, and you need to meet 1.5x of the highest STR/DEX requirements for them. so if left hand is 10STR and 5DEX and right hand is 5STR and 10DEX, then your character would have to have 15 strength and 15 dex to power stance those particular items.

He's playing dark souls 1 - it doesn't have power stance.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah I would have never figured that out on my own unless it was an accident. Sometimes my guy will do cool acrobatic poo poo when I'm chaining scimitar attacks but I can't tell if it's random or I'm doing something to trigger it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh, whoops, yeah power stancing isn't in DS1. you just have two different movesets in each hand.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

crunk dork posted:

Yeah I would have never figured that out on my own unless it was an accident. Sometimes my guy will do cool acrobatic poo poo when I'm chaining scimitar attacks but I can't tell if it's random or I'm doing something to trigger it

scimitar has a special flip attack that replaces your kick. Some other weapons do too

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

crunk dork posted:

i like to keep my equip burden at/under 16.6% to get a super fast roll. 25% is still great, but you really wanna go Sonic fast if youre rolling for a living

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, the fast roll thing in DS1 alongside the general uselessness of anything except specifically min/maxed armor makes me love bloodborne even more. not having an encumbrance stat is fantastic.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

no one knows what encumberance is gonna be like in ds3 and im praying they just keep armor as a fashion statement cause the game plays so much better that way

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress upgradeable armor.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

i like to keep my equip burden at/under 16.6% to get a super fast roll. 25% is still great, but you really wanna go Sonic fast if youre rolling for a living

Cool, I wondered what the bottom threshold was. Am I imagining poo poo or does the black hemmed skirt make me run slower than the shadow garb/black leather pants that are almost identical in weight? It feels sluggish 2 me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If they're not exactly the same weight it could be enough to tip your encumberance on way or another

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

crunk dork posted:

Cool, I wondered what the bottom threshold was. Am I imagining poo poo or does the black hemmed skirt make me run slower than the shadow garb/black leather pants that are almost identical in weight? It feels sluggish 2 me

theres another breakpoint at 8.3%, though the true bottom threshhold is 0%

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad they got rid of all that stuff and hope it remains so for DSIII.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Was demons the only one that had gender specific armor

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I think the skirt is lighter than any leather item I have. I probably just am not used to the way it looks and it's throwing me off thank u all for the insight

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

current DS1 playthrough is with the Wanderer starting equipment, only putting points into dex and end, and its cool

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

current DS1 playthrough is with the Wanderer starting equipment, only putting points into dex and end, and its cool

It's nice not having to worry about partying anything because u can dodge most stuff because I really suck at parrying and don't like to practice.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

Was demons the only one that had gender specific armor

as far as gender-limited sets yeah. some of the sets look different based on gender in das, like all of the starter armors

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo, finally took down maria. psn appears to be down, so it threw an error trying to upload the video of my fight...

i finally started to realize all of her tells, and her ranges. i used augur on her first form and predicted her attacks to stagger a few times, and then in her second and third phases i basically just figured out how to dodge and where to stand to heal when i hosed up. i also threw in a cursed bloodgem with health drain that upped my damage by 25% and i think that helped. man, what a badass fight... it's sort of how i felt after finally beating (ds1 spoiler) artorias

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dude good luck on the next boss. [Groundhog Day voice] It's a doozy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
since psn is down, and fishing hamlet seems so badass, i'm going to wait for it to come back online before advancing. messages are one of my favorite parts of figuring out a new area, so doing it without them seems halfassed.