Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No. It's a Compile Heart game and the kindest thing you can say about them is that they can be played.

omega quintet has a pretty good combat system imo, and the music is pretty good, but nothing else about it stands out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Forest Thief Pud posted:

It's the worst controlling game since Vesperia, and combat in general feels incredibly stiff even compared to the battle engine used in Symphonia and the like, with options like dodging taking away actions in your chain and being limited to only four actions period unless you burn a BG to extend it midway through or play around with the annoying equipment skill system to give yourself combo extension skills. Also, it's probably the one game in the franchise that favors having you play as the main character the most since probably Legendia(although unlike Legendia, you don't miss out on an important core mechanic entirely for doing so), and one of the characters pretty much exists to actively hamper you because of one of the gimmicks surrounding party composition.

In other stuff, story and characters felt slightly above average for Tales, but the story isn't going to win awards and I stopped right after the fire trial so there's a decent chance both start going to poo poo after that point.
imo the game picks up a lot after the fire trial in terms of gameplay

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Well, there's Rogue Galaxy. Even though, it is a re-mastered PS2 game from 2005 and it cost 15 bucks, I am currently enjoying it. It's basically Star Wars the JRPG

Unfortunately, I've still got my PS2, along with pretty much all the PS2-era RPGs I'd ever want, including Rogue Galaxy. :v:

At this point I should probably just pick up a PS3 for cheap so I can finally play all the exclusives I've missed out on.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Ciaphas posted:

I've been going through the last dozen pages looking for opinions on Tales of Zestiria 'cos I'm bored and haven't played a Tales since Vesperia--thoughts, anyone?--and stumbled on

I haven't played a ton of Tales games, but Zestiria is hands down the worst. The story line feels half assed, with huge plot holes and continuity errors towards the end. It feels rushed, and large parts of the game have clearly been removed. The systems they establish early for how the world is supposed to work quickly just disappear, and the equipment system actually felt like it was punishing me for getting a new piece of gear.

I would suggest that you not waste your time with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zestiria is like the 4th or 5th best tales game, easily

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

zestiria is like the 4th or 5th best tales game, easily

this man gets it.

it has some faults but it is still better than most tales games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really, really like Zestira but in the context that I haven't played a tales game since Abyss.

Trying out the ps3 exclusives, I'd maybe put it at 6th at best.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really liked Zestiria but it is basically a Tales of Graces without the F or Xillia without Xillia 2. The game really needed a remaster or follow up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I really liked Zestiria but it is basically a Tales of Graces without the F. The game really needed a remaster.
yeah. i hope it gets one.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
I can't say Zestiria's anywhere near one of the best Tales games, since the combat just felt way too stiff and rigid unless you went really deep into the god awful equipment enhancement system. After a bunch of games where you can pretty much go wild with the battle system after a little bit of time and work, being limited to 4 actions in a chain before being told to sit there and wait a second or two is frustrating, which held true even after 30 hours and it never felt like that aspect was ever going to change unless you spent time grinding for special equipment bonuses.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zesty's combat was cool if you focused on what it was actually about (juggling elemental weaknesses)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All you need to do is stack 4 of any skill to get an instance of exceed, it's not exactly rocket surgery and only a bit of progress is needed for your first one. The second one you might have to think about and use the in game search tool.

You can basically ignore everything else about the item system unless you increase the difficulty. And even then you can ignore about 90% of the skills.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The system for Zestiria is easy enough, it's just presented in a way that's much more complicated than it actually it. That and it limits your customization a bit.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What's a recommended starting point for Tales if I've never been able to play much of one in the past? I tried to muscle my way through Tales of Phantasia because I really wanted to play them in order but that seems like... a distinctly bad idea.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a recommended starting point for Tales if I've never been able to play much of one in the past? I tried to muscle my way through Tales of Phantasia because I really wanted to play them in order but that seems like... a distinctly bad idea.

Anything past Vesperia or Abyss. The older ones before that are basically unplayable due to a lack of quality of life enhancements / terrible 2d battle system.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

there's no definitive best game, they all have their own ups and downs.

the two id recommend the most are:

graces f: has a slow start but once it gets going the combat is amazing. the plot is really bad but not offensively so or needlessly complicated or anything, it's just really simple and really dumb. but the characters are pretty funny and bounce off each other decently.

xillia: has pretty good combat, an okay story, pretty good characters, and pretty decent humor. that said it has a pretty rushed third act.

just pick which of those sounds best to you.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Play Vesperia and then stop because every loving tales game is the exact same goddamn thing with a new coat of paint.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

there's no definitive best game, they all have their own ups and downs.

id recommend graces f if all you care about is gameplay and xillia if you want a full plot/gameplay/characters package. that said the strengths of the tales series are its combat and its character interactions, the only tales game I'd say has an out-and-out good plot is Abyss.

Counterpoint: I think Abyss is terrible, especially in plot. The game throws dozens of nonsense terms at you, the characters are all either unlikeable twats or stupid idiots, and except the subquests are near-impossible to find (though I suppose that's par for the course in almost any Tales game).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Play Vesperia and then stop because every loving tales game is the exact same goddamn thing with a new coat of paint.
not really lol

and even if you were going with that argument vesperia has some of the worst combat in the series

Morpheus posted:

Counterpoint: I think Abyss is terrible, especially in plot. The game throws dozens of nonsense terms at you, the characters are all either unlikeable twats or stupid idiots, and except the subquests are near-impossible to find (though I suppose that's par for the course in almost any Tales game).

'fonon' is the word for magic. congrats youve figured out every single 'nonsense term' in abyss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, you're gonna get so many conflicting opinions. I liked all of the ones I played, but I especially enjoyed Vesperia. I liked Destiny 2/Eternia and Phantasia, too, but I thought their encounter rates were way too astronomically high, and Phantasia's final dungeon is... calling it a nightmare is an understatement.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, you're gonna get so many conflicting opinions. I liked all of the ones I played, but I especially enjoyed Vesperia. I liked Destiny 2/Eternia and Phantasia, too, but I thought their encounter rates were way too astronomically high, and Phantasia's final dungeon is... calling it a nightmare is an understatement.

Heh and it's because of this that I ask this question about every year and a half, get overwhelmed by choice, say 'well gently caress if there's no agreement on one that's good for beginners maybe none of them really are all that great' and play anything else I have handy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can't say I've ever not enjoyed a Tales game I've played, even the older ones. Though none of them are perfect either.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

Heh and it's because of this that I ask this question about every year and a half, get overwhelmed by choice, say 'well gently caress if there's no agreement on one that's good for beginners maybe none of them really are all that great' and play anything else I have handy.

Xillia, then graces f, then Xillia 2. Then stop because you just played the 3 best tales games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason there's no consensus on which ones are great is because there's been like 4 tales dev teams over the years, tagging out at various points. it isn't really like, say, dragon quest, where it's iterative, its a bunch of different RPGs with different strengths and weaknesses where the main things shared are skits and real-time combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the reason there's no consensus on which ones are great is because there's been like 4 tales dev teams over the years, tagging out at various points. it isn't really like, say, dragon quest, where it's iterative, its a bunch of different RPGs with different strengths and weaknesses where the main things shared are skits and real-time combat.

Yeah, this. Different Tales games excel in different areas. Many people will say Graces F has the best combat for example but also one of the weaker stories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I really need to finish Vesperia, I got all the way up to the last dungeon and just... stopped.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I really need to finish Vesperia, I got all the way up to the last dungeon and just... stopped.
tales games always have pretty bad final dungeons

xillia's setting up a teleport maze only to just give up on it immediately was hilarious though

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Ah that's helpful to know, and explains some of the wildly varying opinions. I guess I'll just take a chance on whichever one sounds or looks interesting out of the recommendations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Anything past Vesperia or Abyss. The older ones before that are basically unplayable due to a lack of quality of life enhancements / terrible 2d battle system.

I loved Tales of Phantasia in the SNES back in the day

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've played my fair share of JRPGs but the Tales series is one of the big ones I've never even touched.

Too many game series and not enough hours in this world.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales is really good if you're a japanese woman aged 13-40 who wants to admire a bunch of cute boys

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

or if you like wacky scientist girls...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

or if you like wacky scientist girls...
that's only in tales of graces

rita isn't that wacky

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's iteration, but there's like 4 different variants of iteration and then just giving up and throwing poo poo into a pot when they stopped having multiple dev teams.

I'd say just try a bunch and see what you like. If it's just a matter of wanting to try them cheaply, then Vesperia is like $15 on Xbox Live and I imagine Symphonia will be like $20 on Steam when it comes out. The PS3 ones go on sale digitally often enough.

Don't bother with spinoffs and portable ones before Hearts on the DS. And even Hearts has the remake on the Vita (which actually got translated).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So since I'm getting NieR at last should I actually try those Drakengard games?

I just don't understand how this guy made precisely one good game out of...4? And itdoesn't even sound like anything is particularly different. The bits and pieces I've picked up on conversations here and in TDI threads is that the guy is a fan of GRIMDARK or rather grim derp where everything sucks just because and congratulations you doomed the world what a great twist.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

tales is really good if you're a japanese woman aged 13-40 who wants to admire a bunch of cute boys

who is the cutest boy? keele imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nier is honestly not a great game. It's an interesting game. All of them are interesting games. The reason people are excited about Nier 2 is that it is the first that has a real chance of being a good game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nier's an okay game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nier is a very good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

The bits and pieces I've picked up on conversations here and in TDI threads is that the guy is a fan of GRIMDARK or rather grim derp where everything sucks just because and congratulations you doomed the world what a great twist.

Watch and learn from the master himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY