Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Al! posted:

Connection to the land? Hell if they had even gone camping a little bit anywhere, they'd know to at least be prepared for cold nights. Just because you(r illegal immigrant ranch hands) work the land, doesn't mean you have any respect or love for it.

I mean, just checking the 7-day forecast for your destination is trip planning 101 level stuff, and they couldn't even do that right.

"Whoops, the land here is white, not forest-patterned, and my fruit of the loom, 100% cotton, $5 per dozen white gym socks aren't cutting it in subzero weather!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They can get started by eating all of the taxidermied migratory birds stored at the headquarters:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Abner Cadaver II posted:

This is gonna get very Oregon Trail very quickly.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spaceman Future! posted:

So who is gonna go out and occupy the minor bundy's house while he is occupying the federal building? Or at least you know, burgle the poo poo out of it I bet he left a fortune in guns behind.

Robbing a home left empty around the holidays? Sounds like a job for the Wet Bandits.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ansel autisms posted:

They can get started by eating all of the taxidermied migratory birds stored at the headquarters:

With all those eggs they're layin', we won't need to eat em.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Just so people understand you want cops to storm a building and shoot a bunch of people because they disagree with you politically. Just want to make sure everyone sees your post for what it is.

I mean come on people, if Occupy happened in the middle of loving nowhere nobody would have given a poo poo about it either. The persecution complex and crab bucket mentality here would make a tea partier blush.

We're not in the same bucket as these folks. Nice try though.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Here lies Ammon

Peperony and chease

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lotka Volterra posted:

Of course. I'm sure that most of us goons that enjoy the outdoors have much greater appreciation for the places these militia idiots say were "stolen" from them than they do, regardless of where we live.
You probably appreciate it for its like, life and beauty and poo poo. These guys just want a chunk of terrain they can claim mineral and water rights from.

I suppose I can see why people living in the boondocks get frustrated with federal land use regulations but I also gather that if we let them go whole hog slaw dog on the Western landscape it would rapidly become barren and dead, losing a range of unique species and, at best, providing several years of meager funding for these idiots before they have no hope at all.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RIP to those who died.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

To be fair, they went Banker and spent all their money on bullets instead of supplies, which was viable in 1848, however in 2016 there aren't any buffalo for these idiots to shoot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Seems the Bundys lost another valuable ally:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/oath-keepers-urge-members-back-oregon-standoff-opposite-bundy-ranch

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

:lol:

BabelFish posted:

Update on the Oregon militia standoff: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/twice-sentenced_ranchers_expec.html#incart_big-photo

quote:

The Oregon Department of Transportation triggered alarm in the community with what would ordinarily be a routine traffic advisory. The agency's email warning to the public warned that snow plows weren't clearing two highways – both key to reaching the refuge.

This is going to be the most effortless siege in history.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

quote:

the current standoff is being “manufactured by potheads who want a fight”

unsurprisingly, all he knows about pot he got from Reefer Madness

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This is going to be the most effortless siege in history.
[/quote]

While this is funny, it doesn't look like any snow is in the forcast, definitely not enough to prevent pickup trucks from driving around:

http://www.wunderground.com/us/or/burns

They are pretty temperate year-around looks like. Every month has an average low temp of above freezing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nessus posted:

You probably appreciate it for its like, life and beauty and poo poo. These guys just want a chunk of terrain they can claim mineral and water rights from.

I suppose I can see why people living in the boondocks get frustrated with federal land use regulations but I also gather that if we let them go whole hog slaw dog on the Western landscape it would rapidly become barren and dead, losing a range of unique species and, at best, providing several years of meager funding for these idiots before they have no hope at all.

The sad bit is that evil environmentalists and scientists are incredibly willing to work with ranchers if they're not huge assholes, e.g. this ranch in Utah by Canyonlands. The reason these people find that everyone treats them like poo poo is because they're assholes who think that the land is theirs and theirs only.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Salt Fish posted:

While this is funny, it doesn't look like any snow is in the forcast, definitely not enough to prevent pickup trucks from driving around:

http://www.wunderground.com/us/or/burns

They are pretty temperate year-around looks like. Every month has an average low temp of above freezing.

Their global warming strategy is starting to pan out.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Entirely possible that it's enough to stop their pickup trucks designed for hauling, not offroading.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lotka Volterra posted:

The sad bit is that evil environmentalists and scientists are incredibly willing to work with ranchers if they're not huge assholes, e.g. this ranch in Utah by Canyonlands. The reason these people find that everyone treats them like poo poo is because they're assholes who think that the land is theirs and theirs only.
That involves cooperation which waters down my sense of total dominance over the swath of scrub I have claimed. Good day, sir!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ansel autisms posted:

Entirely possible that it's enough to stop their pickup trucks designed for hauling, not offroading.

Never bet against a hick's ability to have a kick-rear end pickup truck.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Local federal law enforcement, surely?

quote:

The White House on Monday referred to an armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon as a “local law enforcement matter.”

Spokesman Josh Earnest’s comments come even though the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has taken charge of the response to the incident along with state and local agencies.
“Ultimately this is a local law enforcement matter and the FBI is monitoring the situation and offering support to local law enforcement officials,” Earnest said.

The spokesman added that President Obama is “aware” of the situation and said there are no federal employees at risk.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/264673-white-house-calls-oregon-standoff-a-local-law-enforcement

This seems dumb. Hard to imagine local law enforcement in rural Oregon are equipped to do much of anything, and god forbid they try and it really would turn into a bloodbath.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Salt Fish posted:

as a resident of hick country, never underestimate a hick's ability to flip a pickup

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xandu posted:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/264673-white-house-calls-oregon-standoff-a-local-law-enforcement

This seems dumb. Hard to imagine local law enforcement in rural Oregon are equipped to do much of anything, and god forbid they try and it really would turn into a bloodbath.

If the FBI really has yet to set up a basic circumvallation of these dipshits and their birdwatching fort, I really have to question the competence of every level of the federal response to this.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CommanderApaul posted:

Just got an email that they're closing our federal building in Corvallis, OR due to inclement weather after they were delayed for 2 hours due to ice. It's 5 hours away from Burns, but hopefully these asshats are going to get a nice taste of PNW winter weather later this evening.

They aren't in Oregon Valley winter, their in Alvord Desert.

The day the protest started it was 6 degrees outside, snowing, and severe winds, they're going to be very very miserable in the coming weeks.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

zeal posted:

If the FBI really has yet to set up a basic circumvallation of these dipshits and their birdwatching fort, I really have to question the competence of every level of the federal response to this.

A decision like that was almost assuredly made at the highest level and is more likely political than anything else.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Xandu posted:

If he ends up turning over a NWR to a dozen or so hicks with guns because he cannot muster the will to deal with it, he's essentially saying that all federal lands out West are fair game for these people.

I was promised "I don't give a gently caress" Obama for 2016, not this poo poo

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

They aren't in Oregon Valley winter, their in Alvord Desert.

The day the protest started it was 6 degrees outside, snowing, and severe winds, they're going to be very very miserable in the coming weeks.

They're not in the Alvord Desert - the Alvord is purely within the rain shadow of Steens Mt. They're currently on the southern edge of Malheur Lake.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Are these guys even from Oregon or are they all from out of state? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they all had pickups suited for the Nevada desert and no snow tires between them.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Are these guys even from Oregon or are they all from out of state? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they all had pickups suited for the Nevada desert and no snow tires between them.

Out of state and apparently not even requested by the arson ranchers' families

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

A decision like that was almost assuredly made at the highest level and is more likely political than anything else.

Like hyping San Bernadino as 'terrorism' while actively avoiding that label for the Charleston shooting?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They're almost all from out of state. Nevada desert does get similar snowfall, fwiw.

For some perspective on the people out there, "Narrows" is just a small store and RV park and almost everything else is a junction between roads at best.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

McDowell posted:

Like hyping San Bernadino as 'terrorism' while actively avoiding that label for the Charleston shooting?

Yes, although I don't love your examples. I would hardly say people were hyping San Bernadino as terrorism until it became abundantly clear they were supporting ISIS. FBI repeatedly refused to make any statements for days on whether or not it was terrorism and a lot of people seemed to think it was just a workplace shooting until that no longer made sense.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zeal posted:

Out of state and apparently not even requested by the arson ranchers' families

there's actually controversy over this. the leader of the oathkeepers says that the family doesn't want them there, but bundy responded by saying that the family has accepted their punishment, yet they still support bundy in this action to prevent it from happening to other people. so in short, all of these groups of armed men are completely uncoordinated and have no idea what the gently caress is going on. it's like watching a bunch of nerds from the stolen valor videos trying to run a fighting force.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xandu posted:

I suspect it's trying to tell the militia "We're not impressed. You dipshits aren't worth our time."

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I wonder if the USPS will refuse to deliver mail/packages to a federal facility that is closed. I'd imagine that they'd normally be setup to have mail for the facility held until it reopened in springtime. Could make their "resupply via internet begging" plan even more of a bust.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
For anyone wondering: the unincorporated community of Voltage is definitely not cool enough to deserve that name.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Yes, although I don't love your examples. I would hardly say people were hyping San Bernadino as terrorism until it became abundantly clear they were supporting ISIS. FBI repeatedly refused to make any statements for days on whether or not it was terrorism and a lot of people seemed to think it was just a workplace shooting until that no longer made sense.

Actually I'm trying to make the point that local offices have some discretion. San Bernadino was as much a workplace shooting as it was terrorism.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Xandu posted:

I think local law enforcement is very capable of sitting back and watching a bunch of dumbasses become a national laughingstock.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why exactly are these men not being evicted? Is there any rhyme or reason to it beyond not legitimizing their dumb movement with a response? They're occupying a federal building, yes? Really feels like there's a law against that somewhere.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Volkerball posted:

Why exactly are these men not being evicted? Is there any rhyme or reason to it beyond not legitimizing their dumb movement with a response? They're occupying a federal building, yes? Really feels like there's a law against that somewhere.

Waco, Ruby Ridge, white privilege, are guns, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

Yeah why aren't the BLM rushing out to get shot at and die.

• Locked thread