Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

Can you use both the M.2 SSD and the 2.5'' drive slot simultaneously?

Yes, because M.2 is basically PCIe, so really you are just adding an expansion card that will be treated separately from the actual SATA controller, but does not override the SATA controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That option has been supported by many other laptops in the recent past so it would not surprise me one bit.

If you need a bunch of drive bays and battery life, you may want to look at the slightly less sexy T series Thinkpads. They have hot swappable batteries.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hadlock posted:

That option has been supported by many other laptops in the recent past so it would not surprise me one bit.

If you need a bunch of drive bays and battery life, you may want to look at the slightly less sexy T series Thinkpads. They have hot swappable batteries.

Yeah. I have a T430s and will probably only replace it in another year or two but I'm annoyed that I can't get a 14 inch Thinkpad with an ultrabay anymore. Come on Lenovo, just let me fork over €2500 for a modernised X300 already, I can't be the only nerd who wants to plug in hard drives or optical drives or batteries depending on the use case.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

Yeah. I have a T430s and will probably only replace it in another year or two but I'm annoyed that I can't get a 14 inch Thinkpad with an ultrabay anymore. Come on Lenovo, just let me fork over €2500 for a modernised X300 already, I can't be the only nerd who wants to plug in hard drives or optical drives or batteries depending on the use case.

:colbert: I want a new W700DS

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Anyone here used the new Dell Chromebook 13 yet? Looks to be pretty excellent, and now that YNAB has a web-only client I have no reason to not switch to a Chromebook exclusively.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

blowfish posted:

Yeah. I have a T430s and will probably only replace it in another year or two but I'm annoyed that I can't get a 14 inch Thinkpad with an ultrabay anymore.

You don't even want two ultrabays.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The x220/x230 had a pretty sweet battery option, in addition to the swappable six cell li-ion battery, they also offered a 10 hour li-poly "slice battery" that clipped to the bottom of the laptop, sort of like that new iPhone 6S external battery case. Between the 9 cell and the slice battery Lenovo claimed up to 24 hours battery life under ideal conditions. I think you could hot swap the rear and slice batteries independently too.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Thanks all for your suggestions but I couldn't help myself, the X1 is the only notebook that has turned my head. I was only planning on an i5 with 8GB, and was going to wait to see what the next iteration brought, but I couldn't pass up this sale price (which is around $1730 US) for a beefed-up model.

I know there are still laptops with better value for money, but this is the only one that ticks all my boxes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
What's the group consensus on the new Surface? With the Nvidia graphics?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can save like $500 by adding your own SSD/RAM

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

CommieGIR posted:

What's the group consensus on the new Surface? With the Nvidia graphics?

Great product but it is over priced and has some quirks. They get stupidly expensive if want 16gb of ram.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: I want a new W700DS

I remember wanting this laptop so badly.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Thanks folks for, a few pages back, recommending a Fire TV rather than a cheap laptop to function as a basic HTPC and its own file store. There was some pain finding relevant apps that work - many apps' interfaces are inconsiderate of the "up down left right" controls, in the same way that Windows things often neglect to properly deal with keyboard-only support, with buttons tabbing in the wrong order or inaccessible. But once I found the right selection of things, it's doing the job great, and even with the addition of a 128GB card it's still $50 cheaper than a cheap used laptop would have been, and more convenient.

Now all I need is, for my non-entertainment uses, an HDMI monocular eye-mounted display of at least 720p, and a standalone trackpoint on a hand-strap (so the blob can be thumb-operated on your knuckle, and two buttons on the palm of your hand can be operated with your middle or ring finger). Pretty sure neither of these things exist in any reasonable way; the display might exist as a special-ordered $5000 or so thing, and there doesn't seem to be *any* kind of standalone trackpoint, they only exist between G and H keys. The jerks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

Pretty sure neither of these things exist in any reasonable way; the display might exist as a special-ordered $5000 or so thing, and there doesn't seem to be *any* kind of standalone trackpoint, they only exist between G and H keys. The jerks.

Projects exist to excise the trackpoint from a thinkpad keyboard and wire it up to an arduino leonardo where it acts as a standard mouse.

https://github.com/feklee/usb-trackpoint

It looks like a used trackpoint keyboard runs about $50, new ones for $60; I'd be willing to make you one and put it in some sort of enclosure for $250 if it interests you that much. I've built a few robots using vaguely similar sensors on an arduino and arduino-like platforms. Shoot me a PM if you're interested

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

sarehu posted:

You don't even want two ultrabays.

What do you mean? I thought only the W541 had a cut-down ultrabay without the battery connector left.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
After playing with the Inspiron 15 and the XPS 15 at the Microsoft Store, I got the XPS 15. It just had that build quality that the Inspiron didn't.

Granted it was almost twice as expensive, but was on sale for 1499. The "Signature Edition" thing that Microsoft does is fantastic. Booting up a new laptop is normally a loving terrible experience of bloatware popping up everywhere. This went straight to a Desktop and Geforce Experience popped up with its new driver slider notification. That was it.

I'm going to be traveling for about 6 months and was in the market for a laptop with some gaming ability. I'll give it a week to see if If the build quality is worth the expense.

Edit: Seriously thinking about getting one at the Dell website without the Ultra HD screen. Its like $300 less.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 3, 2016

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

blowfish posted:

What do you mean? I thought only the W541 had a cut-down ultrabay without the battery connector left.

See the A30, A30p, A31(?), etc.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Laranzu posted:

Edit: Seriously thinking about getting one at the Dell website without the Ultra HD screen. Its like $300 less.

I seriously considered this too but after reading a lot of anecdotes I decided to completely avoid dealing directly with Dell and go through the MS Store. Returning something to Dell just seems much riskier than it should be.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
If I want a thinkpad that will primarily be for just school/browsing/light gaming, should I spring for the i3/i5/i7? I'm not opposed to paying more if it will improve my laptop, but I don't want to if the effect is negligible.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on what the pricing is like - usually the lowest end i5 is the best deal.

Much more important to get a decent screen though - Lenovo still has some awful options even on otherwise nice systems.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you going to be gaming on the integrated graphics, or getting a model with dedicated GPU? Sometimes the i7 has better integrated graphics than the i5 or i3.

I would go with the i5 over the i3, more and more things are being optimized for quad core. i7 really depends on your needs. Also there are dual and true quad core variants of the i7. The True quad core will help in simulation games that can take full advantage of the extra computing power.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hadlock posted:

I would go with the i5 over the i3, more and more things are being optimized for quad core. i7 really depends on your needs. Also there are dual and true quad core variants of the i7. The True quad core will help in simulation games that can take full advantage of the extra computing power.

Most mobile i5s are dual core as well (it's only Skylake that introduced quads, and only in the higher powered models which aren't commonly used in modern ThinkPads)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

sarehu posted:

See the A30, A30p, A31(?), etc.

I meant thinkpads that you can buy now.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's just a joke, blow.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I was going to order a 15" XPS tonite, but dell.com don't offer it with 16 gigs of ram it looks like? Can I call them to special order one or is it just not available? Is the ram end-user upgradeable?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

I was going to order a 15" XPS tonite, but dell.com don't offer it with 16 gigs of ram it looks like? Can I call them to special order one or is it just not available? Is the ram end-user upgradeable?

Lot of review sites say it uses SODIMMs so it should be upgradeable.

Edit: http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/dell-xps-9550-disassembly-ssd-ram-hdd-upgrade-guide/

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 4, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Replacable ram, hard drive and $999 for the 1080p model? That's a good buy if I ever heard of one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/3/10706482/new-lenovo-x1-carbon-ultrabook-announced-ces-2016

You can get Thinkpads with OLED screens now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Replacable ram, hard drive and $999 for the 1080p model? That's a good buy if I ever heard of one.

Only downside of that is the SSD models have a larger battery capacity than the HDD models. Potentially a big deal.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm in need of a 14"ish sleek/light/good battery life laptop for a CEO type person's home use. She's quite hard on her hardware though, so it needs to be at least a little durable. No gaming, just web browsing, MS Office type stuff. Maybe some flash games (not real games) for her kid.

$1000 or less would be great. Some of the Lenovo options looks OK, but man are there a lot of them.

If she brings me this 9 year old macbook to "fix" one more time I'm going to throw it through a wall.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't OLED screens degrade over time?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't OLED screens degrade over time?

Oh god, this is going to be the SSD fiasco all over again.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
CCFL screens would decay and die too. But the computer lifecycle was faster then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gerdalti posted:

I'm in need of a 14"ish sleek/light/good battery life laptop for a CEO type person's home use. She's quite hard on her hardware though, so it needs to be at least a little durable. No gaming, just web browsing, MS Office type stuff. Maybe some flash games (not real games) for her kid.

$1000 or less would be great. Some of the Lenovo options looks OK, but man are there a lot of them.

If she brings me this 9 year old macbook to "fix" one more time I'm going to throw it through a wall.

X1?

Also LOL at CEO type person letting their kids use their company laptop to play loving games on. Sounds like the story of my life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skylake is bringing 24GB and 32GB capacities to Lenovo's laptops

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/big-ram-laptops-are-abundant-as-lenovo-does-its-skylake-refresh/

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Bob Morales posted:

X1?

Also LOL at CEO type person letting their kids use their company laptop to play loving games on. Sounds like the story of my life.

X1 Carbon is what I'm leaning towards too...

And yes. Nothing says awesome like "ALL MY FILES ARE GONE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, MY DAUGHTER WAS JUST PLAYING GAMES". Well, your daughter is not quite 2 years old, perhaps she should be smacking the keyboard on your work laptop...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, I used to gently caress around with my dad's laptop when he brought it home. Though back then he mainly had one because it was cool, rather than for any genuine need. I think I eventually dropped it off the bed or something which screwed up the motherboard. Oops.

An X1 with OLED screen though? I'm more then willing to let my employer be and early adopter :getin:
Edit: Shiiiiiiiiiiit it's just on the Yoga??

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 4, 2016

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gerdalti posted:

Install Hyper-V on the new laptop and restore her computer to the previous snapshot every time it "breaks".

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Thinkpad refreshes still with hobbled with weakling graphics :cripes:

If Dell can stuff a 960M into the XPS 15 then the corresponding 15 inch thinkpad should be able to offer something decent too, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Seamonster posted:

Thinkpad refreshes still with hobbled with weakling graphics :cripes:

If Dell can stuff a 960M into the XPS 15 then the corresponding 15 inch thinkpad should be able to offer something decent too, no?

I saw this. Isn't a 930M likely to be the same speed or slower than an HD 540 in a 6260u or something?