Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Scaramouche posted:

I don't think any of them are really disliked by readers except for Desmond and Blossom. Or do you mean "wrong" in the sense of what's their characteristic/humanizing flaw?

The latter.

And I personally found Desmond very funny in a "here is a horrible character who is most likely going to end up in pain" kind of way. Blossom is just... just worse than boxbot levels of untrammeled idiocy and viciousness, compressed into an angry cloud shaped body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Speaking of Dan, my paperback copy of Case of the Simple Soul finally arrived and, while re-reading it, I had forgotten about Dan "rescuing" Shauna and Lottie from the mob. And the wise words why he would never join a mob. A class act, indeed. It's pretty clear he came from circumstances and that probably explains why he was into helping Daz before he went full chav.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The latter.

And I personally found Desmond very funny in a "here is a horrible character who is most likely going to end up in pain" kind of way.

Right, right, but... he doesn't. He never does. Ever.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dabir posted:

Right, right, but... he doesn't. He never does. Ever.

One might argue that being Desmond Fishman is punishment enough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's shockingly wealthy and lives in an enormous house with a butler.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Isn't he broke now? I have to admit, I don't bother paying much attention to the mythology of Desmond.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Autonomous Monster posted:

Isn't he broke now? I have to admit, I don't bother paying much attention to the mythology of Desmond.

He has enough money to buy toys or bread but not both.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I've been reading my way through Old Bobbins and Scary Go Round, and it's shocking what 17 years of continuous practice will do for a person's drawing and storycrafting skills. Also weird to read a webcomic from back in 1998 - the biggest moment of dissonance was a throwaway third wall breaking joke about the comic getting syndicated - like that was still taken seriously by webcomic authors back then.

Anyway, I skipped through the last couple years of Bobbins because it was getting too painful, but what happened to Holly and Rich? They kind of just disappeared when Scary Go Round started.

And speaking of age disparities in dating, after reading Learning to Fly it's a little weird that Tim ended up married to Ryan's baby sister.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Esme posted:

Anyway, I skipped through the last couple years of Bobbins because it was getting too painful, but what happened to Holly and Rich? They kind of just disappeared when Scary Go Round started.

Rich comes back in new Bobbins. Spoilers.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

team overhead smash posted:

Rich comes back in new Bobbins. Spoilers.

Thanks :) I remembered that, actually, I was just curious why he left in the first place. Other than him being a terrible character who was painful to read. New Bobbins became retroactively cathartic after skimming through the old one.

E: Oh nevermind. There's a Wikipedia article.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 31, 2015

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Gotta say, I never read John's end of year music recommendations, but I really appreciate that they exist.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reading the music recommendations is like peering into an alternate universe for me, he could be making up most of the bands and half of the genres and I wouldn't be able to tell. Every year I think "I should expand my horizons a bit and actually seek out some of this music to try", but when it's 20 full albums it's kind of hard to get started, and I'm busy, so...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

Reading the music recommendations is like peering into an alternate universe for me, he could be making up most of the bands and half of the genres and I wouldn't be able to tell. Every year I think "I should expand my horizons a bit and actually seek out some of this music to try", but when it's 20 full albums it's kind of hard to get started, and I'm busy, so...

Agreed on that.

I can't believe that this thing started in 1998, I was all of 9 years old when this webcomic began.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, Spotify is a thing, right?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, Spotify is a thing, right?

I actually did look into "It's Album Time" when he listed it in his previous list. It was well done even if it really wasnt my kind of thing, but more than anything I was relieved and delighted that it exists because that's a great name for an album.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
For those that bitch about Desmond, isn't that kind of the point? Like, I always read him as a send-up of nobility, or at least the modern version of it I.E. The Rich. He fucks everything up, everyone hates him, he continually teeters on the edge of disaster, but never gets a comeuppance. Even when he's not actually rich, and can barely feed himself, he still gets a free pass to be a completely horrible fishman being with no consequences and there's nothing you can do about it. Desmond Fishman is Ethan Couch, Donald Trump, and Walker Inman rolled into one disgusting abomination.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love the music recommendations even if I hate like half of the actual recommended music and like maybe 2 or 3 albums total every year, because, well... I end up finding 2 or 3 new albums I like!

Courtney Barnett is pretty enjoyable to listen to.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But he was awful before he was rich.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Desmond is an attempt to make a character The Worst Person with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Once I truly let that sink into my heart, I started enjoying his stories, just in a different way than most. Making him have the privileges of being rich without any actual money to give to other people in exchange for goods and services, that's actually a stroke of genius. Most rear end in a top hat rich people at least contribute income for some people around them.

Every Desmond story is an exercise in "how can this character make it through without learning anything, despite the flow of a normal narrative pushing the other way?" At any beat where a terrible person would display some note of remorse or some crack, and in fact has to for the story to flow well, he wiggles out of it looking worse than ever. It's silly fun on an intellectual level, but you have to remove yourself from the shoes of the characters who have to live with him, which is something you normally don't want to do.

It's like enjoying extremely bitter coffee or beer, I guess, though that comparison doesn't sit well with me because I really like those things.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 31, 2015

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Romesh is totally working for Si, right?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

Romesh is totally working for Si, right?

Is that a significant wink in the last panel or is he just flirting with the waitress

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

He's just flirting with the waitress. Who, by the by, if I'm not mistaken is that scarygoround character whose name eludes me right now who had a thing for Ryan.

e: Melanie? Maybe not, I think she just had brown hair.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

He's just flirting with the waitress. Who, by the by, if I'm not mistaken is that scarygoround character whose name eludes me right now who had a thing for Ryan.

That's Fallon Young, yes.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mottled Mary was dead and also secretly Natalie Durand, Ryan's other girlfriend (not the teenager).

Man, Ryan has dated a lot of girls.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Saoshyant posted:

Melanie Soap yes. Which I mostly remember because Allison pointed it out.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Wait, so how old is Daz' friend? Because Daz himself is barely older than a teenager. And this woman was in her twenties back in the day with Ryan and crew, so she's gotta be at least low thirties now, right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, Daz was already a teen in scary go round and he should be about eight years older than Shauna give or take, which means he's in his twenties now.

Still not sure who this waitress is supposed be, but with her design she's clearly not a background character. She's not Melanie (as I thought) after seeing the linked strips with her and I doubt she's Mottled Mary of all people.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh, I just noticed that they're eating at Hugo's. Whatever happened to him?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, Daz was already a teen in scary go round and he should be about eight years older than Shauna give or take, which means he's in his twenties now.

Oh jeez, I didn't realize that. That just makes Blossom's infatuation with him all the more sad. :(

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Saoshyant posted:

Still not sure who this waitress is supposed be, but with her design she's clearly not a background character. She's not Melanie (as I thought) after seeing the linked strips with her and I doubt she's Mottled Mary of all people.

Slightly re-designed Fallon Young, still waitressing for Hugo. Compare with an earlier appearance. It's just weird seeing her with her hair up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nameless Pete posted:

Slightly re-designed Fallon Young, still waitressing for Hugo. Compare with an earlier appearance. It's just weird seeing her with her hair up.

Oh, you are right. I had forgotten about her entirely.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I thought Fallon had tripped and fallen into a volcano or something, I didn't realize she was just off camera this whole time.

The moral of the story today kids is don't do business with a loan shark,

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, apparently Big Lindsay is coming back (actually I'm not sure I recall her showing up much in Scary Go Round) in tomorrow's Giant Days #10.

Huh.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The moral of the story today kids is don't do business with a loan shark,

Even a mere £100 five years ago is enough to ruin lives.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm pretty sure that the real lesson is that Daz should have just gone straight to the police, saying that Si has threatened him and his family. Borrowing a hundred quid years ago as a teenager is utterly irrelevant to all of this, as Si is clearly making things up as he goes along.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sure, but Daz isn't exactly a smart guy.

Then again, with loan sharks, they are shrewd as hell. He will just claim "no proof" and then go and get Daz killed in a freak accident so others wouldn't be getting ideas too.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 5, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Sure, but Daz isn't exactly a smart guy.

Then again, with loan sharks, they are shrewd as hell. He will just claim "no proof" and then go and get Daz killed in a freak accident so others wouldn't be getting ideas too.

I suppose the most sensible thing would be to acquaint yourself with other people the loan shark has hosed over and then bury the body in quicklime.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Knowing the cute waitress at Hugo's is actually a retired superspy would also open up options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

Borrowing a hundred quid years ago as a teenager is utterly irrelevant to all of this, as Si is clearly making things up as he goes along.

Yep, Si's intention is clearly to milk Daz for as long as possible, terrifying him with magically ever-expanding amounts of debt to keep him suitably motivated, until Daz gets unlucky and ends up back in prison. Poor Daz. Perhaps Blossom will save him by punching Si in the throat?

• Locked thread