Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

More than Meets the Eye has some of the best Starscream character development of any Transformers books. He lies and cheats his way to the top of the decepticons, then he lies and cheats his way almost to the top of the autobots, then he lies and cheats his way into basically being king of the loving transformers. Like, I literally think he has a loving crown at one point. Then he realizes that he's accomplished everything he could ever want, and that his lying and cheating is a massive ten-ton tiger that's about to bite him in the rear end, and he has a mild psychotic break before deciding that "gently caress it, I am goddamned Starscream and I can do this poo poo." and he actually manages to end up being not-a-complete-piece-of-poo poo. It's kind of awesome, and as great as Megatron's development has been I think I still like Starscream's better. He goes from sniveling toady to king of the world, and has to man the gently caress up in order to remain there.

This is actually in Transformers: Robots in Disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I finally made it through the entire thread and I must say it was well worth the time spent. It's nice to be reminded that comics can make you feel. So many panels here were absolutely beautiful and of course not all of them hit, but when they did? You would've sworn I cut several onions. I truly want to thank everyone involved in making this thread. I needed it. To contribute:

And I'll include the link to some more pages since the whole thing is pretty cute.

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/scans_daily/990722.html#cutid1

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

SonicRulez posted:

I finally made it through the entire thread and I must say it was well worth the time spent. It's nice to be reminded that comics can make you feel. So many panels here were absolutely beautiful and of course not all of them hit, but when they did? You would've sworn I cut several onions. I truly want to thank everyone involved in making this thread. I needed it. To contribute:

And I'll include the link to some more pages since the whole thing is pretty cute.

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/scans_daily/990722.html#cutid1

I like how there's a bundle of cash in one of the nets on the side of that holder.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I've always found this bit from Dr. McNinja to be equal parts funny, badass and touching, so it could go into whichever thread.

The story is about Marty the Monster, a Hulk analogue who runs a supermarket and uses his transformation ability as a gimmick for his commercials. McNinja outright hates Marty because they were in a superhero team back in college and Marty went behind their backs to score an action figure deal that involved selling out their identities and addresses. Because of that, their teammates were killed. A shamed and desperate Marty goes to McNinja and Gordito because he's stuck in mid-transformation, unable to move between the halfway point of his human form and monster form.

McNinja figures out that it's stress and tells him to work that out and he should be fine. He feels kind of bad for Marty (mostly from seeing the way his estranged father treats him), so he goes from saying it'll be really expensive to just doing it for free. Still, he thinks there's something odd about Marty's behavior and the way he dodges questions that have easy enough answers. Soon he finds out that Marty is also involved in the mob due to a huge debt and is forced to be their enforcer. This is the cause of his crippling stress.

The three form a plan to defeat a local mobster (a lobster named Robster), which involves Marty wearing a disguise. It all goes wrong and Robster takes Gordito as a hostage.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Dr. McNinja is an American Treasure. :allears:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The other day in the derailed thread, Lurdiak asked me how I'd personally write Venom off if Marvel wanted to get rid of the character for good. I wrote some stuff off the top of my head and after the fact read Secret Wars: Spider-Island. Turns out Christos Gage had the gist of it covered.

The miniseries is about the heroes failing to stop the Spider Queen, mainly due to Venom backing down when faced against her sonic scream. Sometime later, Venom is the leader of the resistance. They're able to bring certain people out of the Spider Queen's control by mutating them with various monster-related serums, like turning Cap back into a werewolf, injecting Iron Man with Goblin serum, turning Hulk into a lizard person, Captain Marvel into a living vampire, etc. They also rescue Spider-Man from stasis, giving us the awkward moment where Flash and Peter realize each other's dual identities.

In the final issue, they go after the Spider Queen, but it appears they're in over their heads and Spider-Man says to fall back. Venom refuses and rushes her.

The Queen is then trampled to death by Stegron and his army of dinosaurs. Unfortunately, Flash's injuries are too much, but he's okay with it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The emotion of that moment is a little undermined by how ridiculous-but-amazing Werewolf Captain America looks just standing there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

How long has Betty Brandt been a fish-person?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Travis343 posted:

How long has Betty Brandt been a fish-person?

Two issues, but it's a Secret Wars tie-in so it isn't canon. Also, she's not so much a fish person as she's the Lizard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Man, I am out of touch. I just assumed Betty Ross had become the new Black Widow, from the outfit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Everyone got mutated into a weird science monster person do that they couldn't be mind controlled by the villain. Like a lot of the tie-ins, it was better than it sounds.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Everyone got mutated into a weird science monster person do that they couldn't be mind controlled by the villain. Like a lot of the tie-ins, it was better than it sounds.

It must have been amazing then because that sounds pretty drat awesome

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You ever think Captain America sits down and goes "Man, I sure do seem to get turned into a werewolf a lot.", then goes "Man....my life is totally screwed up.".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Boogaleeboo posted:

You ever think Captain America sits down and goes "Man, I sure do seem to get turned into a werewolf a lot.", then goes "Man....my life is totally screwed up.".

Dude watched the president commit suicide, the werewolf thing probably doesn't even register.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Lizard-Hulk looks pretty awesome. Why wasn't he in the army of dinosaurs?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

The other day in the derailed thread, Lurdiak asked me how I'd personally write Venom off if Marvel wanted to get rid of the character for good. I wrote some stuff off the top of my head and after the fact read Secret Wars: Spider-Island. Turns out Christos Gage had the gist of it covered.

The miniseries is about the heroes failing to stop the Spider Queen, mainly due to Venom backing down when faced against her sonic scream. Sometime later, Venom is the leader of the resistance. They're able to bring certain people out of the Spider Queen's control by mutating them with various monster-related serums, like turning Cap back into a werewolf, injecting Iron Man with Goblin serum, turning Hulk into a lizard person, Captain Marvel into a living vampire, etc. They also rescue Spider-Man from stasis, giving us the awkward moment where Flash and Peter realize each other's dual identities.

In the final issue, they go after the Spider Queen, but it appears they're in over their heads and Spider-Man says to fall back. Venom refuses and rushes her.

The Queen is then trampled to death by Stegron and his army of dinosaurs. Unfortunately, Flash's injuries are too much, but he's okay with it.

That is awesome, and a weird-rear end coincidence.

Also I totally didn't expect vampire Captain Marvel to be a Morbius type vampire. She's lucky she didn't get the weird Kiss eyes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurdiak posted:

That is awesome, and a weird-rear end coincidence.

Also I totally didn't expect vampire Captain Marvel to be a Morbius type vampire. She's lucky she didn't get the weird Kiss eyes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah that's still pretty normal compared to this poo poo.

Like, is that mascara?

It's also lucky she didn't get the bat nose, either. Mighta made her hard to draw sexy.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

whoever wrote this, I can't help but imagine they were yelling "GET IT? GET IT?" as they were showing the script to editors, artists and letterers.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I don't follow the comics, but I'm picturing some giant robot trying to tolerate this indignant tiny robot who gets super pissed over some trivial thing because it'd look bad to beat up a tiny robot... but gently caress it, this tiny robot needs to get stomped.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

I don't follow the comics, but I'm picturing some giant robot trying to tolerate this indignant tiny robot who gets super pissed over some trivial thing because it'd look bad to beat up a tiny robot... but gently caress it, this tiny robot needs to get stomped.

Nope. Whirl is basically a psychopath, so it's more like a 10 foot Klingon redshirt just killed tiny Captain Kirk.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. Whirl is basically a psychopath, so it's more like a 10 foot Klingon redshirt just killed tiny Captain Kirk.

Yeah, I looked it up and the Terradores are the good guys in their conflict. :smith:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Poison Mushroom posted:

The emotion of that moment is a little undermined by how ridiculous-but-amazing Werewolf Captain America looks just standing there.

Yeah I really need more Werewolf Cap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah I really need more Werewolf Cap.

I'm pretty sure he was turned into a werewolf in his own book sometime in the 70s or 80s.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The new Captain America currently has him as werewolf cap

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

The new Captain America currently has him as werewolf cap

Sam or Steve?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Apparently Sam, I'm also pretty sure that's racist because "better a dog then a black, at least a dog is loyal" was/is a thing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Apparently Sam, I'm also pretty sure that's racist because "better a dog then a black, at least a dog is loyal" was/is a thing.

It was done by a bunch of white supremacists and they did it because steve was one at one point.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

bobkatt013 posted:

It was done by a bunch of white supremacists and they did it because steve was one at one point.

Wasn't it just their really weird mad scientist consultant?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you being serious? Because that is probably the best way to do it. It's enough of an edge case where the racial element could be problematic unless you attack it head-on because CapWolf has been a weirdly memorable thing that happened and it's fun to see how Sam reacts to similar circumstances:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Are you being serious? Because that is probably the best way to do it. It's enough of an edge case where the racial element could be problematic unless you attack it head-on because CapWolf has been a weirdly memorable thing that happened and it's fun to see how Sam reacts to similar circumstances:

That is what I was saying. I was responding to the person saying that turning him into a wolf is racist.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

mind the walrus posted:

CapWolf has been a weirdly memorable thing

I really appreciate the fact that even as a werewolf, he's still got blonde hair/fur.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Well, of course. His hair spontaneously changes color when he's transformed into a werewolf? That would just be silly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It makes him look more like a weregolden retriever.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

WickedHate posted:

Who's a good captain? Who's a good captain? You are! Oh, yes you are! Oh, yes you are!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Who's a good captain? Who's a good captain? You are! Oh, yes you are! Oh, yes you are!

The shield comes back because we're playing fetch.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

It could be worse, he could be a werebeagle:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Gotta love the Beaton

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Cable/Deadpool #41 and #42. The two had a huge falling out over a handful of things, mostly an instance where Cable hosed with Deadpool's head in an attempt to make him face his past sins and hopefully want to become a better human being. Instead, Deadpool went back to trying to be the best mercenary in the world while Cable went back to ruling his island utopia Providence while being a member of the X-Men. As part of a big X-Men story, Providence was under attack. Deadpool felt compelled to have his friends fly him to the island, where he arrived just in time to save Irene Merryweather from Sabretooth.

Shortly after, the ladies find Cable.

Cable interjects himself into the Deadpool vs. Sabretooth fight by telekinetically tossing Sabretooth into the ocean.

Complicated Nicieza plot stuff is talked about, but the gist of it is that the island needs to be destroyed. There's a lot of future tech and data that can't fall into the wrong hands. Deadpool is sent to go find and destroy the backup data.

Deadpool succeeds in grabbing the backup. As Cable sacrifices himself and blows up the island, his last action is to make sure Deadpool is safely teleported away.

The comic would go on for eight more issues as just Deadpool teaming up with people, but this is honestly the real finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is always bewildering to me that someone took the ideal of Cable and Deadpool and made it work.