Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

az posted:

What's wrong with it? And what would be a better single target for a non voltaxic LA/TS ranger, blast rain?

I have a Split Arrow crit build that uses a Trap with Puncture-Physical Projectile Damage-Point Blank. You throw three of these at a boss (one of which should crit) and he just melts. Bonus points for going around reflect and letting you run away after the initiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Rigwald's curses aren't that expensive, heck, they're cheaper than the actual facebreakers themselves.

http://poe.trade/search/ihaimanikunata

I dropped a pair of 790% facebreakers last week, I might keep it and roll a crit facebreaker myself. Not sure on Ice Crash, Cyclone, or Infernal blow.

Snagged a poo poo poor RC from some guy for a few chaos, didn't remember that I couldn't reroll the base stat until literally 30 seconds after the trade. Don't drink and trade kids! Only down a few chaos though, so no big.

I am actually working on my punchfist person anyway. Night's Hold and a flame totem gem is some solid leveling power, let me tell you.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Duck and Cover posted:

Nope thanks to people wanting a challenge (I played for hundreds of hours and am dominating poo poo where's the challenge?) you pretty much need tons of hp.

You are revolting.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

thehandtruck posted:

You are revolting.

What? For good or bad this game is for the "hardcore" gamer. All builds that plan on doing anything higher then low tier maps pretty much take every feasible hp node plus have some sort of other damage mitigation (on top of max everything but chaos resists). I'm sorry for being factual.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

az posted:

What's wrong with it? And what would be a better single target for a non voltaxic LA/TS ranger, blast rain?

Frenzy's bad because it's too easy to generate Frenzy charges through Blood Rage. As a skill, Frenzy just doesn't give enough bonus %damage, as the penalty for charge generation (compare level 20 Frenzy with 3 charges - giving you 136+20=151% damage - with level 1 Burning Arrow, which gives you 150%+15%/s for 4s ignite)

TS with GMP is actually decent (not LMP - you need more secondary arrows). It's not awe-inspiring, but it'll plink away at single targets faster than LA will. Aim slightly behind a single target. TS also has implicit piercing, handy for taking out a single target behind a wall of adds.

if you intend to run bosses that like to move a lot, like Voll, then puncture crit works well. Doesn't work so great for odd rares.

your other main options are puncture-trapping or vaalburningarrow-trapping. These work better if your bow is awesome enough that you can murder whatever you want to murder in one or two point blank traps. I am running a non-voltaxic LA/TS ranger right now in Talisman - I gave up on trapping, too many rares with skills that allow them to destroy traps. It's a pain to fight leap slammers, lightning warpers, storm heralds, etc. without Clever Construction.

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ronya posted:

Frenzy's bad because it's too easy to generate Frenzy charges through Blood Rage. As a skill, Frenzy just doesn't give enough bonus %damage, as the penalty for charge generation (compare level 20 Frenzy with 3 charges - giving you 136+20=151% damage - with level 1 Burning Arrow, which gives you 150%+15%/s for 4s ignite)

TS with GMP is actually decent (not LMP - you need more secondary arrows). It's not awe-inspiring, but it'll plink away at single targets faster than LA will. Aim slightly behind a single target. TS also has implicit piercing, handy for taking out a single target behind a wall of adds.

if you intend to run bosses that like to move a lot, like Voll, then puncture crit works well. Doesn't work so great for odd rares.

your other main options are puncture-trapping or vaalburningarrow-trapping. These work better if your bow is awesome enough that you can murder whatever you want to murder in one or two point blank traps. I am running a non-voltaxic LA/TS ranger right now in Talisman - I gave up on trapping, too many rares with skills that allow them to destroy traps. It's a pain to fight leap slammers, lightning warpers, storm heralds, etc. without Clever Construction.

You're gonna have more than 3 charges and you didn't include the attack speed

e: though its still not good

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 4, 2016

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Duck and Cover posted:

What? For good or bad this game is for the "hardcore" gamer. All builds that plan on doing anything higher then low tier maps pretty much take every feasible hp node plus have some sort of other damage mitigation (on top of max everything but chaos resists). I'm sorry for being factual.

So I'm totally new to PoE (but not to other hack'n'slashes) and I'm playing hardcore. I'm wondering - I'm playing ranger trapper (want to see if this build will work - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1543845 ) and was thinking about going for evasion as my "defence". Would you say that this is a bad idea? Or what would be i.e. "safe" amount of +life % / total life which I should be aiming to get from the passive tree?

kaaj fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Can I get a guild invite? Been trying on the IRC channel but no replies, poopfartfart ingame.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

kaaj posted:

So I'm totally new to PoE (but not to other hack'n'slashes) and I'm playing hardcore. I'm wondering - I'm playing ranger trapper (want to see if this build will work - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1543845 ) and was thinking about going for evasion as my "defence". Would you say that this is a bad idea? Or what would be i.e. "safe" amount of +life % / total life which I should be aiming to get from the passive tre?

It's fine. Depends on your build but try to get 150-180% life on your passive tree + acrobatics (the passive tree in the guide you linked has 187% increased life when complete). You could have a little less as a trapper instead of a miner, but miners are more vulnerable.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Korwin posted:

So started this game a short time ago.
Went pretty well, with an summoner witch. But she might have spoiled me...

How do I survive with with other classes? Just some tips for the first 10 Levels?
Tried Marauder, but I get surrounded and die....

If you're playing with goons (you should), they should be able to give you some low level jewellery that has flat mana cost reduction, which basically breaks leveling as you're able to spam low level abilities basically forever. The game opens up as you level so there's no big loss in skipping the "run around slowly and spam two abilities for hours" part of the game to get to the "teleport quickly and spam one ability for hours" part with all the cool loot and poo poo. :v:

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Do you guys think this would be a viable build? The idea here is to use Molten Strike while dual-wielding scepters. Since the little fire balls don't move far they get the full bonus from Point Blank and you also have Iron Grip buffing their damage. Resolute Technique means not worrying about accuracy or killing yourself through crits on reflect minions, and the huge damage bonus from those two passives makes up for not having crits. It's got 112% bonus life, and like 150% bonus armor and 100% bonus evasion rating already, and I still have 24 points left, which could easily go into more life/armor/evasion passives since there are several of those trees that I've already connected and just not taken.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I didn't look at your tree, but I can tell you that even glass cannon builds take a minimum of like 135% life, and you're in melee range so you should be probably more around the 165% mark at least.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xequecal posted:

Do you guys think this would be a viable build? The idea here is to use Molten Strike while dual-wielding scepters. Since the little fire balls don't move far they get the full bonus from Point Blank and you also have Iron Grip buffing their damage. Resolute Technique means not worrying about accuracy or killing yourself through crits on reflect minions, and the huge damage bonus from those two passives makes up for not having crits. It's got 112% bonus life, and like 150% bonus armor and 100% bonus evasion rating already, and I still have 24 points left, which could easily go into more life/armor/evasion passives since there are several of those trees that I've already connected and just not taken.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...vjr_gr-j_xLFE0=

this would be your endgame

Though Scion start is worse than Duelist or Marauder and you touch both basically.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Kild posted:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...vjr_gr-j_xLFE0=

this would be your endgame

Though Scion start is worse than Duelist or Marauder and you touch both basically.

I thought about Marauder or Duelist, but the reason I picked Scion is that from reading the wiki, the projectiles that Molten Strike shoots out don't count as "melee" and therefore don't benefit from passives that have "melee" in the description. So the Marauder/Duelist starting passives would suck for this, because they would only affect the initial hit and not the projectiles which are doing most of the damage. The wiki however also explicitly says that "melee" is OK and affects both if it's referencing a weapon type, so the Strong Arm tree is OK, it's just "melee" and "melee physical" that doesn't work. This is also why I picked dual wielding and not sword/shield, the shield passives at the bottom are "melee physical" and thus wouldn't work.

The way I have it set up now the only passives I took that have the "melee" qualifier are the first Scion talent point and Born to Fight. For the former, I could easily go down the dex side for +% projectile damage and get the same tree, I just figured the resists would be more valuable. The latter is just a connector that's good enough for one talent point even with the physical damage part only being partially effective.

Xequecal fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xequecal posted:

I thought about Marauder or Duelist, but the reason I picked Scion is that from reading the wiki, the projectiles that Molten Strike shoots out don't count as "melee" and therefore don't benefit from passives that have "melee" in the description. So the Marauder/Duelist starting passives would suck for this, because they would only affect the initial hit and not the projectiles which are doing most of the damage. The wiki however also explicitly says that "melee" is OK and affects both if it's referencing a weapon type, so the Strong Arm tree is OK, it's just "melee" and "melee physical" that doesn't work. This is also why I picked dual wielding and not sword/shield, the shield passives at the bottom are "melee physical" and thus wouldn't work.

The way I have it set up now the only passives I took that have the "melee" qualifier are the first Scion talent point and Born to Fight. For the former, I could easily go down the dex side for +% projectile damage and get the same tree, I just figured the resists would be more valuable. The latter is just a connector that's good enough for one talent point even with the physical damage part only being partially effective.
You'd just go down the life side of Marauder and save yourself 6 pts. You can spend 2 of that to get 15% all res and 12% armor if you cared about resists. Also duelist start is Physical Damage with Attacks, not melee damage.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
attempting to get both the mace damage nodes and the dual-wielding damage nodes smells faintly of diminishing returns

if you're not speccing for a unique-heavy build, don't waste points on resistances from tree, where possible. That's the problem with the Scion start. Scion only really shines if you need to go in opposite directions on the tree at once.

the ideal Marauder starting passives are the life nodes, not the Melee Physical Damage nodes, I think.

Molten Strike, well. If you use MPD with Molten Strike, you're not going to apply More to your projectile damage. Consider Static Strike for an attack whose gimmick applies melee-tagged damage. If you're going WED, then you should consider P2L and then just picking up the elemental nodes close by instead. That would also apply to both melee and proj components without any jiggering.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 4, 2016

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Yeah I think I'm going to try that. I totally did not realize static strike worked with melee damage.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Xequecal posted:

I'm running a 2h mace Molten Strike character right now, and I'm pretty sure Duelist is the best class for it, if only because it's so close to Point Blank and Iron Grip. The first few Duelist damage nodes are "physical damage with attacks", which applies to both parts of Molten Strike, so grab those, loop through the life and defense ones, and exit through the attack speed node. In fact, here's the build I'm using modified for dual wielding, which is just a build I copied from somewhere else for a generic 2h melee weapon projectile build, but with Point Blank added. Going deeper into the Marauder and Templar sections is a bit of a trap, as you really want those outer keystones, and sticking to the edges is more efficient. The defenses are iffy, but I use GMP with a Life Gain on Hit support gem and a Poacher's Mark aura to outheal most everything, and six endurance charges and Fortify are better than a few thousand points of armor IMO.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Thanks guys, I'll look into that! Do you run blood rage manually or do you have it in a trigger setup? And let me ask about blast rain, I've been seeing it in a lot of builds but I have no idea how well it compares to the other skills.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
After a week of Vaal Sparking, to anyone thinking of farming Dried Lake for the cards for Voll's Devotion.

Don't.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kaaj posted:

So I'm totally new to PoE (but not to other hack'n'slashes) and I'm playing hardcore. I'm wondering - I'm playing ranger trapper (want to see if this build will work - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1543845 ) and was thinking about going for evasion as my "defence". Would you say that this is a bad idea? Or what would be i.e. "safe" amount of +life % / total life which I should be aiming to get from the passive tree?

By hardcore I meant people who play tons.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Magus42 posted:

Instead of rerolling w/flame totems or such at the moment, is it possible to salvage any of my current characters to try and get familiar with the game again?

I've also got a few other uniques lying around if they could help:

I really liked the Facebreaker (Dian_Wei) before, but I'm not sure if I'm doing well enough gearing it. I've also got a summoner (Farrys) while the other witch was a fire witch w/Searing Touch, and the Ranger I couldn't quite make up my mind what skill gems to use...

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Your profile is set to private. Can't see your characters.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

az posted:

Thanks guys, I'll look into that! Do you run blood rage manually or do you have it in a trigger setup? And let me ask about blast rain, I've been seeing it in a lot of builds but I have no idea how well it compares to the other skills.

If your clear speed isn't abysmal you're fine just manually casting it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Bluemillion posted:

Your profile is set to private. Can't see your characters.

Oops, didn't know that was a thing; fixed.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
So did the patch break any of the "recommended" builds in the OP? I'm just starting out and dont want to start putting together something that doesnt work anymore.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Magus42 posted:

Oops, didn't know that was a thing; fixed.

Oh my god, Dien_Wei has a legacy Facebreaker (More damage than the current version). You need to use that. This update added a bunch of unarmed jewels, too. Look up a facebreaker build and have fun.

lexxyth
Jan 21, 2015
First char, following this cyclone marauder guide, at lvl 67 now. I regret not starting in the talisman league, maybe in the next one.
Char name is Dadoktah, trying to get a guild inv in IRC.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Winged Orpheus posted:

So did the patch break any of the "recommended" builds in the OP? I'm just starting out and dont want to start putting together something that doesnt work anymore.

They're all still strong. The current best cheap builds are essence drain + contagion or one of like 10 different Bladefall builds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just read up on the expansion. Are Those class specific spheres making nerds angry? Seems like a large departure by ggg.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I think most people are really excited because they seem to be really loving strong.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

euphronius posted:

I just read up on the expansion. Are Those class specific spheres making nerds angry? Seems like a large departure by ggg.

They're not in until March or April or whatever. There's probably a decent amount of stupid posts about 'em but not enough that they're visible enough for me to find 'em.

I'm very curious how GGG will balance the game once Ascendancy rolls in, since there's already people complaining about how easy it is to level to 100 now and Ascendancy is gonna make characters goddamn ridiculously powerful compared to how they are now.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

euphronius posted:

They made me super angry at first. Then I realized that it gives a reason to play a class other than passive point optimization. There are some less than obvious applications for these class bonuses. For example, the Necromancer class could be used to make an absolutely furious Viper Strike witch.

notmetalenough
Feb 26, 2010
RE: facebreakers. I am currently leveling up an infernal blow facebreaker character. It is very fun. The most important thing seems to be flat phys, so use poe.trade to get good +XX-XX physical damage rings and amulet. I am not going to use Rigwald's Curse, but that's because I'm a marauder and so getting claw nodes would be forever away. I bet crit FB is insane. Regular FB is ludicrous already.

I went FB because I dropped a Bringer of Rain and wanted to build around it. I couldn't find a good BoR build so I decided if I can't use a chest why not not use a weapon too?

I am an idiot so I am insisting on using shield charge which is a really dogshit movement skill. I think the only sane option is flame dash.

I like FB enough that I've started buying more pairs (started with 740%, bought a 780+ after a while). I will probably become an insane person who saves currency forever to buy a legacy 1000% FB.

Infernal blow is really fun.

I don't have any good tips other than flat phys, but there's a REALLY LONG, REALLY GOOD guide on the duelist forums all about (non-crit) facebreaker's. It might be the best guide I've ever seen.

In conclusion: Facebreakers

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, I ran the Ice Crash Facebreaker in that guide. As soon as you hit level 16, you become a punchgod of punchdeath. And I was running with sub-700 damage and self-found gear, sitting at over 35k dps at 68.

Facebreaker makes the level grind so much less of a chore because you just vaporize everything.

notmetalenough
Feb 26, 2010
It would be awesome if more skills worked with Facebreaker. For example, if you can use Frost Blades with maces, why not unarmed as well?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

theshim posted:

Yeah, I ran the Ice Crash Facebreaker in that guide. As soon as you hit level 16, you become a punchgod of punchdeath. And I was running with sub-700 damage and self-found gear, sitting at over 35k dps at 68.

Facebreaker makes the level grind so much less of a chore because you just vaporize everything.

That new unique talisman you can use at lv10 is loving amazing until like level 30 or so.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Frenzy works very well with facebreakers as well. And now that it only costs 10 mana (the same that reave did at level 20 before 2.1) you don't have to use bloodmagic anymore. Zeno is doing a frenzy facebreaker with melee splash and he is doing really well with it. Very tanky too even with abyssus. Once it gets going it keeps going very easily.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Holyshoot posted:

That new unique talisman you can use at lv10 is loving amazing until like level 30 or so.
Night's Hold can run with Flame Totem/Fire Trap/Lightning Tendrils (depending on color) and clean house for a while, true.

Frankly I'm totally okay with them dropping a bunch of gear that makes the early game stretches go faster, because altitis makes seeing normal and cruel acts 2 and 4 particularly onerous.

Bugsy posted:

Frenzy works very well with facebreakers as well. And now that it only costs 10 mana (the same that reave did at level 20 before 2.1) you don't have to use bloodmagic anymore. Zeno is doing a frenzy facebreaker with melee splash and he is doing really well with it. Very tanky too even with abyssus. Once it gets going it keeps going very easily.
Yeah, the huge buffs to melee splash make it actually really good for AoE coverage. You still only generate 1 charge per punch but it's getting so many multipliers that it squashes entire groups.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

theshim posted:

Frankly I'm totally okay with them dropping a bunch of gear that makes the early game stretches go faster, because altitis makes seeing normal and cruel acts 2 and 4 particularly onerous.

Really? I find act 3 the biggest drag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Need some help with what to do with my build, mainly items. It's a Discharge RF IW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-AiWibY_ug
Here's the tree: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/uhhhhahhhhohahhh/characters

I'm clearing pretty quickly it seems but my gear is poo poo, need lot's more life and armour would be great. I have 7 endurance charges and 3 frenzy, I can get one more for 3 points and it's all converted to fire using Pyre. I have Blasphemy + Warlords Mark for endurance charges but it isn't that great at getting them for some reason (feels like it's bugged to me.) Was wondering if a Darresso's Defiance on an armour character is going to be worth it or not, or if I'm just going to keep losing my charges all the time? I could drop the Blasphemy setup for something else if it works (even though the life leech seems great) but then that means I need a bunch of other uniques to make it worth it: a Doon's (for Flame Surge), a Repentance (because getting BBBRR Daresso's is going to be poo poo) and then I might as well put the Discharge in a Geoffri's Crest for the +1... (DIscharge/Faster Casting/Controlled Destruction/Fire Pen) Then since I'm Iron Will an Astramentis and for boots I could use Blood Dance so I can drop Blood Rage and stop degenning while getting Frenzy charges. Aside from how expensive all this is going to be, I'm only going to have 1 ring and my belt slot for capping my resists and getting more life.

Does going this far sound dumb? If going for Darresso's is the smart move I could probably keep the Warlords Blasphemy to be safe (I'd only run AA or Vitality otherwise) but where do I stop? Doon's is a must, is the Geoffri's/Repentance idea poo poo? I could stop there because I probably won't be able to afford Astra for ages and get better life boots or should I just stick with what I've got?? forget about Darressos, try to get a random 5link BBBRR armour chest, Doon's, Astramentis and focus on the Iron Will rather than fixing Blood Rage degen and frenzy charge generation etc. I'm not even technically capped resists with my current setup, only 73% cold resist.

I'm going for more life for now since I'm only doing T2 maps and the clear speed seems decent so I don't think another frenzy charge will help at the moment. I have barely any currency at the moment either. 1ex and like 10 chaos at most

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread