Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DD is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

alcharagia posted:

DD is a good game.

Hmm.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Apollo is loving badass, it has good music, the thought route mechanic is cool & good, and The Dissin of Phoenix Wright is the best testimony in series history! The witness is clearly lying, Your Honor!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Athena is a great and cool character.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Polly and Athena have a great dynamic at the bench and I'm very much looking forward to the LA side of events with them at the helm in AA6.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd be straight up okay with Nick not even being playable in AA6 if it meant more of Apollo and Athena dorking around through cases together.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I though the Jurist system's test was a success and it was weird that there were no nods towards it in DD, oh well. I'm glad I've seen what AJ has to offer, but I doubt I'll revisit anytime soon, even though Apollo does have great themes - still, one only has to play the first case to see the best the game has to offer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lurdiak posted:

I think my favorite bad thing in AJ is the black psyche-lock on Kristoph's heart. It makes it seem like he's hiding something huge.

But he isn't. It's never resolved in any satisfying way whatsoever.

The weird thing is that the black locks in DD are said to be from repressed memories or something. Why would Kristoph repress anything about the murder? He seemed to be fully aware of every aspect, down to watching all the people involved for years and years. :psyduck:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The weird thing is that the black locks in DD are said to be from repressed memories or something. Why would Kristoph repress anything about the murder? He seemed to be fully aware of every aspect, down to watching all the people involved for years and years. :psyduck:

He is repressing that he is the pettiest human being on the planet.

alcharagia posted:

Polly and Athena have a great dynamic at the bench and I'm very much looking forward to the LA side of events with them at the helm in AA6.

They're the best. I hope they are the main characters of AA7.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think the idea is that he didn't want to admit to himself how loving stupid his motive was? Or maybe it's just that the magatama can't actually directly expose a murderer.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I just assumed they changed what black locks meant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It doesn't really matter, in the end. They show us something we've never seen before, a truth that can't be revealed, and play dramatic music. And then nothing dramatic gets revealed, the lock never shatters dramatically, it's just never addressed again. Bad writing.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

It doesn't really matter, in the end. They show us something we've never seen before, a truth that can't be revealed, and play dramatic music. And then nothing dramatic gets revealed, the lock never shatters dramatically, it's just never addressed again. Bad writing.

The lock never shattering could easily have been done well. It's a shame.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

it's one of the reasons why i think the game was rear end raped in development

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dongicus posted:

it's one of the reasons why i think the game was rear end raped in development

I think the idea was supposed to be Apollo succeeding at drawing out the truth where Phoenix failed. But then Phoenix reverse-engineers the ending anyway.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, JfA does have the best Investigation ~ Core IMO. Having Matt flip his hair while the really creepy start to the investigation tune was great.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I finished AAI1, and I really found it to be fantastic. Case 5 especially, although it did get a bit tedious at the end when everyone involved in the case showed up with a new piece of decisive evidence. I suppose that's par for the course in AA though. When Edgeworth deduced that Alba was the real killer and head of the smuggling ring, it was such a moment for me, as I really didn't suspect him. Good game, can't wait for the next one. Earlier in the thread someone said that Edgeworth works better when he has it figured it out and you're waiting to see how he presents, and I'm inclined to agree, as he was much closer to Phoenix during his investigations, just a bit ruder.

Gonna play AAI2 after I play Apollo Justice, can't think of a better way to start off the year of the Ace Attorney

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I finished AAI1, and I really found it to be fantastic. Case 5 especially, although it did get a bit tedious at the end...

Congrats, you can now fully appreciate this (Massive AAI case 5 spoilers, obviously.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3eWbz-7dz0

The first AAI game is somewhat under-appreciated here. I share your opinion that it's a pretty darn good game.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 4, 2016

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

fronz posted:

Ok, JfA does have the best Investigation ~ Core IMO. Having Matt flip his hair while the really creepy start to the investigation tune was great.

This track was great in Justice for All. I thought it was misused terribly in Trials & Tribulations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Lurdiak posted:

Athena is a great and cool character.

Something about her annoyed me for no reason. I think it was her hair.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I thought the point of the Black Locks was that:
With the normal locks, deep down, the person WANTS to admit things and unlock it.
With the Black Locks, the person gave zero fucks and had no guilt or remorse tied into keeping it secret, so there was no way to work it out like you could with anyone else.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

the_steve posted:

I thought the point of the Black Locks was that:
With the normal locks, deep down, the person WANTS to admit things and unlock it.
With the Black Locks, the person gave zero fucks and had no guilt or remorse tied into keeping it secret, so there was no way to work it out like you could with anyone else.

In AA4 it was along the lines of "they'd sooner die than reveal the truth", which in AA5 evolved to "if they reveal the truth they might actually die".

Psyche-locks were always kind of inconsistent in their execution, though. Like in AA3 where the "secret" being guarded turns out to be a bold-faced lie.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

In AA4 it was along the lines of "they'd sooner die than reveal the truth", which in AA5 evolved to "if they reveal the truth they might actually die".

Psyche-locks were always kind of inconsistent in their execution, though. Like in AA3 where the "secret" being guarded turns out to be a bold-faced lie.

Larry's endless psyche-lock, coupled with Edgeworth's "NOOOOOOOO!", remains a series highlight for me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Chieves posted:

Larry's endless psyche-lock, coupled with Edgeworth's "NOOOOOOOO!", remains a series highlight for me.

Edgeworth saying, essentially "Okay gently caress this clown, i'll drag the truth out of him in court!"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

God... aai2 is so good......

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dongicus posted:

:yeah:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Plom Bar posted:

In AA4 it was along the lines of "they'd sooner die than reveal the truth"

They actually never got an explanation in AJ but that was the assumption. Phoenix just said that he had never seen locks so cold and full of despair. Then he wondered if it was even possible to break the locks but we never even got to try.

The "repressed memory" explanation in DD is sort of a retcon, but it doesn't outright contradict anything before it. For all we know, there's some tragic, repressed memory that made Kristoph who he is that we'll never find out about because everything in AJ was thrown out with the bath water. For what it's worth, there never was a huge reveal at the end of AJ worthy of black locks. You just proved what we already knew and Kristoph went Super Saiyan.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kristoph's deepest darkest biggest blackest secret is that he is the most petty person in this series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Kristoph's deepest darkest biggest blackest secret is that he is the most petty person in this series.

I want to know how he got so messed up to the point where he needs to forge evidence and murder two people just to cheat his brother out of a verdict.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Suspicious Cook posted:

They actually never got an explanation in AJ but that was the assumption. Phoenix just said that he had never seen locks so cold and full of despair. Then he wondered if it was even possible to break the locks but we never even got to try.

We did break the locks, we just never saw them break. You found out why Kristoph did what he did in court, he is just a terrible person.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think of it as

Red locks = keeping a secret from you.
Black locks = keeping a secret from themselves.

And for Kristoph, that secret is probably just he uncomfortable truth this was also because of petty jealousy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, Kristoph's thing is that he really want to appear as a cool, aloof, evil guy that ruined lives because he is so very evil.
Truth is, he comitted forgery and murder, and had to spend 7 years watching everyone because he lost a poker game and couldn't stomach it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maybe he's just a closet homosexual

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kristoph's secret is that he knows he's a mediocre villain in a sub-par game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dongicus posted:

Case 1 was great, Case 2 was kinda average.

Case 3 though, holy poo poo. I'm not finished yet but it's already one of my favorite in the series.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

case 2 in AAI-2 is far too long

I don't think I've ever actually been tired of a case's sheer length before that

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that's the only low point of the game. Also, Ray was a total dick to Edgeworth at the start of the case.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, that's the only low point of the game. Also, Ray was a total dick to Edgeworth at the start of the case.

Those air quotes might be the most annoying animation in the series.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Vengarr posted:

His sarcastic golf clapping is the best, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Well, there's Spark Brushel and pretty much everything he does.

• Locked thread