Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

novaSphere posted:

Yes. The heat basics didn't get changed, but every one of the other basic skills did.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/215830-patch-notes-1438-01-dec-2015/

OK. Yeah, I thought the heat didn't get hosed with.

Frankly the heat alone makes eliting mechs worth it unless you're running a really heat neutral build. If all you want to do is chain fire AC5s stock heat is fine I guess, but if you want to get your wub on that x2 is a loving godsend. I've got 3 of my 4 Marauders mastered and going back to the one that's crawling through its basics is loving painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

novaSphere posted:

Yes. The heat basics didn't get changed, but every one of the other basic skills did.

All this did was make me want PGI to add a North Korea flag for glorious Space-North Korea.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK. Yeah, I thought the heat didn't get hosed with.

Frankly the heat alone makes eliting mechs worth it unless you're running a really heat neutral build. If all you want to do is chain fire AC5s stock heat is fine I guess, but if you want to get your wub on that x2 is a loving godsend. I've got 3 of my 4 Marauders mastered and going back to the one that's crawling through its basics is loving painful.

I'm finally just getting started with Clan mechs, and boy howdy are they challenging to use without double basics. Those fuckers run hot.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

novaSphere posted:

Thank gently caress they did that sounds awful if you didn't have elite

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
:siren: Goon Inhouse Event Post :siren:

I saw the positive responses to my post earlier so here's the announcement.

Show up to the Goonrathi Mumble at this time on Saturday, January 9th (if you're in the eastern hemisphere, then sunday)

We will do most if not all of the suggested gimmicky bullshit for as long as people are still cool to keep going.

PS: problem solved! :siren: if you have premium time banked or are willing to spend 250mc, please contact me (izov) because you gotta have premium time in order to make lobbies and i'm not giving PGI money.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 8, 2016

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I don't plan slosh-ops that far ahead. How about this Sunday instead? :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So you're going to organize an event, but you're not willing to spend some free MC from events to make it possible? okay!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Pattonesque posted:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/684098971225096192

Alpine is staying in the rotation when New Map comes
gently caress. I hope it actually gets that update pass they mentioned in the roadmap post then, because holy poo poo is it unbalanced.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

A.o.D. posted:

So you're going to organize an event, but you're not willing to spend some free MC from events to make it possible? okay!

I shouldn't have to give PGI money in order to play a private lobby with my friends #politics

edit-- VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV This is a Free to Play game. You know what "Free to Play" means, right? Your analogy is poo poo.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 4, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Love Stole the Day posted:

I shouldn't have to give PGI money in order to play a private lobby with my friends #politics

I shouldn't have to pay a restaurant money to partake in food with my comrades. So I have my friends pay for it.

Gotcha, noble intentions and what not.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

edit-- VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV This is a Free to Play game. You know what "Free to Play" means, right? Your analogy is poo poo.

Do you understand what "Free to Play" means? When is the last time you saw a FtP game that didn't monetize all the little extras that are taken for granted in a paid title? That's the essence of the entire business model.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, of all the f2p games I've encountered, MWO's is one of the least offensive when it comes to the paywall.

Hmm....

A.o.D. posted:

HMMMMM.......

I guess the paywall behind private lobbies to goof off with your friends is "not (least) offensive."

:devil:

BTW, I assume you won't be partaking in the festivities since you have a problem with this.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you understand what "Free to Play" means? When is the last time you saw a FtP game that didn't monetize all the little extras that are taken for granted in a paid title? That's the essence of the entire business model.

Off the top of my head, and putting aside the fact that you are blowing this up to be more than only about making a private lobby, which was the original context: Dota 2, Smite, and pretty much all of the other most highly rated f2p games on Steam.

edit-- and since when are we defending PGI's money schemes? oh, how the narrative has changed.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I have some banked time I activated but i don't think it will still be active July 9th.

On a different note, I recently purchased a Crab and while I was whirling it around in the Mechlab checking out my cool paint I noticed that it sports a little backpack looking thing on its rear. Does anyone know what hitbox this represents?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

TeeMerk posted:

I have some banked time I activated but i don't think it will still be active July 9th.

On a different note, I recently purchased a Crab and while I was whirling it around in the Mechlab checking out my cool paint I noticed that it sports a little backpack looking thing on its rear. Does anyone know what hitbox this represents?

Its a rear hitbox, for... well...

You see,,,, TeeMerk. When a man loves a woman, well, you know--

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
lol @ "Hey guys I have an idea for an event but it costs money to do! You gotta pay for it though cause I'm a special snowflake."

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

:siren: Goon Inhouse Event Post :siren:

I saw the positive responses to my post earlier so here's the announcement.

Show up to the Goonrathi Mumble at this time on Saturday, July 9th (if you're in the eastern hemisphere, then sunday)

We will do most if not all of the suggested gimmicky bullshit for as long as people are still cool to keep going.

PS: :siren: if you have premium time banked or are willing to spend 250mc, please contact me (izov) because you gotta have premium time in order to make lobbies and i'm not giving PGI money.

Hate to be that guy, but I am assuming you meant January 9th?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I'm throwing a party at my place at -insert time-. Since it's my party though, you all have to pay for refreshments and entertainment.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
no

OhsH fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 4, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PGI's money scheme is just a bit weird in that it relies massively on extracting huge amounts of money from the whales for silly things like a month or two early access to mechs.

Now you usually get most of your money from whales. The problem PGI created for themselves is that a combination of very little grinding to buy whatever mech you want without having to progress through a tree and a lack of cheap things worth spending money on means that casual players rapidly get bored and move on. Which is death for a F2P game because casual players are the content that keeps whales playing and spending their money.

e: or you are Valve and make all your money off microtransactions because at any one time there are upwards of 600k people playing your game

e2 \/\/ I know I'm blotting out those last few posts to the last bit of the convo

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 4, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

PGI's money scheme is just a bit weird in that it relies massively on extracting huge amounts of money from the whales for silly things like a month or two early access to mechs.

Now you usually get most of your money from whales. The problem PGI created for themselves is that a combination of very little grinding to buy whatever mech you want without having to progress through a tree and a lack of cheap things worth spending money on means that casual players rapidly get bored and move on. Which is death for a F2P game because casual players are the content that keeps whales playing and spending their money.

PGI's money scheme isn't the point here. The point is some douche is being a selfish twat.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Hate to be that guy, but I am assuming you meant January 9th?

lol holy poo poo nice catch. I don't know why I wrote that.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Endbuster posted:

Its a rear hitbox, for... well...

You see,,,, TeeMerk. When a man loves a woman, well, you know--

Well this is :pgi: for all i know hitting it could cause damage to my left pinky toe.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

TeeMerk posted:

Well this is :pgi: for all i know hitting it could cause damage to my left pinky toe.

True true. We found out last night that the Marauder has a huuuuge deadzone in the middle of its back upper CT. As in, if you hit there, you will do ZERO damage.

Also yalls autism is flowing pretty nicely right now. I enjoy it. Please call the guy that wanted to put together a 'fun thing night' and asked decently enough for a banked time/cbills person to host for him a twat some more please.

Skoll posted:

Hey guys, I'm throwing a party at my place at -insert time-. Since it's my party though, you all have to pay for refreshments and entertainment.

Skoll posted:

lol @ "Hey guys I have an idea for an event but it costs money to do! You gotta pay for it though cause I'm a special snowflake."

Are you seriously going to double shitpost about the same loving thing? I guess you are.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 5, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Are 300XLs good for anything besides Jenners? I've been eyeing that Marauder pack and if it helps me dive into lights then I'll pick it up.

Come to think of it, what are useful engines to have these days?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Endbuster posted:

True true. We found out last night that the Marauder has a huuuuge deadzone in the middle of its back upper CT. As in, if you hit there, you will do ZERO damage.

Also yalls autism is flowing pretty nicely right now. I enjoy it. Please call the guy that wanted to put together a 'fun thing night' and asked decently enough for banked time/cbills donated to him a twat some more please.

I thought he just wanted someone with premium to start the matches. How do I donate premium time? I've got more than I need since I'm not convinced I'll stick with this game for 3 more months.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I mean... I have premium time, if nobody else wants to host the lobby. Who give a poo poo if the guy trying to run the event doesn't. It's not like it matters.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

adamantium|wang posted:

Are 300XLs good for anything besides Jenners? I've been eyeing that Marauder pack and if it helps me dive into lights then I'll pick it up.

Come to think of it, what are useful engines to have these days?

I use 300XLs in all my Cicadas, and even a couple of my heavies (I run an XL in a Jagermech because there's no fun builds if you're not willing to immediately explode when someone pokes your side). Actually they might be my most used engine.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I thought he just wanted someone with premium to start the matches. How do I donate premium time? I've got more than I need since I'm not convinced I'll stick with this game for 3 more months.

I don't think you can donate premium time on your account. I think you have to gift mc.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endbuster posted:

Are you seriously going to double shitpost about the same loving thing? I guess you are.

I am. Eat a dick if you don't like it, shitbird.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I believe you just have to have premium time to host a private lobby, yes? So it's not like donating anything?

getting mad about robots is exhausting y'all, I don't recommend it

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Beet Wagon posted:

I use 300XLs in all my Cicadas, and even a couple of my heavies (I run an XL in a Jagermech because there's no fun builds if you're not willing to immediately explode when someone pokes your side). Actually they might be my most used engine.

I don't think you can donate premium time on your account. I think you have to gift mc.

I've got like 600ish MC, not sure if that helps in anyway. If it does, I'll gladly send it so we can all do funny robot games.

Skoll posted:

I am. Eat a dick if you don't like it, shitbird.

You seem weirdly angry about this, maybe you should take a break for a bit.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm an angry person.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

I've got like 600ish MC, not sure if that helps in anyway. If it does, I'll gladly send it so we can all do funny robot games.

You seem weirdly angry about this, maybe you should take a break for a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it. Somebody will show up who has premium. If nobody does, use it to buy yourself a week of PT and just host the lobby yourself.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

I believe you just have to have premium time to host a private lobby, yes? So it's not like donating anything?

Even worse is getting mad at other people about robots.

Also if I am around on Saturday I have my shame premium so I can host matches.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

gently caress it, let's just syncdrop like the old times, if we miss we miss.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

TeeMerk posted:

I already volunteered to host

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

anyone can host a 12v12 in the private lobby, but only having a premium account holder as the company commander for each team allows you to play with the rules. Like dropping the "Full Teams" requirement.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Beraiye posted:

anyone can host a 12v12 in the private lobby, but only having a premium account holder as the company commander for each team allows you to play with the rules. Like dropping the "Full Teams" requirement.

Yeah, there will always be some goon with premium (I can't believe that might be accurate :psyduck: ), but the reward should be having a drunk Backhack/Ohsh/G1mmel running spectator commontary.

Goons are prone to poor fiscal choices tho, one may offer it, but it shouldn't be the default carrot for the event.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Ice Fist posted:

It just means Alpine is dying a slow death. Which is exactly what it deserves.

If you get that most holy of holies, Skirmish on Alpine, which you inevitably will because the people who vote for Alpine also always vote for Skirmish, just run off to a nice hiding place and power down. Say in chat that your baby suddenly needs attending to or something and that you'll be right back, then go watch youtube or read a book or even post on forums or whatever. Make sure your cockpit is facing a wall or something else to prevent the team from figuring out where you are. Force them to realize the error in their voting as they wait for the match to time out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Sard posted:

If you get that most holy of holies, Skirmish on Alpine, which you inevitably will because the people who vote for Alpine also always vote for Skirmish, just run off to a nice hiding place and power down. Say in chat that your baby suddenly needs attending to or something and that you'll be right back, then go watch youtube or read a book or even post on forums or whatever. Make sure your cockpit is facing a wall or something else to prevent the team from figuring out where you are. Force them to realize the error in their voting as they wait for the match to time out.

Unfortunately most people know to just hit F9 and get your position data, then 11 people report you for griefing.

• Locked thread