Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I'm always happy to have more J.K. Simmons in my life but I still kind of wish Mads Mikkelsen was voicing the villain, if only out of morbid curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stayne Falls posted:

Hadn't even heard of this movie till now, really want this question answered. (I am bad at the Google.)

My overwhelming hatred of that book influenced the studio psychically and made them cancel it.

Or it's just a massive turd and they'll dump it out eventually (probably September since it's not on the January schedule).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

So Kung Fu Panda 3 comes out at the end of the month. I bet Star Wars will still gross more that weekend than Kung Fu Panda.

KFP1 and 2 were really good, but I've yet to see a trailer for 3 that doesn't make it look like leftovers and rejects of ideas from the first two.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

Gods of Egypt looks kind of cool, it's the same guys who did the Immortals right?

If by "Immortals" you mean "I, Robot," then yes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I want so badly for Gods of Egypt to be as good as Immortals.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

broken clock opsec posted:

KFP1 and 2 were really good, but I've yet to see a trailer for 3 that doesn't make it look like leftovers and rejects of ideas from the first two.

No shame in losing to star wars tho...

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Byzantine posted:

I want so badly for Gods of Egypt to be as good as Immortals.

It's trying so hard to ape Tarsem Singh's style, too. It's almost kind of endearing.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It looks like it's gone far, far harder on the colours and over-the-top designs. To quote an article on SA: "it looks like how a Saudi sheik would imagine heaven". Movie looks only a couple steps down from this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0

I like it. I mean, it's ancient Egyptian gods turning into mechs, basically. Why not, I say?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

raditts posted:

I hope it's a remake of No Retreat No Surrender.

Was that a sequel to The Thundergun Express?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

well why not posted:

It looks like it's gone far, far harder on the colours and over-the-top designs. To quote an article on SA: "it looks like how a Saudi sheik would imagine heaven". Movie looks only a couple steps down from this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0

I like it. I mean, it's ancient Egyptian gods turning into mechs, basically. Why not, I say?

Gods Of Egypt: Are You Ready For, Ready For, A Perfect Snore, Perfect Snore? - Gene Shalit

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If Gods of Egypt features a scene where Gerard Butler gorges himself on a tiny pyramid of Twinkies and a bowl of Flamin' Hot Cheetos before shooting lightning out of his hands, I might consider going to see it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

To be considered a "success" a movie has to make roughly about triple it's budget back. Production budgets listed usually don't include marketing budgets, which are usually a third to half the movie's budget. There is also reception rating, a studio is less likely to make a sequel even if the profitability of the previous film made it a moderate success but people walked out of the film not liking it. Obviously these aren't solid rules, just rough guidelines taught in production classes.

Remember that the Lord of the Rings trilogy actually lost money because Hollywood accounting makes no sense at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Remember that the Lord of the Rings trilogy actually lost money because Hollywood accounting makes no sense at all.

That's not what was being talked about. Movies all "lose" money because studios set up a corporation for each separate film, feed money into it, and then that corporation loses money while the studio reaps all the cash. That's Hollywood accounting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

That's not what was being talked about. Movies all "lose" money because studios set up a corporation for each separate film, feed money into it, and then that corporation loses money while the studio reaps all the cash. That's Hollywood accounting.

There's nothing about a movie's finances that's known to the public. For example, that "1/3 of box office revenue = actual revenue" statistic above is the first time I've ever heard that number come up, and this discussion has been had many many times before.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Timby posted:

Oh, it most certainly is too late. Rovio has essentially laid off any staff that isn't working on the movie, and they've poured effectively all their remaining cash on hand into financing the production and marketing. When it flops, it will very likely bankrupt the company.

Do you have a link to something about this? I just saw a commercial for that movie and everything about it was poo poo. It sounds pretty bizarre, but if this is what they really did then they deserve to go out of business.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I figured Rovio died after they started making $60 Angry Bird games.

computer parts posted:

There's nothing about a movie's finances that's known to the public. For example, that "1/3 of box office revenue = actual revenue" statistic above is the first time I've ever heard that number come up, and this discussion has been had many many times before.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/mar/06/business/fi-boxoffice6
http://trueherostudio.com/producer-blog/what-to-budget-for-marketing-a-film
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2014/02/11/how-has-movie-marketing-and-distribution-evolved-over-time/

It's not hard to find information about this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

One of those articles is about how it's hard to determine how much money studios get from ticket prices, one of those articles is about how it's hard to accurately determine marketing budgets, and one of them extrapolates the marketing budget for horror movies as an argument about how marketing budgets in general have skyrocketed.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Inexplicable movies based on flash-in-the-pan freeware games, you say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MKLNyKGUUI

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

computer parts posted:

Three times the production budget to be successful (not simply profitable) is a pretty common bit of shorthand.

Here's the thing: there's a fuckton of variables involved and every movie is contracted separately. The cut of the ticket prices, the affect of the drop off, how the marketing budget is handled, how much of a cut each of the multiple layers of distribution get, and that's just getting started. But these factors also not wildly all over the place; they follow some general patterns. So people have made some simple rules of thumb that are helpful for giving someone with an external view a general idea of how things turned out. Accurate? Hell no. But it's worlds better than looking at the total gross, comparing it to the production budget, and going, "That movie made a ton of money!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

Three times the production budget to be successful (not simply profitable) is a pretty common bit of shorthand.

Here's the thing: there's a fuckton of variables involved and every movie is contracted separately. The cut of the ticket prices, the affect of the drop off, how the marketing budget is handled, how much of a cut each of the multiple layers of distribution get, and that's just getting started. But these factors also not wildly all over the place; they follow some general patterns. So people have made some simple rules of thumb that are helpful for giving someone with an external view a general idea of how things turned out. Accurate? Hell no. But it's worlds better than looking at the total gross, comparing it to the production budget, and going, "That movie made a ton of money!"

The other thing is that none of those articles mention the "three times production budget" rule.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For years, I'd always heard double the budget. That would be enough to figure in marketing and associated costs and give even allow for enough profit at the very end to keep the machine running or break even.

Also, you have things like product placement that might offset the costs of the film. Merchandising, too. I sort of never figured the craze of stuff like Anchorman and Old School being thrown onto school school supplies in the last few years at Wal-Mart.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

JediTalentAgent posted:

For years, I'd always heard double the budget. That would be enough to figure in marketing and associated costs and give even allow for enough profit at the very end to keep the machine running or break even.

Also, you have things like product placement that might offset the costs of the film. Merchandising, too. I sort of never figured the craze of stuff like Anchorman and Old School being thrown onto school school supplies in the last few years at Wal-Mart.

I once heard that Man Of Steel's entire production budget was covered through product placement alone. I wonder how much profit it made compared to films that nominally made more money.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HorseRenoir posted:

I once heard that Man Of Steel's entire production budget was covered through product placement alone. I wonder how much profit it made compared to films that nominally made more money.

What's also important to remember is that a film can have a net loss and still be deemed a success.

Like, even if Star Wars "only" made back its production budget and about half of its marketing budget, it probably made about 4 times (made up number) in revenue from merchandising. Over $1 billion in just the US is expected from Star Wars merchandise this year.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A lot of that production budget stuff is also bunk because a lot of big budget films get enough tax breaks due to tricks and product placement deals they make money before they've even filmed. It's actually the middle to low budget films that cost more money to make for big studios. Smaller indie studios often make enough money off of presales overseas that their small budget pictures will have at least broken even before they begin filming, too. Besides all that, the entire accounting is purposefully a gigantic mess, and studios are constantly being sued, and constantly settling lawsuits so they don't have to open their books. Next time some hackers go after a studio's email, maybe they should take out their Quickbooks instead

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I live in Connecticut and for a few years we were giving tax credits and suddenly a lot of movies decided to film here, like Indy 4 and War of the Worlds. Credits are gone, productions are gone too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

Besides all that, the entire accounting is purposefully a gigantic mess, and studios are constantly being sued, and constantly settling lawsuits so they don't have to open their books. Next time some hackers go after a studio's email, maybe they should take out their Quickbooks instead

I've heard some people think that their accounting practices will fall apart if someone manages to get them into court someplace other than California.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

I remember hearing a long time ago that Tomorrow Never Dies was the first movie to do this.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
This analysis is specific to Star Wars, but it provides a nice overview of how much money (at the extreme end of the spectrum) can be made from all of the tie-in media/merchandise channels:

http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/2015/12/intergalactic-finance-valuing-star-wars.html

The tldr punchline is that the Star Wars franchise has made ~$4 from other sources for every $1 of box office revenue.

SetPhazers2Funk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 4, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think the important thing is Valentine's Day is just around the corner and this is the last, best chance for them to milk some more money out of Paul Blart with some cards.
"You've won my BLART", "You're such a BLARTbreaker.", "I (BLART) you.", etc.

Comparatively speaking, I sort of think there is probably more disappointment in Pixels than Blart on more levels. It seemed like a movie that felt like it was really screaming out to be a big enough hit that it could get all sorts of merchandising stuff churned out for it eventually in addition to what was sold at Hot Topic and Gamestop. I was sort of thinking it had the highest hopes for a short-run animated series, a limited edition PS4/Pixels bundle for the 2015 holidays, maybe some Funko figures, etc.

edit: Of course, the Sandler/Sony situation probably had deteriorated so much I don't think they were going to do much more for the film after it was done.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't see how the new Jungle Book movie could possibly top the 1994 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyGlha4DIhg

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

smackfu posted:

Yeah, I live in Connecticut and for a few years we were giving tax credits and suddenly a lot of movies decided to film here, like Indy 4 and War of the Worlds. Credits are gone, productions are gone too.

The same thing happened with Chicago, especially after The Dark Knight. Then an unpaid extra got her skull split by a bridge cable in Transformers 3 and those tax credits all went away.

(she lived!)

bartok
May 10, 2006

Apparently Ohio is picking up the slack for Connecticut and Illinois. Though I don't think the Cincinnati filmed Carol or Miles Ahead belong in this thread but the upcoming low budget Columbus filmed Schwarzenegger film might. For some reason Cincinnati has become the go to stand-in for 1950's New York City.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

This analysis is specific to Star Wars, but it provides a nice overview of how much money (at the extreme end of the spectrum) can be made from all of the tie-in media/merchandise channels:

http://aswathdamodaran.blogspot.com/2015/12/intergalactic-finance-valuing-star-wars.html

The tldr punchline is that the Star Wars franchise has made ~$4 from other sources for every $1 of box office revenue.
I believe the merch for the Cars films has made something like 10 times the combined box office of the movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Based on my son's preferences Cars merchandise is still making money. He LOVES that poo poo, and there's still a decent-sized section of Toys R Us devoted to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Based on my son's preferences Cars merchandise is still making money. He LOVES that poo poo, and there's still a decent-sized section of Toys R Us devoted to it.

Cars is absolutely humongous. It beggars belief. It's like a Skylanders type thing where you think "who is still buying this poo poo"?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There are always more 5 year old's

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cars is absolutely humongous. It beggars belief. It's like a Skylanders type thing where you think "who is still buying this poo poo"?

Oh, I can help you with that too. My wife loves Skylanders. Thank God she's a cheapskate. She mostly buys old lots off eBay (I splashed for a few new ones for Christmas). I would love to track the lifecycle of one of those plastic hunks of poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oh, I can help you with that too. My wife loves Skylanders. Thank God she's a cheapskate. She mostly buys old lots off eBay (I splashed for a few new ones for Christmas). I would love to track the lifecycle of one of those plastic hunks of poo poo.

aatrek spotted

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aren't the characters from the different version incompatible with one another? And it seemed like one of those things came out like every 6 months for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

All characters are forward-compatible, which means they'll work in any game that comes out after that point. However there are game design decisions that push people to buy a pretty good spread of the new characters.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

aatrek spotted

I don't get the joke, so I don't know why you're calling me a child molester.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread