Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Is there a specific level I should wait to be at before exploring Sylvalum further? I'm 32 with the most expensive skell, decked out with the most intergalactic weapons a stud like me can get thus far, but I still get wrecked regardless, relegating my travel to hugging the mountainside, hoping nothing sees me. It got to a point where a couple of the FrontierNav sites are guarded by enemies I can't kill.

I'm only on I think chapter 6 so maybe I should hold off for a bit.

To add to the previous response:

Quite a lot of the stuff that will ruin your day in a skell will be content to completely ignore you on foot.

Stay away from flowers, shrubbery, odd looking rock outcroppings... basically everything.

Actually, stay away from rocks in general, unless you like having a Thallus or an Ictus pop up to ruin your day.

An awful lot of those big ugly critters that like sitting on probe points are visual aggro, so you can pick the point up if you're careful and stay behind them. A visial cloaking aug might help, but you can do it just fine without them.

The big wide field leading up to Cauldros is relatively safe, and the early parts of Cauldros themselves aren't that bad if the weather's not acting up. The beaches are also surprisingly friendly if you go by water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When your she'll is destroyed you get a quick time circle. If you get a perfect you don't lose any insurance, you come out with full health and all your arts at level two.

If you get a good you use one insurance and come out with full health.

If you fail you lose two insurance and come out with 1 hp

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

greatn posted:

If you fail you lose two insurance and come out with 1 hp

No, you still only lose 1, as far as I can see.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AI members always get perfect ejects from their skells, so if you have a skell that's running low on insurance, just pass that one off to a party member.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
falling into the abyss doesn't give you a qte prompt :'(

also vandham why do you keep calling people eggheads, you were the chief engineer why you frontin'

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you're going to sylvalum pay attention to the xe-dom patrol routes. They'll ignore you if you're on foot provided you don't accidently hit one, but they have a huge bone to pick with skells. Felt so good when I got a level 50 skell and could finally take one of those fuckers down.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

chumbler posted:

Also you kind of have to mix up your party a lot to get some more personality out of them from after battle exchanges and their heart responses to things you say when talking to people.

You can hear the after-battle exchanges? I can't, unless I turn the volume up, and then the music during battle is too loud. God the sound mixing in this game is atrocious. I loved that stuff in the first Xenoblade, but after a hundred hours in this one I still couldn't tell you how any of them go.

year199X posted:

Is there any reason to not be in skells all the time now that I have them?

In addition to the stuff about aggro that was already mentioned, you also can't target appendages on smaller enemies if you're in a skell, which could bite you in the rear end later if you want to craft stuff and don't have the materials. Also you'll run out of fuel, which may or may not be an issue depending on how good your FrontierNav setup is, or whether or not you've maxed all the arms manufacturers already

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Louisgod posted:

The only character I've found incredibly interesting is Professor B, mostly because of the mythos of the human race and nod to BTTF. I hope he comes back.

He comes back in chapter 7 and you want to do that ASAP because he gives you those sweet sweet Gravity Attribute weapons

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Chapter 11 spoilers:

"We can't risk damaging the data terminal, so let's let him get away so we can risk damaging the data terminal in a boss fight arena instead."

"It's not fair that some people died, so I'll make sure everyone dies!"

"Elma, we're on the same side even though he's clearly marked himself as a traitor and tried to kill us!"

Then the game takes control of my character and forces me to be as stupid as Lin instead of helping Elma pull the trigger? In the words of Waluigi, "You're Lao Z!" :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspicious Cook posted:

Chapter 11 spoilers:

"We can't risk damaging the data terminal, so let's let him get away so we can risk damaging the data terminal in a boss fight arena instead."

"Elma, we're on the same side even though he's clearly marked himself as a traitor and tried to kill us!"

Then the game takes control of my character and forces me to be as stupid as Lin instead of helping Elma pull the trigger? In the words of Waluigi, "You're Lao Z!" :v:

I hated that too. The only reason I'd have picked, given the choice, for walking over there is to put a bullet in Lao's head myself. Also remember that moment; It will hurt more later.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
And then when I turn it in they try to paint Irina as coming from the same place? She's never once shown suicidal tendencies and she was even on my team to go hunt down Lao! Please don't disrespect a valued member of BLADE by comparing her to a traitor that literally tried to kill every single human being.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

Chapter 11 spoilers:

You should play Chapter 12 immediately!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

And then when I turn it in they try to paint Irina as coming from the same place? She's never once shown suicidal tendencies and she was even on my team to go hunt down Lao! Please don't disrespect a valued member of BLADE by comparing her to a traitor that literally tried to kill every single human being.

Irina is cool and probably the closest the game gets to having someone approaching a reasonable human. I kinda feel like she's more or less the fourth party member, but they didn't want to force a completely static party for the story missions.

She is too good for Gwin.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Suspicious Cook posted:

Yeah, that really bothered me too. Not only did Irina never show any suicidal tendencies, you also literally have to complete a Gwin affinity mission right before chapter 11 and he never once mentions it to the party then. So that's two steps removed from the player: You don't get too see Irina in action and you don't get to see Gwin coming to Elma because he's concerned about her. Both of these things would have been great character building, and god knows that Gwin needed it, but nope, let's just have Lin mention it once and never have it come up again!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TurnipFritter posted:

you also literally have to complete a Gwin affinity mission right before chapter 11 and he never once mentions it to the party then.

Why did I have to do a Gwin quest first, anyway? He didn't have any baring on the story mission at all and the only mentioning of Irina is that he had a crush on her. Maybe that's why she's so depressed. :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also remember that moment; It will hurt more later.

Looper posted:

You should play Chapter 12 immediately!

Oh boy, I can't wait. :smithicide:

Chapter 12 will wait for another time. I'm going to clean up the new batch of "talk to this person" quests first. Probably tomorrow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh guys? Someone get the Mediators, I think we have a Definian in our midst... :ohdear:

I was Tryp-in' balls

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Apparently because of a dialogue choice in an earlier sidequest Cavern Clan couldn't help Tree Clan defend the East Gate from indigens and a bunch of Tree Clan warriors died as a result. Not to mention the 10,000-year animosity continuing :ohdear:.

Sooooo what quest was this?

I tried to get slovity to help cause we're bros, but she wanted nothing to do with tree clan :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sooooo what quest was this?

I tried to get slovity to help cause we're bros, but she wanted nothing to do with tree clan :(

It's a dialogue option in one of Slovity's quests, I can't remember which.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a dialogue option in one of Slovity's quests, I can't remember which.

So if I had answered in a specific way, slovity would have helped? I haven't completed that quest because I was afraid I hosed something up. She did initially show up offering to help, I think and tree clan was like "FUCKIN CAVERN CLAN EAT poo poo" so she was moping on the ma-non ship.

Maybe that's the good way, that she initiated help?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So if I had answered in a specific way, slovity would have helped? I haven't completed that quest because I was afraid I hosed something up. She did initially show up offering to help, I think and tree clan was like "FUCKIN CAVERN CLAN EAT poo poo" so she was moping on the ma-non ship.

Maybe that's the good way, that she initiated help?

Nope, I checked the guide. There's an actual outcome of "Cavern Clan helped, no-one died as a result". Though if you talk to the Tree Clan guy that started the quest afterwards, he does actually say "..We probably should've let them help us...".

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, I checked the guide. There's an actual outcome of "Cavern Clan helped, no-one died as a result". Though if you talk to the Tree Clan guy that started the quest afterwards, he does actually say "..We probably should've let them help us...".

Well gently caress. I wish I had known what it was I should have picked.

I hope in a year or so there will be a better guide or wiki that lists each quest and what happens for each options. I'll probably replay the game then.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do you get to either the extreme east or the very north of Noctilum? I need 30% survey rate there for the next story mission, and the only probes i haven't put down are in those areas.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you get to either the extreme east or the very north of Noctilum? I need 30% survey rate there for the next story mission, and the only probes i haven't put down are in those areas.

The one to the East is actually on the coast near the water. You have to have the flight module to get up north and even then at least one of them requires level 5 mechanical.

Also, everything up north wants you dead and can accomplish that very easily.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does that mean you have to swim to the one in the east?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Just go loot some Segment treasure chests (the map segments with two sparkles over them) and do some side-missions if you don't have probe sites available.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Does that mean you have to swim to the one in the east?

Unless you can find a way to jump over the mountain to it, yes. I think I had the flight module when I went looking for it, though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just go loot some Segment treasure chests (the map segments with two sparkles over them) and do some side-missions if you don't have probe sites available.

This is probably the easiest way to take care of that exploration problem, though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have not been having good lucking finding those, which is why i decided to go for the probes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can swim to the FN on the east coast of Noctilum. Nothing north of the giant waterfall with the things hanging over it is accessible on foot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Okay the final affinity missions in the barracks are total bullshit. "Hey want to fight two level 80 things you can't even hit, at the same time with basically no warning when the last fight was just a mere 60 and the level requirement is 58? We sure hope so, because now you're locked into it!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Okay the final affinity missions in the barracks are total bullshit. "Hey want to fight two level 80 things you can't even hit, at the same time with basically no warning when the last fight was just a mere 60 and the level requirement is 58? We sure hope so, because now you're locked into it!"

Stack up on XX M-Accuracy's, and focus-fire on one of them with your Skells. G-Busters do decent damage to them.

Also the Wrothian Battle Gauntlet is a fun questline. It's a steamroll all the way to the end, even on foot, and then the last guy breaks out his loving Level 90 Skell. I only had one Skell on me at the time and having it appear at the start of the fight was a real "Hahaha... Oh, I'm boned... :stare:" moment.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

chumbler posted:

What I ended up doing is getting out of my skell and dying over and over on purpose to lower the difficulty and then fighting them one at a time. They don't aggro unless you hit them, so pull one away and kill it. Just be careful not to aoe the other one, or aoe the first's respawn while fighting the second.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

chumbler posted:

Hope you did the Hexad Partican one first, because that thing will wreck them. Mostly.

That or farm up an Ares 90.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Wait, so I need to do Doug and Gwin's second affinity missions to finish the plot? Damnit, now I need to use them for so many side missions to boost their affinity, since they're both at like one heart each. And I was in the middle of getting the C-team's affinity up to. Guess its time to boost the E-team.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Wait, so I need to do Doug and Gwin's second affinity missions to finish the plot? Damnit, now I need to use them for so many side missions to boost their affinity, since they're both at like one heart each. And I was in the middle of getting the C-team's affinity up to. Guess its time to boost the E-team.

Boot Camp only requires one Hart with Gwin.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well gently caress. I wish I had known what it was I should have picked.

I hope in a year or so there will be a better guide or wiki that lists each quest and what happens for each options. I'll probably replay the game then.

I haven't done the later quests yet but during the quest where I had to find Slovity's team I didn't side with her & told her that talking with the Tree Clan guy is more important (so I'll go find her team instead). They seemed to be getting along by the time I got back so maybe that's it?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

kirbysuperstar posted:

I was Tryp-in' balls

Hey that's me! And me! I definitely need to update my shared avatar though, he's gotten a little work done.

So, end of game spoilers I finished the game and I'm actually reasonably happy with how they left it. The "there's something weird about this planet..." thing was already coming if you'd been paying attention (aliens all share language, Professor B can't time travel away from Mira, some NPC mentions that human and Ma-non scientists have found that the space around Mira is "smaller" somehow than it should be. Not only that, it's definitely a hook into "keep doing endgame and side missions and stuff to explore the planet, which is the most fun part of the game." I foresaw that Elma was either going to be an AI or an alien with all the references to her mysterious past, so that was pretty natural. Tatsu calling the humans "hom homs" and then grinning at the camera actually got a laugh out of me. I was initially pissed with Lin about Lao but I actually bought her explanation, that if she was told that she could save her family but it turned out to all be a lie, she'd feel incredibly betrayed by the project too. Lao coming back to make amends also helped. I was initially annoyed by Doug being an rear end in a top hat seemingly out of nowhere but then I remembered that he and Lao have been friends and worked together for like a decade so he would have taken Lao's betrayal the hardest.

At this point, the only mysteries that look like they have no explanation whatsoever is who "the Great One" is, where the Vita came from and why it was with the Tainted, what the Tainted even were, what Telethia is, who the other alien faction fighting with the Ganglion at the beginning of the game were... We know the Vita is similar in make to the Ares, which Elma brought with her. Maybe some of the postgame answers this. Guess I'll find out because I'm ready to jump in.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 6, 2016

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Are there certain Field Treasure things that only show up after you make a given amount of progress? There's a treasure segment in Noctilum near one of the Coil Trees northwest of the Elephant Trunk land bridge and the mini-map is not showing the little yellow square anywhere while I'm in that segment. Also I don't have the game running atm so I can't really be more specific. Anyway, do some of these just not show up right away or am I not looking hard enough?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bloodychill posted:

Hey that's me! And me! I definitely need to update my shared avatar though, he's gotten a little work done.

This was aaaaaages ago, so don't fret too much :v:

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Vanrushal posted:

Are there certain Field Treasure things that only show up after you make a given amount of progress? There's a treasure segment in Noctilum near one of the Coil Trees northwest of the Elephant Trunk land bridge and the mini-map is not showing the little yellow square anywhere while I'm in that segment. Also I don't have the game running atm so I can't really be more specific. Anyway, do some of these just not show up right away or am I not looking hard enough?

If I'm thinking of the right one, try going up. Waaaaay up. The little square doesn't show on the mini-map if you're far above or below it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Vanrushal posted:

Some of the markers don't appear if you aren't on the same elevation as the treasure sometimes, I think

• Locked thread