Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You don't hear about it much but Occupy did, in fact, get the FBI's attention and there was a massive nationwide crackdown on it.

Ten guys sitting in an empty building nobody had any plans to use at the time is quite different than Occupy. This is massively different than Occupy in so many ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

Lotka Volterra posted:

Afaik, yes. The hope is that they'll just get bored and leave, but assuming that doesn't happen the "ignore them" strategy is going to fall flat on its face.

Ok, how about calling them campers..... They can be ignored of 14 days at least if they flow the rules.......... http://www.blm.gov/or/faq/ Under recreation

quote:

Are there limits on how long I can stay at BLM recreation sites?

The limit for length of stay at BLM recreation sites in Oregon and Washington is 14 days. This applies to all sites, both those that charge fees and those that are free.

Where can I shoot my gun on BLM public lands?

State and local laws relating to the use of firearms or other weapons apply on public lands due to proximity to residential areas, high recreational use, or other resource concerns.

It is legal to discharge firearms including handguns, rifles, and shotguns on public lands in Oregon and Washington as long as you are outside of designated developed sites and areas that have been closed to shooting due to proximity to residential areas. Consult with the BLM District where you want to shoot to determine which areas are closed. The BLM in the Pacific Northwest does not maintain any designated shooting ranges. While shooting please remember it is illegal to:

Create a hazard or nuisance.
Dispose of cans, bottles, and other nonflammable trash and garbage except in designated places or receptacles-pack it in, pack it out.
Deface, remove, or destroy plants or their parts, soil, rocks or minerals, or cave resources.
Deface, disturb, remove, or destroy any personal property, or structures, or scientific, cultural, or archeological or historic resource, natural object, or area.

So they can stay for 14 days as long as they do not actually fire the guns they have leave trash or generally be dicks. If they stay longer then fine them. BAD CAMPERS!!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anosmoman posted:

What if they stay "for years" as they plan? When should they be evicted and how many federal agents should lay down their lives to do it?

By then, there'll only be a couple of them left. Pretty hard to earn your livelihood protesting in another state, and unlike Occupy, these guys probably don't still have their parents paying their rent. They'll thin out within a few months, and if needed, an intervention against the few remaining holdouts will be much safer.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How many of them work for Cliven, I wonder.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ziptar posted:

Ok, how about calling them campers..... They can be ignored of 14 days at least if they flow the rules.......... http://www.blm.gov/or/faq/ Under recreation

So they can stay for 14 days as long as they do not actually fire the guns they have leave trash or generally be dicks. If they stay longer then fine them. BAD CAMPERS!!!

The national wildlife refuge isn't BLM land.

quote:

Camping is not available on Malheur Refuge, but the BLM Page Springs Campground, located at the southern end of the Refuge is open year round. Other nearby BLM campgrounds include South Steens, Fish Lake, and Jackman Park. Visit the BLM Burns District web site or call 541-573-4400 for details.
http://www.malheurfriends.org/links.html

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
can another movement go out there to protest their protest? or would these hickbillies gun them down on sight?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Are they racking up charges or will these clowns just walk away at the end of this? (Assuming no shots are fired, which I feel is what they are hoping for)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Scott Forstall posted:

Are they racking up charges or will these clowns just walk away at the end of this? (Assuming no shots are fired, which I feel is what they are hoping for)

Based on the Ranch standoff, I predict one of the following:

a) They freeze their nuts off, claim victory, and disperse with no charges.
b) They accidentally light themselves on fire, claim Waco, and disperse with no charges.
c) An argument devolves into an intragroup firefight, some are killed, and the rest disperse with no charges.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Does Alex Jones think this protest is a FALSE FLAG? Guess. Go on, take a wild guess. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGe9BKuE_bM

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I didn't realize that George Soros had been upgraded to "Conqueror of Europe" from his run-of-the-mill shadowy, nefarious deeds.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Volkerball posted:

I wonder how a republican president would react to a left wing armed occupation like this.

A left wing group would argue among themselves and split up before they made it past Winnemucca though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Joementum posted:

Does Alex Jones think this protest is a FALSE FLAG? Guess. Go on, take a wild guess. :allears:

:siren:Political correctness.:siren:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So Obama's set to announce gun control reform? That's, interesting.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

If you get Alex Jones to admit that he himself is a false flag, does he collapse in on himself like a dying star?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Joementum posted:

I don't know why but it makes me sad that sweet little innocent Macs are forced to search incoherent conspiracy theories and record limp-dick white man rantings.

Go use a Dell or HP, they already come from broken homes.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

ufarn posted:

So Obama's set to announce gun control reform? That's, interesting.

It would be a much better response to these people than gunning them down on site.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Scott Forstall posted:

I don't know why but it makes me sad that sweet little innocent Macs are forced to search incoherent conspiracy theories and record limp-dick white man rantings.

Go use a Dell or HP, they already come from broken homes.

Steve Jobs is the ultimate limp dick white man.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Despite the White House announcement, it does appear that the FBI is involved.

WaPo posted:

BURNS, Ore. — The FBI is leading the investigation into the armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon and says it will work with local and state authorities to seek “a peaceful resolution to the situation.”

What this resolution could look like remained unclear on Monday. Federal authorities said they would not elaborate on how they plan to respond, while the occupiers said Monday they did not believe law enforcement would try to force them off of the refuge.

The FBI said it was working with the Harney County Sheriff’s Office, the Oregon State Police and other local and state agencies in response to the situation in eastern Oregon, the latest chapter in an ongoing fight over federal land use in the West.

“Due to safety considerations for both those inside the refuge as well as the law enforcement officers involved, we will not be releasing any specifics with regards to the law enforcement response,” the FBI said in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/01/04/fbi-takes-lead-on-investigating-armed-takeover-of-federal-building-in-oregon/

I don't think it should surprise anyone that detailed plans aren't being released to the press. I also don't see what's wrong with taking their good, sweet time about it. You've got a bunch of armed and unstable radicals who have voluntarily removed themselves from populated areas, so if anything the feds are probably tempted to prolong this as much as possible.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The truly insane thing about this is that people ever viewed Waco and Ruby Ridge as sad or regrettable in any way, at least compared to what is visited upon minorities every loving day.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You don't hear about it much but Occupy did, in fact, get the FBI's attention and there was a massive nationwide crackdown on it.

Ten guys sitting in an empty building nobody had any plans to use at the time is quite different than Occupy. This is massively different than Occupy in so many ways.

Also the FBI (and other agencies) have no issue infiltrating and destroying white supremacist groups and has done so many times. It just doesn't make the news much but pretty much any "militia" worth talking about is heavily monitored. The idea that they are being left alone because the are white is idiotic, it's because they are in the middle of nowhere.

Radbot posted:

The truly insane thing about this is that people ever viewed Waco and Ruby Ridge as sad or regrettable in any way, at least compared to what is visited upon minorities every loving day.

Crab bucket mentality dot txt.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Law enforcement press conference will be streamed here whenever it starts: http://koin.com/koin-video-extras/

There's a reporter that doesn't know the mic is on debating how to pronounce Hammond over the phone with someone.

Edit: Starting now aaaand it's already over. Sheriff said "Please leave." that was about it.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 5, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That was pretty magnificent. I feel a bit sorry for the press corps, who got all set up for it.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Fluffy Unicorn"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The Oregon rebels are bronies.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
As an occasional Federal employee this poo poo really gets under my skin. This site (http://www.hcn.org/issues/46.18/reports-from-the-front-lines) has a pretty cute compilation of some of the yahoos that land management employees have to deal with. The fact that I have to worry about assholes like this while I just put in my forty and earn a paycheck like most other Americans is infuriating.

I do understand where much of the frustration from ranchers and such comes from--Federal regulations can be quite obstructive. But I don't see how turning Federal land over to the states would change a drat thing--is that not just trading one bureaucratic overseer for another?

This is a big deal in Utah, and the state itself commissioned a report examining the feasibility of transferring federal land to the state. And found that the only way the state could afford it would be excessive mineral leasing and crossing their fingers that oil prices stayed high (http://publiclands.utah.gov/current-projects/transfer-of-public-lands-act/)

Bunch of fatties pissed that they're not allowed to drive ATV's wherever they want--without enough brain cells to realize that a land transfer would assuredly limit public access to public land far more than it now is.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you get Alex Jones to admit that he himself is a false flag, does he collapse in on himself like a dying star?
Truly, is there a false flag so large that Alex Jones himself cannot fly it?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Radbot posted:

Come on, those were huge gently caress-ups. Ruby Ridge started off with some bullshit weapons charges because the guy wouldn't be their informant, then they told him the wrong date he was supposed to go to court, and rather than correcting that, they issued a warrant and surrounded his property. And then later sent a USMS team to his property and shot his dog and child. And then they issued shoot on sight orders for all adults in the house based on a bullshit claim that they fired upon a news helicopter. Then they shot him, his friend, and his wife, who was holding a loving baby at the time, while they were trying to run for cover.

How is that not sad or regrettable in any way?

Xandu fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 5, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Why exactly are these men not being evicted? Is there any rhyme or reason to it beyond not legitimizing their dumb movement with a response? They're occupying a federal building, yes? Really feels like there's a law against that somewhere.

Presidential election.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Surely the obvious solution here is for a BLM guy to go to them and say

'Ok guys, we surrender, due to your magical constitution powers. We're signing over the first million acres to your group. We're filling out the land deeds now, we just need to know how do you want to apportion it amongst yourself?'

Then quickly duck out of the sight, and arrest anyone still breathing after the inevitable gunfight breaks out.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Xandu posted:

How is that not sad or regrettable in any way?

Radbot is wrong but I think there is general irritation that there appears to be two completely separate justice systems depending upon the color of your skin and what you believe.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
per Kelly House, from the Oregonian, it appears that the FBI and local law enforcement are using the local high school (the same place that supertiny presser was just held) as their base of operations.

quote:

Lincoln Junior High School in downtown Burns remained closed to the public Monday, with law enforcement workers replacing the students and teachers who were previously scheduled to fill its halls for the first day back from the winter break.

Instead, the school has become a command outpost of sorts.

Roads within a block of the building were cordoned off Monday afternoon while an officer guarded the school's front doors. Men emerged from vehicles parked outside, carrying large metal boxes. One box was labeled "laptops."

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Rough transcription of the press conference, I'm no court reporter so forgive any minor errors:

quote:

Good afternoon, my name is David Ward, the Sheriff of Harney County, Oregon. The Hammonds have turned themselves in today, at 1:37 pm, in accordance with the law, and are currently in custody at a federal correctional institution in California.

Harney County is a community of approximately 7,000 people. most of us, about 5k, live in the communities of Burns and Hines. This event has significantly impacted our community. Our goal is to work together and restore calm and regular services for the people of that community.

This incident originally started out when people from outside of the area and state arrived in an attempt to prevent the Hammonds from returning to prison. This began as a peaceful protest, it took an unfortunate turn when some of those folks broke off and began an armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

The Harney County commissioners and I have requested law enforcement assistance from Oregon State Sheriff's Association and the Oregon State Police. Sheriffs offices from around the state have also sent resources to assist us.

We requested this additional support to make sure the citizens of Harney County are safe, this is our top priority.

I want to talk directly to the ppl at the wildlife refuge. You said you were here to help the citizens of Harney County, that help ended when a peaceful protest became an armed occupation.

The Hammonds have turned themselves in. It is time for you to leave our community, go home to your families and end this peacefully. Thanks for your time.

go home.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Torpor posted:

Radbot is wrong but I think there is general irritation that there appears to be two completely separate justice systems depending upon the color of your skin and what you believe.

And that's totally fair and I completely agree. But the problem is that sometimes people take that too far and rather than just advocating for treating all groups fairly, there's this almost bloodlust that white people aren't being shot by police too. And that makes me uncomfortable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

:siren:MAYDAY SEND CASHEWS AND RED BULL:siren:

They didn't prepare at all did they? He's got his Magical Totem Pocket Constitution but forgot to pack socks, food, "gear" or even adequate clothing. Their soldier costume camo outfits don't even match the terrain they're occupying.

Why am I not surprised at all that he's an energy drink guy.

How awesome would it be if the Feds airdropped a few crates with these supplies, with a handwritten note:

"Hey guys, I saw on Twitter you could use some help. Make sure to share the peanut butter pretzels with the birds though!

Love,
Obama"

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
These guys are not good public speakers and should not be talking to cameras. Worse still their arguments are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jB2ss6skwk

Edit: I'm pretty sure they want the government to hand them a fuckload of land for free.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Torpor posted:

These guys are not good public speakers and should not be talking to cameras. Worse still their arguments are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jB2ss6skwk

Edit: I'm pretty sure they want the government to hand them a fuckload of land for free.

"What is our name? Citizens that care."

Out-Of-State Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 5, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lycus posted:

How are the snacks going to get to them? Is UPS going to deliver to the revolution?

That's their plan, yes. They even provided a helpful postal address.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Splish posted:

As an occasional Federal employee this poo poo really gets under my skin. This site (http://www.hcn.org/issues/46.18/reports-from-the-front-lines) has a pretty cute compilation of some of the yahoos that land management employees have to deal with.

Even though they're total shitheads, I at least understand why people want to drive their ATVs around or whatever. But horse people are total loving nuts.

quote:

In the public-comment process for a BLM plan to round up wild horses in Wyoming, a wild-horse advocate sent a lengthy email to BLM employees, saying: “You sick bastards ought to be killed. ... We are so goddamned sick of your cruelty to our American wildlife. ... gently caress you go to hell where u bastards deserve (to be) terrified tortured and hung upside down (and) may your families be tortured.” —Sept. 17, 2013

Horses aren't even native wildlife...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bubbacub posted:

Even though they're total shitheads, I at least understand why people want to drive their ATVs around or whatever. But horse people are total loving nuts.

Horses aren't even native wildlife...

Not really much different from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

All this time, I thought III% meant only 3% of citizens would join the military. Apparently it just means only 3% of Americans rose against the British? That's weak as gently caress. Thanks to this thread for sorting that out since I don't want to google some of these things.

If I were Obama, I'd first confirm with national agencies whether we not we have anyone undercover in that place. If not, I'd issue the following statement:

"I see no need to send federal authorities there at this time, since we already have a Federal agent among them"

• Locked thread