Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Just what is with Jeremy Corbyn's sinister agenda against birds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Noxville posted:

Eagle, Eagle and Falconer? Just what is with Jeremy Corbyn's sinister agenda against birds?

All birds that likely prey on Pigeons and we know Corbyn has very strong views about Pigeons.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

This has come up on my facebook a couple of times today. At least I know what it's about now, but I don't know how much is accurate and how much is internet outrage machine.

Pretty much my thoughts on the situation as well.

I mean putting aside the patronising and insulting way she's presented her work so far the whole thing comes across as one of the most uninteresting and unambitious art projects ever conceived. "Can a middle class English woman live and work in Glasgow for a whole year with only £15K on top of her work to survive on!?" like she's off to film Gorillas in the mist or something? You'll get a deeper and more in depth analysis of the Glasgow Effect watching a box set of Rab C. Nesbitt than this.

Actually with that amount of brass neck and lack of self awareness she'll be lucky to make it to March.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Noxville posted:

Eagle, Eagle and Falconer? Just what is with Jeremy Corbyn's sinister agenda against birds?

Danzukick loves Tits

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

"Why can't I see the end results of this project before the project has started?"

A mission statement's no hard to write.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fair, just seemed a bit like reaching to include it. I've no argument with the rest.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pretty much my thoughts on the situation as well.

I mean putting aside the patronising and insulting way she's presented her work so far the whole thing comes across as one of the most uninteresting and unambitious art projects ever conceived. "Can a middle class English woman live and work in Glasgow for a whole year with only £15K on top of her work to survive on!?" like she's off to film Gorillas in the mist or something? You'll get a deeper and more in depth analysis of the Glasgow Effect watching a box set of Rab C. Nesbitt than this.

Actually with that amount of brass neck and lack of self awareness she'll be lucky to make it to March.

Ellie Harrison already lives in Glasgow. The funding is for a project about if an Artist can make a living without traveling.

The answer is "Yes, obviously they can. That's a stupid question" and feel free to criticize the waste of money spent on that (Which is what the Facebook post is doing), but it isn't like she's a lost Englander doing some kind of Endurance challenge amongst the fearsome North Tribes. She already lives in the city, she's just found a way to get someone to pay her rent for doing gently caress all.

Fans fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 4, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Noxville posted:

I saw a sparrowhawk tear apart a pigeon on my front lawn earlier, I don't know whether that's a good or a bad omen but it's definitely one or the other.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Best thing about this reshuffle is that the hacks have had liveblogs running for up to 8 hours now with absolutely nothing to talk about and are at this point going a bit mad.

Somehow the Corbyn ship is surprisingly un-leaky today.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Noxville posted:

Somebody should send a warning to John Woodcock :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Fans posted:

Ellie Harrison already lives in Glasgow. The funding is for a project about if an Artist can make a living without traveling.

The answer is "Yes, obviously they can. That's a stupid question" and feel free to criticize the waste of money spent on that, but it isn't like she's a lost Englander doing some kind of Endurance challenge amongst the fearsome North Tribes. She already lives in the city.

I know she already lives here. But that's not the project that's been presented to the public.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

twoot posted:

Best thing about this reshuffle is that the hacks have had liveblogs running for up to 8 hours now with absolutely nothing to talk about and are at this point going a bit mad.

He's doing one on one interviews. If something leaks it's going to be completely obvious who did it.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year all.

Has anyone posted this yet? The Tories have sneaked the abolition of lifetime council tenancies into the Housing & Planning Bill.

I haven't actually made up my mind about whether lifetime council tenancies are good or bad in themselves (I find it odd that the rich still have the right to be housed by the state if they historically lived in a council house), but I'm guessing that any reassessment will be hilariously incompetent and/or unfair so this bill should be opposed in principle.

quote:

One of Labour’s most senior MPs has warned David Cameron is plotting to destroy social housing forever with his cruel attack on council tenants.

Clive Betts , chair of the Commons communities and local government committee, said the PM’s plan to axe lifelong tenancies in council houses will destroy working-class communities and create uncertainty for millions of families.

Mr Betts said: “What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of social housing.”

Labour will on Tuesday make a last ditch bid to block the Tory plan when it is debated in the House of Commons for the first time.

Thousands of Mirror readers have written to the paper over the past three weeks in support of our campaign to save lifetime tenancies, which have been offered to council tenants for decades.

Under Mr Cameron’s proposals, all new council tenants will be reassessed every two to five years and could face eviction if their circumstances have changed.

Mr Betts said: “This is not just an attack on people’s homes. It actually undermines the ideas of neighbourhoods and communities where people put down roots.

“And it upsets family life. If you have to move home, your children have to move school. It is not good for anybody.”
<snip>

As a sidenote, the SNP are abstaining on this one, so it's likely to pass.

Edit: Did anyone else enjoy the extra Christmas present of watching Simon Danczuk slowly crashing and burning?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 4, 2016

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JFairfax posted:

Danzukick loves Tits

Yes but everyone can at least appreciate Great Tits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If I were Corbs right now I'd be so tempted to find some way to clandestinely leak a revenge reshuffle about once a month, then spend an entire day holding one on one meetings with anyone and everyone who would turn up, just to troll the poo poo out of the dumbasses who liveblog non-news.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

twoot posted:

They've been happy to take random speculation from the Labour equivalent of some guy down the pub for the whole run-up to this reshuffle, surely they can find some random backbencher's assistant to give his uninformed guesses on what might happen and publish that as "rumors abound amongst Labour sources we spoke to"

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
BBC news are currently running a story about how there has been no reshuffle and nothing has changed. Exemplary.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Angepain posted:

They've been happy to take random speculation from the Labour equivalent of some guy down the pub for the whole run-up to this reshuffle, surely they can find some random backbencher's assistant to give his uninformed guesses on what might happen and publish that as "rumors abound amongst Labour sources we spoke to"

That's kind of what they're doing, though they're avoiding being definite right now because it's going to be announced tomorrow so it'd be stupid to make actual predictions based off bullshit.

The BBC is going with stuff like this.

quote:

Corbyn wants to act with care to avoid a bloodbath, as he seeks to maintain what has been called his “big tent” approach to politics – which involved appointing only a handful of his own supporters to the shadow cabinet, says the Guardian’s Nick Watt.

The Labour leader’s caution means that he has approached the reshuffle with a range of options on how to achieve greater coherence in the sensitive areas of foreign and defence policy.

His ideal solution would involve moving Benn and Eagle to other senior posts, but he acknowledges that this may not be possible if it would risk a damaging split.

He could then downgrade his ambitions to moving just one of the two or reaching an understanding that they would remain in post in return for acknowledging and respecting the mandate he received in the Labour leadership contest.

Which is really just a whole lot of nothing but speculation. The BBC got so bored of the reshuffle they put Danzuck news on the Live Blog, despite it having gently caress all to do with it.

The Newstatesman on the other hand is far closer to those tears I wanted.

quote:

So, that's it. The end. No new moves, no new appointments, no sackings either. Jeremy Corbyn held long meetings with Maria Eagle and Hilary Benn - but we don't know what the upshot was. Charlie Falconer was tipped for the sack - but we don't know if he's still there. I opened this liveblog at 2:30. It is now close to ten. I'm off to become a homegrown extremist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess driving all the journalists to insanity is one way to smash the press?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Maybe there is a reshuffle only nobody has said anything about it because it was Danczuk leaking everything all along.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Good on Corbyn for turning the collective press's bollocks as blue as a tory tie, it's fun to see them waste all their time trying to drum up excitement about gently caress-all

Last I was in Glasgow I saw this art installation, which was good fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyK0sqKRBVk

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to have a go on it, so I can see why people would think Glasgow artists are self-centered and navel gazing. On the other hand, I drank three free double whiskies and two pints of free beer, so maybe the Glasgow art money is being put to good use!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Has there even been any indication from Corbyn that he was planning a reshuffle in the first place? As far as I can tell, the entire story seems to be made out of whole cloth.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Has there even been any indication from Corbyn that he was planning a reshuffle in the first place? As far as I can tell, the entire story seems to be made out of whole cloth.

No. There really, really hasn't. This has all come from anonymous sources, 'Corbyn allies' and 'notable Labour party members'. Regardless of whether anything's actually happening (about which I'm still not certain), EVERYTHING so far has been essentially made up, for all the actual sources there have been involved and named.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anyway, Did you know we could apply for natural disaster relief for the floods from the EU, but we haven't?

https://www.eureporter.co/frontpage/2015/12/28/eu-wonders-why-britain-hasnt-tapped-fund-for-flood-relief/

quote:

Reuters – European officials are puzzled over why Britain has not applied for cash from the European Union Solidarity Fund to help cope with catastrophic flooding.

Even Germany, the EU’s wealthiest member state, tapped the then newly created fund for tens of millions of euro after it suffered a flooding disaster in 2002, along with several other central European countries.

But so far, Brussels hasn’t received any application from London, where the idea of going cap-in-hand to Europe at a time of tension over Britain’s future in the bloc is bound to make any such request politically sensitive.

Prime Minister David Cameron declared that money would be no object to fighting the floods. His government, under fire from critics for what ministers have acknowledged was a slow initial response, has deployed the armed forces to evacuate residents and shore up river defenses.

Asked whether Britain would ask for EU money, Cameron’s official spokesman told reporters on 23 December that the government was looking at every source of possible funding, playing down the idea that there was anything political behind it.

Under EU rules, a country has 10 weeks from the first damage caused by a natural disaster to request aid.

A person close to Cameron said there were technical grounds to do with spending thresholds that determined when to apply for a grant. Britain had no desire to get into a war of words with Brussels on the matter, he said.

The solidarity fund – which Britain pays into via its contribution to the EU budget — has disbursed €3.5 billion to 23 countries. It has helped fight forest fires in Portugal and Greece as well as the impact of earthquakes and drought.

The leader of the UK Independence Party, which campaigns for Britain to leave the EU, said if money was available from the fund, the government should take it.

“It’s our money anyway,” Nigel Farage told Reuters, noting that Britain was a net contributor to the union’s budget.

“All I have said… is that if an application is to be made, I don’t think it should be made by me,” he joked.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I hope there's no reshuffle at all, it's just Corbyn giving each shadow minister a handshake and telling them they're doing a great job.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Corbyn has invited them in one by one and told them all a slightly different story about his next policy announcement to flush out the rats in the party

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Boing posted:

Maybe there is a reshuffle only nobody has said anything about it because it was Danczuk leaking everything all along.

the actual planned reshuffle was going to be putting Simon Danczuk in every single post in a final admission of defeat to Eternal Blairism but then the Sun had to go and spoil it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Danczuk was on newnight just by the by, from about 2244 onwards. It was an amazing display of disconnection and utter lack of contrition from someone who clearly doesn't actually think he's done anything wrong at all.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Danczuk was on newnight just by the by, from about 2244 onwards. It was an amazing display of disconnection and utter lack of contrition from someone who clearly doesn't actually think he's done anything wrong at all.

Before the police investigation into rape was announced, apparently, so maybe he'll take a slightly different approach now. Or maybe he won't, who knows, this is Danczuk

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Danczuk is one of those people who thinks everything he does must be correct because he did it. It's a marvelous trait for getting ahead, but it does make you incapable of the sort of humility that might earn you forgiveness when it all comes crashing down.

See also Blair, Tony.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"I can't deny the fact that I prefer younger women."

You do have the option of not keeping on talking about it though, but please keep telling us more about who you'd like to shag on national TV, carry on

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
He's said he hasn't ruled out running in 2020, even if Labour kick him out earlier. I personally really want that to happen just to see if someone can get a negative vote share.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Fans posted:

He's said he hasn't ruled out running in 2020, even if Labour kick him out earlier. I personally really want that to happen just to see if someone can get a negative vote share.

A quote from one of his ex's said that he was going to run as an Independent to "ensure that Labour loses the seat he won for them", so looks like he's counting on splitting the vote.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

A quote from one of his ex's said that he was going to run as an Independent to "ensure that Labour loses the seat he won for them", so looks like he's counting on splitting the vote.

Splitting "the vote" singular, as in the vote of the one person who still might be willing to vote for Simon Danczuk, but who still has half a mind to vote for Labour anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Doesn't everyone in rochdale hate him?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I'd honestly like to see him try. He's so unpopular that he had to rig the Labour nomination to run in the first place, and UKIP's hysteria machine will destroy a sex offender who goes on TV and tells the nation he has a taste for young girls.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't everyone in rochdale hate him?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Danczuk wins the support of the people that matter a bunch of pissed up Nazis:

Not... everyone...

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Prince John posted:

Unfortunately Labour will run on a platform of "Simon Danczuk is a dick and voting for us will infuriate him"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Art is cool and good and needs funding. This person, however, is a Bad Artist and is snarky about poor people. I wouldn't care about her getting funding though if you saw similar investment happening in other areas. A pal of mine is trying to get funding for a musical theatre production about the Northeast and can't poo poo for gently caress. Performance venues are closing down, bands from outside the central belt can't afford to tour in the rest of Scotland properly, recording anything costs an arm and a leg unless you're happy with college kids practicing their Pro Tools on your stuff... I don't know a single musician that can't live off their music, and most of them have substance abuse problems of one kind or another to keep up with working in bars and gigging and being awake till 6am every night.

How about throwing some money our way, huh? gently caress sakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I was skint in glesga before it was hip and arty.

• Locked thread