Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Demiurge4 posted:

Anakins drunk dad selling him to the Jedi for booze money and continuing to abuse his mother, causing him to return and murder the gently caress out of his dad when she dies, would be a legit cool way to fall to the dark side.

theory: anakin's dad is a sand person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, that sounds terrible and going dark for darker's sake - and we already have his mom implied to be raped by sandpeople. If you're going to go darker, just make slave life on Tattooine not seem really chill.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, that sounds terrible and going dark for darker's sake - and we already have his mom implied to be raped by sandpeople. If you're going to go darker, just make slave life on Tattooine not seem really chill.
I actually think that this is clever in a backhanded way, because a lot of people viewing it make the same arguments the Republic might: "Well it's not THAT bad. Look, they get rest periods, he even lets them have private quarters!" Never mind that the talented child sees no reward from his incredibly dangerous risk-taking, because he is chattel property.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

It's most evident by the fact that when they clash and get really close up the light makes purple. Because Blue and Red make purple.

TFA's DP Dan Mindel posted this photo on Instagram, which appears to show the lightsaber props actually glowing, which, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they have in any previous movies? I thought before they were just colored sticks and the 'glow' of the lightsaber was a post-effect, but here they actually give off light which led to the purple that we saw when they came in contact being captured by the camera. Overall I thought it looked great, and I'm probably gonna miss that aspect when rewatching the older movies.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's super cool. I love it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Mr Jaunts posted:

TFA's DP Dan Mindel posted this photo on Instagram, which appears to show the lightsaber props actually glowing, which, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think they have in any previous movies? I thought before they were just colored sticks and the 'glow' of the lightsaber was a post-effect, but here they actually give off light which led to the purple that we saw when they came in contact being captured by the camera. Overall I thought it looked great, and I'm probably gonna miss that aspect when rewatching the older movies.

yeah for force awakens they basically used their own customized versions of those expensive fx lightsabers you can buy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Didn't someone post an article that said the actors used modified ForceFX sabers during the scenes, so an actual glow was given off?

^^^e: f,b

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mr Jaunts posted:

kiimo posted:

That's super cool. I love it.

Supposedly they used tubes not unlike the ones they use to make these:

http://www.ultrasabers.com/

They're full impact and can actually flash with light when they strike. It was done specifically because of the low-lighting conditions of the duel and to get really realistic looking face shadows for a lot less money than painstakingly rendering them on everything and having it look like poo poo.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

This link is fantastic. Although I think they have completely failed to consider the possibility of a "Smaller Han" instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've said it before and say it again they should have made Ben Kenobi Anakin's dad. That virgin birth poo poo was awful.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Did the EU ever expand on the virgin birth at all? Like, did Sheev/Plagueis actually create Anakin as RotS alluded to?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Jaunts posted:

Did the EU ever expand on the virgin birth at all?
It's one of the Mysteries of the Force.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Jaunts posted:

Did the EU ever expand on the virgin birth at all? Like, did Sheev/Plagueis actually create Anakin as RotS alluded to?

In the Plagueis book Plagueis seems to think so.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mr Jaunts posted:

I loved TFA a lot so take this for what it's worth but this photo is hilarious to me because not dissimilar ones from the prequels are met with incredible disdain

"why didn't they use actual locations?!?!?/"

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

I see your point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For what it's worth those are some impressive fake trees in that TFA picture. It didn't even occur to me that it's probably not practical to film in an actual snowy forest.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 5, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You take on a new name when elected Monarch of Naboo. Her original name isn't a secret, it's just less common. It's more like the pope than Madonna.
But here's the thing: Padme's predecessors didn't do this. King Veruna used his own family name, and so did King Tapalo who preceded him. Both of them, in fact, came from "legitimately" royal households of Naboo, unlike Padme, and so clearly didn't feel the need to come up with any new impressive identities. We don't know if Padme's successors used new names instead of their birth names, but if they did, it would be them following a standard that Padme set.

"Amidala" is not a real person. Padme created her, and Padme is a woman of false identities, of lies, deceptions. Her whole "Living a lie would destroy us!" plea to Anakin was itself a lie. The name and face she puts on are masks she uses to her own social and political security; Naberrie is a commoner's name, while Amidala gives the impression she wants. I'd call her Batman, but there's actually a better comparison within the mythos itself. After all, who are the only other characters in the Star Wars mythos who use invented names? Who are the ones that create a different, falser name than the humble names they were born with, who call themselves by impressive "royal" titles to take on impressive royal roles? Who use decoys and lures and feints to protect themselves?

The Sith. The dark side. To lie, to deceive, to fixate on personal identity to the point of creating new ones, are all anathematic to Jedi principles of truth and openness and detachment from personal identity. And who's the Sith that's been supporting and mentoring Padme all this time, that came from the same exact political and cultural origins she did, that also took on different identities for different purposes and relied on decoys and lures and feints to protect himself? Palpatine.

On paper, based purely on her concept and story, if we disregard execution entirely, I legitimately feel that Padme is the most interesting character in all of Star Wars. I mean, poo poo y'all, take a peek at the concept art for her -- these impressions, these designs, these expressions they envisioned for her -- and imagine what kind of character she was supposed to be.

Apropos of nothing...whatever I may ever have to say about the execution and production of the prequels' visuals, you'll never hear a bad word from me about the art design itself. They got the very best in the business making some of the most expressive concepts you'd ever seen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

For what it's worth those are some impressive fake trees in that TFA picture. It didn't even occur to me that it's probably not practical to film in an actual snowy forest.

Snow doesn't look like snow on film. Ya gotta cover a whole forest in salt. It's a big to-do, easier to get it in post.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Padme being a Sith Lord would have owned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always been confused by people who make fun of Amidala's outfits. I thought they were beautiful and some of the only good designs in the whole PT.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

I loved TFA a lot so take this for what it's worth but this photo is hilarious to me because not dissimilar ones from the prequels are met with incredible disdain

"why didn't they use actual locations?!?!?/"

I don't expect films to use actual locations in all cases, but I usually do expect them to build sets that look like the places where the characters are.

Like, if you thought people were simply mad that the prequels were shot on sets, I think you may have misunderstood the criticism.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 5, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Did I blink and miss it, or did this one not have the iconic "In a galaxy far, far away..." line before the music started?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vengarr posted:

Did I blink and miss it, or did this one not have the iconic "In a galaxy far, far away..." line before the music started?

You blinked.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Snow doesn't look like snow on film. Ya gotta cover a whole forest in salt. It's a big to-do, easier to get it in post.

Tell that to The Revenant.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are the "Sand People" humans, or what?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

GORDON posted:

Are the "Sand People" humans, or what?

According to the old canon, yeah. (One of them who became a Jedi eventually went full galaxy conquering Sith in the comics. That's the EU for ya)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

According to the old canon, yeah. (One of them who became a Jedi eventually went full galaxy conquering Sith in the comics. That's the EU for ya)

She was adopted. The Tusken Raiders were aliens.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It was a he, and he was Tusken on his mother's side.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Is it horrible that I know that you guys are just having a simple miscommunication that's causing a confusion between Tahiri Veila and A'sharad Hett?
I need help.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DARPA posted:

I see your point.

So what's your professional opinion on how this particular scene should have been achieved instead?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cnut the Great posted:

So what's your professional opinion on how this particular scene should have been achieved instead?

"Replaced with a heartfelt apology by George Lucas, followed by a crowdsourced "real" Prequel Trilogy in which Anakin is Kimball Kinnison but With a Lightsaber"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm starting to see the value of making a Gungan Ghetto Thread, because it's taking all of my self-control to not say how disappointing that scene was. Why in the world would you make a lightsaber death cyborg, and then immediately cut off his arms and drop the lightsabers?

Can I say how it never occurred to me while watching that Snoke would be any size other than his hologram? It's a big galaxy, there can be a species that's just huge.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 5, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Because how could Obiwan convincingly fight the computer monster?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cnut the Great posted:

Not make it look like a bad 90s FMV video game? Just an idea bro.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I could definitely go for a Guillermo del Toro-esque puppet Grievous, yes.

I still think my favorite practical effect is Doc Ock's arms in Spider-man 2. Those things looked wicked.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 5, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cnut the Great posted:

The funniest thing is how Grevious is supposed to be this super deadly jedi killer (that's why he has so many lightsabers, he collects them as trophies) but apparently his main form of attack is spinning two of his arms as he slowly walks towards you.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Puppet or swirling death machine?

Which would you have preferred?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Not make it look like a bad 90s FMV video game? Just an idea bro.

Please post a screencap from a bad 90s FMV video game that you think is comparable to this state-of-the-art CGI created for a $100 million feature film by industry effects leader Industrial Light & Magic. This "90s FMV video game" line is a pretty popular meme, but no one ever seems to back it up with comparisons. Those must be some pretty impressive video game graphics. Especially since they sometimes even get compared to scenes in the prequels that feature practical sets.

Away all Goats posted:

The funniest thing is how Grevious is supposed to be this super deadly jedi killer (that's why he has so many lightsabers, he collects them as trophies) but apparently his main form of attack is spinning two of his arms as he slowly walks towards you.

Yes, it is pretty funny. That's why Palpatine decides not to give Darth Vader a bunch of silly robotic gimmicks like arms that split apart and spin.

If you watch the fight, you can see that Grievous defaults to attacking with only two arms at a time. Whenever he tries to use all four arms at once, he loses the ability to keep track of them all, and it's these openings that Obi-Wan takes advantage of to disarm him. Grievous's brain clearly isn't equipped to handle four arms at once. He looks scary, but he's a paper tiger. He's a poor man's Darth Vader. Obi-Wan outmaneuvers Grievous by keeping calm, analyzing his attack patterns, and devising a simple yet elegant strategy to defeat him. It's the same thing he does later with Anakin.

And yet, for some reason, people still complain about Grievous coming across as "too advanced" compared to Darth Vader. The dude's a dud. His iron lung doesn't even work correctly. As The Clone Wars shows, Grievous gets all his lightsabers by ganging up on inexperienced young Jedi with his MagnaGuards, or else just by cheating. It's his complete lack of humanity that makes him dangerous, not his flashy cyborg attachments.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 5, 2016

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Ignoring how they literally make Star Wars video games, I still don't see why you're arguing how good it looks when what everyone is saying is how bad the actual fight was. That gif lasts for half a minute and then the rest of the scene is unicycle racing.

vvv
I didn't comment simply because I didn't know what to add.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, can we go back to this? Because this is Time Cube-level batshittery.

• Locked thread