Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The best way for law enforcement to resolve this is to just wait a couple days until their supply of jerky and doritos runs out and they have to come out and admit they're idiots who are going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Just start charging the occupiers rent

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you get Alex Jones to admit that he himself is a false flag, does he collapse in on himself like a dying star?

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22alex+jones+is+cia%22&oq=%22alex+jones+is+cia%22

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Torpor posted:

Edit: I'm pretty sure they want the government to hand them a fuckload of land for free.

I'll have to take your word for it, I couldn't make it past two minutes even though I desperately wish to be amused by these nutjobs. Is that Captain Moron(i) I see over Ammon's right shoulder?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bubbacub posted:

Even though they're total shitheads, I at least understand why people want to drive their ATVs around or whatever. But horse people are total loving nuts.

Horses aren't even native wildlife...

:stare:

Goddamn, did the BLM rape his mother or something? How the hell do people get so pissed off at such a relatively benign organization?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Thump! posted:

:stare:

Goddamn, did the BLM rape his mother or something? How the hell do people get so pissed off at such a relatively benign organization?

Yeah there's a weird trend that causes them to flip out about obscure organizations. I was just on some militia site yesterday raging against the US Forest Service. Like, what?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

per Kelly House, from the Oregonian, it appears that the FBI and local law enforcement are using the local high school (the same place that supertiny presser was just held) as their base of operations.

Alright, this is looking more like a strategy I can get behind. I'm not opposed to being cautious, but you have to at least get an actual presence there and get some control of the situation instead of pretending it's not happening.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

Yeah there's a weird trend that causes them to flip out about obscure organizations. I was just on some militia site yesterday raging against the US Forest Service. Like, what?

Clearly that obscurity is a cover for something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine it's because the Forest Service or BLM are seen as the tentacles of Big Government that actually affect them by not letting them burn their land down and sell it for the oil rights (or whatever).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Volkerball posted:

Alright, this is looking more like a strategy I can get behind. I'm not opposed to being cautious, but you have to at least get an actual presence there and get some control of the situation instead of pretending it's not happening.

The press is largely cooperating with the feds in not discussing what they're actually doing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

That's their plan, yes. They even provided a helpful postal address.

Wait how would this even work? Do they plan on making regular runs to the post office to pick up their free goodies? Do they not realize that if they actually get the response they're asking for they can't leave the compound?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Haven't read the whole thread, but I found http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-03/oregon-standoff-terrible-plan-we-might-be-stuck and wanted to post it.

quote:

As a student of asymmetrics, I understand that choosing the time, place and circumstances is 95% of the battle ahead against an advanced opponent. More organization is needed. More preparedness. More training. More public awareness. The Oregon standoff could steal away what little time we had left.

The Oregon standoff potentially forces the hand of the Liberty Movement, not the hand of corrupt government - the exact reverse of what should be happening.

quote:

Ammon Bundy and companions are not the tip of the spear. Not even close. What I do fear is that they are cannon fodder beckoning a nationwide government crackdown to which I and others will then be forced to personally respond to with equal f*cking measure. And all of this on the worst possible terms and at a very inconvenient time (executive actions on gun control mere weeks from now).

And here's the best part; those of us who remain critical of the clinically retarded maneuver being executed here are going to be called cowards and "keyboard warriors"; it's a given.

It's kind of amazing. I love it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Someone put a warning in the title to put on rubber boots before entering this thread.

Is there a just the facts, ma'am timeline of events somewhere?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wait how would this even work? Do they plan on making regular runs to the post office to pick up their free goodies? Do they not realize that if they actually get the response they're asking for they can't leave the compound?

It's not like there's any law enforcement there to stop someone from driving from Burns to give them a case of beef jerky. There's no blockade.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

The press is largely cooperating with the feds in not discussing what they're actually doing.

Yeah, clearly. It honestly looked like they were gonna go with the "meh, boys will be boys, just let them wear themselves out strategy" before. I'm happy to see that's not the case. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Anyone who successfully gets a 5 lb bag of sugar-free gummy bears to them wins the Order of Lenin.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xandu posted:

Rural folks really, really hate agencies that make decisions on land use. They hate bag limits for hunting and trapping, they hate hunting seasons, they hate agencies that won't let them clear cut whatever they want...it's just nonstop "you're not the boss of me!" childishness mixed with an adamant refusal to admit that maybe environmental regulations aren't all bad.

These are people that want to graze their cattle on any land they want no matter who owns it while hunting everything bigger than a chipmunk into a extinction for fun and profit. The view is that because the government is preventing them from burning down the forests and grazing the land into a barren hellscape that it's awful, disgusting tyranny controlling the little guy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PleasingFungus posted:

Haven't read the whole thread, but I found http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-01-03/oregon-standoff-terrible-plan-we-might-be-stuck and wanted to post it.

lol an inconvenient time because of gun control? you lunatics have spent 6 years setting records for gun sales, i think you'll be ok.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
The post I linked also suggests that some of the people involved in the standoff may have been dragged into it without realizing that without realizing that the leaders were planning a full-on standoff with the federal authorities, and while it's not even a remotely credible source, it's still a plausible/funny/useful possibility.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Volkerball posted:

lol an inconvenient time because of gun control? you lunatics have spent 6 years setting records for gun sales, i think you'll be ok.

look out, man! if the feds use force here, the second american civil war starts NOW - ready or not!!!

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I wonder if they're even downplaying the law enforcement response to see who/what crawls out of the woodwork when it looks like this might be going somewhere.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They dried their powder too soon!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Volkerball posted:

I would bet the venn diagram of people who bought into the monthly cries of "THE WORLD WILL END IN X WEEKS" and the people who scream "OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE OUR GUN IN X DAYS" every other week is just one solid circle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Early deets on the Obama gun control policies. Very promising stuff- a lot of carefully triangulated provisions that have broad public support when individually identified in surveys, all resistant to most ways they can be legally challenged. I see a couple rhetorical weak spots, but this looks like a good move- and well-timed, of course.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Onions got us covered with all the need to know deets.

quote:

Are the protesters violent?

They have vowed to only seek a peaceful overthrow of the entire U.S. federal government.

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/wha...eview:1:Default

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So wait I am confused. Are they holding hostages right now?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Knifegrab posted:

Their only hostage at present is the wildlife preserve and federal buildings they're occupying. ANd themselves, maybe.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nessus posted:

Their only hostage at present is the wildlife preserve and federal buildings they're occupying. ANd themselves, maybe.

So they are just like performing an armed sit-in?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

When you hear them talk you'll wake up and realize that we're all the hostages and they are the ones that are free.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I take it if we all wait long enough they'll be sad and hungry right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PleasingFungus posted:

it is. The militia poo poo for the most part is basically politicized military LARPing. its for bored right leaning rural/townie whites to have their little hero fantasy. Most of them are big talk and alot of them do probaly believe half the poo poo they say, BUT they no they will never win or ever get motivated to try. Sure some talk about marching into a town and shooting all the uppity darkies, but they know the police/swat will come and then they are hosed. Now Bundy is breaking the gently caress out of that unwritten rule and takes a Federal building and tells the feds to gently caress off. Sure bundy sr was "supportable" because he was on his own land. but now they have taken a aggressive stance. its why alex jones, ted cruz, the oathkeepers are all telling them to gently caress off in their own way. they are spoiling the fun and now if it turns ugly the goverment will be within its rights to crackdown on all the shitheads, real or LARPing.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

it's time to pack it in when even Zerohedge thinks your anti-USgov movement is stupid

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
So yeah, I don't care what all of the buzzkills in this thread advocating minimum use of force say. I will be seriously disappointed if this ends without any shots being fired, because if these terrorists are allowed to end this standoff on their own terms after having declared an armed occupation of a federal building (regardless of whether said building contained any employees at the time it was occupied), then the militia movement will be able to declare victory, just like they did after the first Bundy standoff.

I don't necessarily hope these people or any LEOs actually get shot, but I do sincerely think an exchange of gunfire would be a good thing at this point. A demoralizing surrender at gunpoint after shots are fired would A) ensure that these "3%" terrorists don't get off with a slap on the wrist from some rural shitbag judge who sympathizes with their grotesque cause, and B) the G.O.P. (for whose interests these terrorists are acting as a proxy) would be forced to actually confront this incident in the press and get all their statements about how the #BLM protesters should've been mowed down where they stood thrown back in their face.

Speaking to the "tacticlol" particulars of the situation, since there are no hostages or bystanders I don't see why the feds would need to attempt a forced entry if and when the decision is made that the terrorists need to be forcibly dealt with. If any #YokelHaram takes aim at a federal agent with a rifle, then the feds ought to just hose the place down with automatic rifle fire from extreme range until the terrorists agree to come out with their hands on their heads.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

On the January 4 edition of Fox News' Happening Now, reporter Dan Springer discussed the occupation with Pete Santilli, introducing him as a supporter of the militia and an Internet talk show host. During the interview in which Santilli supported the takeover, an on-screen graphic identified him as a "movement spokesman"

During a May 17, 2013 rant about Hillary Clinton, Santilli said that he "would volunteer to shoot her right in the vajayjay,"adding, "I want her to suffer painfully" for the way she allegedly handled the September 2012 Benghazi attacks.

:allears:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2016/01/04/fox-promotes-conspiracy-theorist-who-threatened/207723

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
but liberal leet, these guys shot rocket launchers at qurans. they are your extremist allies.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Liberal_L33t posted:

So yeah, I don't care what all of the buzzkills in this thread advocating minimum use of force say. I will be seriously disappointed if this ends without any shots being fired, because if these terrorists are allowed to end this standoff on their own terms after having declared an armed occupation of a federal building (regardless of whether said building contained any employees at the time it was occupied), then the militia movement will be able to declare victory, just like they did after the first Bundy standoff.

I don't necessarily hope these people or any LEOs actually get shot, but I do sincerely think an exchange of gunfire would be a good thing at this point. A demoralizing surrender at gunpoint after shots are fired would A) ensure that these "3%" terrorists don't get off with a slap on the wrist from some rural shitbag judge who sympathizes with their grotesque cause, and B) the G.O.P. (for whose interests these terrorists are acting as a proxy) would be forced to actually confront this incident in the press and get all their statements about how the #BLM protesters should've been mowed down where they stood thrown back in their face.

Speaking to the "tacticlol" particulars of the situation, since there are no hostages or bystanders I don't see why the feds would need to attempt a forced entry if and when the decision is made that the terrorists need to be forcibly dealt with. If any #YokelHaram takes aim at a federal agent with a rifle, then the feds ought to just hose the place down with automatic rifle fire from extreme range until the terrorists agree to come out with their hands on their heads.

I'm very happy you don't make any decisions that matter. Please let the adults manage these situations. Killing people, even if they are idiots, is bad. Remember that these people WANT the feds to come in shooting. If they had done this to a city council, or legislative building, a response would be necessary, but they are literally sleeping in a gift shop.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

(source)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I hope nobody sends them foil-lined juice boxes :ohdear:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Joementum posted:

I hope nobody sends them foil-lined juice boxes :ohdear:

They can't be trusted to handle those sharp straws by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Venom Snake posted:

How is it goons fault people post stupid poo poo on their public facebook page.

There's one guy commenting on a page amongst a lot more people and then there's another guy singling him out and encouraging raiding of his profile.

its 1 step away from tumblr level doxxing bullshit. You dudes wonder why dnd is the worst forum, it's because your heads are so far up your arses you can't actually see you are exactly the same types of people as the ones you poo poo on, except for your political alignment.

E: But then again, this is the same forum who thinks what these guys are doing is worse than rioting and burning peoples cars and businesses.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 5, 2016

• Locked thread