Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

To whoever posited that SQ42 is running off an old, pre-2.0 branch that is easier to work with/further along, I would say that's unlikely given Crobberts himself said the game has now turned into an open-world sandbox type game. What's more likely is because of this, all the assets like Shubin and whatnot need to be re-engineered to fit into this open world universe instead of being "levels" of their own. That's why whenever PC Gamer visits F42 there is nothing playable, because they have to remake the game in the new large-world engine branch essentially. So now, instead of Shubin being a map that you load into whenever the story progresses that far, it's an area in a wider world you can travel to after getting a mission in a whole other system. It's being Duke Nukem Forever'd.

Since they got procedural planets now, they have to make every planetside escapade be an actual location on a sphere in game space instead of a map you spawn into with a landed_ship.obj behind you. :v: This would all be really neat if it was 3 years ago.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Toops posted:

Nah I spread it around pretty fair. This gif I made invalidates any/all charges your honor.

But still I'd rather be happy
Than right, yes
Or skinny
Any day, any day, any daytwo weeks

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Incombibulator posted:

If you ever want to put a face to the name of the person who repeatedly denies your refund requests... this is it:

sauce

The O in Foundry looks like :goatsecx:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hey, it's time for the weekly check in on the Star Citizen ship scam Kickstarter, I bet they're rolling in pledges by now...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/774515878/star-citizen-ship-share-for-co-op-and-future-clan

ohhhh....

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Is it wrong to want to play on your own? No it's not wrong but I must know, how can someone so dumb, write, scripts so bad?
Crobert take my money, take it now, boot the grime of this verse in the crotch dear....

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Clearly states the estimated 2014 delivery date is for Anywhere.

Our records show you don't live in Anywhere, therefore the stated date doesn't apply to you. Check and mate citizen, refund denied. :smug:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Is it wrong to want to play on your own? No it's not wrong but I must know, how can someone so dumb, write, scripts so bad?
Crobert take my money, take it now, boot the grime of this verse in the crotch dear....

No PvP tonight
This 'verse was made for only one man
And it's just you-ooh-oh-o-oh-oohhh

:hfive:

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 5, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcN6UkKfog

the first 10 for the chairman of 2016! :toot:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

Does anyone have access to PACER? As I came across this from 2007

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/cacdce/2:2007cv03374/389251

I do. But that doesn't look like it's related to croberts

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

IrvingWashington posted:

No PvP tonight
This 'verse was made for only one man
And it's just you-ooh-oh-o-oh-oohhh

:hfive:

Take my hand and off we fly, ohh la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la you're a turd and i'm a whale la-la-la-la-la-la....

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So apparently this week's 104TC actually contained information. Like, usable poo poo.

- Capital ships will have "safe zones" in orbit where you can park them and nobody will be able to gently caress with them (MY IMMERSION). Outside those safe zones then maybe, potentially, depending on how they do it, those ships might be safe.

- LOL you won't be able to buy used ships. You can only buy new ones and sell your used ones to the dealer at a discount. Well maybe, longer term, you'll be able to do it. You will "definitely" be able to transfer ships between players though, within the rules, with poo poo likes taxes. No mention of when that would happen though.

- Autopilot is gone. Now the plan for landing is for there to be landing "tunnels" that you'll fly through. Go outside the bounds and your ship will go on auto-pilot to avoid Space 9/11. Also procedural stuff will now included Crysis level detail on animals and vegetation so you can be a space hunter and skin your prey.

I guess when you have no schedule you can leapfrog Elite and No Man's Sky in a single sentence.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::
http://youtu.be/qqcN6UkKfog?t=11m39s
Chris Roberts says they're working on procedural planets with Crysis level fidelity where you can hunt alien animals now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

redwalrus posted:

Chris Roberts says they're working on procedural planets with Crysis level fidelity where you can hunt alien animals now

Lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
oooh stealth FPS gameplay with stealth gadgets :ninja:

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I think with that news I'm going to call it now that SQ42 will be an inferior Farcry/Crysis maybe using the exact same everything plus whatever assets they have already built. When you go 'into space' for mission it just loads whatever arena commander/2.0 is, after some shoddy space combat you watch a cutscene and come back to Farcry mode to walk around some more.

That would be their plan, but none of that will be made. They'll build enough for more ads and trailers and drag SQ42 on for as long as possible just like the PU.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Stealth gameplay because you have to look really hard to find any?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

redwalrus posted:

That Chris Roberts is a real Feature Creep.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

For fun just click a random point in the timeline and see if he is making some poo poo up with waving his hands around
100% for me

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Please forgive me a bit of a rambling effort post, folks. I'm going to belabor the obvious, for the sake of CIG people or Redditors who visit here.

2016 - THE SPACE GAME RACE IS HERE

2016 is likely to be the biggest year in Space Games in decades. The triumphant return of Star Wars to cultural dominance couldn't be better timed-- because so many exciting Space Games/Sims are on right on the verge of release, and many of them have been built to support the also-arriving-this-year first generation of consumer Virtual Reality headsets.

Yet ironically, the space game everyone has heard the most about -- the "immersive", "high fidelity" Star Citizen -- is unlikely to see release in 2016 (with the possible exception of Squadron 42: Part 1). It seems even less likely that the game will support VR whenever it does launch- despite having promised it- due to VR-unfriendly design decisions and incredibly slow frame rates (even on exceptionally powerful PC builds). Any GameDev who plans to add "VR Support" as an afterthought is fooling themselves-- and none more than Chris Roberts, whose very fingerprints are all over so many of the idiotic, un-VR friendly design decisions of the game.

Consider what titles are right around the corner now, and how each threatens to steal some of Star Citizen's thunder.

---

Eve: Valkyrie is going to be a superior Arcade-Style cockpit combat game-- built for VR-- and it's free with every Oculus Rift soon to be sold. The menu systems, interfaces, head-control-- all of it has been tested and fine tuned so that you can slip on your headset and play for hours without having to pull it off to touch your keyboard or mouse. Listen to this recent review and picture Chris Roberts' mortal terror as he screams at his dev team, "STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING! WE'RE FAST TRACKING VR NOW!"

For owners of Oculus Rifts-- Eve:Valkyrie will be their go-to "YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT!" title to evangelize VR and space pew-pew to friends. (Arena Commander is going to suffer by comparison- if anyone bothers to play it anymore.)

BY THE WAY: Oculus Rift Pre-Order Countdown Timer. Less than 2 days!

---

No Man's Sky is going to be a Arcade-Style procedurally generated first person galaxy exploration game -- built for VR -- and it's rumored that it will be bundled with Sony's VR headset. It's likely to be shallow and vast, like a simplified, day-glow version of Elite with FPS / crafting aspects / exploration / space pew pew. It's probably skewed towards younger gamers - but who cares? It's probably going to move a crap ton of units, being bundled with Sony's HMD... It, too, is likely to be a "YOU'VE GOT TO CHECK THIS OUT!" game-- and for younger players, it's going to create a gaming memory that will last a lifetime- like Wing Commander did decades ago. (Sorry Chris).

---

Elite is adding the multi-crew experience in the upcoming months-- and it will at least offer more for co-pilots to do than Star Citizen has managed-- built for VR. If Frontier actually gives gunners / co-pilots / whoever actually interesting or vital things to do-- things that could advantage a multi-crew ship in combat, exploration, etc., then this cut might actually be prove a deep one. Elegant VR integration within the menu system is a given here, too.

Elite remains a game that is far easier to respect than truly love- but the grand potential is so obvious, and they have a far easier development path to creating the BDSSE than Star Citizen does. (Sorry, spergs, but it's true.) Elite in VR is, by all accounts, profoundly more immersive-- so much so that most players consider it an entirely different gameplay experience. And Elite is going to have this distinct advantage over Star Citizen for all of 2016 and possibly forever-- as CIG's Road to VR looks about as easy as a walk up Mount Thor.

---

Mass Effect: Andromeda will surely be a better-written, multithreaded single-player Sci-Fi shooter campaign than Squadron 42. No, it's not likely to have cockpit combat-- but what it will have will be a solid FPS that accommodates a variety of playing styles, potentially a return of weapon-modding / crafting elements from ME:1, beautifully designed cities/planets/spaceships/aliens, LOTs of player agency, planetary exploration with an improved Mako, enormous scale, lots of laughs, drama, rich companion characters, great voice work, etc. etc. etc...) Bioware is trying to redeem and reboot the franchise here-- and if Dragon Age: Inquisition is any indication, they will cram a TON of content into the first game. As someone who loved the Mako/planetary exploration in game 1, the prospects of an improved version in MA:E has me incredibly excited.

I expect the casual gamer will at least get a 30 hour campaign here-- and for completionists like me, I'd not be surprised to see 60-80. Will Squadron 42, Part 1, offer similar bang-for-buck? I highly doubt it. Even if we are forced to watch 3 hours of cutscenes per game, I'm personally expecting a 15 game with not a lot of replay potential... So, here too, I believe ME:A will deliver more value, and richer gameplay, than SQ:42.

---

I could go on and on-- in fact originally I had Infinity Battlescape and Angels Fall First and even Xcom 2 stuff in here too (but too many animated gifs!), but I guess my main point is that Star Citizen has promised to be all-things-to-all-space-gamers for several years, and has made a fortune selling the dream that the Explorer's experience in Star Citizen will be every bit as rich, unique and exciting as the Smuggler's, the Pirate's, the Space Botantist's, or the Stewardess... Yet it's going to get harder to sell the dream as more and more parties start delivering them.

Things have been pretty easy so far for CIG with Elite as their only competition. They create gameplay videos for upcoming features that either Elite doesn't have-- or Elite can't do as beautifully in game-- and convince the fanbase (and the gaming press) that "Star Citizen is the best space game ever!" Despite the fact that Elite is PLAYABLE NOW-- with 10x as many features-- and for $60. Despite the fact that Star Citizen in its current state is delivering moments like this:

TL:DR
The marketplace that barely existed when Star Citizen kicked off their crowdfunding campaign is about to crowded with great IP, much of it VR friendly and truly IMMERSIVE-- while Star Citizen keeps promising the world Soon™ and spergs keep throwing this thing out as an excuse. These new space games are likely to deliver superior gameplay experiences in their respective niches. Unlike Star Citizen, many of them are VR-Native and thus delivering a kind of visceral experiential thrill that simply CAN NOT BE REPLICATED ON A FLAT SCREEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH FIDELITY YOU THROW AT IT. A lot of ink will be spilled about these titles-- and "immersive" is going to be stolen back from Chris Roberts and conferred upon titles that actually deliver upon that promise.

Where will Star Citizen be when the Space Game Race truly begins? If past is prologue, they'll be missing more deadlines, releasing buggy updates, pumping out more crappy marketing videos, and sitting out the very race they were favored by all to win.

(Sorry to ramble and sorrier still if the post bored anyone.)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the starfarer will be hangar ready sometime this month....since it's such a big ship it will take a little longer to be playable though!

I'm the detachable fuel tanks

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. It was revealed at CitizenCon 2015 and was also mentioned in the PC Gamer article.

Yet SC doesn't have scope creep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ePYE2hd3I
Jump to 1:26:15

I am Christ Roberts throwing the script on the ground and making someone else pick it up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

Please forgive me a bit of a rambling effort post...

Excellent post, however this is not helping me get excited for Star Citizen at all!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Excellent post, however this is not helping me get excited for Star Citizen at all!
You, Peter, are helping ME get excited about Star Citizen with videos like this.

Star Citizen is a giant messy pile of sheeeyit, but if you can keep using it to make videos like that, I will consider it a success.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

Where will Star Citizen be when the Space Game Race truly begins? If past is prologue, they'll be missing more deadlines, releasing buggy updates, pumping out more crappy marketing videos, and sitting out the very race they were favored by all to win. [/b]

(Sorry to ramble and sorrier still if the post bored anyone.)

Yes but Star Citizen is pushing boundaries nobody else has. Chris said it.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

My co-worker's reaction to Star Citizen.

"What the gently caress!"

"It doesn't loving work"

"Totally wasted 20 bucks"

"Turned everything down all the way the stupid thing still wouldn't play"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
It seems you are mistaking a feature for a problem. Sorry. Functioning as intended.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Yes but Star Citizen is pushing boundaries nobody else has. Chris said it.
Checkmate. Chris wins.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I wonder how long this will last before it is downvoted to hell?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3zhll6/wow_check_out_this_leaked_gif_of_the_updated/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

peter gabriel posted:

That is making me too excited about eve valkyrie holy gently caress when do I get an oculus rift.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

You, Peter, are helping ME get excited about Star Citizen with videos like this.

Star Citizen is a giant messy pile of sheeeyit, but if you can keep using it to make videos like that, I will consider it a success.

Holy gently caress, why does it take five years to land?!

Crtl-F??

Oh my god why is the pilot UI so cluttered with poo poo, what is this?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 5, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Expect a "nice try troll/goon" reply any second. Downvoting to oblivion in minutes after.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an autist
Your mushmouth makes me cry

You phase through a bulkhead
In a beautiful world
And I wish I was a whale
You're such a fuckin' whale

But it's feature creep, I'm a sperg
What the hell another crash?
No one belongs here

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

To whoever posited that SQ42 is running off an old, pre-2.0 branch that is easier to work with/further along, I would say that's unlikely given Crobberts himself said the game has now turned into an open-world sandbox type game. What's more likely is because of this, all the assets like Shubin and whatnot need to be re-engineered to fit into this open world universe instead of being "levels" of their own. That's why whenever PC Gamer visits F42 there is nothing playable, because they have to remake the game in the new large-world engine branch essentially. So now, instead of Shubin being a map that you load into whenever the story progresses that far, it's an area in a wider world you can travel to after getting a mission in a whole other system. It's being Duke Nukem Forever'd.

Since they got procedural planets now, they have to make every planetside escapade be an actual location on a sphere in game space instead of a map you spawn into with a landed_ship.obj behind you. :v: This would all be really neat if it was 3 years ago.

I would counter that you can't trust anything Chris says, not necessarily because he is lying, per se, but because he's a loving moron with no concept of hitting development milestones. Considering the SQ42 team has been instructed to get that game out this year at any cost, at some point they're going to have to bite the bullet and use whichever version of the engine is closer to a working state, regardless of what Chris has promised. That might be 2.0, yes, but it's unlikely there will be any sandbox elements. Unless he tosses in 3 or 4 empty space stations with a button inside that you can "explore" - he'll say that's the "sandbox" and call it a day.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

Interesting story...

I backed the game early in the kickstarter and got a refund about three weeks before they started denying refunds. I logged into 'my rsi' today and I still have my ship and all the goodies that came with my backer package. :toot:

Logged into kickstarter just to see what I originally pledged for and this made me chuckle:

Sell you jpegs for a double refund imo. Its called the grey market because they will all be pensioners before SC comes out

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Just reading a transcript of this and lets compare the replies to the first two questions.

quote:

02:10 Q:WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ALL PLAYERS LEAVE/LOG OFF A CAP SHIP?

A:If you log off when on a small ship the ship will not be reachable by live players, a system similar to this is likely to be used for capital class vessels.

quote:

3:56 Q: WILL BE ABLE TO BUY STUFF WITH REC/UEC IN THE MINI-PU AT SOME POINT?

A: Absolutely and it’s a high priority. It will come with persistence early 2016 and once in-game shopping is robust the Voyager Direct store on the website will probably go away.

First question about critical design points of the game. Answer is basically "eh, maybe kinda like this maybe? I dunno."

Second question about being able to buy stuff with UEC (an in game currency currently for sale in their store for real money). Answer, "Abso-loving-lutely, creating another avenue to get money from players is one of our highest priorities".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Speaking of which i wonder how many people have died waiting for their jpegs to become playable. Given the poor health of nerds and the older profile of people who give a poo poo about christ roberts it may be in the thousands. Can you transfer jpegs in a will even if they are account bound?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rudager posted:

Just reading a transcript of this and lets compare the replies to the first two questions.

First question about critical design points of the game. Answer is basically "eh, maybe kinda like this maybe? I dunno."

Second question about being able to buy stuff with UEC (an in game currency currently for sale in their store for real money). Answer, "Abso-loving-lutely, creating another avenue to get money from players is one of our highest priorities".

The answer to question #1 is this: If the pilot of a ship you're on logs off the game, the ship will disappear with him and you will be stranded in space. At least, I betcha.... Can anyone test this? Who's got the big ships? I'll be your stranded wingman any time.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

quote:

02:10 Q:WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ALL PLAYERS LEAVE/LOG OFF A CAP SHIP?

A:If you log off when on a small ship the ship will not be reachable by live players, a system similar to this is likely to be used for capital class vessels.

My favorite word: "Likely." 4 years in, and fundamental rules like "what happens when players log off the game" has answers that contain the word "likely." Meaning they don't know yet. Because they didn't design it. This is normal.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Justin Tyme posted:

They don't. Stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So apparently this week's 104TC actually contained information. Like, usable poo poo.

- Capital ships will have "safe zones" in orbit where you can park them and nobody will be able to gently caress with them (MY IMMERSION). Outside those safe zones then maybe, potentially, depending on how they do it, those ships might be safe.

- LOL you won't be able to buy used ships. You can only buy new ones and sell your used ones to the dealer at a discount. Well maybe, longer term, you'll be able to do it. You will "definitely" be able to transfer ships between players though, within the rules, with poo poo likes taxes. No mention of when that would happen though.

- Autopilot is gone. Now the plan for landing is for there to be landing "tunnels" that you'll fly through. Go outside the bounds and your ship will go on auto-pilot to avoid Space 9/11. Also procedural stuff will now included Crysis level detail on animals and vegetation so you can be a space hunter and skin your prey.

I guess when you have no schedule you can leapfrog Elite and No Man's Sky in a single sentence.

LOL!! Yup; pretty much

• Locked thread