Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

All those nasty religious people are going to die off eventually and their kids are going to become atheists, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why don't we impose a ban on Islam until all mosques permit co-ed prayers? :shrug:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And while we're at it, make them permit prayers with my dog.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

THC posted:

All those nasty religious people are going to die off eventually and their kids are going to become atheists, who cares.

Doesnt Canada have one of the worlds highest interracial/religious marriage rates? I wonder how much of that, if any, comes from that lack of identity we constantly complain about. Seems like it would be easier to stray from your parents strict rules when the outside pressure isnt there. :v:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cultural Imperial posted:

Why don't we impose a ban on Islam until all mosques permit co-ed prayers? :shrug:

I'd be ok with a ban on all religions, we can first start though by denying catholic schools public monies and go from there.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Uh, looks like she walked this incredibly fine line with aplomb, Ezra.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Furnaceface posted:

Doesnt Canada have one of the worlds highest interracial/religious marriage rates? I wonder how much of that, if any, comes from that lack of identity we constantly complain about. Seems like it would be easier to stray from your parents strict rules when the outside pressure isnt there. :v:

I like to think that Canada's national identity is that we're the inverse Borg.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

THC posted:

That's as hopeful as it gets. Especially considering the recent surge of religion in the US.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

Uh, looks like she walked this incredibly fine line with aplomb, Ezra.

Sometimes elected officials just gotta condone some old fashioned gender inequality to placate superstitious people. Anyone who believes otherwise is Ezra.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

And while we're at it, make them permit prayers with my dog.

Is dog meat halal?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
somebody pointed out to me today that "trigger warnings" are already totally normal and standard in the context of, say, violent or sexually-explicit television- 'viewer discretion is advised' is basically baked into everybody's brains by this point- which really does put people being weird and lovely about the fed doing that same thing where it's even more appropriate in perspective.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ikantski posted:

Sometimes elected officials just gotta condone some old fashioned gender inequality to placate superstitious people. Anyone who believes otherwise is Ezra.

Stamping your feet and running gravel through your hair is not the way to convince people - breaking taboo on both sides of the argument to speak to the congregation of a mosque will.

Also, you're not walking back from this. You're now full blown orange wig, Rebel-Establishment Ezra. You hosed up your New Year jubilee!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ambrose Burnside posted:

somebody pointed out to me today that "trigger warnings" are already totally normal and standard in the context of, say, violent or sexually-explicit television- 'viewer discretion is advised' is basically baked into everybody's brains by this point- which really does put people being weird and lovely about the fed doing that same thing where it's even more appropriate in perspective.
Or god forbid a university. How can these coddled politically correct millennials expect to receive a well-rounded education without being unnecessarily traumatized every now and then?!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Or god forbid a university. How can these coddled politically correct millennials expect to receive a well-rounded education without being unnecessarily traumatized every now and then?!

I dunno I think articles like this raise some serious questions about how you teach subjects that necessitate discussion of traumatic events, and whether those subjects can actually be taught if you allow students, rather than teachers, to pick and choose the discussions they're willing to engage in.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jordan7hm posted:

I dunno I think articles like this raise some serious questions about how you teach subjects that necessitate discussion of traumatic events, and whether those subjects can actually be taught if you allow students, rather than teachers, to pick and choose the discussions they're willing to engage in.

quote:

These organizations also ask criminal-law teachers to warn their classes that the rape-law unit might “trigger” traumatic memories. Individual students often ask teachers not to include the law of rape on exams for fear that the material would cause them to perform less well. One teacher I know was recently asked by a student not to use the word “violate” in class—as in “Does this conduct violate the law?”—because the word was triggering. Some students have even suggested that rape law should not be taught because of its potential to cause distress.

:pram: I want to be a lawyer!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ignoring your problems will just exasperate them, putting a band aid on a symptom instead of actually fixing the problem won't work. Also, it's not like you don't know what it's about anyways, reading a rape warning you know it's an article about rape, just like if a newscaster says the n word you know what they really mean.

Overall it's seems like it's just an attempt by the government to curry favour from a certain segment of the internet, because trigger warnings don't actually do anything.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Do it ironically posted:

Ignoring your problems will just exasperate them, putting a band aid on a symptom instead of actually fixing the problem won't work. Also, it's not like you don't know what it's about anyways, reading a rape warning you know it's an article about rape, just like if a newscaster says the n word you know what they really mean.

Overall it's seems like it's just an attempt by the government to curry favour from a certain segment of the internet, because trigger warnings don't actually do anything.

submitting people dealing with trauma to further trauma does not actually constitute fixing anything by itself and often actively does harm, is the thing, trigger warnings manifestly do plenty and its really weird to pretend otherwise
i mean it probably IS to curry favour but that doesnt actually mean it isnt a good or at least entirely-benign-who-gives-a-poo poo thing. the excesses of tumblr do not invalidate the usefulness and why-wouldnt-you-do-this factor of "theres some hosed up poo poo you might not wanna see below this point"

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 5, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

Trigger warnings can still be appropriate, but on the other hand you don't get to ignore things just because they might trigger you. Essentially, I think people have a right to be informed they'll be exposed to that sort of material, but they do not have the right to be excused from it in the context of a university education.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Best part of Ujjal's piece about reverse racism is when he cites Bono as an authority on how great Canada is.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/nimr-al-nimr-saudi-arabia-death-sentence-canada-1.3389209

quote:

Canadian diplomats in Saudi Arabia appear to have misjudged the outcome and the potential magnitude of a death sentence handed down in 2014 against a prominent Shia cleric, whose execution over the weekend has sparked a crisis in the Middle East.

Growing up in a third world shithole while my dad worked on CIDA projects, I learned at a very young age that Canadian consular services and the diplomatic corps were staffed by grade a human garbage. All I can say is good job loving this up dumb asses.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Whiskey Sours posted:

Is dog meat halal?

predatory animals are not halal

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Dogs are haram you dumb fucks

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Eating them or keeping them around as pets?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

THC posted:

Best part of Ujjal's piece about reverse racism is when he cites Bono as an authority on how great Canada is.

citing bono in support of any claim whatsoever is a de-facto strike against said claim

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Somebody better tell Obama :v:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/nimr-al-nimr-saudi-arabia-death-sentence-canada-1.3389209

Growing up in a third world shithole while my dad worked on CIDA projects, I learned at a very young age that Canadian consular services and the diplomatic corps were staffed by grade a human garbage. All I can say is good job loving this up dumb asses.

Judging by Chris Alexander this is probably true.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

James Baud posted:

Gonna start needing trigger warning warnings before long because even the very mention of what may be triggered will be too much for more sensitive souls.

White boys who get triggered by trigger warnings gonna need a trigger warning warning so they can leave the room before the actual trigger warning is issued

Call that trigger warning prime

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

James Baud posted:

Gonna start needing trigger warning warnings before long because even the very mention of what may be triggered will be too much for more sensitive souls.

this is some insightful + reflective commentary, thank you for contributing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Here are the regular columnists for the nationally circulated newspaper that published a piece warning white men are being silenced

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

THC posted:

Here are the regular columnists for the nationally circulated newspaper that published a piece warning white men are being silenced

Did you actually read the article or just the headline?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

THC posted:

I'd say we're going for "stopped clock" here.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Brannock posted:

Did you actually read the article or just the headline?

Yes, unfortunately

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 5, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Always nice to see a Liberal campaign promise kept.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//news/politics/ottawa-going-ahead-with-saudi-arms-deal-despite-condemning-executions/article28013908/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe posted:

The Canadian government is proceeding with a controversial $15-billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia even as it publicly condemns Riyadh for a mass execution of 47 people, including a dissident Shia Muslim cleric.

Foreign Affairs Minster Stéphane Dion released a statement this week decrying the capital punishment meted out Jan. 2 and calling on the Saudis to respect peaceful dissent and respect human rights. Sheik Nimr al-Nimr, the Shia cleric, was executed along with 46 others convicted on terrorism charges.

But the biggest Saudi mass execution in decades – delivered by beheading and in a few cases firing squad – is not moving Ottawa to reconsider a massive deal to supply the Mideast country with armoured fighting vehicles. The transaction will support about 3,000 jobs in Canada for 14 years.

“A private company is delivering the goods according to a signed contract with the government of Saudi Arabia. The government of Canada has no intention of cancelling that contract,” Adam Barratt, director of communications for Mr. Dion, said on Monday.

Federal rules oblige Ottawa to examine whether arms shipments to countries with poor human-rights records, such as Saudi Arabia, would endanger the local population.

This is no ordinary transaction between a Canadian company and a foreign customer.

The former Conservative government used its diplomatic resources to lobby the Saudis hard for this contract. A federal Crown corporation brokered the agreement on behalf of General Dynamics Land Systems Canada, a subsidiary of a major U.S. defence contractor.

The Canadian Commercial Corporation, the Crown agency that helps Canadian exporters access markets abroad, is the prime contractor, ultimately responsible for delivery of the light armoured vehicles to Riyadh.

Cesar Jaramillo, executive director of Project Ploughshares, an anti-war group that tracks arms sales, said on Monday that Mr. Dion’s criticism of the mass executions carried out by Riyadh sounds unconvincing given Ottawa’s unwillingness to cancel the arms sale.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 5, 2016

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

A lot of future old men complaining about the pussification of America Canada and political correctness around here right now, drat

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

We gotta make Canada great again! :banjo:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Ikantski posted:

Always nice to see a Liberal campaign promise kept.

how dare u sully trudeau pt 2's pristine image

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Every time someone complains about trigger warnings or poo poo being too PC all I can picture is some dude screaming racial epithets in public and then throwing a giant tantrum when someone tells him to tone it down.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Kraftwerk posted:

Eating them or keeping them around as pets?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Every time someone complains about trigger warnings or poo poo being too PC all I can picture is some dude screaming racial epithets in public and then throwing a giant tantrum when someone tells him to tone it down.

Pretty much. The only people upset by these things are dumbasses with their own masculinity issues.