Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Coohoolin posted:

Art is cool and good and needs funding. This person, however, is a Bad Artist and is snarky about poor people. I wouldn't care about her getting funding though if you saw similar investment happening in other areas. A pal of mine is trying to get funding for a musical theatre production about the Northeast and can't poo poo for gently caress. Performance venues are closing down, bands from outside the central belt can't afford to tour in the rest of Scotland properly, recording anything costs an arm and a leg unless you're happy with college kids practicing their Pro Tools on your stuff... I don't know a single musician that can't live off their music, and most of them have substance abuse problems of one kind or another to keep up with working in bars and gigging and being awake till 6am every night.

How about throwing some money our way, huh? gently caress sakes.

Maybe becoming a drug addict before becoming a good musician first means their music is bad, and in fact, not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't everyone in rochdale hate him?

Who knows. He says not, but then he would of course!

quote:

“To a person, they were saying that I’ve made one or two mistakes, but they believed I was doing a good job for Rochdale and that I should continue as their member of Parliament.”

The Mail posted:

Yet shoppers in the town centre stopped to offer their support to Danczuk, 49, as we joined him during his two-hour walkabout to grovel to constituents yesterday.

One woman said: “I think he’s been stupid, but what man isn’t when he has had a drink? He has got my backing.”

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't everyone in rochdale hate him?
No, he apparently has (e: well, maybe had now) a strong personal vote in the constituency. Bear in mind that he took it off the Lib Dems in 2010, when Labour's national vote share collapsed and the Lib Dems were doing well.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 5, 2016

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

While the idea is loving stupid, what's even more stupid is Creative Scotland agreeing to it.

So if anything, it's mostly them you should be throwing your firebombs at.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Coohoolin posted:

Art is cool and good and needs funding. This person, however, is a Bad Artist and is snarky about poor people.

This seems completely unfair. She's a left wing campaigner and respected artist who is doing, what is in essence, an artist residency devoted to creating works exclusively for the city of Glasgow. Everyone's making grand assumptions but it feels like a misunderstanding because the point of her work is the complete opposite of what it's being construed as.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

No, he apparently has (e: well, maybe had now) a strong personal vote in the constituency. Bear in mind that he took it off the Lib Dems in 2010, when Labour's national vote share collapsed and the Lib Dems were doing well.

Is there any indication as to why people would personally like simon danzcuck? Does he go round giving blowjobs to his constituents?

e: I'm honestly not even doing that out of spite any more I just keep thinking that's how his name's spelled and that's how I read it every time.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Please fund my project. It involves me staying in my house snarking and getting depressed about humanity in general while trying to keep myself sane and alive. I will watch popular lovely TV shows that people somehow enjoy, read the tabloids and gossip magazines, know about the dumb/awful/corrupt decisions made in the world of that day, listen to lovely music that people like, talk to dumb and evil people that I generally hate and play awful video games.

I will have a wide range of tools at my disposal. Drinks, weed, anti-depressents and drugs for my kidney disease, hotline towards a suicide prevention center and a fire extingisher.

It will showcase the ordeals one person can go through their lives, so that people witnessing it will realise how horrible it is...before going back to doing whatever they usually do.

It's called The Melancholy Effect, which aims to challenge “Humanity's ignorance & arrogance” with a gloomy pessimistic nhilistic misanthropic attitude from me while everyone witnesses the destruction of a man who's intellgence has rotted away from being exposed to toxic information for a long periods of time.

OwlFancier posted:

e: I'm honestly not even doing that out of spite any more I just keep thinking that's how his name's spelled and that's how I read it every time.

From now on. The cool kids will use the word 'Dunzcuck' for having sex with someone younger and getting owned.

"Yo he got Dunzcucked son."

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 5, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

A pal of mine is trying to get funding for a musical theatre production about the Northeast and can't poo poo for gently caress.

This sounds like it might be more of a side effect of the drugs than anything else.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Has UKMT been outsourced to the Mail comment section? That's the usual place for seeing this kind of Arts funding moaning.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Has UKMT been outsourced to the Mail comment section? That's the usual place for seeing this kind of Arts funding moaning.

I am very surprised that UKMT is outraged by what sounds like poverty tourism yes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
From the age of 16 until 20 I never left Cardiff.

To think I was missing out on art grants is quite frankly depressing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure you can do poverty tourism in your own town but it sounds like a kind of lame art project.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Soylent Green posted:

This seems completely unfair. She's a left wing campaigner and respected artist who is doing, what is in essence, an artist residency devoted to creating works exclusively for the city of Glasgow. Everyone's making grand assumptions but it feels like a misunderstanding because the point of her work is the complete opposite of what it's being construed as.

what the deprived really need: well-intended condescension

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ddraig posted:

From the age of 16 until 20 I never left Cardiff.

To think I was missing out on art grants is quite frankly depressing.
to be fair it's not all bad here and I was an art student

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's no even poverty tourism. To do poverty tourism you have to at least put limits on yourself greater than "Live in modern city".

Problem is that what she's done is take a fairly humdrum idea of "Will doing art only in Glasgow adversely affect my income", gave it the title of The Glasgow Effect and gave it the header of a bag of chips. Just enough to piss people off and just little enough to pretend that that wasn't the desired effect to get loads of attention.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's got the project and the glasgow more than 15k worth of publicity already though so I'd say it's been a success

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Right, I'll do the Aberdeen effect, who wants to sponsor me to not go on holiday for a year? The fb header can be a buttery or that guy who got his head stuck in a bin. All blog posts will be written in Doric.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you're already being sponsored to be on holiday for a year though

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I wanted someone to cry over this reshuffle and now I think I got my wish.

http://news.sky.com/story/1616731/corbyn-keeps-us-waiting-for-reshuffle-news

I'd just read it and how utterly betrayed a journalist feels at having to wait for news. I don't believe that wasn't written with actual tears in the eyes. "Why won't Corbyn talk to us?" :qq:

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

forkboy84 posted:

Then say there are no plans for a reshuffle right now & hold it off for a couple months, at least wait until the 6 month point before reshuffling. What difference does it actually make when Shadow Cabinet positions don't enact policy? Labour are doing an incredible job at not even attempting to have a coherent media strategy.

I get it. The press don't like them, don't treat them fairly. But tough poo poo. Suck it up. Not going to change so make the best of what you've got rather than wishing for a world where the press were fair & neutral. Don't give them poo poo like this on a platter. I know we like to dismiss polling because it's still very early days but that doesn't change that the polling keeps going down. This is a major concern, there should at least be a flatlining by this point. They don't know how to control a media cycle. That's a pretty big concern in this day & age.

The polling isn't actually going down fwiw. In fact, it seems to me that the adjustments most polling companies are making post-election would make any *success* in the Corbyn strategy (to reach out to non-voters) more or less invisible.

And there's no way to control a media cycle without becoming complicit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The problem with reaching out to none voters is that they don't vote.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn polls well with the 18-24 demographic too.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

So voter turnout never increases?

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

The problem with reaching out to tory voters is that they vote tory.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Fans posted:

I wanted someone to cry over this reshuffle and now I think I got my wish.

http://news.sky.com/story/1616731/corbyn-keeps-us-waiting-for-reshuffle-news

I'd just read it and how utterly betrayed a journalist feels at having to wait for news. I don't believe that wasn't written with actual tears in the eyes. "Why won't Corbyn talk to us?" :qq:

What really surprises me about the coverage of this "revenge reshuffle" is that none of the commentators can see a distinction between a backbencher voting according to his wishes, and a member of the shadow cabinet publicly criticising its policies.

The charges of hypocrisy are bollocks - Corbyn would never have joined another shadow cabinet because he wouldn't have wanted to be bound by collective responsibility. The same choice is open to the malcontents.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Prince John posted:

Corbyn would never have joined another shadow cabinet because he wouldn't have wanted to be bound by collective responsibility. The same choice is open to the malcontents.
He actually stood for election to Blair's shadow cabinet in 1996, although he came dead last in the voting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_Shadow_Cabinet_election,_1996

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 5, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In the Metro today there is a bit about Corbyn talking to Cameron. They've employed lip readers to see what he was saying. They've determined that it is about Simon and his ex wife, who used to be a prostitute. There's desperation for you right there.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
The Guardian is now reporting that Benn is likely to keep his current position, with the general consensus being 'lol, Corbyn bottled it'.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pesmerga posted:

The Guardian is now reporting that Benn is likely to keep his current position, with the general consensus being 'lol, Corbyn bottled it'.

Literally nothing he does is reported in his favour.

First it's that his shadow cabinet contains blairites so isn't United.

Then he gets shat on for a 'revenge reshuffle'

Now despite the fact there had been no evidence of the former it's that hes bottled it.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Benn's apparently staying, so I'm going to predict the media will go with a re-run of last year's exciting SEXIST CORBYN REFUSES TO GIVE WOMEN TOP JOBS narrative.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

He actually stood for election to Blair's shadow cabinet in 1996, although he came dead last in the voting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_Shadow_Cabinet_election,_1996

Haha, no way! I take it all back then. Fetch the pitchforks...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Literally nothing he does is reported in his favour.

First it's that his shadow cabinet contains blairites so isn't United.

Then he gets shat on for a 'revenge reshuffle'

Now despite the fact there had been no evidence of the former it's that hes bottled it.

Yep. The Blairites don't even need to do anything to stab him in the back, they can just sit back and watch as the press creates fabricated story after fabricated story, and then when they turn out to be baseless, then argue that it just shows that Corbyn can't be trusted to do what he never said he'd do in the first place. And The Guardian is the absolute bloody worst in this department, and Andrew Sparrow is a tosser.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Pissflaps posted:

You can teach them the value of voting, Pissflaps.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
If he'd just told them from the beginning "gently caress off, I haven't decided how I'm going to proceed, that's why I'm meeting with my colleagues, go home and see your families" would they have listened?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

XMNN posted:

If he'd just told them from the beginning "gently caress off, I haven't decided how I'm going to proceed, that's why I'm meeting with my colleagues, go home and see your families" would they have listened?

No of course not. "Corbyn leads Labour into an ill thought out and rushed reshuffle. Tries to dismiss press as he forces his trotskyist agenda on the Labour Party. Sources disagree and say he definitely has it out for Benn and plans to make Diane Abbott the next James Bond"

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 5, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Benn's apparently staying, so I'm going to predict the media will go with a re-run of last year's exciting SEXIST CORBYN REFUSES TO GIVE WOMEN TOP JOBS narrative.

"It's the old boys club writ large as Hilary Benn keeps his position, where's your new politics now, JEZZA?'

Some Guardian journalist tomorrow, probably posted:

Corbyn once again demonstrates his unelectability by failing to produce a earth-shattering reshuffle which Labour insiders told us was totally definitely going to happen 'for realz'. By failing to give women and minorities top positions, such as Foreign Affairs or the Home Office, Corbyn shows once again the dark heart of unreformed 'Old' Labour; sexist and, if not racist, colour-blind in the worst possible way.

Related links: - Jeremy Corbyn not a vegan? You bread-a believe it.
Jez We Can?: - 10 top ways in which Jezza's bike makes him unelectable
Suzanne Moore: - JEREMY CORBYN IS THE MISOGYNIST DEVIL :byodood:

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

XMNN posted:

LABOUR IN CRISIS: CALAMITY CORBYN ADMITS "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Cameron's apparently announced that Tory ministers will be free to campaign to leave the EU if they wish: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35230959

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Prince John posted:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year all.

Has anyone posted this yet? The Tories have sneaked the abolition of lifetime council tenancies into the Housing & Planning Bill.

I haven't actually made up my mind about whether lifetime council tenancies are good or bad in themselves (I find it odd that the rich still have the right to be housed by the state if they historically lived in a council house), but I'm guessing that any reassessment will be hilariously incompetent and/or unfair so this bill should be opposed in principle.

This was from a page or so but I think it's a bad idea to get rid of lifetime tenancies because;

1. It's going to put people in an awkward position when it comes to getting more hours/finding a better paid job. Obviously that depends a lot on the threshold the government sets but in using this area as an example a two bedroom flat with the housing association is about £250 a month rent. In the private rental sector it would be difficult to find a 2 bedroom flat for less than £500. Even the ex council flats in the 'bad' area of town will be more than £400. So unless you put the threshold really high there's going to be plenty of people weighing it up (adding in the cost of moving and the ties they have to the community) and thinking it's not really worth it.

2. Social cohesion. Living somewhere that you expect will only be temporary means that you take less care about setting down roots and getting involved in the community. Especially if it's somewhere that has a big invisible sign saying 'lifes losers here'. Giving out your address will also mean announcing your pay bracket to all and sundry.

3. Council houses were meant to be for everyone. That was the great vision, somewhere where doctors and postmen would live in the same street (I can't be bothered googling the actual phrase but along those lines). By making it just for one section of society - and for a section that loads of people (including many actually in the section) hate is going to make it a lot easier to cut spending and maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LemonDrizzle posted:

Cameron's apparently announced that Tory ministers will be free to campaign to leave the EU if they wish: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35230959

I look forward to the press praising a Tories brave speech about how leaving the EU is the only way to fight Fascism.

• Locked thread