Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It left a really bad taste in my mouth for sure, but the stuff they were putting out before the first Russo reboot with Sid as the champ was a lot worse.

What was the deal with Goldberg at that time? Seems weird that they would turn the top baby face heel and keep the title off him forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who cares about that vanilla midget, it's all about the guy with the book: the Big Dog Kevin Nash

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

1st AD posted:

It left a really bad taste in my mouth for sure, but the stuff they were putting out before the first Russo reboot with Sid as the champ was a lot worse.

What was the deal with Goldberg at that time? Seems weird that they would turn the top baby face heel and keep the title off him forever.

I like Sid but he keeps forgetting his scissors

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I used to spend a lot of time in wrestling chat rooms, and when the finger poke episode happened there was an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the angle. People thought it was great and reinvigorated WCW. It turns out that we were all idiots. I thought WCW was going to win the ratings that night. It was when WCW lost that it became very apparent that they were in a lot of trouble.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I used to spend a lot of time in wrestling chat rooms, and when the finger poke episode happened there was an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the angle. People thought it was great and reinvigorated WCW. It turns out that we were all idiots. I thought WCW was going to win the ratings that night. It was when WCW lost that it became very apparent that they were in a lot of trouble.

But WCW did win the ratings war that night? Spoilered just in case:

“While the big switch of audiences to see The Rock vs. Mankind is much remembered, what is forgotten, is a Goldberg run-in on Nitro & Austin run-in on RAW were going on at the same time for the overrun. Goldberg saw Nitro bring its audience back, going from a 4.6 to a 6.5, taking many of those viewers back from Raw which went from a 5.9 to a 5.1. The growth of the final segment of Nitro, was an incredible 2.1 million viewers, among the biggest growth periods in history. Between the two shows on that night during the overrun, there were 13,827,000 viewers watching wrestling.” - Dave Meltzer

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Raw won the night overall, 5.7 to 4.9. Nitro just had a big increase for the closing angle. I believe the last night that Nitro won the ratings was when they replayed the Goldberg/DDP Halloween Havoc match.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The thing is, those ratings are still drat impressive. It's still baffling that they wouldn't just accept their somewhat lower rating that was still higher than most shows will ever achieve

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The wrestling universe is full of people who let hubris get in the way of good business.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vince would kill someone on live TV if he could get any of those ratings listed, even a 4.6

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Chris James 2 posted:

Vince would kill someone on live TV if he could get any of those ratings listed, even a 4.6

Speaking of ratings, here is WCW's ratings before and after the Georgia Dome:

Jul 97 (3.43)
Aug 97 (4.30)
Sep 97 (4.14)
Oct 97 (4.15)
Nov 97 (4.07)
Dec 97 (4.06)
Jan 98 (4.52)
Feb 98 (4.80)
Mar 98 (4.66)
Apr 98 (4.63)
May 98 (4.00)
Jun 98 (4.00)
Jul 98 (4.67)
Aug 98 (4.98)
Sep 98 (4.62)
Oct 98 (4.65)
Nov 98 (4.24)
Dec 98 (4.25)
Jan 99 (4.85)
Feb 99 (4.68)
Mar 99 (4.05)
Apr 99 (4.17)
May 99 (3.40)

If the [REDACTED] was so harmful, why didn't it take effect in January or February instead of May?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
In Nash's YouShoot he explains the idea behind the Fingerpoke -- Nash beats Goldberg, drops the title right away in a farce, never mentions beating the streak again. This (plus the accusations from Liz) eats at Goldberg until he loses it and turns heel, and he was supposed to get a stable in the margin somewhere too.

It's not what happened so whatever.

Anyway there's definitely a lot of false information about the Fingerpoke out there. I remember seeing a number of people who thought that was the first night WCW lost in the ratings and they never bounced back (granted they never did win the ratings war again after the post-HH Nitro, but ratings for Jan 11 99 were better than the Jan 4 show).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Speaking of ratings, here is WCW's ratings before and after the Georgia Dome:

Jul 97 (3.43)
Aug 97 (4.30)
Sep 97 (4.14)
Oct 97 (4.15)
Nov 97 (4.07)
Dec 97 (4.06)
Jan 98 (4.52)
Feb 98 (4.80)
Mar 98 (4.66)
Apr 98 (4.63)
May 98 (4.00)
Jun 98 (4.00)
Jul 98 (4.67)
Aug 98 (4.98)
Sep 98 (4.62)
Oct 98 (4.65)
Nov 98 (4.24)
Dec 98 (4.25)
Jan 99 (4.85)
Feb 99 (4.68)
Mar 99 (4.05)
Apr 99 (4.17)
May 99 (3.40)

If the [REDACTED] was so harmful, why didn't it take effect in January or February instead of May?

The moment itself is iconic as its representative of the farce that WCW was turning itself into. It also was the penultimate Nitro that came close to beating Raw in the ratings as well.

Ratings lag a bit, as it took a few months of little to no followup for the fans to finally turn away from the show for good. This was the immediate aftermath:

Goldberg was screwed out of the title at Starrcade. He gets a modicum of revenge at Souled Out in a particularly horrible match, but does not challenge for the title until the end of April. Hogan doesn't start feuding with Goldberg after Souled Out, he feuds with Flair for Uncensored and Spring Stampede.

Goldberg finally get a title shot on Nitro, but by this point in the 5 months since he lost the title, the title has changed hands 5 times to 5 different wrestlers, and none of the programs involved Goldberg. Then he lost in a 4-way match, and was clear out of title contention until Halloween Havoc.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

DynamiteKidd posted:

In Nash's YouShoot he explains the idea behind the Fingerpoke -- Nash beats Goldberg, drops the title right away in a farce, never mentions beating the streak again. This (plus the accusations from Liz) eats at Goldberg until he loses it and turns heel, and he was supposed to get a stable in the margin somewhere too.

Even if they went through with this it's a terrible plan. The point should have been Goldberg going through every member of the NWO before destroying Hogan again and getting his title back. Turning Goldberg heel was as retarded as turning Hogan face.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Whatever happened with that NITRO BRAND PERFUME that Heenan buried ? Did it really smell like poo poo?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Even if they went through with this it's a terrible plan. The point should have been Goldberg going through every member of the NWO before destroying Hogan again and getting his title back. Turning Goldberg heel was as retarded as turning Hogan face.

At least with Goldberg we know he didn't write the lovely angle for himself

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of the lessons of WCW is that when the product is hot overall, you can make a lot of mistakes that won't immediately come back to bite you in the rear end. So I don't know if it's possible to point to one event in WCW as the turning point, but the Fingerpoke made it clear that they were out of ideas besides "The nWo wins everything and shits on everyone else, forever."

DynamiteKidd posted:

Hadn't the company already reached the point where they weren't finished writing Nitro before the moment the show went live?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 4, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I swear I heard Nash say this was the basic plan, setting up waves of heels for Goldberg to destroy.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Whatever happened with that NITRO BRAND PERFUME that Heenan buried ? Did it really smell like poo poo?

It smells very cinnamon-y

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The most WCW moment was when it turned out the NWO trademark was owned by a gay clothing store

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

You mean like when he faced Raven and his flock?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

When I was a kid me and my granddad used to watch WCW, so I kept watching it after he died.

The week after the finger poke was the first time I switched over to RAW for a segment. Hogan poked the mark out of me.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Happy Fingerpoke of Doom day, everyone.

Though we're not supposed to talk about spoilers in the psp chat, I am incredibly excited to see this moment on Tuesday Nitro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di2DX_3KStQ

For those of you who were watching back then, was this the point where people really turned against WCW?

Nope, Hogan/Flair's double-turn and the ensuing Nash/Savage feud for the title was way more devastating.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

laz0rbeak posted:

Nope, Hogan/Flair's double-turn and the ensuing Nash/Savage feud for the title was way more devastating.

Plus DDP's title win without any buildup and heel turn didn't help. I think it was after that (and the logo change) that the plummet to the end really started.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vertical Lime posted:

Plus DDP's title win without any buildup and heel turn didn't help. I think it was after that (and the logo change) that the plummet to the end really started.

That was also the last really good WCW ppv

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

God DDP's heel turn was so insufferable. After what, 2-3 years of working his way up the card, feuding with Savage, winning the US title, working with Goldberg at Havoc... they make him winning the belt an afterthought, turn him heel, and have him drop the title to babyface Kevin Nash a month later. And this in a company that by 1999 was running out of babyfaces not named Goldberg that were worth anything. Just a really terrible idea.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

laz0rbeak posted:

Just a really terrible idea.

Terrible yes, but still not quite as bad as trying to turn Goldberg heel...and Sting...and Rey Mysterio...and Jim Duggan (although that kinda worked a little bit).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shiki Dan posted:

Terrible yes, but still not quite as bad as trying to turn Goldberg heel...and Sting...and Rey Mysterio...and Jim Duggan (although that kinda worked a little bit).

Don't forget about the Hogan/Flair double turn

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Every time I watch WCW, I have an urge to take my car to Pepboys and buy something from Duralast and Valvoline.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do they all wear Mechanix gloves there?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

One of the lessons of WCW is that when the product is hot overall, you can make a lot of mistakes that won't immediately come back to bite you in the rear end. So I don't know if it's possible to point to one event in WCW as the turning point, but the Fingerpoke made it clear that they were out of ideas besides "The nWo wins everything and shits on everyone else, forever."

Hadn't the company already reached the point where they weren't finished writing Nitro before the moment the show went live?

The nWo thing is a great example of wrasslin booking gone horribly wrong. It should have wrapped up neatly in 3 years but greed got in the way. The fingerpoke was ballsy because they assumed nWo could do progressively more heinous stuff and it'd draw.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

The nWo thing is a great example of wrasslin booking gone horribly wrong. It should have wrapped up neatly in 3 years but greed got in the way. The fingerpoke was ballsy because they assumed nWo could do progressively more heinous stuff and it'd draw.

it should have neatly wrapped up after sting beat hogan at starrcade '97

it should have neatly wrapped up after goldberg beat hogan for the title in the georgia dome

it should have neatly wrapped up after flair beat bischoff at the last show in '98

but it never did

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
It worked once before, so it MUST keep working FOREVER!!

see: top Babyface vs McMahon family

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tomorrow night is 1-4-1999 in case you were not aware. Raw will be taped so you should watch Nitro.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dsriggs posted:

It worked once before, so it MUST keep working FOREVER!!

see: top Babyface vs McMahon family

Eh at least Babyface vs McMahon feuds eventually atop and they drop off TV for a bit.

The nWo blew past 3 good stopping points and petered out after Hogan hosed up his knee and Hall was run over by a car.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

The nWo blew past 3 good stopping points and petered out after Hogan hosed up his knee and Hall was run over by a car.
I'm not sure exactly when the nWo should have wrapped up, but it definitely was before they'd been around for three years.

Now that I think about it, they should have lasted just long enough to create nWo Japan.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Tomorrow night is 1-4-1999 in case you were not aware. Raw will be taped so you should watch Nitro.

what time do you guys do that?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

But Scott Norton can't be there cause he has to defend his title in the Dome that morning!

corn in the bible posted:

what time do you guys do that?

8 EST/ 1 GMT

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure exactly when the nWo should have wrapped up, but it definitely was before they'd been around for three years.

Now that I think about it, they should have lasted just long enough to create nWo Japan.

Nah that would have been too early, nWo Japan was formed in December '96. By that point they were clearly building up a big Sting feud.

There was still money to be made and it wasn't stale.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well I wouldn't want to miss that, if only because it's funny to say that, in retrospect, Sting's peak was a year when he didn't actually wrestle or cut promos or do anything but a few run-ins for, what, 11 months? Just saying nWo Japan was necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

When Sting beat Hogan is when it should have wrapped up. Give Hogan his rematch with the stip that if Sting wins again the NWO is disbanded.

But lol at Hogan ever doing something like that.