Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Reading these posts reminds me of the JC2 airplane races. Most airplanes in JC2 control terribly and explode on contact with air. The solution? Buy a helicopter and fly it to the race starting location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
This loving retard game just wiped my 10 hour save. Kill me. (PC)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just finished up getting all the collectables, then the game drops a mission on me where I have to protect someone..while flying in the lovely jet :shepicide: THE HOMING MISSILES, ZEY DO NOOTHING

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

BillmasterCozb posted:

Just finished up getting all the collectables, then the game drops a mission on me where I have to protect someone..while flying in the lovely jet :shepicide: THE HOMING MISSILES, ZEY DO NOOTHING
Deactivate the Precision Aim gear mod and restart the game, in case you didn't know about this.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just started this on PS4 this weekend, and the controls kinda make me nauseous. I think I played too much GTA and now my muscle memory actively fights JC3's controls. Helicopter flying especially :(

Discendo Vox posted:

Reading these posts reminds me of the JC2 airplane races. Most airplanes in JC2 control terribly and explode on contact with air. The solution? Buy a helicopter and fly it to the race starting location.

For 99% of the air races the Not-Robinson R44 is more than fast enough, I think there may have been one or two that was very close though.

Now those damned base jump challenges in that game, goddamn :(

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I dreaded the air races from my experience with JC2, and then in JC3 they must have changed the basics of flight because they were super-easy to master once you unlock a jet.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

l33t b4c0n posted:

JC3 they must have changed the basics of flight

Indeed they did, they added something called a "rudder" which enables an airplane to turn left and right without banking.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

MMAgCh posted:

Deactivate the Precision Aim gear mod and restart the game, in case you didn't know about this.

Or just beat the mission without homing missiles, as I did.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MMAgCh posted:

Huh, thanks!

Beat the game, all I have to say is this: helicopter final boss? did the devs think that you couldn't just tether it to the ground and loving reel it in? Seriously, that instantly destroyed it, whereas the loving NUKE LAUNCHER did poo poo damage to the chopper.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Final "boss" should have been just a huuuuuuge civil war where you have to maintain control of every provence.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its just a sandbox game where you gently caress around with physics, I dont think it matters that the boss sucks they shouldnt have had a boss in the first place.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:laffo:

They're selling the preorder vehicles and weapons on the store now.

You can download a loving mod to unlock them for free.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Deakul posted:

You can download a loving mod to unlock them for free.
That would be piracy. The DLC contents are not in the game by default.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Guess whoever made those "Unlock All Rebel Drop" mods better edit the mods so they don't unlock DLC stuff then.

edit: Not sure which one it was in particular I got, but it was on the justcause3mods site.

edit 2: Wow, I'm a literal loving idiot and I shouldn't post when drunk, I forgot I actually preordered the game so that's why everything got unlocked. :suicide:

I will accept a ban for this stupidity.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 6, 2016

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Deakul posted:

Guess whoever made those "Unlock All Rebel Drop" mods better edit the mods so they don't unlock DLC stuff then.

edit: Not sure which one it was in particular I got, but it was on the justcause3mods site.

edit 2: Wow, I'm a literal loving idiot and I shouldn't post when drunk, I forgot I actually preordered the game so that's why everything got unlocked. :suicide:
Yeah it'll only unlock those if you actually own them. They're also unlocked by default without game mods.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I never used the preorder vehicles and only used the weapon once. The game doesn't improve from you getting even more powerful.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

AirRaid posted:

Yeah I feel like there's only like... two wingsuit courses that really require you to use the grapple or the brake. Everything else can be 5-geared just using directional controls.

the course corridors are very forgiving, you can literally just fly in circles in a safe area within the course near the ground for a minute or two to rack up enough points to get 5 gears

on one of the Grand Tour courses I have a top score of about 255k from just flying through and grabbing every reachable ring on the course.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

the course corridors are very forgiving, you can literally just fly in circles in a safe area within the course near the ground for a minute or two to rack up enough points to get 5 gears

on one of the Grand Tour courses I have a top score of about 255k from just flying through and grabbing every reachable ring on the course.
It's way more rewarding if you don't do this, though.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

yeah for sure they actually are fun challenges

but if some people just hate them and are having trouble 5-gearing, cheesing them is an option

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Whatever you hang from the flagpole before liberating a town sticks around (and shows up in the cutscene) until you untether it.

I tried pulling a boat up to one and hanging it there but I didn't have tether strength 2 yet so I gave up after about 10 minutes of unsuccessfully trying. I've settled for hanging army soldiers from the flagpole for now.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
This game makes me wish spiderman had a wingsuit, or that this game had a spiderman skin mod.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

frodnonnag posted:

This game makes me wish spiderman had a wingsuit, or that this game had a spiderman skin mod.

He's got those little web-wings under his armpits. That's close enough.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 7, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
How did they manage to make car controls that awful again? After Mad Max I was hoping they learned from the atrocity that was JC2 cars, but I guess their teams don't talk to each other or something?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The cars are awful in order to convince you of the fact that where we're going, we don't need cars. :colbert:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

The cars are awful in order to convince you of the fact that where we're going, we don't need cars. :colbert:

Well yeah but, but, race challenges! :v:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

orcane posted:

Well yeah but, but, race challenges! :v:

just get a f1 car? you can even do the mountain trails in one

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I got 5 stars on on the car challenges, most with the care they gave, or that Lamborghini looking super car. The handling is too bad if you aren't going flat out all the time. Sometimes you have to let off the gas through turns, then punch turbo right after you get out of the turn. I was using a controller, so I can't comment on keyboard and mouse.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i wonder if the next patch will make this playable on ps4 in terms of "fps not dipping to 19 every loving time things explode"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Real Foogla posted:

just get a f1 car? you can even do the mountain trails in one

I accidentally found one near the first time trial I did and yeah that works but driving everything else is still awful.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I got 5 stars on on the car challenges, most with the care they gave, or that Lamborghini looking super car. The handling is too bad if you aren't going flat out all the time. Sometimes you have to let off the gas through turns, then punch turbo right after you get out of the turn. I was using a controller, so I can't comment on keyboard and mouse.

Controller, and I'm used to semi-serious racing games, but that doesn't really help because of the moronic fake analog steering, with the "understeer then suddenly spin out" thing it leads to.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The EMP weapon seems pretty dumb: a projectile weapon that only blows up vehicles on contact? The basic tier RPG does that and also blows up fuel tanks, satellite dishes, people and anything else you fire it at.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Games > Just Cause 3: gently caress you, missile!

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I've spent approximately 5 minutes driving and it was a dick move to make the handling so loving awful to promote wingsuiting/parachuting everywhere AND THEN throw a load of racing challenges into the game. I actually liked the handling in JC2, it was hot garbage in comparison to most other games but I at least got used to it and enjoyed doing mile long drifts everywhere.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The good thing about the challenges is that they typically only unlock things related to the challenge. Hate driving? Don't have to worry about the driving challenges then.

The big exception is the dumb car bomb one.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
It'd be nice to have some of the DLC content from the last game in this one. I yearn for a Fiat converted into an artillery piece and a giant fuckoff hovercraft. Also some revolvers and full-auto rifles that don't suck.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenocidebot posted:

Also some revolvers and full-auto rifles that don't suck.

Counterpoint: The revolver does not suck, but unlocking it does suck

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The good thing about the challenges is that they typically only unlock things related to the challenge. Hate driving? Don't have to worry about the driving challenges then.

That's a bad thing IMO. If the driving was good then people would want to do the driving challenges. It's not that controversial to say that driving in JC3 is the least intuitive of any mechanic they changed or introduced.

I don't want to think that they intentionally made the driving bad to attract attention to the wingsuit, but there's definitely evidence supporting it. Even in JC2 the parachute was faster than most cars, that along with the fact that you don't need roads lends the game to non-vehicle modes of transportation. The parachute you could argue was nerfed to encourage using the wingsuit for travel, but it was kneecapped to the point of floating in place while you're trying to tether onto an object in the distance and accelerating slower than the pedestrians walking under you. The fact that motorcycles are so undeniably hosed up leads me to believe that whoever designed the cars snuck into the studio a day before release and ruined it on purpose, just to make the car handling seem better by comparison.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
What I was trying to say is it's good that non-driving upgrades aren't locked behind driving challenges, except for the dumb blast ones. The way they segmented upgrades instead of making it all one big XP system I like.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Counterpoint: The revolver does not suck, but unlocking it does suck
Maybe I'm using them wrong. Very little of the weaponry has "clicked" for me outside of the Misfortune rifle.

I'm hoping someone figures out a mod for the GUI to make a regular reticle appear onscreen instead of the strange crap currently in the game. Most of the weapons have way larger reticles than would be justified by their spread, and it seems like the complaints on other forums about inaccurate weapons stem from the reticles being misleading. It seems way easier to hit a head on shot two of any given weapon than shot one, entirely because of the hit indicator being the only centered thing in the reticle when shooting.

The single-shot stuff seems like it should be great, but it just feels awful to aim.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Not gonna say that Just Cause 2 was better, but that game didn't have me get to a point where I was like "gently caress this" and just blitzed through the story missions so I could finish this game and uninstall it. A loading screen tip told me "look for an airport to find a jet" and I was like, oh yeah, JC2's Panau actually loving had impressive airports and cities and actually felt like a real island nation instead of a loving wasteland with a few military bases and lovely towns dotting the map. The environments felt varied and interesting instead of kind of desolate and empty. In JC3 flying around in a jet and bombing the gently caress out of Falco while dodging around Bavarium nukes was probably the highlight of this game for me, and I didn't hate it, but it removed a lot of the features from JC2 (sprinting, rolling, whipping) for the sake of a stupid feature I couldn't care less about (tethering, maybe I'm playing this game wrong) and overall this game just felt a lot less impressive and more like a chore than JC2.

Final boss and ending was lame as gently caress. I was expecting something really awesome to top JC2's 'boss fight' (riding on nukes), but I literally just had to shoot the helicopter with a rocket launcher five times and I was done, I mean really? And I guess they set up Sheldon to be the bad guy in JC4, but my only reaction could be 'loving who?', like I'm supposed to give a poo poo.

So yeah I guess I'm saying that JC2 was way better. Still got 34 hours out of this game though and that's not bad for what I paid for it ($23 off some shady chinese key site[Kinguin]). Probably will not buy JC4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I'm about 20 hours, maybe halfway through story-wise and I'm pretty "eh" about the game at this point because the terrible FOV gives me headaches after a bit. Needs FOV slider bigtime.

This though:

quote:

a stupid feature I couldn't care less about (tethering, maybe I'm playing this game wrong)
and the wingsuit is the best part of the game, it gets much more fun when you get the tether strength upgrades.

FOV mod/hack/update or an Island in Chaos mod for JC3 will bring me back bigtime.

• Locked thread