Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I have a problem :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how relevant this is, but since we're sharing our emotional problems.

One of the things that helped me in the counselling I got was to let your emotions happen without letting them spiral. They're like a stream you are standing in. You feel them pass you and watch them go by, but you aren't swept away by them.

When I got home on Saturday I sat down on my couch and a moth flew out. Ripping up the cushions I discovered it was infested. It had been months since I'd seen one and thought it was finally over, but nope, started up again. I had about 20-30 minutes of panic and just sat there and cried. I let my emotions wash over me without fighting them, and then when the moment ended and I could catch my breath I started thinking rationally about it and realizing what I could do now and in the near future to address the problem, and I was able to take action. If I had tried to do anything while freaking the gently caress out it wouldn't have been productive and if I had tried to suppress my emotions I'd still be feeling anxiety over it.

So while I'm currently sitting on a cushionless couch, I'm feeling pretty good cause I've taken some steps to eliminate the problem and I've already had pest control come by for an inspection and we have a plan which should hopefully work. If it doesn't at least I know I'm trying something.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina, let me ask you a question. I admit, it may come across strongly.

HOW ARE YOU ALWAYS DEALING WITH MOTHS THIS ISNT A REAL PROBLEM WTF

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but since we're sharing our emotional problems.

One of the things that helped me in the counselling I got was to let your emotions happen without letting them spiral. They're like a stream you are standing in. You feel them pass you and watch them go by, but you aren't swept away by them.

When I got home on Saturday I sat down on my couch and a moth flew out. Ripping up the cushions I discovered it was infested. It had been months since I'd seen one and thought it was finally over, but nope, started up again. I had about 20-30 minutes of panic and just sat there and cried. I let my emotions wash over me without fighting them, and then when the moment ended and I could catch my breath I started thinking rationally about it and realizing what I could do now and in the near future to address the problem, and I was able to take action. If I had tried to do anything while freaking the gently caress out it wouldn't have been productive and if I had tried to suppress my emotions I'd still be feeling anxiety over it.

So while I'm currently sitting on a cushionless couch, I'm feeling pretty good cause I've taken some steps to eliminate the problem and I've already had pest control come by for an inspection and we have a plan which should hopefully work. If it doesn't at least I know I'm trying something.

where do all these moths keep coming from :stonk:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BabeLiker90 posted:

Because the pest control has not worked. I have no idea where they came from, but I think it's another apartment, but while they seem to go away for a while they always come back. It's super duper frustrating.

I agree though, I know it doesn't sound like a real problem that people have, but trust me it's super real. They get into EVERYTHING and their little larva are these tiny white grubs with black heads and then they wrap themselves up in tiny little cocoons made of fluff, and then they turn into these little gold coloured bugs that are honestly pretty terrible at flying. They fly sorta like ladybugs in that they fly a little bit to get from one surface to another but can't seem to really control where they are going that well. I know SO MANY things about them.

The best part is when you look up online what to do all the comments are like "this is my life now" about how all the measures in the world seem to only keep the problem manageable but never seem to get rid of it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

where do all these moths keep coming from :stonk:

If I knew then the problem would be solved!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I suggest you rent a bunch of moth eating lizards and let them infest your house for a time until all the moths are thoroughly digested

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
fuckin canada.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The pest control guy said he's gonna see if they can order in some pheromone traps for these moths but he doesn't know if they make them for these kinds of moths.

The good news is that when he was here we saw a dead one I hadn't managed to vacuum up, so it does prove I'm not crazy.

Being hypervigilant about bugs is weird since you look completely insane. People tend to not notice little specks of whatever, but if you have been on the lookout for certain types of specks you can pick them out no matter how tiny they are. I guarantee if you came to my house you would not see any signs of a problem, even when it was at its worse you could only see a very little bit of the problem, but I know it's there since I know what to look for.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I was in highschool there was a lice outbreak and I ended up getting lice and for a couple years afterwards whenever my head would itch at all I got super worried and would comb out my hair at the earliest opportunity just to be sure.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Ugh I got lice twice when I was a kid. It is the worst.

One of the times was right before summer camp, and if they find lice on you they send you home. We killed the lice with the special shampoo but couldn't get the dead eggs off, so my mom read this home remedy if washing hair in vinegar to get the dead eggs to detach from the scalp. I sat on the balcony in a bathing suit while she washed my hair with so much vinegar. The smell was so intense it burned my eyes and nose.

To this day the smell of vinegar makes me sick.

Edit: it was successful though and I passed the inspection and got to go to camp.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Asiina posted:

They fly sorta like ladybugs in that they fly a little bit to get from one surface to another but can't seem to really control where they are going that well.

Ugh, ladybugs. Or Asian Ladybeetles, I guess, I feel like it's been a long time since I've seen a proper ladybug. I'm pretty sure there's a bunch in my apartment because that's just a thing that happens in winter in Minnesota, but they've all wound up crawling into the floor heating and can't get out because the way it's shaped, so every night I get to hear a bunch of them rattling around in there.

Still, beats having them flying around (or a moth infestation, that sounds *awful*)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:rant:

I am 2 minutes late from finishing my errands to order uberfood. so rude I am grumpy in real life and also hungry ugh now I have to make something.

e: I have decided to make a veggie burger. I have no extras just ketchup and mustard, it is going to be so boring.

e2: maybe provolone? is that weird?

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 4, 2016

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

We had mice for a while but I kept killing them with a hammer and they're gone now.

I suggest killing pests with a hammer. This is my pro tip.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
My cat attacks any moth she sees

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I checked if #force4ham was still a thing and it not only is but has more pictures.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXHf1WBUMAAXiyE.png

It's honestly such a strange but perfect intersection of otherwise very disparate interests.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Asiina is it possible you're possessed and this like an Amityville thing?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

I am going to order (locally-caught and sustainably sourced) sushi through uber after I run some errands, but in the meantime if want some Frank Life Advice then quote this post with a problem and I will crackles my knuckles and see what I can do.

How can I meet non-crazy people in Paris? I have met a couple of great friends through work, but I wouldn't mind finding some people to play video games with.

Also in regards to moths, they don't eat your clothes do they? I think that'd be the one thing that would really bother me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A few months ago I discovered the joy of self-study for the sake of self-improvement which has led to me learning counselling, psychology and sociology. I'm so mad that my school never taught this stuff cause it's so much more interesting than anything I ever studied at A level. I've spent the last half hour thinking about how schools encourage us to fall in line with society and make sure we can be productive for society but have little personal benefit leading to this whole debate in my mind about the needs of society vs. the needs of the individual and I can't believe this is a thing that people actually consider a valid science. Why the hell did I ever think Maths was my calling? :psyduck:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How can I meet non-crazy people in Paris? I have met a couple of great friends through work, but I wouldn't mind finding some people to play video games with.

does J have friends? and do her friends have friends? once you have friends it is super easy to make more friends.

Rarity posted:

A few months ago I discovered the joy of self-study for the sake of self-improvement which has led to me learning counselling, psychology and sociology. I'm so mad that my school never taught this stuff

I know right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wouldn't mind finding some people to play video games with.

You're using the internet right now :eng101:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

does J have friends? and do her friends have friends? once you have friends it is super easy to make more friends.

She does and I get along quite well with at least one of them, but we've always been good at making distinctions between our friends. We feel it's important we each have our own private sphere we can go away to if necessary.

Rarity posted:

You're using the internet right now :eng101:

I've never been a 'PC' gamer and haven't much practice playing games online. I'm definitely a completely novice when it comes down to thanks to being a Nintendo kid so online gaming is just something I never got.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

BabeLiker90 posted:

I know you weren't trying to be dismissive but as someone who had to deal with a bug infestation nightmare that lasted two years and followed me from my apartment to my friend's house where I was living to another apartment, poo poo is no joke.

Moths destroy all your poo poo so I can't imagine how awful it must be to deal with that. I had bedbugs, which put me through physical and emotional hell. People get really dismissive about bug infestations and think they've got solutions to the problem (which is always incredibly helpful stuff like "throw out everything you own" or "pay pest control thousands of dollars top not actually solve the problem" or "use a combination of peppermint oil and prayer") but for real having a bug infestation is maybe the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Now when people laugh at me saying something about how much of a nightmare it was, I just describe the process of getting rid of them and how some nights I got bit so often I couldn't sleep anywhere but the bathtub or would wake up with twenty bites or just one that I scratched in my sleep until I woke up with my own torn flesh under my fingernails and watch them shrink in horror, or even better, start subtly scratching themselves because now they've gotten incepted and bedbugs will always be a fear.

I bet Asiina could tell stories about her moth problems that would scare you worse than any horror story. Are you a homeowner?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CCKeane posted:

We had mice for a while but I kept killing them with a hammer and they're gone now.

I suggest killing pests with a hammer. This is my pro tip.

I had to destroy the poo poo out of four mice that got caught in glue traps in my last apartment and while I didn't use a hammer, I give smashing the gently caress out of a mouse a conflicted thumbs-up.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

She does and I get along quite well with at least one of them, but we've always been good at making distinctions between our friends. We feel it's important we each have our own private sphere we can go away to if necessary.

you should be less european and become closer friends to her friends, then become friends with THEIR friends, and then you can drop her friends and just hang out with her friends of friends.

BAM

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

you should be less european and become closer friends to her friends, then become friends with THEIR friends, and then you can drop her friends and just hang out with her friends of friends.

BAM

This tbh

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Look Under The Rock posted:

I know you weren't trying to be dismissive but as someone who had to deal with a bug infestation nightmare that lasted two years and followed me from my apartment to my friend's house where I was living to another apartment, poo poo is no joke.

Moths destroy all your poo poo so I can't imagine how awful it must be to deal with that. I had bedbugs, which put me through physical and emotional hell. People get really dismissive about bug infestations and think they've got solutions to the problem (which is always incredibly helpful stuff like "throw out everything you own" or "pay pest control thousands of dollars top not actually solve the problem" or "use a combination of peppermint oil and prayer") but for real having a bug infestation is maybe the worst thing that's ever happened to me.

Now when people laugh at me saying something about how much of a nightmare it was, I just describe the process of getting rid of them and how some nights I got bit so often I couldn't sleep anywhere but the bathtub or would wake up with twenty bites or just one that I scratched in my sleep until I woke up with my own torn flesh under my fingernails and watch them shrink in horror, or even better, start subtly scratching themselves because now they've gotten incepted and bedbugs will always be a fear.

I bet Asiina could tell stories about her moth problems that would scare you worse than any horror story. Are you a homeowner?

Yeah, I'm extremely lucky that moths don't bite and while they are destructive to property they can't physically hurt you. It's something I try to remember to keep me sane when the anxiety would get bad.

That said, this is basically all true. I spent about 8-10 months living out of a garbage bag's worth of clothes that I washed every week at the absolute maximum, keeping every piece of cloth I owned outside on the balcony in the middle of winter. You don't really know how many cloth things you own until you have to get rid of them all. Clothing is just the beginning of it. There's towels and washcloths for the bathroom and kitchen, couches, chairs, curtains, rugs, tablecloths, bedding, thread and yarn, stuffed animals, scarves, lining of boots, and so on and so forth. All of it had to be washed and go outside into the cold.

I slept on my couch because I had to throw out my mattress. I also threw out some carpets and tablecloths that were completely irreplaceable. The area rug I spent over a month looking for the perfect one that matched my living room colour scheme when I moved into my first place and I remember how excited I was when I finally found the right one. The pattern just spoke to me and it was meant to be. I also had a tablecloth that was handmade in Greece and I managed to get it stuffed into my suitcase for the trip back. All of that went right in the garbage.

I would vacuum at least every 3 days. Pull all the furniture away from the walls so I could get to the baseboards, any piece of furniture that could come apart had to be taken apart to get into every little crack, and then I'd do it all again a couple of days later.

I'm extremely lucky that the landlord covers the cost of pest control, because I couldn't pay for it myself. They've been in twice which involves me having to take myself and my cats to a hotel for the night (which I do have to pay for) which I can sure tell you they don't love. But like LUTR said the only other option is to throw out literally everything you own and even then there's no guarantees. Home remedies do not work. Cedar does not work. Mothballs work only in small enclosed spaces, make everything stink, and are full of carcinogens. The pest control works for a time, but obviously they keep coming back.

The worst part is a combination of feeling continually on edge in your own home because even though it's not your fault you feel that you and your home are dirty and unclean and the fact that people don't really understand those feelings. If someone comes and they are lucky enough to happen to see a bug they think "oh, a bug, okay" but until you live it you can't possible understand how oppressive it is, so you just look like a literal insane person when you're staring at specks of dust on walls and inspecting clothing for the tiniest of holes. You might see one, but I know that there are hundreds, if not thousands. Bug infestations mess with your head and make you paranoid forever. When I got home the other day even though I hadn't seen one in 6 months within 10 minutes of coming in the door I was checking the corner of my dresser drawer and looking closely at the mattress for signs of them. Now that they've come back yet again after so long I don't know if I'll ever stop checking.

Asiina fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 5, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
RE: Life advice chat: Thank you, Ecco. i don't actually know where I'm going. I'm not actually tied to anywhere right now. I came to Maryland because an ex was going to college, but we broke up a year and a half ago. But thank you for all the effort and all the everything with trying to help. I'm definitely gonna save that post.

RE: Talos Principle gold stars:
Here's a guide that gives several hints on each star, including location, before telling you the answer. I used it a lot, and it feels less 'cheaty' than just looking up the answers.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Not being tied to a location sounds pretty exciting. Scary, but also amazing. I've always lived in places because I had to for work/school that couldn't reasonably be done anywhere else. After I finally finish my degree I'll probably be going wherever I can find an academic job so it won't be up to me then either.

If I had the freedom to just pick up and go I'd move out to the west coast of Canada or the pacific northwest if I was an American. I just love it out there. It's warm without being hot and cool without being cold. You have mountains and the ocean to look at, and I love rain.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

RE: Life advice chat: Thank you, Ecco. i don't actually know where I'm going. I'm not actually tied to anywhere right now. I came to Maryland because an ex was going to college, but we broke up a year and a half ago. But thank you for all the effort and all the everything with trying to help. I'm definitely gonna save that post.

RE: Talos Principle gold stars:
Here's a guide that gives several hints on each star, including location, before telling you the answer. I used it a lot, and it feels less 'cheaty' than just looking up the answers.

okay so how against the midwest are you?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm bound to New York City, if I leave for too long terrible things will happen.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

I'm bound to New York City, if I leave for too long terrible things will happen.

I agree, wherever you go would suffer dire consequences.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I meant the star where the hub world pillars were integral to the puzzle

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am working on spreadsheets come join

https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/sa-wifom-omgus

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have asiina's moth problems as well, so I feel her pain. It is some severe bullshit.

I am about to go out for dinner. Quote me if you want to be in a simulation of fake mafia with an experimental and hopefully improved suspicion factor development mechanism. Looking for 13.

If you are quoting me for that purpose, also submit a theme for the fake game.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I agree with the replacements, and will no longer be polite to diqnol.

well, it beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

I have asiina's moth problems as well, so I feel her pain. It is some severe bullshit.

I am about to go out for dinner. Quote me if you want to be in a simulation of fake mafia with an experimental and hopefully improved suspicion factor development mechanism. Looking for 13.

american history x

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Allen Wren posted:

WWE

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

well, it beats pickin' cotton and waitin' to be forgotten.

The hit Pixar movie Inside Out.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Allen Wren posted:

dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Allen Wren posted:

Sandwiches