Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Apraxin posted:

Didn't see this one in the posts of premature celebrations. At the 2006 Winter Olympics, a series of accidents in the snowboard cross final has given Lindsey Jacobellis the gold metal on a plate. Only one other competitor is left, more than five seconds back, so Jacobellis does a little celebration on one of the last jumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quQODOvrWMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

This is from a few pages back but I wanna know if he ever caught the road runner.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have plenty of firefighter and veteran friends and only one of them is someone I would consider a "good person." And that is because she set my broken finger at a party once so I wouldn't have to leave.

So why are you friends with a bunch of lovely people?

Are you lovely?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

That's the first time I've seen someone spike themselves like a football after doing something neat.

Dienes posted:

Good lord, that haircut is the real scadenfreude

That and the helmet had ears.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The introduction of slow motion video on iPhones is a great boon to society.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Firefighters are first-responders. Assuming her claim is true, I imagine said firefighters might have tried to jump in and help the woman in distress, rather than complain about the "junkie OD'ing on the floor." My Truth-O-Meter says "no."

Not to defend in any way, but if they were as drunk as she presumably was, then they did the right thing (legally in their own interest) by not jumping in.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

oldpainless posted:

So why are you friends with a bunch of lovely people?

Are you lovely?

Yes. Very.

Edit:
Also lovely people are more fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yes. Very.

Edit:
Also lovely people are more fun.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Two Mirage 2000 aircraft broke the sound barrier while flying low over the Plaza of the Three Powers in Brazil, shattering all the windows in the Supreme Court

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eoTqLnL0WI

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Cartoon panda schadenfreude via CD:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

quote:

During discovery related to the lawsuit, DreamWorks’ attorneys unearthed evidence that on April 10, 2012 Gordon had deliberately erased computer files holding material related to the lawsuit. In fact, Gordon installed and used a program called Permanent Eraser to remove the files, and then deleted Permanent Eraser itself on April 13, 2012.

:laugh:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Chromatic posted:

There's some schadenfreude here in the sense of "haha, you got caught. nannana". It's extremely interesting though.

It's a Canadian detective getting a serial killer and rapist(And an Air Force Colonel to boot!) to confess after confronting him with forensic evidence. The Detective plays him like an absolute fiddle. I linked to the part where the Detective starts to show him the evidence but the actual confession doesn't happen until 20 minutes later. Trust me and watch where I started it though, it's an absolute pro-click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsLbDzkIy3A&t=2097s

Oh yeah after you see the confession it's worth going back to the beginning to see how he's all smiles at first because the detective didn't even tell him ahead of time that he was being interrogated as a suspect, he just called him up and asked him to stop by the police station to give them some helpful info, just a friendly witness, you know

That said, the detective (Jim Smyth, who has been called the World’s Greatest Police Interrogator) is using a pretty controversial interrogation technique in which the cop can say pretty much anything, lie about evidence, etc., and this caused problems in a different case where Smyth employed the same technique, leading to a not-guilty verdict in that case

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

tacodaemon posted:

That said, the detective (Jim Smyth, who has been called the World’s Greatest Police Interrogator) is using a pretty controversial interrogation technique in which the cop can say pretty much anything, lie about evidence, etc., and this caused problems in a different case where Smyth employed the same technique, leading to a not-guilty verdict in that case

I found the interview too uncomfortable to watch for this reason. Keeping a suspect ignorant of their rights and misleading them into a confession is still wrong, and still perverts and weakens the justice system. It doesn't matter whether the suspect is actually guilty or not, the ends do not justify the means.

Don't talk to the police except to request a lawyer.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

WELL U DONT HAVE TO WORRY AS LONG AS UR NOT A CRIMINAL

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
http://www.latimes.com/local/westside/la-me-bootlegged-venice-20160102-story.html

LA residents complain to the city that some of their neighbors are renting out their places via AirBNB.

City shows and says "Yeah, you're right. But while we're here, we noticed that only 4 out of the 8 units in this building were permitted in the first place, so we're evicting you."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

http://www.latimes.com/local/westside/la-me-bootlegged-venice-20160102-story.html

LA residents complain to the city that some of their neighbors are renting out their places via AirBNB.

City shows and says "Yeah, you're right. But while we're here, we noticed that only 4 out of the 8 units in this building were permitted in the first place, so we're evicting you."

I'm not really seeing the schadenfreude? Unless the residents who complained knew that they were in illegal housing (which I doubt since the interviewed woman had been there for about 25 years), they're having their legitimate complaints responded to by losing their homes. That's not really "ha ha" material.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

For a minute I was worried that the dude who murdered a three month old baby was gonna go to jail but luckily he got off on the technicality due to the detectives process of questioning

The system works

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

oldpainless posted:

For a minute I was worried that the dude who murdered a three month old baby was gonna go to jail but luckily he got off on the technicality due to the detectives process of questioning

The system works

Oh, so he did it then?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Did what?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Poor Mama Murphy can't get no break even in Sanctuary

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

When you're working in a public role, maybe you shouldn't post things on facebook that make you look like a gigantic oval office. I mean, who thinks "junkie" when they hear "someone dying" at a restaurant? You would think that the first thing that comes to mind will be a food allergy or a heart attack.

How is your first thought not choking?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

oldpainless posted:

The system works

You realize that the flaw is that it can convince people to confess to things they didn't do, right? Not that it's vulnerable to some dastardly lawyer arts.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You realize that the flaw is that it can convince people to confess to things they didn't do, right? Not that it's vulnerable to some dastardly lawyer arts.

look if he wasn't guilty then they wouldn't have arrested him. Don't even know why we need the courts, just throw them in the slammer

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not really seeing the schadenfreude? Unless the residents who complained knew that they were in illegal housing (which I doubt since the interviewed woman had been there for about 25 years), they're having their legitimate complaints responded to by losing their homes.

Legitimate complaint? They weren't complaining about noise or stench or disrepair or a meth lab or anything like that - they were concerned that the apartments were being rented to "strangers" and "tourists" instead of long-term renters. Why's it any of their business? All they were complaining about were violations of arbitrary city ordinances, and when they ratted on their neighbors they found out they themselves were living in violation of arbitrary city ordinances (again, there's no safety issue alleged about their units).

It's like calling the cops to complain about your neighbor smoking weed and then when the cop walks in to your house to take a statement he sees your bong sitting there on the counter. I think people who should have minded their own business getting bitten by the same petty authority they went running to is schadenfruedy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phanatic posted:

The landlord has to pay each of the four evicted people $10,500 in relocation expenses.

Ahh, there's the freude.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm more of a the ends justify the means type of guy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Volume posted:

There's a whole bunch of entitled shitbags whose first reaction on seeing someone keel over in public would likely be "Fuckin' junkies!!"

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

The landlord has to pay each of the four evicted people $10,500 in relocation expenses.

Ahh, there's the freude.

Also the backfiring of the landlord attempting to use the evictions of rent-controlled tenants while also (later) arguing that all eight units were legal, then having two of those evictions get rescinded.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Volume posted:

Grandmas spoon had a 45 degree bend in it

lfield
May 10, 2008

Phanatic posted:

It's like calling the cops to complain about your neighbor smoking weed and then when the cop walks in to your house to take a statement he sees your bong sitting there on the counter.

I think you read that story totally wrong. An old woman getting kicked out of her home of 25 years because she complained about her landlord doing something illegal is nothing like that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

This one froze on me so I GIS'd it to see what it was and found a great Tumblr for this.
http://mondays.tumblr.com/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lfield posted:

I think you read that story totally wrong. An old woman getting kicked out of her home of 25 years because she complained about her landlord doing something illegal is nothing like that.

A better analogy would be complaining that someone is smoking pot in your building and the police searching your apartment and finding that a previous owner tucked a huge weed stash in your walls, and the cops just decide to say it's yours and charge you.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Hyperlynx posted:

I found the interview too uncomfortable to watch for this reason. Keeping a suspect ignorant of their rights and misleading them into a confession is still wrong, and still perverts and weakens the justice system. It doesn't matter whether the suspect is actually guilty or not, the ends do not justify the means.

Don't talk to the police except to request a lawyer.

The detective told him his rights at the beginning I thought. At the very least, he told him that he can walk away at any time and can contact a lawyer.

The reason this went so well I presume is that the evidence presented to the suspect was real and he knew it. He knew he was done and the long pauses was just him coming to terms with that. All things considered, it was a pretty slam dunk investigation.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't follow sports, why would the lady be crying?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

mind the walrus posted:

I don't follow sports, why would the lady be crying?

Her team is losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I got that much but what? Is it some big game or something? Is it the final play and Villanova just blew it?