Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
It sounds broader than what I was thinking. Given how much different stuff is mentioned in the article, I'm surprised there's nothing about gun trusts.

e: too slow on the draw with the article, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Good to see Obama saying "gently caress it" and doing what he can on his own, considering how captive Congress is on this issue. He might as well, too, since with a budget passed and someone being elected to replace him in 11 months he doesn't have a lot to lose.

They were going to run on "Obama and Hillary are gun-grabbing Demon-rats!" regardless of what he did, so he might as well do something. Otherwise what's the point of being President?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Edit ~ these headlines are both from the National Review.

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 5, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RuanGacho posted:

So they're going to pay for that land they're stealing from the public, right?

Why would they pay for taking back property stolen from the public?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:siren:IT'S TIME... FOR GUN CHAT!!!:siren:

These are good and cool.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 5, 2016

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:siren:IT'S TIME... FOR GUN CHAT!!!:siren:

Busted link, you left a quote mark in. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d124_story.html

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr Hootington posted:

Why would they pay for taking back property stolen from the public?

We are the government. I said this jokingly but now, :dogbutton:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/01/04/3735745/move-vs-oregon-standoff/

Tim Wise, of course, posted this comparison of MOVE back in the 80's and the current situation.

quote:

And 30 years ago, a similar standoff between police and a black anti-government group in Philadelphia played out very differently. Armed members of a fringe liberation group called MOVE were bombed and burned alive for directing their weapons at police. The bombing highlighted the stark contrast in the way cops treat black and white radicals.

Tear gas was thrown into the building to smoke them out. But when someone started shooting back, the officers returned the gunfire with 10,000 rounds. Without knowing how many people were inside, they began throwing explosives at the house. And when nobody came out, they dropped a bomb from a helicopter — setting off a fire that spread to 65 homes and that firefighters were ordered not to put out.

In the end, one woman and one child made it out of the house alive. Five children and six adults were killed.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

quote:

“If it does stop one act of violence, this will be worth it.”

"This but for terrorism." ~D. Trump

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Remember all those extremely well-thought out laws to combat voter fraud by requiring photo ID? Turns out it's actually about preventing certain people from voting. I for one am shocked.

quote:

Wisconsin Republicans are pushing state legislation that would block local governments from issuing voter ID cards -- which are required at the ballot box under a 2011 law -- even though the locals IDs currently being considered in a Milwaukee program aren't meant to be used for voting.

Republican state Sen. Van Wanggaard and state Rep. Joe Sanfelippo are floating a proposal that would bar cities and villages from issuing any photo ID card, according to the Journal Sentinel. It also would require that any ID issued by local governments to state clearly that it does not meet the state's voter ID requirements. Nor can local government IDs be used for any public benefits program, under the proposal.

BloodFeastIslandMan
Jul 30, 2005
What are you doing here?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So where are those cops now, and is this going to be a retrial?

It looks like this was a civil trial, the family was seeking 10 million in damages. One of the cops was taken off the streets after the shooting, remains on desk duty. It was his third shooting, second fatal. This article gives a lot more background and info on the trial, that first article is very unclear. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-police-fatal-shooting-met-20150303-story.html

quote:

The Tribune first disclosed in 2011 that within six months of Pinex's death, Sierra was involved in two other shootings, one of those fatal as well. A video of the shooting from a police dash camera showed Sierra fired his final three shots into Flint Farmer's back as he lay on the ground. Sierra claimed to have mistaken a cellphone Farmer was holding for a gun, but Farmer was unarmed.

After the third shooting, Superintendent Garry McCarthy stripped Sierra of police powers and had him placed on paid desk duty, where he still remains nearly four years later, according to the department.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

duz posted:

Are you kidding? They live for that kind of thing, or did you never hear about their Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill?

Oh yeah, I remember that.

I'm just jealous I don't work at NASA

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEAJrT8PeOo

Well, this is probably the most xenophobic political ad I've ever seen.

In a sane world this would be an attack ad from an opposing candidate

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Unzip and Attack posted:

Remember all those extremely well-thought out laws to combat voter fraud by requiring photo ID? Turns out it's actually about preventing certain people from voting. I for one am shocked.

:freep:

This is unreal. Voting rights - a contentious issue in the two thousand and sixteen election here in the heart of the free world.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The ultimate enemy of globalization is the double standard. All humans will be free and equal, or no one will be.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A good writeup from The Guardian's Sabrina Siddiqui on the foreign policy squabble between Rubio and Cruz (and to a lesser extent Rand Paul).

Somehow lost in this election cycle has been the fact that Rubio is an insane dipshit.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Paul D. Ryan (R-WI) really needs to drop that D from his name. Every time I see it I have to mentally correct that he's not in fact a Democrat :v:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Thump! posted:

Paul D. Ryan (R-WI) really needs to drop that D from his name. Every time I see it I have to mentally correct that he's not in fact a Democrat :v:

Easy mistake to make given his heritage.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

A good writeup from The Guardian's Sabrina Siddiqui on the foreign policy squabble between Rubio and Cruz (and to a lesser extent Rand Paul).

Somehow lost in this election cycle has been the fact that Rubio is an insane dipshit.

It's not lost so much as he's surrounded by people who are much louder about it than he is.

A guy I work with is basically what you'd think of as an old school southern Democrat (well aside from the fact he's Jewish :v:) and he's been voicing his distrust of Rubio a lot lately. Really I haven't heard him say he likes any of the Republican field, but he says that Rubio specifically has sold out. Not sure why he thinks this exactly but it's something he's brought up more than once.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rubio might as well be a robot designed to perfectly reflect the ideology of the GOP establishment. And the neocons are still a core part of that establishment, so I don't see why anyone is surprised

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

I thought these guys were strongly opposed to Obama's foreign policy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

You missed the best part of the whole thing imo

quote:

"The point is," Payne says, "communism is a utopian society. There is not government in communism. The government is the people. So, in order for that to exist, mankind has to reach a state where he is—where he, as a whole, has the responsibility and the morality to control himself. Self-government. Communism is full self-government. What is this an experiment in, America? Self-government."

Guessing dude hasn't read a lick of Marx but that's a pretty good description of the dictatorship of the proletariat

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

icantfindaname posted:

Rubio might as well be a robot designed to perfectly reflect the ideology of the GOP establishment. And the neocons are still a core part of that establishment, so I don't see why anyone is surprised

Yep. Christ he's even campaigning under the slogan "New American Century." And he trotted out his foreign policy ideology in Foreign Affairs months ago and the whole thing read like a 2002-era circle jerk.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

This poo poo is obvious to anyone paying the least bit of attention, but unfortunately not enough people are doing that.

This is how it works in every state ramming through new voter ID regs since 2011: implement increasingly stringent photo ID requirements for voting, then actively prevent those likely to vote Democrat from obtaining photo IDs. Driver's licenses and gun permits? Fine! Free ad hoc photo IDs offered by urban municipalities to access polling places and public services? Nope! Even though such a government certified photo ID would prevent the basically unheard of crime of in-person voter fraud, because obviously that's not what these laws are for.

They might as well drop all pretense and call these laws the "prevent urban liberals from voting" acts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Send them sugar free haribo gummies.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Matt Bruenig, the leftist writer and policy analyst, has an interesting interview up on his site with an out of work, soon to be homeless Trump / Cruz supporter fighting to get disability benefits from the Social Security Administration.

It avoids a condescending tone and paints a humanizing picture.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Send them sugar free haribo gummies.

Someone really needs to do this.

Put them in a camouflage bag labeled "Special Ops Tactical Energy Gels" and they'll be eating them by the handful.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

God Bless America. :911:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Easy mistake to make given his heritage.

They used to lean this strongly Republican until 2004 weirdly enough!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just send them jugs of the old standard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Trump Ad Fact Checked for Border Footage, Campaign Says 'No poo poo'

quote:

LOWELL, Mass. - Donald Trump may have some explaining to do about footage used in his new campaign advertisement.

Released Monday, the much-anticipated TV ad shows people rushing towards a border fence as the narrator says Trump "will stop illegal immigration by building a wall on our southern border that Mexico will pay for." But that footage is of a Spanish enclave in Morocco, Politifact has found.

The footage actually shows Moroccans crossing the border into Melilla and was shown on Italian network RepubblicaTV in May of 2014.

The Trump campaign plans to air the ad in Iowa and New Hampshire, so far buying $750,000 in the Hawkeye State and $500,000 in the Granite State, according to NBC News. This is Trump's first televised ad of the cycle, previously saying he didn't need them because ads on top of all of the media attention would make people "OD on Trump." However, with less than a month until the Iowa caucus, Trump has set a budget of $2 million per week to ensure victory in early states.

Asked about the video, Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski told NBC News, "No sh-- it's not the Mexican border but that's what our country is going to look like. This was 1,000 percent on purpose."

Lewandowski later emailed a statement that said, "The use of this footage was intentional and selected to demonstrate the severe impact of an open border and the very real threat American's face if we do not immediately build a wall and stop illegal immigration. The biased mainstream media doesn't understand, but Americans who want to protect their jobs and their families do."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEAJrT8PeOo

Well, this is probably the most xenophobic political ad I've ever seen.

I like how they didn't turn off comments.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

I wonder how much Trump would have to lie before he got in trouble for it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Slate Action posted:

I wonder how much Trump would have to lie before he got in trouble for it.

We've only got ten more months to figure it out, we may never get there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mister Metokur 38 minutes ago (edited)
17,000 dislikes? Jeb Bush would gladly take those, then at least someone would have watched his lovely tv ads.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gradenko_2000 posted:

Turning off comments is antidemocratic.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Well here's Marco Rubio's feet from today:

Oh man.

Drudge: RUBIO, WIFE EQUAL HEIGHT?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

She's just floating a trial balloon for when she reverses a controversial Obama decision.
Man, if Obama doesn't go down as one of the top three presidents ever he will have been robbed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Radbot posted:

It is cute. It reminds me of simpler times when conspiracy theories revolved around Greys and not jet fuel melting steel beams.

What about jet fuel melting alien Greys?

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Is... is it just me? She is taking jabs at the Benghazi hearing stuff with the talks about "committees" in there, right?

I mean I see posts going "wtg Hillary just say something dumb why don't you" and I feel they're completely missing the context. I'm not overthinking things, right? :ohdear:

• Locked thread