Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Anustralian posted:

Dick Smith’s two-year life as a ­listed public company came to an ­abrupt end when the banks appointed a receiver to the company and the troubled ­retailer appointed a voluntary ­administrator.

The company’s lead bankers, NAB and HSBC, appointed James Stewart from Ferrier Hodgson as receiver and McGrathNicol will act as the company’s administrator.

Dick Smith is expected to ­confirm the appointments on Tuesday morning. The company will now be formally wound up in a process aimed at maximising returns for the banks.

Dick Smith investors were tonight bracing for more painful news after the embattled retailer voluntarily suspended its shares ahead of tomorrow’s announcements. Investors already had to contend with two earnings downgrades since August, including $60 million in inventory write-offs, pushing shares more than 80 per cent lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Not men though.

What's the rationale behind this? I'd scoop out my own eyes before I watched an episode of ACA.

I can see it now, "The Running Bludger" - a new reality program brought to you by Channel Nine!

If it's single mothers they're hunting down I'd say that horse has already bolted.

A referral to counselling for family planning options for long, long term unemployed who have their umpteenth kid? I would at least listen to that discussion, but its a shame so many people will take this seriously.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Graic Gabtar posted:

What's the rationale behind this? I'd scoop out my own eyes before I watched an episode of ACA.
Read any of Gary Johns' op-ed pieces from the past few years and you'll get an idea.

Or don't, since they're garbage.

Gary 'Have you tried "kill all the poors"' Johns posted:

This is not an affront to single mothers or absent fathers, or struggling parents. Such a measure will undoubtedly affect strugglers, it undoubtedly will affect Aboriginal and Islander people in great proportions, but the idea that someone can have the taxpayer, as of right, fund the choice to have a child is repugnant.

Large families of earlier generations were the result of the combination of absent contraception and the need to have many children, in order that some survive to care for parents in old age. These conditions do not now apply. Infant mortality is minuscule in all sectors of society, and the taxpayer picks up the tab for aged care.

Therefore, there should be no taxpayer inducement to have children. Potential parents of poor means, poor skills or bad character will choose to have children. So be it. But no one should enter parenthood while on a benefit. It is better to avoid having children until such time as parents can afford them. No amount of ‘‘intervention’’ after the fact can make up for the strife that many parents bring down on their ­children.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol Dick Smith is beyond hosed, I hope all those teenage workers are watching the news and looking for new jobs or else they'll get a nasty surprise when the cull comes for them

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

In today's junk mail. I think I'll wait for the fire sale.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Read any of Gary Johns' op-ed pieces from the past few years and you'll get an idea.

Jesus, trust me I won't.

Good luck depending on aged care down the track Gary with the rest of the horde. How many kids does he have I wonder? If he doesn't have anyone I hope he's looking forward to lying in his own piss for half a day at a time.

e: A trip in the time machine people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deNlBLAXsxU

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 4, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Bartering culture is non existent in Australia

Hahahahahaha no.

I get people who try to haggle over to cost of a $0.75 chaff bag every loving day.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

How else is a true blue aussie battler going to get that chaff bag for that deliberately barren raggen ranga PM

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Well if he wants it cheaper he can take the whole bale of a thousand. That way he'll be set for the next 999 prime ministers too.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Lol Dick Smith is beyond hosed, I hope all those teenage workers are watching the news and looking for new jobs or else they'll get a nasty surprise when the cull comes for them

The three guys I was working with as a Christmas Casual are in there 30s to 40s and have been with the company for a decade. But I'll pass on your well wishes.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Anidav posted:

Yeah dude, you can call out the management or what have you, but 'lol Dick Smith is hosed lol workers losing their jobs lol' isn't cool.
Besides as poster above me said, I bet teenage workers only make up a small percentage.

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were posting from the perspective of the people whining about the Dick Smith staff "hoarding all the bargains"

sick of Applebees fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 4, 2016

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
He was just saying 'the writing is on the wall for people working there, jump ship now don't try ride it out'

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Birb Katter posted:

He was just saying 'the writing is on the wall for people working there, jump ship now don't try ride it out'

Maybe, but prefacing it with lol changes the tone a bit.

I guess I'm a bit tetchy because my housemate works at one, and after he heard the news he said he was having a little panic attack.

sick of Applebees fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 4, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Otherwise profitable store ruined by investment shenanigans. Free market working as intended?

Also I'll take that thousand. I don't want to do the next 999 prime ministers. I just want to be really really sure of one.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Brick and mortar stores are on the way out anyway. Might as well go broke now rather than later.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

trunkh posted:

The three guys I was working with as a Christmas Casual are in there 30s to 40s and have been with the company for a decade. But I'll pass on your well wishes.

Mate, they have to the right to convert to permanent part time or permanent.

Assuming they're not imaginary strawmen or Liberal voters.

BCR fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 4, 2016

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So this means that he wants to legalize and expand access to health centers that provide abortions, right?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

He probably would, the pro-life movement is pretty fringe here. Even Abbott only said he wanted abortions to be 'rare'.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

BCR posted:

Mate, they have to the right to convert to permanent part time or permanent.

Assuming they're not imaginary strawmen or Liberal voters.

Yeah they are already permanent and already unionized with the shoppies. But that is cold comfort if your permanent at a place that will likely no longer exist and spent a fair chunk of your time at.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

GoldStandardConure posted:

Well if he wants it cheaper he can take the whole bale of a thousand. That way he'll be set for the next 999 prime ministers too.

You might need to sew a few together if Hockey makes a comeback.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

"http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jan/04/malcolm-turnbull-lashes-out-at-the-australian-over-reporting-of-briggs-scandal?CMP=soc_567 posted:

Malcolm Turnbull has criticised the Australian newspaper for publishing a pixelated photo and identifying details of a woman who complained about the inappropriate behaviour of Jamie Briggs, which led to his resignation as minister.

Briggs resigned as cities minister last weekafter an investigation found he acted inappropriately with a female public servant in a Hong Kong bar.

The Australian newspaper published a front-page pixelated photo on the weekend of the woman and Briggs’ chief of staff at the bar, as well as her age and position in the public service.

The prime minister has criticised the newspaper and Coalition members involved in the leaking of the photo, warning their behaviour could deter other women from coming forward with complaints of inappropriate behaviour.

“From the outset I have sought to ensure the privacy of the public servant concerned has been protected,” he said in a statement released late on Monday.

“Publishing the identity of a complainant in a case like this not only infringes their privacy, it serves actively to discourage other women who are concerned about the conduct of a superior from raising a complaint in the future.

“I urge all parties to respect the public servant’s privacy.”

Briggs has admitted the photo was taken on his phone and was circulated to colleagues before and after the complaint, though he says he did not leak it to the Australian.

Turnbull’s reproach comes after the public sector union criticised the sending of the photo as a“gross breach of privacy”.

The prime minister also said Peter Dutton’s language was “clearly inappropriate” when hecalled a journalist a “mad loving witch”.

“As I advised the minister yesterday his language was clearly inappropriate as he recognised by apologising immediately to Ms Maiden,” Turnbull said in a statement released on Monday evening.

Dutton texted the political editor for Sunday’s News Corp papers, Samantha Maiden, calling her a “mad loving witch” in a message which was supposed to be sent to Briggs on Sunday.

Maiden had written a column critical of Briggs and authored the story which revealed he had sent the photo of himself with the public servant to colleagues before and after her complaint.

Dutton apologised for the text message and Maiden accepted it.

Asked if it could be guaranteed the complainant would not face any career-limiting repercussions, a spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Dfat) said her privacy was being respected.

“Dfat takes seriously the welfare of all its staff,” the statement said.

“Dfat has exercised its duty of care responsibilities for the officer concerned, including providing appropriate support and seeking to protect her privacy. For privacy reasons, we will not comment further.”

Briggs called his behaviour towards the public servant an “error of professional judgment” but has not detailed publicly what happened in what he described as a “very crowded bar”. Briggs’s chief of staff, Stuart Eaton, was also present during the night and text messages between Eaton and the public servant were also published by the Australian.

“We interacted between the three of us and with others in what I believed at the time was an informal manner,” Briggs said when he resigned.

“However, in the days following the evening, the public servant ... raised concerns about the appropriateness of my behaviour towards her at the venue.

“I’ve apologised directly to her but after careful reflection about the concerns she raised and the fact that I was at a bar late at night while on an overseas visit, I have concluded this behaviour has not met the particularly high standards for ministers.”

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

And of course the Australian responds today with a front-page story, a commentary piece and an editorial saying the real issue is the PMs inappropriate process for investigating ministerial conduct.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trapezium Dave posted:

And of course the Australian responds today with a front-page story, a commentary piece and an editorial saying the real issue is the PMs inappropriate process for investigating ministerial conduct.

:unsmigghh:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Trapezium Dave posted:

This sort of thing gives me hope that the far right of the LNP hasn't given up quite yet and we may yet see a return of Abbott to the top position and an improbably ALP victory as a result

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There is just no way the majority of the party is going to vote Abbott back in as leader in this term of government. Even if Turnbull got drunk on Anzac Day and took a piss on a war memorial it would be Morrison.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It would boost his position in the polls, have you met Australia?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Too much hair for Dutton, missed a chance for a two-for.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

ewe2 posted:

Ironically I've stopped using them because their delivery drivers are incompetent and actually failed to deliver milk.

Same here. Kept swapping delivery days and then failed to show up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is loving amazing. :drat:

Edit: Seriously :perfect:

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 5, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

There is just no way the majority of the party is going to vote Abbott back in as leader in this term of government. Even if Turnbull got drunk on Anzac Day and took a piss on a war memorial it would be Morrison.

They'd put Abbott in before Morrison, the right fringe have written him off as a traitor. This controversy just hurts Turnbull, the new line is all about attacking him. You can imagine the kind of pussyfooting around the incident from distinguished moral leaders like catallaxy.com, where Sinclair Davison is demanding actual proof that they're blaming the victim from The Drum (which attracts its own special kind of idiot), and Steve Kates screaming about the electoral consequences with an entirely different set of idiots who are especially mad at Xenophon for being too popular in SA and threatening 3-4 Lib seats as a result.

Some days you just want to set people on fire.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:siren: DO NOT READ CATALLAXY FILES :siren:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

:siren: DO NOT READ CATALLAXY FILES :siren:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You enjoy the writing of Judith Sloan?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Today on The Drum Chris Berg defends: price gouging.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says there is no point investigating who leaked a photo of a young female diplomat who made a complaint against former cities minister Jamie Briggs.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao. MRA government.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dutton calls women who oppose him witches and he keeps his job.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You enjoy the writing of Judith Sloan?

As mad as they are, they represent the thinking behind the people who support the so-called conservatives; some of it is genuinely and unintentionally funny, some hair-raising, but it's always educational. The people on this site fancy themselves to be practical and insightful, some of them get stick from their own followers for being too intellectual or favouring big business. There's a lot of generational angst, and the usual bigotry and flag-waving, and some very strange ideas, but it's all out in the open and you can learn from it.

Perhaps the weirdest is the idea that government is not only doing it all wrong, it shouldn't be doing it at all but at the same time it should be doing more of it with less compassion and if only it had the right people this would happen.

If you don't understand why Morrison is no longer the man of the moment, you need to read these people to understand why, they don't always give their reasons in the comments on other sites.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The official Twitter account of the Australian navy’s adviser on Muslim affairs was shut down within days of an official complaint by an anti-Islam group about its content, Guardian Australia can reveal.

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yes

• Locked thread