Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

So, day one report. I get a sweet rear end office with its own bathroom and shower and poo poo.

An rear end office with poo poo.

Sounds about right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

trying to figure out why none of our security cameras are working.

They aren't Buffalo cameras are they?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I solved all my CCTV woes in a previous job by giving a sackful of cash to Avigilon. It was a huge sack though.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ookiimarukochan posted:

They aren't Buffalo cameras are they?

I'm proud to announce that there isn't a single buffalo device on the entire campus.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm proud to announce that there isn't a single buffalo device on the entire campus.

You have got work to do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

yet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

The guy under me has a superiority complex from doing everything the last month that I need to break. Most of my job is going to be bureaucracy and budgeting, with the other guy handling the rest. I get to spend the day on the phone tomorrow trying to figure out why none of our security cameras are working.

Just make sure to tell/teach him more than just what you think he needs to know... :ohdear:.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

larchesdanrew posted:

So, day one report. I get a sweet rear end office with its own bathroom and shower and poo poo. The guy under me has a superiority complex from doing everything the last month that I need to break. Most of my job is going to be bureaucracy and budgeting, with the other guy handling the rest. I get to spend the day on the phone tomorrow trying to figure out why none of our security cameras are working.

I think he stole the chair that's supposed to be in my office cause he has one really great leather executive chair and I've got two really lovely ones.

I'm putting a couch and a tv in that bitch.

Overall, 6 million times better than the television station.

You tell that rear end hole that you need is chair. And that he needs to give it to you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nitrogen posted:

You tell that rear end hole that you need is chair. And that he needs to give it to you.

Don't do that. Order a new chair.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nitrogen posted:

Do not do this.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

MiniFoo posted:

A ticket came in for a service request from someone who isn't our client:

This is pretty lol, but I work at a university so this kind of thing happens literally all the time. There's users in general affairs that call me in to diagnose hardware failures for them despite my department only being in charge of network services. For some reason they've decided they like me to look at their stuff despite me not being a native speaker of their language.

I've only been on the job a month, though, so I have no idea who, if anyone, in their department is actually responsible for handling that stuff. They're really nice, though, and it's always something that I can fix in 15 minutes or less so I always just end up fixing whatever it is for them while making small talk. I probably shouldn't do that, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spankmeister posted:

posting on the chmod page

Everybody could have posted, but some missed out :(

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

anthonypants posted:

Do not do this.

Yeah, passive aggressive is a better idea. Just wipe boogers all over it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

So, day one report. I get a sweet rear end office with its own bathroom and shower and poo poo. The guy under me has a superiority complex from doing everything the last month that I need to break. Most of my job is going to be bureaucracy and budgeting, with the other guy handling the rest. I get to spend the day on the phone tomorrow trying to figure out why none of our security cameras are working.

I think he stole the chair that's supposed to be in my office cause he has one really great leather executive chair and I've got two really lovely ones.

I'm putting a couch and a tv in that bitch.

Overall, 6 million times better than the television station.

a shower? is that a normal thing?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

You just announced a few last page

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

You just announced a few last page

:pusheen:

Kashuno posted:

a shower? is that a normal thing?

The administrative building is a repurposed house with one and a half baths. The half bath is on the second floor and the full bath is off of my office, which was once a master bedroom? I don't know.

It'll come in handy when pulling all nighters, that's for sure.

Also, in two years they start construction on an all new wing of the school which will include new offices for administration.

I like it. It's got a private balcony to the left and a sunroom down the hall. It's pretty quiet and cozy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

beepsandboops posted:

This . . . this makes no sense. :psyduck:

Crowley posted:

nah, it's just Idiot for "I don't want to learn Powershell/GPOs/Anything invented since ~2000."

Bingo. He doesn't want to look at GPOs when something breaks. He doesn't want to scare users with different prompts. "Let the network team worry about group policies". Trust me, they don't worry about group policies. But ok, enjoy doing profile setups in the middle of the night for security, admitting, and staffing.

OCT is really clutch. There is a hitch though in that we have 2 domains in our forest that can have duplicate usernames between them. Normally this is not an issue as they do not interact, but OCT sees both domains. I can't figure out if there's a way to tell it to look at only DomainA and ignore DomainB accounts. I'm just going to go with it personally. Best case scenario is that whatever random user gets assigned to the admitting desk at 10pm on a Saturday gets Outlook set up, worst case is they get confused and break it and generate a ticket, which is what happens anyway when there's no mechanism to set up their profile beyond us doing it manually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

:pusheen:

The administrative building is a repurposed house with one and a half baths. The half bath is on the second floor and the full bath is off of my office, which was once a master bedroom? I don't know.

It'll come in handy when pulling all nighters, that's for sure.

Also, in two years they start construction on an all new wing of the school which will include new offices for administration.

I like it. It's got a private balcony to the left and a sunroom down the hall. It's pretty quiet and cozy.

At least you can be reasonably certain you won't get visitors from the people in the auditorium - They'd probably fall through the floor.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A ticket came in: User unable to see required course in training system, please fix

Resolution: Manager requested user's account on 1/4/16, ticket came in on same day. Helpdesk intern did manage to create the user account immediately, but then promptly sent the manager instructions that were 10 months out of date. Outdated instructions did not work so user called helpdesk back and was told to create an account through the volunteer portal. Self-created accounts on the volunteer portal have no access to the required course.

So many points of failure. :(

pr0digal posted:

First day back from vacation and a client has an AC failure in their server room causing their RAIDs to freak out. I spend the morning getting their SAN back online and setting up e-mail notifications for their (very old) Promise RAIDs. I can't wait until we upgrade them to something that won't fail if you look at it wrong.
So if one of those old RAIDs fails, is it a...broken Promise? :haw:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can we all pitch in and buy larches a graduation present?
It doesn't have to be a Herman Miller or anything crazy right?

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

HA, work out on the budget first and just embrace the inevitable.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, order a nicer chair. So the other guy can have a reason to be jealous.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Order a nicer chair, take his chair without telling him you ordered him an even better chair.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Do the needful larchesdanrew.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/embody-chairs.html

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Order a nicer chair, then blow metal shavings into the wheels of his chair so it eventually starts to squeak.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
take his chair, then order him a treadmill desk and when he complains insist that it will increase productivity 100%

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Take his chair, burn his office, and jump naked out the window.

Feel free to intepret this as "what the hell, everyone" or taking the joke to the logical extreme depending on whether or not you think other posters are joking :v:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
murder him

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Buying a new chair is def the bigger power move. And you could play it as if you're the bigger person.

"That chair looks like it would be better in my office, they gave me these terrible office chairs. But Im just gonna order a new one becauses its important that we all are comfortable! Thats how I wanna run my team!"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

This motherfucker is tryna get my rear end fired this is war

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

How so soon? Over the chair? DID YOU FIGHT HIM OVER THE CHAIR?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

You really know how to make friends in the workplace, don't you? :allears:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

How so soon? Over the chair? DID YOU FIGHT HIM OVER THE CHAIR?

Hit him with chair and claim the title belt.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

larchesdanrew posted:

The cycle begins again :f5:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

18 Character Limit posted:

Hit him with chair and claim the title belt.

No that'll just get him DQ'd. Have to beat him fair and square. Then hit him with the chair.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

larchesdanrew posted:

[pretend this is a screen title crawl]

CHAIR WARS
Episode V: Larchesdanrew Strikes Back

It is a dark time for Larchesdanrew.
Although the CE has been defeated, School employees have driven Larchesdanrew from his cushy office across campus in a fit of rage.
Evading the dreaded Campus Landwhale Fleet, a small group of freedom fighters led by the SH/SC crew have established a new secret base at #BOFH on synirc. The Evil Campus Landwhales, obsessed with finding Larchesdanrew has dispached thousands of remote controlled flying porkchops into the far reaches of campus...

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Was the porkchop even cooked or are they eating raw meat off the bone?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nitrogen posted:

[pretend this is a screen title crawl]

CHAIR WARS
Episode V: Larchesdanrew Strikes Back

It is a dark time for Larchesdanrew.
Although the CE has been defeated, School employees have driven Larchesdanrew from his cushy office across campus in a fit of rage.
Evading the dreaded Campus Landwhale Fleet, a small group of freedom fighters led by the SH/SC crew have established a new secret base at #BOFH on synirc. The Evil Campus Landwhales, obsessed with finding Larchesdanrew has dispached thousands of remote controlled flying porkchops into the far reaches of campus...

CE: Larch, I am your father.
Larch: Noooo!!!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
CE: Search your feelings, you know them to be true. Join me, and we can create a Raid 0 Array out of Buffalo NASes
Larch: That's impossible!
CE: No I read about it on the internet somewhere I'm sure it'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I haven't been around long enough to have witnessed any of your legends, but am glad I will be around for this epic :allears:

• Locked thread