Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Fairy wrens :shobon:

And this prick I can never get a decent photo of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

toggle posted:

Fantastic images, drat. Those wrens are fairy as gently caress.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

toggle posted:

All three are beautiful pictures and as unfortunate as it is that he isn't facing the camera I really like this shot for some reason.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

toggle posted:

Wow, these are beautiful! I've never heard of this species before, where is it from?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Thanks guys. Fairy wrens are native Australian birds, the male has a harem of females (the grey looking ones) and he only turns blue when its summer or mating season. The chicks stay in his harem until they're old enough to breed, then leave. The males are kicked out when they're mature enough to be his competition. This guy has 7 ladies/chicks/birds in his care at the moment. Mature females have that orange band across their face.

And they live in my garden :)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
There's a ton of cool research on fairy wrens. Besides having the highest rate of extra-group matings of any bird, in some species parents teach their *unhatched chicks* special calls that they use to differentiate them from cuckoo chicks.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Oh really? That's so cool. I've noticed the male usually hides more than the females/baby birds, but when a magpie or predator flies by he has a different alarmed call and they all disappear into a bush and stay in silence.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think I heard about the Fairy Wren's teaching songs to their eggs on a podcast recently. I see now that they're really neat-looking, too, and the foliage in those photos is very complementary.

Up here in the wintery northern hemisphere, there's a distinct lack of foliage, which is great when you're trying to get photos of little birds. I took some today when I was out fishing. A decent bird photo is good consolation for when the fish aren't biting.

Yellow-rumped warbler, female. The males are more ornate. With a little more time I could probably get a good shot of one. They're pretty ubiquitous around here right now.

Another warbler. Unknown species. I still need to positively ID the previous warbler photos I posted, too.

I feel like I can get bush shots like these more effectively with manual focus + peaking on my a6000 than I could with any of my older 9-point AF Canon DSLRs, but I was engaged with some birds at pretty close range and some birds in flight today and was hurting for effective autofocus. A used 7D is still in the back of my mind.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think I heard about the Fairy Wren's teaching songs to their eggs on a podcast recently. I see now that they're really neat-looking, too, and the foliage in those photos is very complementary.

Up here in the wintery northern hemisphere, there's a distinct lack of foliage, which is great when you're trying to get photos of little birds. I took some today when I was out fishing. A decent bird photo is good consolation for when the fish aren't biting.

Yellow-rumped warbler, female. The males are more ornate. With a little more time I could probably get a good shot of one. They're pretty ubiquitous around here right now.

Another warbler. Unknown species. I still need to positively ID the previous warbler photos I posted, too.

I feel like I can get bush shots like these more effectively with manual focus + peaking on my a6000 than I could with any of my older 9-point AF Canon DSLRs, but I was engaged with some birds at pretty close range and some birds in flight today and was hurting for effective autofocus. A used 7D is still in the back of my mind.

First is a yellow-rumped warbler- probably the eastern one with the white throat although I don't know that i've tried sorting out hatch-year birds.
Second is an Orange-crowned Warbler.

regarding your camera musings, I guess think about whether your favorite photos are likely to be the ones when the bird is in the middle of a bunch of sticks or not...

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Love that first shot especially. We also have complete lack of foliage around here, unfortunately that goes hand-in-hand with a complete lack of birds.

If you do want a 7D let me know. I've got two sitting in a box that I really shouldn't keep.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Echoing the love for the Fairy Wren shots. The rain drops add some really nice atmosphere to them.

Some raptors from a trip to the the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area yesterday:

kite-diving-mad-river by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

owl-wide by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

grey-ghost by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

owl-dip by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kite-flyover3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And some bird portraits from the Sequoia Park Zoo:

I really wish this guy had sat still for a split second in direct sunlight, but I only got the back of his head as he ran across the path.

The material I shot for the BBC is up on iPlayer now for those in Britain:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vpb86
The BBC iPlayer Proxy plugin for Chrome seems to work fine for watching from outside of the UK, too.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 8, 2016

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
The place where I go to photograph falcons got featured on the news the other day

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-rail-yard-becomes-roost-for-rare-falcons-1.3389863

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

That light, those colors... :neckbeard:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This is my first post in the thread! I'm a total bird noob (with a new, low-end telephoto lens) and can't even name most of the stuff I'm shooting, but, well, I figure I need to start somewhere. I'm in S. Ontario (Toronto-ish). I welcome pointers and help with ID.

I think chickadees are great.

E: Here's a Red Tailed Hawk and some Canada Geese from last weekend's excursion.

a life less fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 9, 2016

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

That's unreal!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Your top one looks like a House Finch and the next one down is a Dark-eyed Junco. I'm not great with chickadees, but the next one looks consistent with a Black-capped Chickadee. Welcome to the bird photography thread!

toggle posted:

That's unreal!

Bubbacub posted:

That light, those colors... :neckbeard:
I really lucked out with that one. There's out of focus grass in the foreground at the bottom of the frame, then a transition from clouds to blue sky in the background. It almost looks fake.

I went out in the rain yesterday and followed some Red-shouldered Hawks.

rsh-poof2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

One of them did a sneaky little glide low over the water on a freshwater pond and into the reeds, so I ran around to see if I could get a view of the kill. It took off with a decapitated coot.

rsh-coot2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2016

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Slightly soggy black-capped chickadee.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

White-winged Crossbill by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
White-winged Crossbill by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
I believe this is a White-Winged and not a Red Crossbill though from the angle it's kinda hard to be 100% confident- going through all the pics of them in the trees that I took, I didn't see any other Red Crossbills, unless they intermingle in flocks?

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Same snowy as last time. Was hoping to see a male that had been spotted in the same vicinity but had no luck. Was also looking out for a short eared owl, but just found a rough-legged hawk where the SEO hangs out.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

a life less posted:

This is my first post in the thread! I'm a total bird noob (with a new, low-end telephoto lens) and can't even name most of the stuff I'm shooting, but, well, I figure I need to start somewhere. I'm in S. Ontario (Toronto-ish). I welcome pointers and help with ID.

I think chickadees are great.

I'm also in the Toronto-ish area (Kitchener/Waterloo) and I need to get out and shoot more birds. And chickadees are indeed great. Welcome!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

a life less posted:

Those are a great start, especially the poofy birds!

I finally got a decent unobstructed Brown Creeper:

gently caress you gravity, I'm a creeper

Sadly I missed the shot when it pooped on me.

Also found this very close parking lot crow, forgotten in the to-edit list for several months.

American Crow

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Alpenglow posted:

Nice.

neckbeard posted:

Same snowy as last time. Was hoping to see a male that had been spotted in the same vicinity but had no luck. Was also looking out for a short eared owl, but just found a rough-legged hawk where the SEO hangs out.
Great detail on this one. They're such fantastic-looking owls.

A female American Kestrel is showing up in the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area now. I didn't spend too much time waiting for a close encounter with it, but I think that will be my goal for my next trip to that spot if she's still around.

kestrel-swoop by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

My owl stakeout after that failed, but I had a Peregrine Falcon fly past me with a grebe in its talons while being chased by a flock of crows.

peregrine-grebe by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Two Bali Mynas, Bali, 2016 by Tobias Gustafsson, on Flickr

Bali Mynas are pretty damned cool birds.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Alpenglow posted:

Those are a great start, especially the poofy birds!

Sadly I missed the shot when it pooped on me.

Ah yes the Creepers. One of my favorites. They're like mutant wrens. I've encountered them, but I've never been able to get a good shot of one outside of the shadows. This is very nice.

Edit: How about more birds?

Still getting a lot of yellow-rumped warblers. I haven't seen any of the more brightly-colored yellow species yet although they usually turn up this time of year.

Coot, coot..

..(Egyptian) goose!

And one more. I walked right up on this red-shouldered hawk at the edge of a creek. They can stay very still, and I've unwittingly approached to within an arm's length on several occasions. I had to dash back outside of minimum focus distance to get this shot, and a fraction of a second later it was gliding away though the dense undergrowth, no more than 7 or 8 inches off the ground.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 18, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Locked Up by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

I wasn't aware that people did studies with chickadees and was surprised to see the banding on there when I was processing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Locked Up by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

I wasn't aware that people did studies with chickadees and was surprised to see the banding on there when I was processing.

There are actually a number of focal studies on chickadees, particularly in the east. There are also dozens (hundreds?) of general bird banding stations around North America that band whatever they can catch in their mistnets, plus college Ornithology courses, nestbox trails, etc. I'd guess it's from the latter category because birds in focal studies sometimes also have colored plastic bands as well as the aluminum numbered band. If you can zoom in enough to see numbers, you might be able to figure out where and when it was captured.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went out on Sunday, was super loving cold, -22C air temp with a windchill around -30 or so, found a big flock of buntings so that was cool

Snow Bunting by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Snow Buntings by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

On the way home I swung by the snowy owl area I've visited the past few weeks, I ended up seeing 3 different snowies, 2 on the same road maybe 2Km apart. Saw another photographer I know who told me he spotted an additional 2 a little bit north of where we were. So potentially 5 snowy owls in ~10Km radius. It was still fairly windy and the owl was perched on the top of this tree so it's not as sharp as last week

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I just got back from a trip out of town and the local birders are going nuts because Humboldt County has its first recorded Great Grey Owl in 15 years. It looks like there's going to be a break in the rain tomorrow morning, so I'm going to head out and see if I can find it.

My Steller's Jay and Red-shouldered Hawk footage is up on PBS's site now. The segment begins around 41:50.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/natural-born-hustlers-episode-2/13696/?button=fullepisode

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Why do you hate Canada, Moon Potato?

quote:

We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Moon Potato posted:

I just got back from a trip out of town and the local birders are going nuts because Humboldt County has its first recorded Great Grey Owl in 15 years. It looks like there's going to be a break in the rain tomorrow morning, so I'm going to head out and see if I can find it.

My Steller's Jay and Red-shouldered Hawk footage is up on PBS's site now. The segment begins around 41:50.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/natural-born-hustlers-episode-2/13696/?button=fullepisode

Nice! Very cool footage. I'm going to send this out to my class- we just talked about exploitative and manipulative signals on Tuesday. Just curious, is there a study that shows jays use the alarm calls to gain access to food?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

neckbeard posted:

Why do you hate Canada, Moon Potato?
Because you guys keep hogging all the Snowy Owls.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Nice! Very cool footage. I'm going to send this out to my class- we just talked about exploitative and manipulative signals on Tuesday. Just curious, is there a study that shows jays use the alarm calls to gain access to food?
Dr. Jeff Black at Humboldt State University has been doing long-term monitoring of this population of jays. I'm not familiar with the papers he's written, but I'm sure he'd be happy to respond to an email if you asked him about the details. From what I gleaned in conversations with him and the field producer (a former student of his), the mimic call is usually used to scare off larger birds that the jays wouldn't be able to drive off on their own rather than the small songbirds that we filmed for the segment. The bird performing the mimic call was the dominant female in the neighborhood group of about 8 Steller's, and none of the other ones ever did it.

Holy poo poo, that was an amazing Great Gray Owl encounter this morning. It caught a vole just a few feet in front of me - I had to whip out my phone and start filming with that because it was well inside my lens' minimum focal distance. I'm going to be sorting through footage and photos for a long time, but here's one to start off.

ggo-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Edit: Video of the close encounter. There was no baiting, luring or other interference with the activity of the vole or the owl here. I just had the dumb luck of setting up my tripod right next to the burrow of the morning's first active vole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx0D-G5PSbE
While waiting for the owl to fly out and hunt in the long grass (as I had seen it do in friends' photographs from the previous day), I heard a vole start to nibble at the grass right in front of me. The owl immediately took notice and flew in to a closer perch. I didn't think there was any way it would go for the kill - the vole was about four feet in front of me, and a couple other birders were standing close by. Everything after that is in the video.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 23, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Great shot with a natural perch to boot!

Moon Potato posted:

Holy poo poo, that was an amazing Great Gray Owl encounter this morning. It caught a vole just a few feet in front of me - I had to whip out my phone and start filming with that because it was well inside my lens' minimum focal distance. I'm going to be sorting through footage and photos for a long time, but here's one to start off.

ggo-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Edit: Video of the close encounter. There was no baiting, luring or other interference with the activity of the vole or the owl here. I just had the dumb luck of setting up my tripod right next to the burrow of the morning's first active vole.
While waiting for the owl to fly out and hunt in the long grass (as I had seen it do in friends' photographs from the previous day), I heard a vole start to nibble at the grass right in front of me. The owl immediately took notice and flew in to a closer perch. I didn't think there was any way it would go for the kill - the vole was about four feet in front of me, and a couple other birders were standing close by. Everything after that is in the video.
I'm really glad you got a chance to see this guy! Great shot and video. The owls really don't care about what's around their lunch, do they?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Haven't gone to see the falcons in like a month, arrived about 20 min after the resident Gyrfalcon showed up. She made 3 hunting attempts

first attempt:
Gyrfalcon hunting by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

second attempt:

Third attempt was successful.

She dove straight down vertically from her perch atop of the building which is a bit uncharacteristic of her, and it all happened within the span of like a second, so no one managed to get a kill shot. There weren't any ravens hanging around to steal her kill so about half the people took off after.

Drove a bit east of the city, saw a bald eagle in a tree with a couple ravens - my autofocus was acting a bit weird so wasn't able to get a decent pic. One of the guys at the grain terminal had mentioned that an eagle was hanging out in the general area where I saw it as there's a couple hundred ducks still hanging around a couple roads over. Found where the short-eared owls are hunting. I went looking for them 2 weeks ago, but was looking at the wrong side of the airport that they hang around. Looked like there were about 4 or 5 - light was crap when I was there. Going to try again tomorrow if the weather is better

Short-eared Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Moon Potato posted:

Because you guys keep hogging all the Snowy Owls.

Found this one on a sign post by a railroad crossing - different one than I've posted the past couple weeks, it's also got the spray-painted head from being banded but I edited that out as best I could

Closest I've been able to get to a snowy so far:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Great falcon shots. I'm loving the composition on the first one.

InternetJunky posted:

I'm really glad you got a chance to see this guy! Great shot and video. The owls really don't care about what's around their lunch, do they?
No kidding. It was perching very close to people as it went around searching for voles, too. It made a lot of photographers and birders very happy.

Another video from yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxqo4XUHyo

And some more photos:

ggo-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ggo-swoop by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ggo-landing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ggo-liftoff by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Goddamn, this whole thread. :allears: You're all incredible.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Haven't gone to see the falcons in like a month, arrived about 20 min after the resident Gyrfalcon showed up. She made 3 hunting attempts

first attempt:

Great shots! What time did you get there? I'm heading to the terminal today and was going to try for the SEOs as well -- do you mind sharing the location of the SEOs? I've tried twice now around the airport without any luck.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

Great shots! What time did you get there? I'm heading to the terminal today and was going to try for the SEOs as well -- do you mind sharing the location of the SEOs? I've tried twice now around the airport without any luck.

Thanks, I got there at 12:15 or so yesterday. Going to try a bit earlier, maybe 11-11:30 I'll be the guy with the dark blue Golf wagon. SEO's are out on the east side of the Josephburg airport - take 830 north to Josephburg and turn west onto Township Road 550 at the stop sign, first right is Range Road 215 take that north for about 1Km until you get to the 'no parking/stopping low flying aircraft' sign

Moon Potato posted:

No kidding. It was perching very close to people as it went around searching for voles, too. It made a lot of photographers and birders very happy.

And some more photos:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went out to Boundary Bay today. Happy to be getting more comfortable with tracking and such but feeling the limitations of the 300mm reach. Are these Northern Harriers?

Boundary Bay 1 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Boundary Bay 2 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Boundary Bay 3 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Boundary Bay 4 by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

I actually apparantly got a photo of an owl (not the greatest shot) as well which is funny because I didn't realise that's what it was until I saw the image at home. Or am I seeing a hawk with it's head turned?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I actually apparantly got a photo of an owl (not the greatest shot) as well which is funny because I didn't realise that's what it was until I saw the image at home. Or am I seeing a hawk with it's head turned?
Definitely a Short-eared Owl. Nice job catching the grey ghost while it's approaching the camera, too.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

And some more photos:

Welp those are incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Moon Potato posted:

At first I thought the video stream was getting suck on a single frame at the beginning. Especially since there's no sound, the perfectly still owl looked like a glitch to me!

Re: Stellar's Jay and Red-shouldered hawk mimicry: We have a breeding pair of RSH's on the property where I work, and they and their offspring are a fairly constant, loud presence. The other day I followed what sounded like one of them calling from a stand of trees near a trailhead, but it turned out to be a Blue Jay fussing over a flock of starlings. Blue Jay vocalizations kind of sound like Red-shouldered hawks' in general, though, so I can't really say if it was intentional mimicry to scare the starlings or not.

Thanks for reading my story. Here's a making GBS threads bird.

Eastern phoebe. Check out the perfectly spherical shape of the dropping :v: