Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

havenwaters posted:

They need to get a real good heel in there though.

Liam. Think about his joy in the face of Sonic Dreams Collection, his strength in Smash Fisticuffs, his slightly less spent lifespan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SONIC FREE RIDERS SONIC FREE RIDERS

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Holy gently caress Maddentown

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheRealestMatt posted:

What the gently caress is shuffle? Isn't it like Mario Party?

You're on the right track except lower your expectations roughly 500%

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot8-zkmno9U

The Sonic Riders games are home to some of the best music in the series so I approve of that too in the event that Somario Shuffleparty does not go through.

edit: free riders is way worse than zero gravity, which is actually a goddamn good game

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"[Orga] is poor man's Kamina"

AHAHA HAHAHA HA

E: oh my god MATT of all people, who cares the least, is the one who points out flaws in Woolie's insane "look man the OVAS-" argument

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 5, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shuffle really is a godawful game that'd make for a "good" brawl but the load times might be a dealbreaker, at least for a live event.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Like, Streets is fine and everything? But I'm for one really happy that Capcom at least did more stuff with it's beat em' up franchise, and there's something goofy/funny/entertaining about all of them.

FF
FF2
FF3
Final Fight Revenge
Mighty Final Fight
Final Fight Streetwise (yeah, there's parts I like/enjoy)
Final Fight One
Guy, Cody, Hugo, Sodom, Poison and Rolento in Street Fighter games
Haggar in Marvel

Instead of Sega seemingly being embarrassed by Streets of Rage's existence for some reason, cancelling 3 reboots of it, having the awesome Streets of Rage fan remake get taken down, and not putting a single character or stage of SoR in the Sonic All-Stars Racing franchise.

I agree with all of this - I like that Capcom keeps propping up Final Fight in their own way, even when the games suck, and I seriously don't get why Sega rarely does the same for SOR - but I wasn't really going for a FF vs SOR argument, my point was that it sucks that the original arcade game never got a good, authentic followup (the SNES sequels aren't bad or anything but they're totally forgettable) and it probably never will. Capcom was cranking out arcade brawlers at one point, too, so I wonder why they never made a second arcade game.

Golden Axe went down a very similar path - an arcade original with a popular port that got followed up with by-the-numbers console-exclusive blandness and a bunch of mediocre spinoffs, including a Saturn fighting game and an awful western reboot - but it did at least get a true arcade followup in Revenge of Death Adder.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised noone ever attempted a fully-3D Double Dragon game.
I agr

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

AHAHA HAHAHA HA

Kamina: A rightous young man who's dumb and doesn't plan ahead but is loud, charismatic and boisterous.

Orga: Quiet, cool young man solemnly trying to pull his blood brothers forward in life and trying to build business so they can live.

Same guy really.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

AHAHA HAHAHA HA

E: oh my god MATT of all people, who cares the least, is the one who points out flaws in Woolie's insane "look man the OVAS-" argument

Matt's real good at pointing out holes. It's my big favorite quality of his. The hole seeking.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Matt's real good at pointing out holes. It's my big favorite quality of his. The hole seeking.
But does he have better success finding real ho-*gets shot*

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The latest FFX video on Vessel, it sounds like you guys' commentary is a few seconds after the game, cause you have late reactions to things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

havenwaters posted:

They need to get a real good heel in there though.

Literally 6/4ths of the zaibatsu are heels.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheRealestMatt posted:

What the gently caress is shuffle? Isn't it like Mario Party?

It's like Mario Party, except instead of rolling a die you have a hand of numbered cards (hence, "Shuffle") and use them to move in any direction. The VMU on the Dreamcast controller can covertly display your cards, but otherwise every other player can see what cards you have during your turn, which is a problem since they can just straight up steal your cards to use instead of their own. You can also use your cards to fight enemies, which are a pain since battles mean two long-rear end loading screens for a 10-second long fight. The Firebird ship stage is especially terrible because there's a stage event that adds battle spaces everywhere. And since it's a Dreamcast game, that means plenty of EEENT OOORT. Also, the mcguffins you collect are a limited resource (7 at max, if you want the full Shufflin' experience), and the game ends when they're all taken.

Instead of doing a minigame after everyone moves, someone needs to land on a specific minigame space. The minigames are way more complicated then they need to be, which makes them really confusing to go into blind. Also, the developers made this game right after Mario Party 1 I believe, so they hadn't yet come to realize how frustrating it is to lose/steal rings during ordinary minigames. Alternately, you can also get a MINI EVENT instead of a game, in which you get to take your Sonic friend through an exciting Choose Your Own Adventure story, where you'll, like, pet a unicorn and maybe it'll poop a gem for you to use why not, or maybe it'll trample you and you'll lose everything because gently caress you.

In a nutshell, Mario Party, but with more random dickery. And Big the Cat (needs to be unlocked, sadly).

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 5, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Do I have to skip the first 30 of the new podcast? Please be honest.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sonic Shuffle is like Mario Party if Mario Party was even more poo poo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Andrast posted:

Sonic Shuffle is like Mario Party if Mario Party was even more poo poo.

yeah it's great

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

yeah it's great

For videos? Yes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

You know the answer to this

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Edit: I am a derp

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Rodyle posted:

Liam. Think about his joy in the face of Sonic Dreams Collection, his strength in Smash Fisticuffs, his slightly less spent lifespan!

They're going for heat, not X-Pac heat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, I'm just catching up on the FFX playthrough and just hit the part where Seymour shows up in episode 10.

Matt's "HELLO EVERYONE, I'M FINAL FANTASY!" killed me, both the delivery, and the truth to it, Seymour is so loving final fantasy it hurts

edit: lol hair antlers

this has been the most enjoyable LP in a long time, FFX is such a goofy mess, but an enjoyable mess

edit: "Yeah. Good job. Boo bah bee boh."

Woolie deadpanning is amazing. This whole LP is amazing.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 5, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Platinum Ninja Turtles achievements got leaked. You can guess a couple things about the gameplay through them.
I kinda feel bad for them though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Racist Wakka is amazing and I'm glad every FFX LP picks a different character to poo poo on, it keeps things varied.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Liam, how the gently caress is the ff13 dub good. That of all things is your one english defense?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Really enjoyed that Star Trek SNES game and getting to hear Matt and Pat talk Trek, and Pat just trashing on Janeway.

"You know how every captain has a thing? Kirk bones alien ladies, Picard is a nerd, Janeway is a monster..."

Also, the reddit thread for that video reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSuXtHpjI2s

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Blockhouse posted:

Don't give me a bunch of credit here. I wasn't actually trying to do this. My mind was fading out during the IBO talk, and i just remember hearing the words, really far away, "This is for TV, not an OVA, so they were held back, and couldn't do that what they want....."

and then my hearing went away, and the next thing I heard was, "They line up all the kids, and shoot them to death....:"

And I was like,

Wha?

Also, which part of FFX is out of sync? Can you give me a good time stamp? Maybe Woolie can fix it for YT in time.

Also, wait. What's the difference between Sonic Riders, Sonic Free Riders, and Sonic Zero Gravity?

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 5, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's just in general that recording session leading up to the Mi-ihen operation or whatever. Your reactions are like a second or two behind for that entire session. I noticed it too but didn't particularly care.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Can someone give a general summary of the (hour long???) discussion because I'm trapped in a 7 hour dusty coffin at work.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

TheRealestMatt posted:

Also, wait. What's the difference between Sonic Riders, Sonic Free Riders, and Sonic Zero Gravity?

Free Riders is a kinect game, so Woolie can't play.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of delays and such I think most people that play games are probably happier with delays than a buggy product the problem is that gamers need something to complain about so of course they'll be mad about delays :v:. I myself was a bit annoyed with Starfox Zero getting delayed but on the other hand that delay has definetely been worth it because the game looks a lot more polished now and I definetely would've been more disappointed with it being buggy or not its best effort (and given the last 3 Starfox games excluding the 64 remake, this series kind of needs a best effort)

Also adding my name to the list for you guys playing Sonic Shuffle if it's something you have time for since I imagine at minimum a Mario-Party style game with 4 players could take upwards of an hour even at fastest settings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'd figure with them literally mentioning MLG, they would put Activision buying MLG in the docket, but apparently it wasn't big enough news compared to platinum achievement scores.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheRealestMatt posted:

Don't give me a bunch of credit here. I wasn't actually trying to do this. My mind was fading out during the IBO talk, and i just remember hearing the words, really far away, "This is for TV, not an OVA, so they were held back, and couldn't do that what they want....."

and then my hearing went away, and the next thing I heard was, "They line up all the kids, and shoot them to death....:"

And I was like,

Wha?

It's still something you do a lot, any time someone starts saying poo poo that makes obviously no sense to any sane person listening. I appreciate it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tae posted:

Can someone give a general summary of the (hour long???) discussion because I'm trapped in a 7 hour dusty coffin at work.

Blockhouse posted:

anyway woolie anime arguments can be settled with "he unironically enjoys GATE" so it doesn't matter

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

And I was like,

Wha?

Also, which part of FFX is out of sync? Can you give me a good time stamp? Maybe Woolie can fix it for YT in time.

play knuckles chaotix

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm listening to them talk about Hokage power sets, and I wish I couldn't correct them.

I wish I didn't know.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

I'd figure with them literally mentioning MLG, they would put Activision buying MLG in the docket, but apparently it wasn't big enough news compared to platinum achievement scores.

MLG hasn't been relevant for a long while

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

I'm listening to them talk about Hokage power sets, and I wish I couldn't correct them.

I wish I didn't know.

Same shame

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm proud of my naruto heritage

Dattebayo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The real killer is knowing that the Moon's Eye Plan which Matt can't handle is neither the last nor weirdest evil plan of Naruto.

You'd think Turn The Moon Into A Sharingan by Guy Who Spent 10 Years as Final Boss would be the end but OH HOW YOU WOULD BE WRONG