Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

senrath posted:

A run with that many mistakes was WR. How did he not have a better time than that before now?

When you have no competition why try to optimize any runs? just like, take your time, have fun, hey world record whenever you finish. It's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

texasmed posted:

seems kinda like your average emo-ish early 20s kid, except he's posting stream of consciousness stuff on twitter instead of just bottling it deep like a normal person

based on my classmates from HS, that is what normal people do now

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That is the least exciting world record run I've ever seen.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
guys the game looks really, really difficult to run without making any mistakes. most of his deaths cost a half-second maximum. chill out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yeah i just feel bad for the guy

plus he's super passionate about the game, which was nice

i mean, he tried to commentary his heart out, but he got hosed by 1) a boring and repetitive game 2) a boring and repetitive couch 3) the game requiring nearly all his attention

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

HoneyBoy posted:

In the previous WR run he took a bathroom break

how the hell did this poo poo get in above other games that's weaksauce as gently caress

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

hey good for him for getting a world record. I honestly hope more people get into that game because it looks like it could make a really crazy speedrun if possible.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

"I'm the only person who plays this"
Yea we know.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I've decided to become the world's only Nemesis The Warlock for the C64 runner.

My current WR time is however long it took me to beat that as a 6 year old.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

"Hopefully we'll see more names on the leaderboards"

Yeah, if this run was your idea of a sales pitch, I'm gonna keep my money.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

texasmed posted:

seems kinda like your average emo-ish early 20s kid, except he's posting stream of consciousness stuff on twitter instead of just bottling it deep like a normal person

Dude was just drunk. Check the date.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

sarmhan posted:

I should speedrun a game no one has heard of so I can be the world record holder.

How have you people not heard of this game? It was a free PS+ game. It's probably been played by half of everyone with a PS+ subscription.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

sarmhan posted:

"I'm the only person who plays this"
Yea we know.

The more sad part is that 'great for speedrunners' is a bulletpoint on the game's store page.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Gamma Nerd posted:

guys the game looks really, really difficult to run without making any mistakes. most of his deaths cost a half-second maximum. chill out.

so what

it was boring as gently caress

Hey here's an idea, next agdq someone should speedrun loving topiary

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Rudager posted:

That was a world record time? :what:

He only has 79 hours on record of playing Velocity 2x :boom:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

symbolic posted:

So what's everyone's favorite GDQ run of all time? Mine is probably averagetrey's run of SMS at AGDQ 2015. I played the holy hell out of Sunshine back in the day and seeing someone get 120 shines in just 3 1/2 hours was amazing to watch.

In recent memory, it's probably Vice City.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

It looks like a pretty fast paced game, and the ability to skip levels at will based on score seems like it would make routing the game take a lot of time. I hope it becomes more popular.

It would have been more interesting to watch if the people on the couch had actually heard of the game before. I mean they were asking him what his guns do multiple times.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i really liked the game and thought it was pretty tense towards the end but this is SomethingAwful and you have to be jaded and cool and not enjoy anything

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Anyone got a good speed run of Paint Drying? I need some excitement after that run.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

don't blame the runner, blame the game. it looks lovely and boring

giant bomb did a quick look of it and you can see that the runner is clearly optimizing off of casual play, most people aren't teleporting every-loving-where

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Cowman posted:

They're probably hoping it builds a community for it because this looks like it can create some good runs.

Yea, and if that was WR, then there's a lot of space to make up even more time in future runs.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gamma Nerd posted:

i really liked the game and thought it was pretty tense towards the end but this is SomethingAwful and you have to be jaded and cool and not enjoy anything

it grew on me a lot as I began to understand the mechanics and the sfx became background noise.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Anyone got a good speed run of Paint Drying? I need some excitement after that run.
Have you heard about the sick new blowdryer tech?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cool Matty posted:

It's a run on SDA, submit it to a future event and see what happens!

The record is between 30-40 seconds (depending on who is making the rules) so I don't think they would get many donation messages in there

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

yeesh the vitriol, I thought you guys hated the L4D2 run and Fire Emblem but yikes

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think part of the issue is that Velocity 2x's gameplay is designed around perfecting a level (getting all the collectibles, not dying, finishing under target time, hitting a certain score threshold) and the game is really simple to get through if you aren't worrying about getting a perfect. Doing a single segment run of the game going for all perfects would be exhausting. A much cooler run would've been a sample of some of the more technical levels and getting perfects on them as quickly as possible.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

symbolic posted:

So what's everyone's favorite GDQ run of all time? Mine is probably averagetrey's run of SMS at AGDQ 2015. I played the holy hell out of Sunshine back in the day and seeing someone get 120 shines in just 3 1/2 hours was amazing to watch.

going for an all time classic:

Carl Sagan SMW2 with Trihex providing couch support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-LrpZlQ9Gs

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I thought the run wasn't gdq ready but the way you people are describing it as an offense against god is weird, he wasn't some super sperg or total embarrassment on camera, who was that guy who had the awful crash bandicoot 2 run last gdq? this was nothing compared to that

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Aces High posted:

yeesh the vitriol, I thought you guys hated the L4D2 run and Fire Emblem but yikes

People hate long boring runs when there could be like three other games run in the same time, yes.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
creeping through a dudes twitter and making GBS threads on a game he likes, good pages

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I thought that run was decent but about half an hour to long. Interestingly, I wonder if the game could go down half an hour if it was optimized and some glitches were found.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Gamma Nerd posted:

He beat his previous record by something like 3 minutes despite pausing in the middle to turn off steam notifications. As the only guy who runs the game, he really needed to have done more work on it before going to a GDQ event with it.

I mean, he was obviously trying (and he probably would've done better if he hadn't had to try to explain what he as doing as he was doing it), I just don't think he was ready for AGDQ. It didn't help that the game's SFX were poo poo and the visuals very repetitive. If the game itself looked and sounded better (or if more people ran the game) I don't think people would be giving him as much poo poo.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Well, I mean, I'm not personally big on games that look like esurance ads with sounds from a Bejeweled iOS knock-off, so that was impossible to watch.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Have you heard about the sick new blowdryer tech?

tool-assisted, doesn't count

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Toxxupation posted:

I thought the run wasn't gdq ready but the way you people are describing it as an offense against god is weird, he wasn't some super sperg or total embarrassment on camera, who was that guy who had the awful crash bandicoot 2 run last gdq? this was nothing compared to that

Yeah he was more "haha of course it was WR I have literally no competition" like he seemed chill and self-aware, and he did give his best, he just doesn't have a community really pushing him to better right now, maybe that will change in the future.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Run was ok. Definitely better than every second of non-hilarious gimmick zelda and mario they always cram into these.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

symbolic posted:

This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAbMyqOv_gk

Watch everything go wrong in a run with a man who refuses to give up, and a crowd and donation boost like a spirit bomb.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Toxxupation posted:

The thing is Crash Bandicoot 2 loving owns, but that runner was a loving garbage human and he got called out by everyone

Nobody has anything against this guy but this game/run was lame, long and repetitive

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

I lied about going to sleep and watched it while I made a late night dinner. The problem is that it dragged out and was repetitive.

Since the guy is the only one who runs it, he should have made an arbitrary "Levels 40-50" category. He could have done one or two earlier levels to show off the guns/moves and then blown it up with the awesome last levels.

Instead I was bored, and over the game by the time he got to the good stuff. But I gave it a legit chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

UGH TIME PUNS

they're not even puns! it's just the word "time" over and over!

• Locked thread