Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Landrobot posted:

Years to learn how to sharpen a knife?! Just watch some videos on youtube for stone sharpening and have at it. I bought various grit stones on https://www.chefknivestogo.com and practiced on my older Wustof to get the technique down. You get a feel and sound of the blade sharpening with practice, it's not hard at all.

Years to get the same sort of results an Edge Pro or similar knock off can get you, yes. I've used both, I can get a knife to razor sharpness on either, but the EP still gets me more consistent results in much less time, you can choose to believe me or not, that is up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh, you can certainly learn how to get some sort of edge on traditional stones within a few days with some practice, I've done it myself, but the EP will give similar results to what you get from a pro sharpener who sharpens for a living with a fraction of the work.

The professional quality sharpening for a novice is probably the key aspect that has consistently gone over my head, since I just sent/send my knives off to professionals when I truly feel out of my league. Also, I probably want the ability to produce that edge at will more than a casual user.

EDIT: I'll still advocate like an rear end in a top hat that everyone, everywhere learn to freehand. We all know the Internet is no place for quiet discourse that ends in one person changing their mind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are there any other tips for knife maintenance that aren't listed in the OP? My wife and I received a knife block & set as a Christmas present and I want to make it last. It came with a rough honing rod so I'm already thinking about getting a smooth one to replace it, I think I also saw a sharpening kit in another thread that kind of interested me but probably merits more research.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Are there any other tips for knife maintenance that aren't listed in the OP? My wife and I received a knife block & set as a Christmas present and I want to make it last. It came with a rough honing rod so I'm already thinking about getting a smooth one to replace it, I think I also saw a sharpening kit in another thread that kind of interested me but probably merits more research.

I didn't see this in the OP (sorry if it is obvious): Hand wash them. Don't run them through the dishwasher. Don't let them sit in the sink or stack stuff on top of them. Optimally just rinse + wipe them down and dry them off after every use. I'd use a cloth/towelette or something similar rather than a rough sponge or steel wool.

A rough rod is fine if they are German knives or even softer Japanese knives; it won't chip the softer steel and if anything the microserrations that form make it easier to cut through certain things. Depends on the knives ofc.

If only I could get my roommates to stop sticking the knives in the sink and then in the dishwasher. They get mad when I won't let them use my nice knives (which I keep in my bag under my bed lol) and it's like well dudes last time you used my piece of poo poo Mercer you left it wet and covered with sticky rice. :argh:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Yeah the only time I've ever left stuff covering my fancy knives was when I've had accidents with them and the coating is my blood and I am in the emergency room getting stitches.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Definitely wash and dry promptly, but use a sponge and dish soap, say I. I would worry about sanitation if I just wiped and rinsed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

Definitely wash and dry promptly, but use a sponge and dish soap, say I. I would worry about sanitation if I just wiped and rinsed.

Yeah fair enough. I worry about the sponge loving up the finish on my knife but it'd have to be a pretty rough sponge to do that.

If you don't ever let anything dry on the blade and baby the gently caress out of it I don't think it's a huge concern but a little soap every once in a while won't hurt as long as you are hand washing.

I'm not cutting a ton of meat lately either though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

A rough rod is fine if they are German knives or even softer Japanese knives; it won't chip the softer steel and if anything the microserrations that form make it easier to cut through certain things. Depends on the knives ofc.

These are German steel (Calaphon) and I have been sponging them to clean them so I guess I will stay the course on those.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

guppy posted:

Sponges harbor bacteria, they're terrible.

Rinse your knife in hot tap water and wipe it clean. If I've done anything with raw meat, I'll wipe it with a clorox wipe, then rinse and dry.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Sponges harbor bacteria, they're terrible.

Rinse your knife in hot tap water and wipe it clean. If I've done anything with raw meat, I'll wipe it with a clorox wipe, then rinse and dry.

Yea bleach is dumb as gently caress, soap and water is all you need.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I use little towels because that's what Sysco brings and now I'm used to it :) Sponges can get kinda gross though yeah.

Bleach seems harsh but whatevs a quick wipe probably won't do anything.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

Yea bleach is dumb as gently caress, soap and water is all you need.

Who said bleach? Clorox wipes are a disinfectant, no different that sanitizer in commercial kitchens.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
My tojiro dp came in the mail.

This is going to be the start of something beautiful :getin:

Out of the box edge is pretty good, but i could probably put a better one on later.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Who said bleach? Clorox wipes are a disinfectant, no different that sanitizer in commercial kitchens.
There is effectively no evidence that commercial disinfectants work better for sanitising a surface than soap and water. In both cases the most important factor in effective cleaning is to scrub vigorously enough to dislodge anything on the surface. Soaps assist in this by degreasing and sequestering small particulate poo poo, and application of additional disinfectants has no clinically significant effect beyond that.

And for the record, if you do need a food safe disinfectant, pure chlorine bleach is actually a pretty good choice when used at an appropriate dilution.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

SubG posted:

There is effectively no evidence that commercial disinfectants work better for sanitising a surface than soap and water. In both cases the most important factor in effective cleaning is to scrub vigorously enough to dislodge anything on the surface. Soaps assist in this by degreasing and sequestering small particulate poo poo, and application of additional disinfectants has no clinically significant effect beyond that.

And for the record, if you do need a food safe disinfectant, pure chlorine bleach is actually a pretty good choice when used at an appropriate dilution.

But I have absolutely no desire to scrub my knives. I'd rather not rub off the Kuroichi finish, thanks.

Also, please repeat that to a health inspector as to why you don't have sanitizer in your 3 compartment sink, or why there isn't sanitizer at every workstation, looooooooool.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

But I have absolutely no desire to scrub my knives. I'd rather not rub off the Kuroichi finish, thanks.
If you are not scrubbing enough to remove food, grease, and other material deposited on the blade from use then you are not cleaning the knife. If you are, you are cleaning the knife. If you are cleaning the knife, there is no evidence that disinfecting provides any additional benefit.

Also, please repeat that to a health inspector as to why you don't have sanitizer in your 3 compartment sink, or why there isn't sanitizer at every workstation, looooooooool.
As a cheffy chef you're presumably familiar with the correct use of those commercial sanitisers and so realise that applying them as you describe---that is, as a wipe---will not result in disinfection. A professional cheffy chef like you no doubt knows that in order to disinfect with most commercial santising compounds you need an application time of 10 minutes or so. Which a professional cheffy chef certainly would never do, as it would probably gently caress up their delicate kurouchi finish.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Commercial kitchens have requirements that are wildly different than what is necessary at home. News at 11.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Whatever man, you do what you do, I do what I do. I keep my knives clean, and you don't have to scrub them. Sorry I'd rather rinse and wipe than scrub! I'll change my ways ASAP!

Also, quat sanitizer is only a 30 second soak, same for application on a surface, but what would I know, being a cheffy chef and all.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 5, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Whatever man, you do what you do, I do what I do. I keep my knives clean, and you don't have to scrub them. Sorry I'd rather rinse and wipe than scrub! I'll change my ways ASAP!

Also, quat sanitizer is only a 30 second soak, same for application on a surface, but what would I know, being a cheffy chef and all.
Well, according to Clorox the dwell time (that is, the length of time you need to keep the surface visibly wet with the sanitising agent) for their disinfecting wipes is 4 minutes. Different products have different dwell times. The EPA's general recommendation for quats is 10 minutes. But I guess you can do what you do and they'll do what they do.

I mean I think you're kinda missing the point because you're apparently getting hung up on the word `scrub'. You have to remove the food and oils from the surface before using any sanitiser or disinfectant. If you have successfully removed the food and oils from the surface---whether you want to call the process you used to do so scrubbing or gently caressing---there is no clinical evidence that you have to do anything else.

This is not true for all surfaces---a scratched-up cutting board or a beat-up sink, for example---for which a surface cleaning is not going to remove all of the contaminant collected in nooks and crannies. But a simple wipe-down with a sanitiser isn't sufficient for them either.

But yeah, I mean I don't particularly give a poo poo what you do. I'm just throwing out the actual data on the subject for anyone else reading the thread who might care about it.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
A simple scrub with a leftover lemon on a cutting board will help sanitize its surface too.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
I think a freehand sharpening setup will allow you more flexibility in terms of maintenance than a jig system will get you. I feel I'm faster freehanding as well. But I've hardly spent any time on a jig system, so it seems natural that I'd find freehanding more natural, and thus be faster at it. If you spent the time that you do on a jig freehanding instead, perhaps you would find freehanding easier and would be more efficient at it as well. And the opposite would apply as well.

Regarding cleaning - sanitizing and disinfecting are two different things when being talked about in this context, no? The 30 second dwell time is for sanitizing, the several minute dwell time is for disinfecting.

I've never felt the need to use any type of sanitizing solution on a knife. I just wash with soap and water. If you feel the finish is too delicate for the scrubby side of a sponge, can't you use the cellulose sponge only side? Can a kurouchi finish not stand up to that? Plus you can disinfect the sponge in your quat/bleach solution if you're worried about the germs in the sponge since keeping the required long dwell time on the sponge seems way easier than even a short dwell time on a knife.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scott808 posted:

Regarding cleaning - sanitizing and disinfecting are two different things when being talked about in this context, no? The 30 second dwell time is for sanitizing, the several minute dwell time is for disinfecting.
No. Or at least not necessarily. The EPA defines three different tasks---cleaning (which is physically removing contaminants from the affected surface), sanitising (which is achieving a 5 log10 inactivation of specified pathogens), and disinfection (which is a 6.5 or 7 log10 inactivation). Many commercial cleaners are labelled for use for one or more of these tasks depending on concentration and dwell time. Clorox wipes are not such a product.

And I'll reiterate that this is all actually irrelevant. Why? Because the thing you want to accomplish is cleaning the knife---that is, you want to physically remove all the food, grease, and other biofilm that has accumulated on it. And you do that with soap and water. Once you've done that, there is literally no need to sanitise or disinfect. And if you haven't done that, then neither sanitising nor disinfecting will be effective. At least not using the kinds of methods we're talking about here (like if you threw your knife in an autoclave that would probably work but that's not what we're talking about). And even if it did that's not what you want---because you don't want a knife with a bunch of crap on it, even if the crap is sterile. You want it clean.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I clean my knives with soap and water using a kitchen sponge. Probably I could do better but I don't see the point. I doubt the stuff in the sponge is going to kill anyone. I'm talking about my home kitchen, not a professional setting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Also, you should be changing kitchen sponges pretty regularly.

This whole argument is silly. Sponges are a standard mechanism with which to clean kitchenware.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
anyone knows where to get the cck cleaver online in canada?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone have any experience with hohenmoorer knives? Kinda falling in love with the pattern and handle/etc.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think any knife is worth that much in terms of utility as a cooking tool if that's what you're asking.

If you just wanna drop that much because it's a pretty knife (it is!) then go for it. I'm sure they are very well made.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

KingColliwog posted:

I had no luck with this a couple of years ago. Finally got one at Tinland during a visit to Vancouver, which is kind of useless information for the rest of Canada.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I like turtles posted:

Anyone have any experience with hohenmoorer knives? Kinda falling in love with the pattern and handle/etc.

From what little info I can find they look to be of good quality.

Moridin920 posted:

I don't think any knife is worth that much in terms of utility as a cooking tool if that's what you're asking.

If you just wanna drop that much because it's a pretty knife (it is!) then go for it. I'm sure they are very well made.

I disagree, there are plenty of 100% utilitarian knives that will cost you $300+ that have absolute qualitative differences with cheaper knives, especially once you start looking at more specialized knives in a professional setting.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hexigrammus posted:

I had no luck with this a couple of years ago. Finally got one at Tinland during a visit to Vancouver, which is kind of useless information for the rest of Canada.

meh. Thanks for the info

No US merchant that will ship to Canada either or is the shipping just prohibitive

e: Ok answered my own question. Chefknifetogo sell it for 70$ and with shipping it's a little over 100$ which is quite a bit more than the "around 40$" of the OP.

Where do you guys get yours in the US? Has it just gotten quite a bit more expensive since this thread started?

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 6, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

From what little info I can find they look to be of good quality.

I disagree, there are plenty of 100% utilitarian knives that will cost you $300+ that have absolute qualitative differences with cheaper knives, especially once you start looking at more specialized knives in a professional setting.

Yeah, versus cheaper knives sure. Of course there's a difference between a $200 knife and a $30 Wal Mart special.

The difference between a $200-300 knife and a $600-700 knife? I doubt there's much positive marginal utility at that point.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 6, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Steel material and hardness. Also stuff $600 and up are usually hand made by masters of their craft. When you get into high end knives, you're paying for decades of experience, and a hand made item from someone who truly loves their craft.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that and I'm not saying they aren't ever worth getting. I'm just saying I feel like a $200 knife will cut a tomato just as well as a $600 knife.

More hardness isn't something that is automatically good and fwiw the knives that person posted are like 60-63 HRC :shrug:

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 6, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Generally when you get into that price range you'll see powdered steels like ZDP-189 and HAP40 which can reach 65+.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

KingColliwog posted:

If youre in Toronto theres a shop on Pacific mall that sells them.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

KingColliwog posted:

meh. Thanks for the info

No US merchant that will ship to Canada either or is the shipping just prohibitive

e: Ok answered my own question. Chefknifetogo sell it for 70$ and with shipping it's a little over 100$ which is quite a bit more than the "around 40$" of the OP.

Where do you guys get yours in the US? Has it just gotten quite a bit more expensive since this thread started?

It was the shipping that got me when I was looking. I don't even want to think about what the prices now that our petrodollar is wallowing in the crapper.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Generally when you get into that price range you'll see powdered steels like ZDP-189 and HAP40 which can reach 65+.

Wow!!!

This doesn't refute the marginal gains point being made.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Wow!!!

This doesn't refute the marginal gains point being made.

Well, you can get HAP40 as low as $200, just generally when you get into those price ranges you see high quality steels that are usually hand hammered and finished, ans usually have some sort of unique design or hamon baked on.

e: and never underestimate the quality of handle, Handle can easily cost you around $100 of that $600+

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Well, you can get HAP40 as low as $200, just generally when you get into those price ranges you see high quality steels that are usually hand hammered and finished, ans usually have some sort of unique design or hamon baked on.

e: and never underestimate the quality of handle, Handle can easily cost you around $100 of that $600+

Which is true, and a nice handle feels great, but at the end of the day it could be cheap plastic and wouldn't really have much bearing on the cutting ability of the knife as long as it fit your grip well.

All I'm saying is if you're looking to buy a $600 knife, realize you're paying for the workmanship, art, materials, and skill required to hand forge and finish the thing - just don't expect it to cut way better than a $200-300 one is all. Like sure a knife forged from the iron of a meteor is cool as hell but is it really going to make you better at dicing an onion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Present posted:

If youre in Toronto theres a shop on Pacific mall that sells them.

I'm in Quebec, but my best friend lives in Toronto. I'll give them a call to see what they sell it for and might ask my friend to buy one for me.

• Locked thread